• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread - 2014 - Making promising projects a reality

Added Kodama and Hero Trap to the OP

Two KS that I'm anticipating are starting next week:
Dead Years - Open world zombie game (wait...come back!) that's reminiscent of Project Zomboid, but with a painterly art style, grim lonely atmosphere, fast undead, and a dog
Bin2DptCQAErfhT.jpg:large

Lemma - First person parkour across abstract landscapes

Sojiro

Awesome thread! Subbed and will definitely check often. Really hoping Earthlock meets its funding, backed it as soon as it relaunched. It looked fantastic the first time it went up for funding, and does so even more now. The hero trap and dragon fin soup look really good as well, definitely need to put some money behind them.

Fans of sci-fi noir should keep an eye on Last Life. It'll be hitting Kickstarter soon
Last Life is a sci-fi noir adventure game about a transhumanist colony on Mars. When a murdered detective is 3D printed back into existence, he reopens his last case to uncover what he missed--a hunt that reveals AI corruption, corporate espionage, and the conspiracy that may have led to Earth's doom.
Gameplay is inspired by point and click adventure games like Kentucky Route Zero and Telltale's Walking Dead series. Last Life focuses on atmosphere and storytelling, while also challenging the player's detective skills of interrogation and deduction.
Resleeve2_HD.png

Prisonscape is launching an Indiegogo campaign in April; I'm highly anticipating this one.
Prisonscape is an adventure/RPG game that is taking place in prison. The player needs to survive in this harsh and violent environment. Inside you have to deal with such things as constant assaults, creating and using weapons, interacting with other prisoners and learning the trade inside the jail. The player can develop his character to be, for example, a strong, tough fighter or an intelligent, charismatic manipulator.
grid-battle.gif
The developers have been active in the NeoGaf thread and what's most intriguing about their game IMO is the raw gritty atmosphere they crafting, in terms of portraying the realistic brutality of prison life

Added to Ongoing:

MONT-DE-CASTEL
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/118959898/mont-de-castel

The Survival Games
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/960282592/the-survival-games

Chaos Reborn
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1206403106/chaos-reborn-from-the-creator-of-the-original-x-co
---
Now I know, I was thinking the same thing, The Survival Games is just a shameless ripoff of The Hunger Games. But the more I thought about it, I realized that no game has attempted to capture that mix of desperate arena combat and realistic survival elements yet and that the game adds its own style with cool natural threats like meteor strikes, landslides, earthquakes, etc.

I think it's a project worth checking out. Yeah the name and logo is a bit too close to The Hunger Games, but the genre started by The Most Dangerous Game and Lord of Flies and made popular by Battle Royale and The Hunger Games hasn't really been represented in gaming yet.

Sithus

Neo Member
"Gbanga Famiglia Rise and Fall is a mafia-themed open world game that is based on the real world through open data. It turns traditional game concepts such as racing, heists and strategic organization into an immersive mobile massive multiplayer online (MMO) outdoor game that you will play everywhere and at all times."

20140121073350-Open_World_Racing_580px.png

If you like Ingress please help this game 10 days to go! Made in Switzerland!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gbanga-famiglia-rise-and-fall-game

20140121073447-Platforms_Slide_580px.png

R0ckman

Added Kodama and Hero Trap to the OP

Two KS that I'm anticipating are starting next week:
Dead Years - Open world zombie game (wait...come back!) that's reminiscent of Project Zomboid, but with a painterly art style, grim lonely atmosphere, fast undead, and a dog

Is this for sure going to be on kickstarter next week or is this an estimation? Going to mark my calendar so I don't forget.

I'm still not convinced this is a real project. The pictures look so fake, like poorly textured bear paws photoshopped into other game environments

Is this for sure going to be on kickstarter next week or is this an estimation? Going to mark my calendar so I don't forget.
I asked the developers on Monday and they said sometime this week, no specific date.

But I kind of expect it to be delayed; that seems to be norm with dates. In that Upcoming list, there are games that developers said would be Kickstarting in February

Asked the Dead Years devs again about their KS
It should be online in the next few days. We're adding some cool stuff:)
---
Dysfunctional System, Celestian Tales: Old North, and Dragon Fin Soup are funded, with time left to spare.
---
Kill The Bad Guy's campaign was cancelled. Unfortunate, it was a puzzle assassination game with a lot of potential and a solid foundation already
---
One project I think definitely deserves more attention and support is Standpoint. The campaign has a very modest goal of £7,500, and it's a first person gravity-swapping platformer. The prologue demo is early, but demonstrates the mechanics and potential nicely
Check out the Standpoint Kickstarter here

Shrug Island was funded in its final hours!
---
Dead Years's KS is set to launch on the 28th
---
Question for you guys, the dev for Cosmochoria asked this in the Indie thread. What do you prefer or find more effective, KS videos that are all gameplay or videos that feature the developer talking about the game?

Personally I prefer straight-up gameplay. I feel it demonstrates a greater sense of confidence in the project, a sense of "I don't have to tell you why this game is cool and interesting, because the gameplay does that".

What do you think?

Edit: here's the exact quote
I had a question though - I'm at a block regards to the main video to use for the kickstarter project. I have a 'personal' video in the works with me talking about the game, showing lots of gameplay footage, behind the scenes art, etc but I am wondering if maybe I should just go with more of a straight gameplay type trailer? What do you look for when you see a kickstarter project.. Does 'meeting the developer' help influence your decision to back a project? I really see success come from both sides of the coin, so I think as long as it's well done, it's all I can do, but... maybe I should keep my ugly mug out of the video?

When we talked about this while putting together our Kickstarter for Darkest Dungeon we came to the conclusion that no one cares who you are unless you're already a 'celebrity'.

People don't look at whole Kickstarter pages and make a decision. They make a decision every few seconds. Are they interested enough to keep watching/reading? They're going to decide if they're interested in the project first, and then they'll take a look at who you are to check that its not a scam / you seem like you have the skills to do what you're promising.

Any delay in showing them the project is time when they could decide they're not interested enough to stay on the page. That was our take on it anyways.

EDIT: I should note that our Kickstarter video wasn't a straight gameplay video, but it did show you what the project was instead of having a talking head describing it.

This was basically the idea that my business partner views KS. I think it's pretty much a crapshoot, myself.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1364524925/night-of-the-living-deb-a-feature-film/

Not gaming related (I didn't see anything like this in the OT side)...but a friend is working on this film. Zombie film with a female lead.

Kyle Rankin directing (he of Project Greenlight S. 2 fame)
Ray Wise from Twin Peaks and everything else stars
Michael Cassidy from Men At Work stars
David Krumholtz has joined the cast

My buddy did the kickstarter pitch for them.
Hmm... I never really considered anything outside of game related stuff. I believe all the other threads only covered games and I really only intended game/game-related campaigns.

What do you guys think? Should none-game related campaigns be allowed? Maybe as an Other list, so not to clutter the list of gaming campaigns?

gabbo

Hmm... I never really considered anything outside of game related stuff. I believe all the other threads only covered games and I really only intended game/game-related campaigns.

What do you guys think? Should none-game related campaigns be allowed? Maybe as an Other list, so not to clutter the list of gaming campaigns?

For now, leave it, but in the future, film and other non-gaming KS should have a thread elsewhere

oatmeal

Banned
For now, leave it, but in the future, film and other non-gaming KS should have a thread elsewhere

Is there another thread for it? I googled and could find ones for single movies, but not a compilation like this thread.

I apologize, I can remove the post, I just wanted to share and wasn't sure where it would fit (and didn't think it was thread worthy).

gabbo

Is there another thread for it? I googled and could find ones for single movies, but not a compilation like this thread.

I apologize, I can remove the post, I just wanted to share and wasn't sure where it would fit (and didn't think it was thread worthy).

As far as I know, there isn't an OT thread to cover KS. With that said, I think this one is just meant to cover gaming. A general 'Kickstarter' thread would be quite th task.

As far as I know, there isn't an OT thread to cover KS. With that said, I think this one is just meant to cover gaming. A general 'Kickstarter' thread would be quite th task.
Yeah I think I'm going to keep this thread and OP restricted to gaming campaigns. Expanding further would be too difficult for me to maintain and keep track of

If someone does make a general KS thread, I'll be sure to add the link to the OP

Added The Seed and The Red Solstice to the Ongoing list
---
The Seed
From MDT, the team behind the award winning S.T.A.L.K.E.R. MISERY mod, a story-driven post-apocalyptic video game set in Eastern Europe, 2026. Single-player 2D interactive novel deeply rooted in psychology
banner_front.jpg

The Red Solstice
The Red Solstice is a tactical 8 player co-op survival game set on Mars in the distant future. The game features hardcore survival and player interaction in dark science fiction setting. You will be able to select from one of the 8 classes, equip your marine out with your weapons of choice and co-operate with your team using advanced tactics to stay ahead of the enemy.
0d99c971767ffe3135626d06abd1d518_large.jpg

Dahlia hitting KS around the 28th
Dahlia is an open ended, open world action adventure RPG. Explore an endless procedural world filled with mystery and treasure, testing your dexterity and speed as you climb and platform your way through dungeons and temple ruins, using your wit and intellect to solve puzzles and avoid traps, and showing your skill and lethality with the weapon and playstyle of your choice, whether it be stealth, speed, strength, or magic. Be sure to stay posted for when our kickstarter will be up!
7IJOS.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Hex Heroes launched its KS campaign.

Hex Heroes is a multiplayer real time strategy game for Wii U where up to 4 players share the TV harvesting resources, building structures, fending off enemies, and exploring dangerous territories. Another player uses the gamepad to manage resources and teammates, make executive decisions, and survey the land from a bird’s eye view. Hex Heroes can be played solo, but we’re sure you’ll want to wrangle up some friends to join in!

39bbb8c9bfeea3515efed6870f84131b_large.gif

Lo_Fi

Hey GAF, I'm going to be launching a kickstarter campaign soon for a game that I'm creating. Would this thread be an appropriate place to ask for feedback on it before it launches?

Hey GAF, I'm going to be launching a kickstarter campaign soon for a game that I'm creating. Would this thread be an appropriate place to ask for feedback on it before it launches?
Sure, I don't have a problem with that. While I do want to keep the thread game-focused, I do see it as a place to not only share interesting campaigns, but for discussions and feedback. Especially for GAFfer-made games

Is your game in the Upcoming list in the OP? If not, I'll add it

Lo_Fi

Sure, I don't have a problem with that. While I do want to keep the thread game-focused, I do see it as a place to not only share interesting campaigns, but for discussions and feedback. Especially for GAFfer-made games

Is your game in the Upcoming list in the OP? If not, I'll add it

Great, thanks! Here's the preview link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lofi/311062933?token=be8ae6e2

and here's the (currently pretty sparse) website:
http://foursidedfantasy.com/

Great, thanks! Here's the preview link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lofi/311062933?token=be8ae6e2

and here's the (currently pretty sparse) website:
http://foursidedfantasy.com/
Nice, I'll read through the page later

But first...you worked on Perspective!? Pretty much anything by Digipen students is great, but Perspective and Nitronic Rush are still my two favorites.

Seriously, considering how awesome and inventive Perspective was, Four Sided Fantasy just shot to the top of my most anticipated list.

Is anyone else from Digipen working on the game wih you?

Lo_Fi

Nice, I'll read through the page later

But first...you worked on Perspective!? Pretty much anything by Digipen students is great, but Perspective and Nitronic Rush are still my two favorites.

Seriously, considering how awesome and inventive Perspective was, Four Sided Fantasy just shot to the top of my most anticipated list.

Is anyone else from Digipen working on the game wih you?

Yeah, I was Lead Level Designer on it. Glad you enjoyed it :)

And yup, each team member went to DigiPen. I'm working with an artist that worked with me on a previous project, the composer from Perspective and Nitronic Rush, and two other awesome DigiPen artists.

Yeah, I was Lead Level Designer on it. Glad you enjoyed it :)

And yup, each team member went to DigiPen. I'm working with an artist that worked with me on a previous project, the composer from Perspective and Nitronic Rush, and two other awesome DigiPen artists.
Dude, that's some serious talent. I've always considered DigiPen talent to be the future of indie gaming so that's great to hear. Hope you guys find success like Refract did with their campaign

Lo_Fi

Dude, that's some serious talent. I've always considered DigiPen talent to be the future of indie gaming so that's great to hear. Hope you guys find success like Refract did with their campaign

Thanks! I actually just went to talk to Refract about the kickstarter (One of them did music for a previous game), and they gave me some super useful advice.

Edit: Forgot to mention, we're launching this week or the next.

Takao

Banned
The Game Atelier will launch a Kickstarter for Flying Hamster II next week:

7UimpG8.jpg

Project Information

Developer: Game Atelier Publisher: Game Atelier

Genre: Sidescrolling Action-RPG
Players: 1 (up to 2 local co-op, depending on a Stretch Goal)

Platforms: PC Steam Windows (+PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, 3DS, Wii U, depending on Stretch Goals)
Support: Downloadable game

l6TXK8m.jpg

Dates
Kickstarter Campaign: April 4th 2014 (for 30 days)
Game Release: Mid-2015

Project Overview
Features :
• A Full HD action-RPG platformer for PC and Consoles
• The direct sequel to Flying Hamster (2010 - PSP, PS Vita, iOS)
• The spiritual successor of the Wonder Boy / Monster World series
• A project designed for backers with various rewards and polls

LdYqa10.jpg

Links

Flying Hamster II
Official Website
www.FlyingHamster2.com

Facebook
www.facebook.com/FlyHamster

Game Atelier
Twitter
www.twitter.com/GameAtelier

Facebook
www.facebook.com/GameAtelier

Website
www.Game-Atelier.com
wJdfO2F.jpg

Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z7DTCTVoso
Full screenshot album: http://imgur.com/a/iVjRI

I'll make a thread once the campaign starts.

Added Hex Heroes, Still Alive to Ongoing
Flying Hamsters, Four Sided Fantasy to Upcoming

Still Alive
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/binji/still-alive
The battle is on, for each player, or two teams.
Competitive online multiplayer at its finest. In a deathmatch-like game your primary goal is to stay alive. You have to fight your way through hordes of enemies while searching for an antidote to protect yourself against a poisonous atmosphere. Since there are never enough antidotes for each player in the match, you have to compete against others to get a hold of these vital injections.

dd631e83b1d4ff9923bdc29a0bfaba0c_large.gif

df42289f705f3d23b8d40b1b1c0db9d5_large.gif

Added AdvertCity to the Ongoing list. Cyberpunk and Syndicate fans should check this game out
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/voxelstorm/advertcity
The city will start out small and will grow based on how you choose to advertise. Make it grow by advertising for the housing and construction megacorps , make your money and keep them happy by selling music, booze and other… entertainments. As you gain reputation with the megacorps they’ll give you access to an ever larger arsenal of advertising techniques with which to sway the masses.

You can switch your perspective between meatspace and cyberspace at any time. The aesthetic of the physical city is a permanently-dusky neo-noir inspired by everything from Blade Runner to Dark City. The digital space is a bright neon retro-vector fantasy reminiscent of the Gibson in Hackers or the glimpses of cyberspace in Ghost in the Shell.
3e9cf039001c80ac3ce8733278f91aa2_large.png

Just backed Hero Generations after seeing it on RPS

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/786551472/hero-generations

Hero Generations is a quick-playing turn-based strategy game that takes inspiration from rogue-likes, 4X strategy, and independent art games. It has been described as the offspring of Sid Meier’s Civilization, Jason Rohrer’s Passage, and The Legend of Zelda.

You play a rapidly aging hero that explores a procedurally generated world in search of fame and a mate to settle down with before you die. After your life ends, you continue on adventuring as your child. Depending upon your choices, your child will be either more fit to take on the world, or hobbled by your poor decisions.
fe73934af7ae04a0595ba3a8048b4618_large.png

Top Bottom