• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kids of Helicopter Parents Are Sputtering Out (Slate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

http://www.slate.com/articles/doubl...y_correlated_with_college_age_depression.html

Recent studies suggests that kids with overinvolved parents and rigidly structured childhoods suffer psychological blowback in college.

Academically overbearing parents are doing great harm. So says Bill Deresiewicz in his groundbreaking 2014 manifesto Excellent Sheep: The Miseducation of the American Elite and the Way to a Meaningful Life. “[For students] haunted their whole lives by a fear of failure—often, in the first instance, by their parents’ fear of failure,” writes Deresiewicz, “the cost of falling short, even temporarily, becomes not merely practical, but existential.”

Those whom Deresiewicz calls “excellent sheep” I call the “existentially impotent.” From 2006 to 2008, I served on Stanford University’s mental health task force, which examined the problem of student depression and proposed ways to teach faculty, staff, and students to better understand, notice, and respond to mental health issues. As dean, I saw a lack of intellectual and emotional freedom—this existential impotence—behind closed doors. The “excellent sheep” were in my office. Often brilliant, always accomplished, these students would sit on my couch holding their fragile, brittle parts together, resigned to the fact that these outwardly successful situations were their miserable lives.

In 2013 the American College Health Association surveyed close to 100,000 college students from 153 different campuses about their health. When asked about their experiences, at some point over the past 12 months:

84.3 percent felt overwhelmed by all they had to do
60.5 percent felt very sad
57.0 percent felt very lonely
51.3 percent felt overwhelming anxiety
8.0 percent seriously considered suicide
The 153 schools surveyed included campuses in all 50 states, small liberal arts colleges and large research universities, religious institutions and nonreligious, from the small to medium-sized to the very the large. The mental health crisis is not a Yale (or Stanford or Harvard) problem; these poor mental health outcomes are occurring in kids everywhere. The increase in mental health problems among college students may reflect the lengths to which we push kids toward academic achievement, but since they are happening to kids who end up at hundreds of schools in every tier, they appear to stem not from what it takes to get into the most elite schools but from some facet of American childhood itself.

I wonder what the whole origins of this helicopter parenting trend are? It's very interesting sociologically.

Africanus

http://www.slate.com/articles/doubl...y_correlated_with_college_age_depression.html

I wonder what the whole origins of this helicopter parenting trend are? It's very interesting sociologically.

To input from one with a similarly rigorous (yet not as intensive) upbringing.

It may stem from the parent-child complex of wanting one's child to have a better life than the person. The parents may have grown up in poverty, civil war, ghetto, et cetera. My parents grew up in poverty and then lived through a civil war on the losing side. So they believe the best way to save their children is to drive them to succeed regardless of the cost.

Not to mention with how unstable the job market is, many well playing places only hire the "best of the best" , or regarding college, many universities only offer scholarships to the same group, meaning those who are lower may be swamped in hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt.

It's a tough life, and I can emphasize with their experience, although my parents never pushed me to the brink of not accepting failure or depression.

They don't realize how much damage they are doing. They mean well and all but man back off. The kids with the extreme helicopter parents always look so frightened when their parents aren't there, like they don't know what to do with themselves.

I remember some of the kids in elementary school were already "done" with our entire math book (like 400 pages...) when the rest of the class was only on page 100. Is this the kind of thing they are talking about?

I had never heard the term "helicopter parents" before, and was hugely confused by the title until reading the article. My parents were never too involved in anything I did, but I think that's because we were poor and they were too busy working, especially after they divorced and when my dad started his own business. It probably didn't help that academically I was above where they both were, so they couldn't help in that regard, and most my hobbies were things they either didn't understand or enjoy. Still though they supported my decisions as long as I continued to perform well in school and kept out of trouble.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not surprising in the least.

The moment Mommy and Daddy stop being able to influence teachers/administrators and can't be around all the time, the wheels fall off. I've seen it with several of my students.

entremet

I had never heard the term "helicopter parents" before, and was hugely confused by the title until reading the article. My parents were never too involved in anything I did, but I think that's because we were poor and they were too busy working, especially after they divorced and when my dad started his own business. It probably didn't help that academically I was above where they both were, so they couldn't help in that regard, and most my hobbies were things they either didn't understand or enjoy. Still though they supported my decisions as long as I continued to perform well in school and kept out of trouble.
Same here. I was in the first in my family to graduate HS and college. Kinda figured things out on my own lol.

My only regrets were not aiming hire with my applications, like the Ivies, Stanford and such. I thought I could not afford them, but later I learned that they provided generous aid packages for low income students.

Pau

Completely broke down in high school because of this.

Moving out has helped the most so my parents don't have any direct involvement in my academic life, but the damage has been done. I'm a lot better than before but some of the stuff still has a hold on me.

I know my parents didn't do it out of malice, which was hard to see when I was younger. That doesn't excuse it, especially when they had plenty of my teachers telling them to calm the fuck down.

Africanus

I remember some of the kids in elementary school were already "done" with our entire math book (like 400 pages...) when the rest of the class was only on page 100. Is this the kind of thing they are talking about?

Yes if their parent was pushing them to the brink to finish it.

My father would do a similar thing with my science book, make me read a lesson or two each day and review it with him, while the general class would only read it once a week or so.

genjiZERO

I've noticed over the years that 1st year students require a lot more handholding than they used to. I wonder if it's because of this phenomenon.

With this generation, the development of social skills has been totally devalued in favor of excelling in all academic subjects. My friend, who is a preschool teacher, recently told me that parents are demanding that their 3-5 year old kids be taught the scientific method before reaching kindergarten.

As someone who worked in admissions at Cornell for a while, I can tell you that we regularly accepted interesting, charismatic and independent kids who were ranked 30-60 in their graduating class over the robotic, sheltered sad sacks in the top 10.

This mad competition to get nowhere, to reach a point of false "success" where you have a high salary and a loveless existence is so damn sad.

Birth control. People actually want their kids. It is ok to not have kids now and use birth control.

Justin-Timberlake-Blank-Stare.gif

i-Lo

I can relate since I am one of them. I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't have happened if I wasn't the only child.

It's like speeding out of a bubble and into a fucking wall.

Pau

I can relate since I am one of them. I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't have happened if I was the only child.

It's like speeding out of a bubble and into a fucking wall.
Did your parents act the same way towards your sibling(s)?

My sister had it a lot easier, and she wasn't as good of a student. But she also didn't try rebeling as much as I did.

entremet

Birth control. People actually want their kids. It is ok to not have kids now and use birth control.

The higher the education the less kids couples do have. That's a fact. Maybe since those parents are having less kids--one to two--they tend to over invest?

dluu13

My mom regulated almost everything about my life through elementary school although I don't think it was as severe as helicopter parenting. Besides school work, my mom bought these math and language exercise books for me to work on at home, which I feel gave me a leg up on all the other kids at school.

However, by the time I got into high school, my parents relaxed and left the teaching to the teachers, but even then, they were always pushing me to be academically successful. In the end, I never scored at the top of the class, but I was always above average. I feel like I adapted better to university than most of the top scorers in high school.

edit: in response to CarpeDeezNutz's post below, I would like to clarify that I'm thankful for how my parents raised me.

My mom regulated almost everything about my life through elementary school although I don't think it was as severe as helicopter parenting. Besides school work, my mom bought these math and language exercise books for me to work on at home, which I feel gave me a leg up on all the other kids at school.

However, by the time I got into high school, my parents relaxed and left the teaching to the teachers, but even then, they were always pushing me to be academically successful. In the end, I never scored at the top of the class, but I was always above average. I feel like I adapted better to university than most of the top scorers in high school.

That's just being good parents. They should push you to do better just not hover over you every second.

Sputnik

Neo Member
I can testify to this phenomenon. I've been through my big burnout, with my losing point being a couple years ago. Not a fun experience.

Now I'm six years out of high school and still don't have a degree. I am close to being done though, I have my life together now and and see the finish line with more clarity than I ever did when I was eighteen. Once you've hit a low point you're no longer burdened by the same fears that once held you back. All my life fear of failure and disappointing others crippled me, they were the absolute worst case scenario.

But I've experienced those things now, and the world didn't end. I accept now that you're never really a failure unless you give up and view yourself that way. Life is a cycle of high points and low points, things aren't going to go in your favor all the time no matter how hard you work or how talented you might be. This might seem obvious to most people, but when you've got this "gotta be the best, only the average kids fail at anything!" mentality drilled into you from a young age, it's a difficult thing to accept at first.

Valhelm

contribute something

That's not wrong, though. Being able to have as many children as you want is a pretty new phenomenon, because American Christian society of any denomination traditionally prohibited or scorned any contraceptive. Three children would have constituted a small family in the 1920s, among any level of society. FDR had six children, and JFK was one of nine siblings.

Not unlike what has been happening in China, increasing pressures (mostly economic and societal) push toward smaller families, and more attention given to every child. So parents invest much more money and time into their few children than they once did.

ezrarh

The higher the education the less kids couples do have. That's a fact. Maybe since those parents are having less kids--one to two--they tend to over invest?

Part of it is that couples are pairing up differently than before. We're more likely to marry people at the same education level + same perspectives on life which I think further magnifies the helicopter parenting.

Heh, I agree 100% with all of this.
My parents are classic helicopters and have influenced all I do until my last year of high school. (I got a good job and realized I could just ignore them.)
Leaving home to the dorms was a completely different experience and really showed how messed up I was. It wasn't until the end where I realized what had happened and how it had affected me. After straight-up telling them, they just got upset and told me I wouldn't amount to anything, but they kept doing what they did before.
At this point, I'm working to better myself. After the first year alone, you really see where you stand. It sucks at first, but if you want to get better, it gives you a perfectly reasonable layout of where to improve.

Very interesting piece of evidence.

Story time:

I am just very grateful that my parents only pushed me as far as I was comfortable. As a kid I was very smart and would get bored. I remember playing Violin since 7 years old as well as maintaining A's (not A+'s though). I liked doing my thing but never liked being pushed for 1st violin or to go to math clubs, but would rather lay back and play videogames or Magic The Gathering with my friends. Even in college while studying engineering, I maintained a good enough GPA but still went out and partied. In the end I did come through as Valedictorian though. It was really I surprise, I never was the BEST in anyone class, always 2nd or 3rd place on the curves. Didn't matter to me though.

I never understood why these parents would push their kids so hard and what they gained from it. For example, I remember that my Violin instructors always preferred my performances to some of the other kids (most of them Asian) because, even though they were not as technically proficient, they were less boring.

Even though I have skipped the whole ULTRA COMPETITIVENESS aspect in USA culture by just not caring, I have been able to get scholarships, grants and papers published in my career. I never strive to be THE BEST, I just strive to be the best that I can be. I am making good money, I work less hours, and I am able to relate to people. but most importantly, I am happy, and have never stopped being so.

Foffy

Banned
I hope this doesn't encourage parents not to be involved because that's just as important as anything else.

It has to be a balancing act: to be a pillar of support and a spring to bounce off of if things become difficult for the individual. Literally like any sort of aid or assistance.

Those dictating their children and controlling their lives are essentially having their children be cardboard cutouts to what they want. That's a disgusting can of worms, for it instills in the child a sense of living on "probation", to never make a decision by oneself, to live and go with the flow because one must adhere to a particular social evocation, primarily from the parents. In many ways, helicopter parents double-bind their children with the problem that they must do or be a certain way, but it's only ultimately acceptable if the child would want to do it anyway. Inferring necessity makes the will of the child going along rather irrelevant.

Heh, I agree 100% with all of this.
My parents are classic helicopters and have influenced all I do until my last year of high school. (I got a good job and realized I could just ignore them.)
Leaving home to the dorms was a completely different experience and really showed how messed up I was. It wasn't until the end where I realized what had happened and how it had affected me. After straight-up telling them, they just got upset and told me I wouldn't amount to anything, but they kept doing what they did before.
At this point, I'm working to better myself. After the first year alone, you really see where you stand. It sucks at first, but if you want to get better, it gives you a perfectly reasonable layout of where to improve.

Your parents told you you wouldn't amount to anything?

Jesus...that's pretty messed up.

It's true that some parents think that this is ok. My parents always told me that no matter what I did, as long as I would put my effort in it, they would be proud. Always makes me put in a little bit of extra effort before watching another youtube video.

It's true that some parents think that this is ok. My parents always told me that no matter what I did, as long as I would put my effort in it, they would be proud. Always makes me put in a little bit of extra effort before watching another youtube video.

I really have to wonder where those parents are coming from...

How can they think telling their kid they won't amount to anything will have any kind of positive effect/result.

How can they think telling their kid they won't amount to anything will have any kind of positive effect/result.

It's positive in reinforcing that the kid needs their parents to reach anywhere in life. Convincing the son or daughter that if they leave their parents behind they'll be nothing and achieve nothing so they become afraid of living on their own.

Parents are fucked up man.

Eh, it's one hell of a way to motivate me to leave.

I'm 21 now. Although I wish I had gotten the hang of the game earlier, I'm glad I have enough time to better myself and get far from that type of mentality.

entremet

Another thing, Helicopter Parents are children of the Baby Boomers. Baby Boomers were notorious absentee parents, at least emotionally speaking, and also the first wave of widespread divorce.

Seems their kids are overcompensating.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

The parents are hoping that the kid will show that they are wrong by working extra hard. It worked for me and some of my friend, but I definitely wouldn't recommend that to any parent.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
My oldest child has such a fear of failure, we are trying to think of ways for her to overcome it so it doesn't worsen as she gets older. She won't play video games where she knows her character can "die" or lose. The only message we have tried to impart is to try your best, and if you come up short, you get up and try again, its how you learn.

I really didn't want to push any sort of team sports on her, but I wonder if she learns to win and lose as a team if that will help.

Idba

Same here. At first my dad always wanted me to show him my homework and all that, but after a while they let me do my own thing as long as I perfomed well at school. Same with religion. After a while when they realised that I didnt give two shits about it they stopped pushing it, which was nice.

Reading some of the comments here, I think people have different evaluations of helicopter parents. My parents pushed me hard on a lot of things, but I wouldn't have considered it helicopter parenting. I've always associated with the nowadays parents who pushed their kids to team sports, and shows up to the game and coach the kids and override the coaches; or the parent who goes to the classes and oversteps as everything.

There's involved, and then there is helicopter.

Deft Beck

I took lots of honors classes in high school, several AP classes, took the SAT three times, took the SAT IIs and the ACT, and attended math SAT prep courses.

In university, I pretty much lived at the counseling center, where I often talked about the pressure to get internships even in freshman year (and I didn't, until the summer before senior year). Junior year, I had a meltdown over my career concerns, and was diagnosed with OCD.

I'm off medication now, and a lot calmer since I graduated, but I still feel a lot of pressure from my parents to perform and justify the expensive education investment.

Slate's teaser line is deceptive, the studies aren't about helicopter parents. The statistics are a general mental health survey, not one that was tied specifically to helicopter parents. The excerpt implies a bit that all parents push their kids too hard these days, but it's not based on recent studies. While I agree with the overall conclusions in that article, the conclusions are based on anecdotes and some professor's opinion piece. That article is an excerpt from a book about how helicopter parenting is bad, so perhaps there is more data in the book, but the excerpt is just stories about some really terrible parents.

I don't think pushing your kids academically and trying to control your kids is anything new. It happened to me when I was a kid, and it sucked. It did more harm than good for me, but I worked things out eventually. But back in the day I called my parents every couple of weeks to say hello and give them updates. But these days with the internet, email and smartphones, it's a lot easier to expect constant updates daily. It's easier for parents to invade their kids lives now.

my parents were somewhat normal I suppose. especially since when I was little, they were often busy with work to put food on the table, so not that much helicoptering. but later on down the road they did turn into that whole "why aren't you more like the kid of so and so" kinda parents thou, so not that much better... -_-;;

lol. It's a baby. Babies need helicoptering.

more like helicopter katana chopping XD (Lone Wolf and Cub is awesome thou)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I remember seeing a parent fly 3000 miles to take her thirty five year old son (who was actually quite independently wealthy and highly accomplished) car shopping. Not for fun, but because they both felt it necessary. They did the same thing several times for house purchases, redecoration and so on.

This popped back into my head when I took my six year old to buy a bike.

It's not JUST a millennial thing but it is becoming more and more common.

And yes, the person I am talking about is a socially helpless manchild who wouldn't survive ten seconds in a normal corporate existence.

My parents didn't push me toward a correct career path and let me go to a conservatory to major in music and now I either have to start from zero with no money in my late 20's, kill myself, or live a life of financial failure that will absolutely not be worth it.

I'd rather push kids toward a life worth having and risk them burning out then let them move towards something impractical that guarantees them a lifetime of economic hardship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom