• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer 7: The Official Thread

Since Killer 7 will be available in North America later this week, I figure I would start an official discussion thread. So, discuss!

Personally, I'm definitely picking up a copy of the GameCube version, the day it releases. I've been eagerly anticipating it since it was first announced in the end of 2002, and now it's finally here.

After playing the materpiece that is Resident Evil 4...I feel obligated to buy anything with Shinji Mikami's name on it. Mikami created such an amazing game in RE4, that I would pay homage to him, even if Killer 7 was flat out terrible, in every department. I know Mikami was only the Producer, but oh well! He gets my respect, and my hard earned dollar!

So who else is jumping on the Killer 7 bandwagon this week?

AniHawk

I'm going to give it a chance... as a rental... or something. Looks too weird to pass up.

Hopefully the PS2 version doesn't suck too much.

Gamerankings:

GC: 82.2%
PS2: 64.9%

:\

Ironclad

I'll rent it and beat it and after the inevitable price drop I will buy it out of obligation. I don't really care whether the game plays well or not, I just want to know what the hell is going on in the game. I've been following it since the beginning and I still don't have a clue.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
sucks3cu.jpg

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The Main Event said:
Play magazine gave it a 9?!

I'll rent it. Unless Gamespot tell me otherwise (which I highly doubt).

the reviews are so all over the place one review wont change the fact that this game is one you just have to try for yourself.

Edge- 8
Nintendo Power- 8.5
IGN- 8.1
Famitsu- 36/40

Then there are some bad scores from places like Electronic Gaming Monthly. But review scores aren't going to do you to good when looking at Killer 7. It's definitely a game that you have to decide upon for yourself.

Speevy

Banned
If only PN03 and Kirby Air Ride had garnered the "Try it for yourself. It's different." reviewer support.

Solid

AniHawk said:
Gamerankings:

GC: 82.2%
PS2: 64.9%

:\
It's not like they fucked up the PS2 version or something. if you check the gamecube version they have not taken the bad scores in to account.

btw play's 9 doesn't say much. they gave their GOTY to fable :lol

Solid said:
It's not like they fucked up the PS2 version or something. if you check the gamecube version they have not taken the bad scores in to account.

Hmmm, IGN PS2 gave it a 7.9; IGN GC gave it an 8.1. Apparently, here's why:

Another Take from Ed Lewis
Killer 7 is a cult hit just waiting for some loyal fans to find it. This title isn't for everyone, but its own unique style is something that is a nice antidote to the overly realistic shooting games out there. Still, it would've been better if more time was put into smoothing out the PS2 version. With some longer loading times with an obnoxious loop of TV static, framerate issues, hiccups, and delicate aiming that is harder to pull off with the PS2 controller, Killer 7 has made its Sony conversion a little worse for wear. The style would almost have carried this through with an equal score as the GameCube, but the fact is that these problems affect just how well the style is carried off. Either way, the bizarre nature of Killer 7 is still something that needs to be seen to be believed.

Solid

well i wouldn't call a 0.2 difference "fucked up". i was just saying that the gamecube version sure as hell isn't 18% better as gamerankings indicates. but then gain, gamerankings tend to confuse things.

It was originally built for the GameCube. Therefore, you can expect the GameCube version to be more polished, and fine tuned.

Solid said:
well i wouldn't call a 0.2 difference "fucked up". i was just saying that the gamecube version sure as hell isn't 18% better as gamerankings indicates. but then gain, gamerankings tend to confuse things.

I hear you. It's just that I just found out that there's indeed some differences between the 2 versions which I didn't know before reading it.

CO_Andy

Solid said:

btw play's 9 doesn't say much. they gave their GOTY to fable :lol
That iz strange when PLAY's best score that year was Ninja Gaiden (and it got a perfect).

belgurdo

Banned
This game's reviews are all over the place. 8.5 from NP, 1.5 from Gamepro. Loved by Edge, hated by EGM. Is this fucking game good or not?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
belgurdo said:
This game's reviews are all over the place. 8.5 from NP, 1.5 from Gamepro. Loved by Edge, hated by EGM. Is this fucking game good or not?

It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, when the great war over Killer 7 came upon us all.

This game will be the doom of us. Just you wait and see. We're doomed.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
hmm, maybe it did come out today?

CAPCOM® RELEASES KILLER 7™
CAPCOM® RELEASES KILLER 7™ FOR THE NINTENDO GAMECUBE™ AND PLAYSTATION®2 COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

- Seven Deadly Personalities Form A Lethal Alliance -

SUNNYVALE, Calif. - July 5, 2005 — Capcom® today released killer 7™, a stylized, post-modern action adventure game for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and Nintendo GameCube™. Featuring distinct characters, striking cel-shaded visuals and dark imagery, killer 7 chronicles the connection between two men whose intertwined paths develop into a complex tale of altering personas and a menacing force that has paralyzed society. killer 7 propels players into the consciousness of one man and his killer personalities all the while stopping a wave of indiscriminate violence that is plaguing the world. killer 7 is rated ‘M’ for mature audiences by the ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board).

MrDaravon

Does anybody know if the over the top swearing and blood are in the US versions? And if so, are they in both the GC and PS2 versions? If they are, GC is the way to go, the PS2 load times are pretty bad, although it doesn't make the game unplayable or anything. It's almost worth a rental just to hear a guy say "FUCK YOU" over and over on your GC.

I like the game personally, but it's not for everyone, and I'm waiting for a $20 price tag.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I should wait, since I'm sure the game will bomb and drop in price rather quickly, but I'd really like to play Killer 7; what I tried of the Japanese version seemed like something I'd like to play through. Besides, I got some Xbox games to get rid of anyway...it's time for Pariah to go.

But if you're more patient, then wait. No doubt this game will be in bargain bins in the coming months.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
fry's didnt even advertise it in the sunday paper (they usually do for the big games). fry's knows it's a capbomb :p

Wario64 said:
fry's didnt even advertise it in the sunday paper (they usually do for the big games). fry's knows it's a capbomb :p

Here in Seattle the day for new Fry's stuff is Wed and Friday. They may not get it til Thursday if it's advertised tomorrow, though.

They haven't failed me yet :D

On a related note sometimes they'll have a price on Wed and it'll be gone by Friday's ad.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
i'm pretty sure fry's will have a sale on it sometime this week. probably $39.99

in the paper here, they advertise the "product of the week" in the sunday paper. i forgot what it is this week but it wasn't Killer 7. last week, they had coded arms and dead to rights

SantaC

Gold Member
The game is good, but only if you can stand the railshooting controls. If you like a good story, good art, music and a mature theme then the chance that you will enjoy this is great.

The best thing with the game are the boss battles imo. They feel very unique.

The downside is that the game can feel repetive, the puzzles too obvious, and the controls frustrating, but dont let it stop you from atleast renting this game.

IGN has their video review up - check it out

The downside is that the game can feel repetive, the puzzles too obvious, and the controls frustrating, but dont let it stop you from atleast renting this game.
If anyone don't think they can handle holding down A to move instead of the control stick, then by all means stay away from Killer 7.

scaffa

I think the frustrating bit is about the fact that u dont have the freedome to move/look around on your own, since we are used to do that in games today ;)

My preorder is set for Killer 7 and I cant wait till next week (week later in europe). I think this game simply looks amazing and I dig the style. Cutscenes are awsome to :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
cool, i'll check them soon (although i rather rent at hollywood, i got a free rental i want to use)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Holy crap, Philip K. Dick made a video game.

I don't even know what to say about this game yet. It's REALLY bizarre. But in a compelling way.

I'm not really far enough to pass any real judgement on it.

I played for about an hour last night and so far, so good. Some of the characters are really badass, some are really bizarre, and overall the game's characters and plot really seems to have a lot to offer thus far.

Gameplay wise I am actually enjoying playing something different from the norm. I'll have to see how the gameplay holds up as the game goes on, but so far I'm satisfied.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I gotta know, does this game actually run at 60 fps? Either way, I'm still interested, but 60 fps would probably make me jump on board faster...

dark10x said:
I gotta know, does this game actually run at 60 fps? Either way, I'm still interested, but 60 fps would probably make me jump on board faster...
IT would make literally NO difference at all because of the way this game is played, but I hontestly CANNOT tell at all, and 30fps was the first thing I noticed about Wind Waker. Seriously, once you start playing this game, framerate is of no concern to you.

Top Bottom