• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread - 2014 - Making promising projects a reality

Part of the Planetary Annihilation team of Uber Entertainment has splitted off to work on a new RTS title called Human Resources.

"The robot apocalypse gets complicated when tentacle monsters crash the party. Humans are the resource in this epic strategy game."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/human-resources-an-apocalyptic-rts-game

DAT TRAILER. The goal is $1.4 million is pretty ambitious being that not everyone liked PA.
Love the concept, but I'm not sure that trailer was gameplay.

One of the guidelines I follow is to not back campaigns that don't show any gameplay. I really hope it succeeds though, because the idea sounds really cool

Part of the Planetary Annihilation team of Uber Entertainment has splitted off to work on a new RTS title called Human Resources.

"The robot apocalypse gets complicated when tentacle monsters crash the party. Humans are the resource in this epic strategy game."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/human-resources-an-apocalyptic-rts-game

DAT TRAILER. The goal is $1.4 million is pretty ambitious being that not everyone liked PA.

wow looks absolutely sick!!! the graphics looks very planetary annihilation which i love.

Yeah I was checking and there are some that already finished :p
You might want to double check that ;)

So I had put together a few stat for another thread.
Of the 231 projects featured in this thread so far:
- 125 successfully funded
- 35 funded at least 200%
- 67 failed
- 23 cancelled/suspended

eltantillo

Neo Member
You might want to double check that ;)

So I had put together a few stat for another thread.
Of the 231 projects featured in this thread so far:
- 125 successfully funded
- 35 funded at least 200%
- 67 failed
- 23 cancelled/suspended

that's some nice info :) i'll keep an eye for that thread

eltantillo

Neo Member
Hey, why didn't say you were the dev, post pics or something? If you got a cool game, flaunt it. Honestly, I should have recognized your name; I've been reading the TIGForum devlog since you started it

Haha, sorry I didn´t wanted to spam :p, here are some GIFS if by chance you update the second post with my game :D

8517c7d1d175c09fd6ecddbc13d1ecb7_large.gif

94a9347f8d59130ead8b3af0952ce65f_large.gif

e7a2c64b5187323005472310d5b1d1fa_large.gif

Salaadin

Videogames Live is launching a kickstarter for a fourth album on October 20th. Their level 3 album was great and had done really nice rewards too.

They're having a poll right now for one of the reward tiers:
VGL said:
WE NEED YOUR HELP!! What Piano Arrangement Album should we create as a Reward for our LEVEL 4 Kickstarter (launching on October 20th)! There are 5 options to chose from. Please click the link and click on your favorite! Thanks!
http://e3.kickstarter.com/mpss/c/1g...L8StVqGwqbTvjKCwzVwFePXGxXJ8gC8h2nZWKKA-3D-3D

I really want ICO/Sotc to win. We never get new arrangements of stuff from those games but it's up against Chrono so it's probably a lost cause

Final HoursAdded to Ongoing
Elegy for a Dead World
Explore dead civilizations, write about what you find, and share your stories with the universe: a game about writing fiction.
d8f6e87a5e10b2ea2abab6699505fbfc_large.gif

Highlands
Highlands is a beautiful hand-drawn strategy game with unique characters, resources management and RPG elements.
3ca8cc513bbf7c39bec8b7ba353b742b_large.jpg

The Land of Eyas Returns
An extremely challenging puzzler/platformer with dangerous obstacles that flips gravity upside-down
a8d3af796d6a64dcdd787ba6f63d79d4_large.png

Beyond Human
Beyond Human is a Metroidvania Sci-Fi platformer inspired by Metroid, Megaman, and Devil May Cry.
8517c7d1d175c09fd6ecddbc13d1ecb7_large.gif

Dark Drive
Dark Drive is a classic side-scrolling Action-RPG game inspired by Metroid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Devil May Cry
770ae019a0166ffe040d431952f67772_large.gif

Human Resources
The robot apocalypse gets complicated when tentacle monsters crash the party. Humans are the resource in this epic strategy game.
0dd007e2180aa546b386279daf6dd3fd_large.jpg

Final HoursAdded to Ongoing
H. P. Lovecraft: The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
Travel back to vintage Providence and face horrors lurking underneath in the first official game based on the work of the famed writer.
637x358.resizedimage

Combo Queen
A fast paced hack and slash action RPG with crazy intuitive combo gameplay for the iOS and Android devices!
c4ae1b38987712dc683105ac320cce8c_large.gif

Buildanauts
Build a town from the ground up in this open-world construction simulator for industrious boys and girls of all ages.
ce1e1267fe4701d7e519524bfecbc683_large.gif

The Flame in the Flood
A rogue-lite river journey through the backwaters of a forgotten post-societal America. Forage, craft, evade predators
PleasingGenuineAmericanwarmblood.gif

The Black Glove
An eerie, surrealistic, first-person game experience by an independent team of developers who helped make BioShock Infinite & BioShock.
f7ac97edfab2456c29b9ecdb8bda3f33_large.jpg

The Flame in the Flood looks utterly fantastic.
Yeah, I wasn't planning on backing anything until a few weeks but damn, I couldn't not back that.

It's from former Irrational devs (art director of Bishock/Bioshock Infinite, etc.) and other devs who worked on stuff like Halo 2 and Medal of Honor Airborne, so the team has one hell of a pedigree

SlyRebirth

Square Enix Collective
Hello, Phil from Square Enix Collective here - apologies for the intrusion, but the dev hasn't had his GAF account authorised yet, so posting on their behalf.

Black The Fall

ac21f8c378b8612c3e96617e41fc603b_large.gif

0c36373ec6ee36e02b4115311a7526f3_large.gif

a94ca89d155de25025f3be3b6feb18b7_large.gif

Inspired by Amiga classics Flashback and Another World, Black The Fall is a 2.75D game about choice: you can use weapons and confront challenges with violence, or stay hidden from threatening marauders. It's an intriguing mix like a movie made by Tarkovski, Tarantino and Rodriguez.

Here's the campaign trailer - definitely worth a look.

The game has 17 days remaining on its campaign, and stands at just over £12,000 of a total £25,000 target. There's plenty more visual goodness on the campaign itself.

tebunker

Banned
There's also a demo.
Looks cool I am going to have to try that demo out.

I don't like kickstarting stuff, I am just too leery, but I will gladly contribute in other ways, ie; awareness etc. and once a project is completed I will buy it. I am glad others have more of a stomach for this kind of crowd funding risk than me.

Looks cool I am going to have to try that demo out.

I don't like kickstarting stuff, I am just too leery, but I will gladly contribute in other ways, ie; awareness etc. and once a project is completed I will buy it. I am glad others have more of a stomach for this kind of crowd funding risk than me.
Leery of what? Projects being scams?

tebunker

Banned
Leery of what? Projects being scams?
No just not coming through at all not necessarily a scam, or it coming through in a timely manner. I can do more with that money now, rather than tying it up in a kickstarter.

I don't want or need rewards, and I don't believe in the whole its a preorder thing either. I don't preorder game anyway.

Trust me it has been hard too, there have been several games with early bird discounts and they look awesome, but again I don't have the appetite for the risk that others do. That's what it ultimately boils down to. Even for a $15 pledge I would rather put that money in to something I can use now and is more tangible.

No just not coming through at all not necessarily a scam, or it coming through in a timely manner. I can do more with that money now, rather than tying it up in a kickstarter.

I don't want or need rewards, and I don't believe in the whole its a preorder thing either. I don't preorder game anyway.

Trust me it has been hard too, there have been several games with early bird discounts and they look awesome, but again I don't have the appetite for the risk that others do. That's what it ultimately boils down to. Even for a $15 pledge I would rather put that money in to something I can use now and is more tangible.
Ah, yeah, that's definitely true

I tend to back that games that I knew of beforehand (Rain World, SuperHOT, etc.) so I guess that concern of project not coming out is diminished when I've been following dev's progress for a few weeks/months (years in Rain World's case)

m@cross

Hello, Phil from Square Enix Collective here - apologies for the intrusion, but the dev hasn't had his GAF account authorised yet, so posting on their behalf.

Black The Fall

ac21f8c378b8612c3e96617e41fc603b_large.gif

a94ca89d155de25025f3be3b6feb18b7_large.gif

Inspired by Amiga classics Flashback and Another World, Black The Fall is a 2.75D game about choice: you can use weapons and confront challenges with violence, or stay hidden from threatening marauders. It's an intriguing mix like a movie made by Tarkovski, Tarantino and Rodriguez.

Here's the campaign trailer - definitely worth a look.

The game has 17 days remaining on its campaign, and stands at just over £12,000 of a total £25,000 target. There's plenty more visual goodness on the campaign itself.

Looks interesting, am already watching it to see if it gets close to the console stretch goal.

Final Hours
Added to Upcoming
InnerSpace - Oct 20th
InnerSpace is an exploration-heavy flying game. Set in a world where physics are inverted, the player flies in a spherical world surrounded by water, where gravity falls away from the center. Take the role of an unnamed cartographer to explore the various bubble-worlds, collect relics, and encounter each bubble’s unique patron deity
AjarLargeAlaskankleekai.gif

Added to Ongoing
Fortune's Tavern
Manage a tavern, explore procedurally generated forests and dungeons, breed monsters, quest for recipes, interact with hundreds of NPCs
ftavern.jpg

Black The Fall
Experience the alienation of a post-industrial era in a thrilling sidescroller; a strange and unexpected black and white dream.

Ascent
Ascent: The Space Game - PvE Space MMO with 270 billion star systems
dOGDIotibnRr2pxfVysBDIkhWrqpZIc3JhmIgPh64JwFclo4-DvGweJZgYOX9GME11YlOJATsZREqvlQqRfXvlpdXED4sH5eNuVEB8UHHgjRxqVPyXxTSuSOy_wI_xjlmEFV2mGhADb3T4DLVJ0T6HG_ROKQ7P3H=w506-h284

Battlestation
A space station simulation roguelike-like strategy game. Inspired by Babylon 5 and Faster Than Light.
battlestation3-300x168.jpg

Animal Gods
Beautifully stylized action adventure game set in 15th century BC (Bronze Age Europe). Single-player journey to an ancient open world
maxresdefault.jpg

Sneak & battle your way through a procedurally generated mothership in this stealth action RPG!
f41cdf680a02a66aef8e1782128ed1cf_large.png

Golden Hour
A hi-res pixel art metroidvania with juicy destruction and a thrilling, timeline-twisting story!
66f8b532dcc97e81a4e9dabfeed0b5fe_large.gif

Impact Winter
A post-apocalyptic survival adventure set upon the remnants of a buried Earth.
resizedimage638359-impact-winter-gameplay2.png

Commodore Amiga: a Visual Compendium
A book that celebrates the beauty of the Commodore Amiga. Full of pixel art, iconic box art and contributions from industry legends
photo-main.jpg

Rogue Wizards
Battle creatures, collect loot, master magic, and build a Wizard Tower sanctuary in a rogue-like, dungeon-crawling, town-building RPG.
rogue-wizards-news-kickstarter.png

Red Cobra
Shoot, bomb, explore and solve puzzles in order to put an end to the evil organization G.R.I.P. and their campaign to rule the world.
red_titan.gif

Cole
Cole is a 2D dark-comedy platformer adventure, the World’s First Coal-Shoveling Simulator Set in Space
screen1.png

The Very Organized Thief
The Very Organized Thief is a casual first person stealth game which lets you play as a thief with a very peculiar way of looting. You know you shouldn’t be there, but you are compelled to collect everything on your list. You are The Very Organized Thief!
thief2-thumb-480x270-13364.png

Extract 237
A sci-fi survival horror game set deep inside a gigantic living creature
extract237-level-02.jpg

Hazewalker
A painterly 2.5D Metroidvania about harnessing the power that destroyed your homeland in order to save it
cbea27db0fe137ee3d0ad93920cee154_large.gif

HM SPIFFING
Her Majesty the Queen of England kindly seeks one's assistance in this intergalactic point and click adventure game.
f60a89cbae8b6fa09f20004c66012597_large.jpg

Voxel Quest.
$16k out of a $30k goal.

RNG, isometric, voxel-based RPG. Run of the mill. But what really impressed me was how fucking detailed his campaign page was both financially and technically. He's also not screwing around with release dates: 2017. This is basically his first game.

All in all, I am really interested in hearing how people react to the listed salaries he intends to pay his staff.

Final HoursAdded to Upcoming
Gliese - November 4th
GLIESE is an upcoming 2D action-adventure RPG, inspired by great games like Half-Life, Borderlands, and Shadow of the Colossus.
giphy.gif

Added to Ongoing
Voxel Quest
An Isometric, Voxel-Based, Roguelike-Simulation-RPG-thing
699fdd35b8d4ca7bd4342a00acef699a_large.png

Basement
In Basement, you play as a great scientist that has to do not-exactly-legal stuff underground, as nobody wants to support his idea. Basement is all about management. You build your own enterprise producing and researching drugs. Find the right place, build production rooms, hire workers and security staff, avoid federal agents and raise the most effective company.
388e6c7e2814a753caa32f66c6bb77be_large.png

Boss Fight Books: Season 2
Great books on classic video games. Baldur's Gate II, Metal Gear Solid, Bible Adventures, Spelunky, and World of Warcraft.
7ec6316dc7c71d8b026ea1948d0232e1_large.jpg

Video Games Live: Level 4!
The 4th album from the award-winning multimedia symphonic/rock decade long world touring video game concert event... Video Games Live!
cd0059382761683a559a99fe44fcc2fc_large.jpg

InnerSpace
An exploration flying game set within an inverted planet. Explore a unique world, encounter its gods, and discover its secrets.
77320a6bf1b4d9c4e97c92c8bf7dc61a_large.gif

Damn

After reading and re-reading all of the feedback that we have received on articles, forums, and other sources, one thing has become clear: we are not making the game that people are excited to play...

...For now, we intend to put Hazewalker to the side, and look to our next project and exploring all of the possibilities that it holds.

I thought that the game looked much too early for doing a Kickstarter, but man, they're shelving the game so fast. Not even a "We're going to work on improving and polishing the game, try again later". Too early for a campaign, high goal, not much press, a lot of factors play into why the KS wasn't doing well, not..."people aren't excited to play"

Dascu

That's a lot of Kickstarters unlikely to meet their funding goals. I think the general audience is a bit sick of crowd-funding right now.

Human Resources was also cancelled
The time has come to shut down the Kickstarter for Human Resources. Every Kickstarter prediction model is showing that we will come up woefully short of our goal. Running a Kickstarter is a full time job for several people. As a small indie, we can’t continue spending time and money focusing on a project that won’t get funded. We simply don’t have the human resources. #seewhatididthere

So what happens now? After we've spent some “recovery time,” which consists of a dark room and probably some sobbing, Nate and I will regroup and figure out what to do next. Who knows what the future holds for Human Resources? One thing is for sure, Human Resources, as pitched in this Kickstarter, is over. But we adore the world of Human Resources and will endeavor to do what we can to bring it to life in some form.

Top Bottom