• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread | List of gaming kickstarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwired

That is a blatant scam, all the concept art was stolen from various free accounts/portfolios around the web, even the shots of their offices linked to on the official website were taken from another company. Check out the comments section for links.

I'm a bit sad this even got to over $4.5k before the Kickstarter was cancelled (first time I've seen that happen) and the developer completely deleted from the site. Do your research before pledging, people.

A workmate informed me of this scam today, the videos and screenshots of their in game environments are actually stolen from my portfolio and more specifically my showreel

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Realm Explorer is potentially promising, like a Minecraft RPG without the cube graphics.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/realmsource/realm-explorer
play1.jpg

Hopefully more RPG than fantasy digging sim. That's what they claim at least.

They also give the game for $5 for 50 people, $15 past those copies, $25 for beta access, etc.

Legends of Eisenwald has a new update with some alpha combat footage too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CSDr4RTPZU

RSP

Your game looks amazingballs, but I'm in no position to donate. Good luck!

Thanks! Please remember that spreading the word about our projects is just as important at this stage. We need as much attention to our project as we can get! :)

Ledsen

Was this game posted yet?
It's especially great for dutch players (since most of the game takes place in dutch folklore), but it looks great in general. Made by Triangle Studios.

Cross of the Dutchman

CotD_logo.jpg

[ig]http://www.crossofthedutchman.com/kickstarter/CotD_Env_1.gif[/ig]

[ig]http://www.crossofthedutchman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/greatpier.png[/ig]

[im]http://www.crossofthedutchman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/arum_summer.jpg[/ig]

I was like "Gross Dutchman? I don't know what it is, but I want it!". Then I was like "oh...".

Aselith

Is there a way to look at a category of projects like ending soon AND the type of project like games and such? I can't find a way to do both because if you're under games and go to ending soon it shows you all types and there's no option for ending soon under games.

Website is a mess by the way as many people have said. They need to fix that shit.

I don't understand how they can have an option in games for successfully funded (ended projects) but not for fucking ending soon (projects that are still going.) It's too weird for my brain to comprehend.

Is there a way to look at a category of projects like most funded or ending soon AND the type of project like games and such? I can't find a way to do both because if you're under games and go to ending soon it shows you all types and there's no option for ending soon under games.

Website is a mess by the way as many people have said. They need to fix that shit.

Kickstarter's new design is pretty, but highly fucking inefficient.

PaulLFC

Is there a way to look at a category of projects like ending soon AND the type of project like games and such? I can't find a way to do both because if you're under games and go to ending soon it shows you all types and there's no option for ending soon under games.

I don't understand how they can have an option in games for successfully funded (ended projects) but not for fucking ending soon (projects that are still going.) It's too weird for my brain to comprehend.
Yeah their navigation options are awful. I sent them an email about it a few days ago and they said they "take all feedback into consideration" etc etc, standard response really. They're inconveniencing the project creators by making the projects so hard to find.

Aselith

Honestly, all I want is a show me everything still going tab. I'll figure it out on my own when I'm looking at the games. Just please show me everything.

I wonder how many games don't get funded because people simply never see them because it's IMPOSSIBLE to see them. Like just for example, what option do I find Cross of the Dutchman or that Realm Explorer game under? Is there one? I look under the various tabs and they certainly don't show up for me.

I could click on the link in this thread but that's the only way I ever would have seen them.

Aselith

Speaking of projects to discover...

Skyjacker seems pretty cool. And from what they're saying, they have a playable demo in the can so hopefully that'll be made available during the Kickstarter. That should give them a nice boost just having some gameplay to try.

skjrlogo_638x125_2.png

Kick_Image_01.png

video_02.jpg

PaulLFC

Honestly, all I want is a show me everything still going tab. I'll figure it out on my own when I'm looking at the games. Just please show me everything.

I wonder how many games don't get funded because people simply never see them because it's IMPOSSIBLE to see them. Like just for example, what option do I find Cross of the Dutchman or that Realm Explorer game under? Is there one? I look under the various tabs and they certainly don't show up for me.

I could click on the link in this thread but that's the only way I ever would have seen them.
Exactly my problem. It's baffling that there isn't a proper filter or advanced search system, if any site would need something like that, it's one like Kickstarter. If I want to search for popular projects that are ending soon (i.e. nearly funded, but not quite), and contain a certain word or phrase somewhere in the description, like 'RPG' for example, I can't currently do that, and I see no reason why they shouldn't have a system to let people do that.

RSP

kickstarter1.jpg

We've updated our website with the results of the first 24 hours :) We'll have updates on the kickstarter page about twice a week, and probably a bit more often on our own website. So far, four Gaffers have pledged a total of $100 for the project, thanks guys!

* Read the article on crossofthedutchman.com
* Or check out the project itself on Kickstarter!

Also, I've created a couple of icons for you guys to use on the boards. Feel free to pick one and help us spread the news :)

icon_01.png
icon_02.png
icon_03.png
icon_04.png
icon_05.png
icon_06.png
icon_07.png
icon_08.png
icon_09.png

ArjanN

We've updated our website with the results of the first 24 hours :) We'll have updates on the kickstarter page about twice a week, and probably a bit more often on our own website. So far, four Gaffers have pledged a total of $100 for the project, thanks guys!

I'm one of them :p

Awesome stuff!

I still feel the point of entry is too high though. I would totally throw $15 after you for the game (or go for the $25 if it included more (don't care much about beta access personally)).

RSP

Those are some nice stats! Our "problem" is that we're not reaching enough international communities. Hopefully we'll be able to turn that around. The $15 instead of $25 pledge is something we're discussing right now, but it's difficult to see what the results would be ...

Dumb question (but one that has made me wait on pledging), why do you say 'receive a game license ', rather then get the game?

Most projects say 'DRM free' and 'redeemable through Steam', I'm comfortable with that wording, 'license' seems muddy and nebulous.

RSP

Dumb question (but one that has made me wait on pledging), why do you say 'receive a game license ', rather then get the game?

Most projects say 'DRM free' and 'redeemable through Steam', I'm comfortable with that wording, 'license' seems muddy and nebulous.

Hmm, not a dumb question at all, but no particular reason either. It's actually how I (personally) would talk about sending someone a key for a product. Now that you mention it, it does sound a bit "OEM" like ...

We'll update the text along with the upcoming rewards changes on Friday :)

Alexios

I dunno why but that Realm Explorer makes me think of Gothic II. Hopefully they can generate interesting worlds that won't quickly grow to be inconsequential like Minecraft's and maybe work in some faction dynamics and overaching goals that will keep it interesting even without a properly structured plot. Maybe each new start can have things like, picking from a load of potential super villain type fools bent on world destruction or domination that will influence the various factions, recruiting or destroying them (maybe there can be some good ones, or more than one per session, to work against each other or ally or serve etc) and then the player can have fun messing with how the events play out, joining or attempting to disrupt their schemes or whatever, in the middle of their exploration and adventuring... Either working in real time or waiting for the player participation to trigger things depending on their importance to the given phase (and maybe the difficulty settings), you might not want to have the game world to end at some point out of nowhere just because you spent a lot of time mining and never even heard of the evil dude's doings.

Alexios

Well, I pledged for both Realm Explorer and Cross of the Dutchman (cos I know one of the dudes involved in the latter...) first tiers that include the game (damn, I missed the first 50 deal on Realm) but I'm not entirely sure I'll have the money added to my account by the time they end. Hopefully I will though, I feel surprisingly confident about them...

For those who are big on turn-based strategy/classic board games:

Battle of the Bulge
(for ipad)

Target: $20,000 (at 16K as of May 2nd)
Deadline: May 28th

gMlbt.jpg
yySjD.jpg
LWfZt.jpg

GameZebo said:
The turn-based strategy game aims to be as historically accurate as possible, while still being simple to learn and fun to play. Real-life maps, units, and positioning are meant to convey the battle as close to history as can be. The only difference is that you are now given the reigns as commander, free to explore the historical what-if: could the battle have been played out differently?

Luckily, you don’t only have to relive the war by yourself. Multiplayer will be available in three different forms: passing a single iPad, local multiplayer, and asynchronous turn-by-turn gameplay over the internet. Perhaps the greatest offering for board games in the digital realm is the ability to play with anyone and anywhere, and Battle of the Bulge will be pulling out all the stops to make it happen.

Donations via Kickstarter range from as low as $10 for the game itself when it releases, to as heavy as $5,000 for a chance to attend a Shenandoah weekend-long seminar geared to develop Battle of the Bulge’s sequel. Levels in-between offer everything from t-shirts to a complete physical copy of the game itself, for those classic board gamers looking to relive their glory days.

RSP

I agree. I wanted to, but i'm still waiting for a bit of gameplay. I'll be happy to make a thread soon.

We're working like crazy to get that "presentable" right now, but it won't be for another week. If you need some additional graphics let me know and I would be happy to provide :)

RSP

Hey guys, we have just posted a first update to the Kickstarter project, and it's quite a big change! A new $15 reward level is added rewarding backers with a copy of the game :)

Backers at the $25 level will get an additional copy in addition to the original game and beta invite, and we've also added a digital Art Book of the game as a bonus. Read the entire story on our kickstarter page!

Aselith

Well I asked those Skyjacker guys about putting out a demo and here was the response:

concerning to disclose the demo to public - we discussed such possibility internally here and decided don't do this due to several reasons:
Current demo is our internal working sandbox to test game features and solutions. It works unstable, sometimes it crashes. Furthermore, it contains internal working data and developers' resources, and it would be a total headache to replace such working data and to keep the demo still working. I guess you will agree with me that it's not good to show something unfinished having in mind to get positive feedback on that.
We tried to disclose as more as we can, while preparing the project launch here in Kickstarter. I guess we disclose much more comparing to other projects here, and it's enough to understand the game itself, basing on provided descriptions and materials, and to make decision to support the project.
As was promised, we will give access to early beta to our backers. This is the best way to reward our real backers.

So that sucks. Saying "real backers" get access to the beta is great and all but the problem is that they want to attract "real backers." Sucks but hopefully they'll get what they need to finish it regardless. I wish they had taken the time to set something up so people who were interested in the game could try it out though. It's not like there's an expiration date on when you can do your kickstart.

MasLegio

Banned
So that sucks. Saying "real backers" get access to the beta is great and all but the problem is that they want to attract "real backers." Sucks but hopefully they'll get what they need to finish it regardless. I wish they had taken the time to set something up so people who were interested in the game could try it out though. It's not like there's an expiration date on when you can do your kickstart.

What's the difference between a "real backer" and a reward tier that allows you demo access?

This is the main problem with Gamestarters right now.

People see "video game" and they go "THAT'S GUNNA BE AWESOME".

Yeah, in a year, maybe Kickstarter will help bridge the knowledge gap between the common man and game dev, but as of right now, it has only widened it.

Alexios

Ah, Realm Explorer had an update too, I missed it because I hadn't pledged.

But all it's got is a video of stuff getting smashed, with a bit dodgy physics, lol.
http://youtu.be/jdREjI88X2Y
I hope they'll detail more of the features as they go. Well, they say they will. Can't wait.

I really like the backpacks and such being visible on the player, it gives it a good travelling adventures vibe...

Coverly

Hey guys, we have just posted a first update to the Kickstarter project, and it's quite a big change! A new $15 reward level is added rewarding backers with a copy of the game :)

Backers at the $25 level will get an additional copy in addition to the original game and beta invite, and we've also added a digital Art Book of the game as a bonus. Read the entire story on our kickstarter page!

Nice and pledged. Kicktraq shows you guys being near goal at the end, good luck!

Munin

Can't we have a separate thread for Skyjacker? I think it looks fantastic and way better than that Starlight Inception junk (sorry if harsh, just saying how it is...). Above all it seems close to completion so it's not like a "concept' Kickstarter like a lot of the grassroots/indie projects currently are.

I really want it to be funded :( Already pledged.

RSP

Nice and pledged. Kicktraq shows you guys being near goal at the end, good luck!

Oh man, Kicktraq is seriously getting on my nerves, I've been f5'ing it the entire day. It has already been a very intense couple of days, but we need to reach out to international blogs and websites to give us a bigger chance of reaching our goal.

We've submitted our info to a couple of big name blogs. Let's see if we get picked up!

Alexios

Realm Explorer dev said this in the KS comments.
Good afternoon everyone. The amount of encouragement we've gotten so far has been incredible. We now know at least one thing for certain; people want Realm Explorer. In order to make this KickStarter a success we're going to have to kick things up a few notches.

Right now our team is preparing several new videos for Youtube as well as a single player demo to send to various people in the media. We’ve also been participating in sites like IndieDB.com, building up our own RealmExplorer.com, posting on Twitter and Facebook and directly attempting to contact relevant websites, Youtube channels, Twitter personalities and more. We’ve even contacted local newspapers.

The amount of promotion that we can do is small in comparison to the amount of promotion YOU can do. Every person you tell, every forum post you make and every email you send brings all of us a step closer to making Realm Explorer a reality. We’ve been seeing traffic and support from places all over the internet. Everyone’s efforts so far have been impressive but we need to increase the intensity. By no means “spam” people but if you’re active in an online community (or even an offline community) – let people know!

Here’s our current list of content websites:
Realm Explorer Official Website: www.RealmExplorer.com
Youtube: www.youtube.com/realmsourcegames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/RealmSource
IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/realm-explorer/
KickStarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/realmsource/realm-explorer

We also hang out in an IRC channel where fans can talk with some of the developers:
http://www.realmexplorer.com/content.php?11-irc&

We all want to see Realm Explorer made; let’s make it happen!
Can't wait to see more :)

boingball

Oh man, Kicktraq is seriously getting on my nerves, I've been f5'ing it the entire day. It has already been a very intense couple of days, but we need to reach out to international blogs and websites to give us a bigger chance of reaching our goal.

We've submitted our info to a couple of big name blogs. Let's see if we get picked up!

Well, I pledged my $15 for your project. But I guess your project will not be funded until you manage to get the word out to some podcasts/websites/blogs.

Kicktraq's Trend is not reliable. It just extrapolates the current average for the overall runtime of the project. The first day is for most projects the biggest day and only until the very end the first day influences the average too much and with it the expected sum. Successful projects do have another spike at the end too though, but I see you currently ending around 25k (basically Republique divided by 10).

P.S.
Your World Kickstarter has finished, $21345 pledged. But Bunky will make the game anyway (lol). This is what he has to say about Kickstarter:
"I doubt we will use kickstater again. Their customer service sucks." (spelling errors as in the original).

mclem

Kicktraq's Trend is not reliable. It just extrapolates the current average for the overall runtime of the project. The first day is for most projects the biggest day and only until the very end the first day influences the average too much and with it the expected sum. Successful projects do have another spike at the end too though, but I see you currently ending around 25k (basically Republique divided by 10).

It's not well-advertised - deliberately so - but there's a beta trend cone accessible on a kicktraq page if you click the tiny 'pi' link at the bottom. I *think* it extrapolates a cone from the gap between the fastest and slowest pledging periods..

Aselith

gabbo

Another space game, this time with an iOS focus:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/celsiusgs/drifter-a-space-trading-game

Funny how all these that are now coming out look tons better (and are further along than) Starlight Inception but don't seem to get much coverage. I guess it's being first that counts more than anything.

Is "it's not very far along" really a fair criticism to level at any Kickstarter? Perhaps it's an indication that the genre really is dead, as Starlight Inception probably isn't going to reach its goal, even though it was the first big space combat/adventure pitch to take up Kickstarter in the wake of DFA/Wasteland and got a rather large initial offering of coverage.

Munin

Is "it's not very far along" really a fair criticism to level at any Kickstarter? Perhaps it's an indication that the genre really is dead, as Starlight Inception probably isn't going to reach its goal, even though it was the first big space combat/adventure pitch to take up Kickstarter in the wake of DFA/Wasteland and got a rather large initial offering of coverage.

It's not my main criticism, but obviously the chances of a game actually being released increase when it's already beyond the conceptual stage.

Above all I thought the Starlight Inception pitch was just poorly conceived, featured terrible art and very little assurance that there was a capable team behind the game. In my opinion it has nothing to do with the genre.

gabbo

It's not my main criticism, but obviously the chances of a game actually being released increase when it's already beyond the conceptual stage.

Above all I thought the Starlight Inception pitch was just poorly conceived, featured terrible art and very little assurance that there was a capable team behind the game. In my opinion it has nothing to do with the genre.

Fair enough. Clarification was what I was looking for and I do agree with your first statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom