• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Midora - 2D Zelda/Secret of Mana game Of pure awesomeness

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedexpeon

Banned
Holy shit, and they think showing this comparison is helpful to their cause?

I'm sorry your clearly talented pixel artists put so much work into what is unfortunately a blatant ripoff.

It looks different to me.
These pixel artstyles all look similar in the end. I can't even count how many time I swore that something looks like another from all my time playing 16-32bits games from the NES to 3DS period.

jpax

Looks a bit like Secrets of Grindea. Really liking the idea and the art style. Will definitely watch this game!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
These pixel artstyles all look similar in the end. I can't even count how many time I swore that something looks like another from all my time playing 16-32bits games from the NES to 3DS period.
Even the main character looks like minish cap Link and they make no attempt to hide it. They need to differentiate themselves better if they're making a commercial product. Otherwise it looks too much like Minish Cap HD.

GRW810

IS it just me our is there no listed platforms? How am I supposed to back something if I don't know whether it's coming to the console I own?

nynt9

I don't like port begging, but it's a shame that this is only coming to PC platforms (I'd totally play it on PC if the artwork situation wasn't dodgy), as this would do well on consoles. Isn't XNA basically abandoned by Microsoft?

Easy_D

never left the stone age

There's similar and then there's
minishcap_house.png

Dascu

I find it hard to believe this didn't start as a Zelda fan-game at some point. I was checking the dev names to see if I recognize anyone back from ZFGC.

And to be honest, given how many of such fan-game projects there are, I don't really see why they would need 60k USD to develop it.

wrowa

The graphics remind me of my RPG Maker days about 10 years ago. I remember editing existing tilesets of old 16-bit RPGs in order to create something that looks kinda new - and I'm pretty sure the same thing happened here too.

And it's an absolutely okay thing to do when you're making a non-commercial product. If you edit the graphics enough (in a way that you can't recognize the original anymore), it's also okay for commercial products, I guess. But in this case it's just way too close to the original's graphics. I doubt Nintendo particularly cares about it (at least as long as the devs aren't trying to get their games on a console), but it still just doesn't feel right.

And to be honest, given how many of such fan-game projects there are, I don't really see why they would need 60k USD to develop it.

There are hundreds of fan projects for everything. Why buy a new Mario platformer when there are a thousand of those free of charge on the internet? If the devs don't want to work on the project as a hobby anymore, then looking for funding is an absolute valid thing to do. Usually it also affects the quality of a game positively when a team (or at least the leads) actually work full-time on a project and not just during their spare time. So, if there are people interested enough in a project to invest in it, it's a win-win for everyone, really.

Chaos17

I'm sorry but I won't support a rip off.
The pixel artist is enough talented to do something else.
I would prefered a (free) fan fiction a Mimish Cap in HD than this.

Edit : since it's (might be) not traced, I will say that I dislike seeing a Zelda clone graphics while the guy has the skills to do something this nice.
He should try to do his own "art".

Parfait

Yall smokin dat HD Bush

It looks a little similar but i dont even think they're that close. Hardly a 'ripoff'. I'm gonna have to see way more than a few trees, bushes and cliff tiles if someone wants to convince me that it looks the same.

trinest

If you look at the original stuff like the boat it really is different in terms of detail and execution then the Minish Cap inspired HD sprites.

ChipotIe

Banned
Some aspects are clearly inspired but that is by no means a reason to completely shrug the entire project off. It's kind of silly to cast aside the work of an entire team just because the pixel artist stayed too close to their influence.

And stretchgoals:
PS4 on $150,000 (and Xbox, I guess they mean Xbox One on this)
3DS on $200,000
WiiU on $220,000

HAHAHAHAHAHA

fucking disgusting, so they rip off the art style from a Nintendo game and then shaft Nintendo owners by putting them to the back of the queue with unreachable stretch goals, even the base goal looks a bit unreachable and I was expecting they'd throw Wii U into the base goal just to give it a chance but they really don't have a clue do they

Ninja Dom

It looked interesting at first glance, then I saw it looks a LOT like recent 2D Zelda.

Also I'm a console gamer (only game on my Mac for Team Fortress 2) and the console versions are quite a bit of a stretch goal - especially the console's I own.

Wow, another indie game blatantly ripping off (read: inspired by) pixel art that relies heavily on nostalgia... It's baffling how these people get away with it.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

fucking disgusting, so they rip off the art style from a Nintendo game and then shaft Nintendo owners by putting them to the back of the queue with unreachable stretch goals, even the base goal looks a bit unreachable and I was expecting they'd throw Wii U into the base goal just to give it a chance but they really don't have a clue do they

This x1000,

luca_aros

Neo Member
I'm sorry but I won't support a rip off.
The pixel artist is enough talented to do something else.
I would prefered a (free) fan fiction a Mimish Cap in HD than this.

Its not a rip-off... ;)

However some people claim that the graphics are literally from Minish Cap, and that Nintendo will "never allow Midora to be released" because of that. Sure, if you make a passing glance and played Minish Cap years ago, they might look identical. But all of Midora's graphics are original. There are no “placeholders” lifted from Minish Cap. None of Minish Cap's, or any assets from other games, have been used at all in the making of Midora's tiles, sprites, or any of the other graphics. We've whipped up a few comparisons to some of the specific claims to show you just how different they are.

This is the pre-text to those pics

PsionBolt

Dont see the Secret of Mana influence. Seems purely like a Zelda clone.

Agreed. Not seeing any Seiken Densetsu here, be it in art, music, or gameplay.

I enjoyed Minish Cap. I won't be backing, but if this ever comes out, and if GAF says it's good, I might check it out.

Ronnie

Banned
If you're going to completely rip off a Nintendo game, at least have the decency to develop for Wii U in addition to other platforms and not make it an unreachable stretch goal.

People need to learn the difference between a pure rip-off and an art-style heavily inspired by a game.

It's like saying that Final Fantasy I had no business being the same genre as Dragon Quest I.

aiDQXAx.gif

Geez, you can even match individual branches.

However some people claim that the graphics are literally from Minish Cap, and that Nintendo will "never allow Midora to be released" because of that. Sure, if you make a passing glance and played Minish Cap years ago, they might look identical. But all of Midora's graphics are original.

um... no.

Metallix87

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Yep, it's disgusting. Sadly, I don't think it reaches the goal for ANY console port, so it's irrelevant.

Melter

is it just me or does this this game look like its ripping off The Minish Cap (at least visually)? Isn't this plagiarism?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Some aspects are clearly inspired but that is by no means a reason to completely shrug the entire project off. It's kind of silly to cast aside the work of an entire team just because the pixel artist stayed too close to their influence.

No shit. I backed it solely to spite these mean-spirited gaming hipsters. It's just a few kids trying to get some experience making a game inspired by a classic. What kind of heartless douchebag would have a problem with that?

haigyman

Secret of Mana in the title got me all excited that this would be 3 player co-op, but instead it's basically just an HD Minish Cap.

why isn't there some sort of indie take on Secret of Mana (including the co-op play)? Or is there and I'm just not aware of it?

BasilZero

"Yes. Our plan is to release Midora for PC, Mac and Linux if we reach our initial goal of $60,000."

Only 48k more to go!

zoukka

People need to learn the difference between a pure rip-off and an art-style heavily inspired by a game.

It's like saying that Final Fantasy I had no business being the same genre as Dragon Quest I.

You can clearly see the Minish Cap assets were laid out as a base for their own assets. That's completely different than two games sharing limitations of a platform (FF and DQ).

TimmiT

HAHAHAHAHAHA

If you put the incredibly obvious Minish Cap inspiration aside, it makes sense to put it on PS4 and Xbox One before putting it on Nintendo platforms. More people have those consoles and their downloadable games don't have DRM that's nearly as terrible as Nintendo's DRM.

If you put the incredibly obvious Minish Cap inspiration aside, it makes sense to put it on PS4 and Xbox One before putting it on Nintendo platforms. More people have those consoles and their downloadable games don't have DRM that's nearly as terrible as Nintendo's DRM.

Actually more people have Wii U than have an xbone, also Nintendo fans would likely be more receptive to a game "playing homage" to a classic Nintendo title and i would suspect Nintendo would be less likely to take a dim view of the being ripped off if it was on their own system

Faerith

Neo Member
Wow, there's inspiration and then there's "inspiration", but it sure looks really nice.
The leaftree and some other stuff go into the right direction as being inspired but still being their own thing,
but other tiles like the earthwalls are still too close to the original source.

Using the same(ish?) colourpalette sure doesn't help with perception,
but I actually have no idea - are colour-palette (which can be very specific in style) somehow protected or free for all?

Secret of Mana in the title got me all excited that this would be 3 player co-op, but instead it's basically just an HD Minish Cap.

why isn't there some sort of indie take on Secret of Mana (including the co-op play)? Or is there and I'm just not aware of it?
There was: Crystal Kingdom. It was even on greenlight but then
http://indiestatik.com/2013/11/07/seyken-crystal-kingdom/ happened.

gngf123

PS4 I will give you, but there are more WiiU units out there than Xbox Ones. Also, the target audience for this I imagine largely crosses over with Zelda fans, which are going to be on the WiiU.

Although maybe those same fans will see the Minish Cap similarities and ignore it. Could work out that way.

Using the same(ish?) colourpalette sure doesn't help with perception,
but I actually have no idea - are colour-palette (which can be very specific in style) somehow protected or free for all?

I imagine it is hard to protect something like that. But I agree, the colour palette is really what makes the two look so similar to me.

aiDQXAx.gif

Geez, you can even match individual branches.

When you can overlay the two and have them match up like that, then it's pretty clear that copying has been going on.

There's nothing wrong with paying a bit of homage to the classics, but basing all your art assets on assets from another game is going to far by half. Especially when you're trying to sell this as a commercial product. Double especially when you're asking for Kickstarter money first.

ramparter

Banned
When you can overlay the two and have them match up like that, then it's pretty clear that copying has been going on.

There's nothing wrong with paying a bit of homage to the classics, but basing all your art assets on assets from another game is going to far by half.

To be fair not all of their assets are that similar. This tree is the one that looks the most like the MC one.

The stuff like the boat that I think is original is pretty good, but the entire thing is ruined by the blatant plagiarizing of minish cap in other things.

There's just no way you could get them that close unconsciously, someone has to have been looking directly at the minish cap artwork repeatedly during the design of a lot of the in game assets that we've been shown.

deleted

Clearly more that just inspired by their source, but truth to be told I don't have a problem with that, als long as they created all their work by themselves.

The Minish Cap look won't be revisited by Nintendo anytime soon, the HDified version they put out looks great and if they can match gameplay and sound, they are on to something good. It's not enough for me to kickstart this project, but if it turns out good, I'll buy it when released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom