• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct coming to Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skab

It's not about one or the other.

We've heard from practically everyone that this would be a 1080p/60 game so, at the very least, we can hope there was a misunderstanding. Otherwise, it's a disappointing piece of news.

I don't see why it matters. Is the game suddenly some how not as good looking now? It's not like it looks any different than what we have seen, and it already looks great. And it's still 60 fps.

def sim

I don't see why it matters. Is the game suddenly some how not as good looking now? It's not like it looks any different than what we have seen, and it already looks great. And it's still 60 fps.

It matters because people notice. New consoles not pushing a 1080p standard is something people don't want to hear, especially from one that costs $500.

Anyway, all I've seen are compressed videos and streams.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
It matters because people notice. New consoles not pushing a 1080p standard is something people don't want to hear, especially from one that costs $500.

All I've seen are compressed videos and streams.

I was disapointed to hear this too, but the more I think, they never ever confirmed the game would run 1080p native. In fact most games that ran 60 fps on the current generation ran less than 720p to achieve that.

Even games like SF4/UMVC3 and other fighters hover around 45 - 55 fps most the time. I made my switch to PC gaming when DMC was running 60 fps and looked amazing compared to consoles. And since the XB1 doesn't have the fastest hardware, getting 1080p out of every game will be difficult. I almost guarantee Halo 5 will be 60 fps, but run at 720p.

I've played KI more than most, and was shocked to hear it runs at 720p. I didn't really notice.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I'm more willing to blame the shorter development time and the Xbox hardware.

This is probably a big culprit too. When you do get the chance to see the game running at 60 fps with the insane lighting effects on top of everything else, it's probably one of the most dramatic looking fighter out there right now.

I'll personally be shocked if a game like Killzone will run 60fps and 1080p on PS4 multiplayer without having some huge graphical hitch like lower poly characters/low res textures. Even Titanfall is running 720p/60fps on XB1. I think all I'm getting at, is that this console generation will NEVER be as good as what PC's can offer. It's almost impossible since the last gen was nearly 8 years ago now. The expectations of most need to come to a harsh reality that consoles will never catch up to PC because of this.

Ninja Dom

This is probably a big culprit too. When you do get the chance to see the game running at 60 fps with the insane lighting effects on top of everything else, it's probably one of the most dramatic looking fighter out there right now.

I'll personally be shocked if a game like Killzone will run 60fps and 1080p on PS4 multiplayer without having some huge graphical hitch like lower poly characters/low res textures. Even Titanfall is running 720p/60fps on XB1. I think all I'm getting at, is that this console generation will NEVER be as good as what PC's can offer. It's almost impossible since the last gen was nearly 8 years ago now. The expectations of most need to come to a harsh reality that consoles will never catch up to PC because of this.

But Max, 8 year old machines can run games at 720p/30fps and sub 720p/60fps.

Surely not far off a DECADE later we can expect consoles to offer 1080p/60fps?? Unless you specifically go down the Nintendo low power route.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House

Surely not far off a DECADE later we can expect consoles to offer 1080p/60fps?? Unless you specifically go down the Nintendo low power route.

Most of you're games that you think run 720p/60fps don't actually run a solid 60 on current gen consoles, or run below 720p. There's websites that catalog what framerates these games run at, and what resolution they really output.

DC R1D3R

Banned

The only console manufacturer I could see offering this is Neo Geo. Them guys are the super hardcore. Sony/MS? Pffft. Mere babes.....

Ninja Dom

Most of you're games that you think run 720p/60fps don't actually run a solid 60 on current gen consoles, or run below 720p. There's websites that catalog what framerates these games run at, and what resolution they really output.

Maybe so, but as you said, these are (soon) 8 year old machines. Coming not far off 2014 when these new consoles come out is 1080p/60fps too much to ask??

I guess it seems so. Maybe Sony and Microsoft has to some extent gone down the low power Nintendo route.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Maybe so, but as you said, these are (soon) 8 year old machines. Coming not far off 2014 when these new consoles come out is 1080p/60fps too much to ask??

I guess it seems so. Maybe Sony and Microsoft has to some extent gone down the low power Nintendo route.

Launch games are pretty much never the bastion of showing power here. Games are rushed to make a stricter date, and they have to balance learning the new hardware and how to utilize it within that timespan.

But in the end it's more up to what the game maker wants to achieve. Even with a shitty port a PC can brute force a game to 1080p and a blistering framerate, but if a dev is focused on graphics on consoles to the point where it hinders framerate, resolution drops are a much easier way to maintain their vision instead of removing something else.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House

If you look at the hardware specs of the XB1 and even the PS4 to an extent, they're obviously better than last gen...but it's clear that the development route to make games look 'really damn good yo' will take a few years to full tap into these specs. They're equivalent to what I was running for my PC rig back in 2008/9, sans some of the RAM speed.

bumpkin

So, what happened? I thought that PAX was going to have something big and it seems like we didn't get shit other than confirmation (and the previously leaked tiny clip) of that new original character. Did I miss something?

Max?

:(

I'm pretty sure the clip of Sadira was meant for PAX, but Gametrailers fucked up and posted it during Gamescom. It would have been a bigger deal if we hadn't seen it before, obviously.

I would take what max is saying with a grain of salt as he has more than likely been buttered up by the developers. Kind of like how companies now wine and dine bloggers to post favorable stuff about their respected companies.

Businesses have become very good at manipulating the Internet and social networking. They think throwing filthy rich and Max (as established fighting game afficinados) in front of a camera gushing how awesome the game is will be more than enough to convince everyone to go out and buy an x1 on launch day.

eastmen

Banned

I'm sure that the current systems can run the same games with the same fidelity at much greater resolutions.

The question is about these games. Can the xbox 360 or ps3 run Killer instinct as it is at 720p ? I'd say not a snow ball's chance in hell .

Resolution is only one factor

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I would take what max is saying with a grain of salt as he has more than likely been buttered up by the developers. Kind of like how companies now wine and dine bloggers to post favorable stuff about their respected companies.

I've played almost every next gen launch title dude, most from E3. Prepare for games to look slightly better than this gen.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm pretty sure the clip of Sadira was meant for PAX, but Gametrailers fucked up and posted it during Gamescom. It would have been a bigger deal if we hadn't seen it before, obviously.

It would have been nice if they put together SOMETHING to make up for the early leak, however. Even if it was just to show off mock-ups of the accessories, reveal Sadira's name and a few voice clips, show some concept arts for her stages, or just give a quick "who is she" mini bio.

I'm sure that the current systems can run the same games with the same fidelity at much greater resolutions.

The question is about these games. Can the xbox 360 or ps3 run Killer instinct as it is at 720p ? I'd say not a snow ball's chance in hell .

Resolution is only one factor

I don't get why no one focuses on this. I see very little in next-gen that couldn't be scaled down and achieved on current hardware to some degree, graphically. It's the background workings that matter.

We hear time and time again that GGPO style netcode is a bad fit for graphic-intensive 3D games, because it has to store the entire scene's stage in a buffer for roll-back; wouldn't increasing resolution make the buffered images more memory intensive for... no positive gameplay returns at all?

And aren't most TVs that'll really show the difference between 720p and 1080p on the input-laggy side? Evo-approved monitors are 23 Inch, which doesn't show much difference. 45/55 inch sets have higher input lag than 21~37 inch stuff, so if you're one who thinks a few frames lost = horrible input lab, you're not going to be seeing "effective" 1080p anyway, right?

Correct me if I'm wrong though, because Resolution is one of the least-important things to be in gaming, as a lover of pixel art and action-heavy scenes. Sharp + Refinements Is better to me than Super Sharp + Nothing noteworthy happening.

Oh I have no doubt they will but you'll have to forgive me if I take your hype for the new KI with a hefty dose of skepticism.

I really think Max has too much on the line to be showing undue, "paid off smooch-up" love to anything; his Youtube channel reputation is on the line! Lying and getting roasted by those who trust him would have a pretty negative effect.

If anything, I find his moments of Fanboy-ish excitement endearing; when a gamer sees something they like, that's a GREAT first impression. Gaming is a fun hobby; when it gets too stuffy, it feel unfitting.

----

All that said, if DH can get everything with all the effects, particles, lighting changes and physics/motion details to work out a a rock-solid 60FPS, I'll be quite happy. I HATE watching "Infinite training stage" in current gen Tourney Play; It's like getting a 120 color box of colored pencils, and then being told you can only use white and red; it kills a lot of the illustrative power of fighting game's total design work.

Ninja Dom

----

All that said, if DH can get everything with all the effects, particles, lighting changes and physics/motion details to work out a a rock-solid 60FPS, I'll be quite happy. I HATE watching "Infinite training stage" in current gen Tourney Play; It's like getting a 120 color box of colored pencils, and then being told you can only use white and red; it kills a lot of the illustrative power of fighting game's total design work.

You know why that is though right? Players don't want the distraction of all the moving backgrounds during intense tournaments.

You know why that is though right? Players don't want the distraction of all the moving backgrounds during intense tournaments.

Not all of us are into tourney fighting though. I want a good single player fighter that I can play at home so I hope we get the really cool backgrounds, etc.

derFeef

Not enough happening in the background ... too much happening in the background. You can't make everyone happy. I don't think it's too distracting and it's not like KI is relying too much on redability outside of combos. The combos are the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Stages never matter unless it affects performance, which I can only really think of Marvel with that one. Injustice/3D fighters have a bigger importance for gameplay reasons of course, but otherwise I don't think I've ever seen it matter. Even if the game is disliked the SFxT stages are pretty hectic in the BG, it's easily zoned out.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wht I thought at first too, (and lines for spacing judgement) but I hear its more about dropped frames in stages in games, especially PS3 Capcom fighters. They stated in E3 they wished to avoid this with KI, and I'm happy to hear it!

ACH1LL3US

Can the XBox One scale 720p games to 1080p? If so then on a 1080p plasma it shouldnt be that noticable 5ft or more away I would think.

Who am I kidding, going from SSF4 AE on 360 720 scaled to 1080p by the 360 vs playing SSF4 AE on the pc native 1080p makes a huge difference on my plasma clarity and color wise ( color seems more solid at native res).... well Xbox One could be a better scaler then the 360, if that is even possible.

ACH1LL3US

Next time I get to talk to the devs directly I'll ask if the game was ever showcased at 1080p. I only assumed it was.

Thanks Max!! I have watched every KI vid you have put and it has been great watching them, many thanks dude!

Interesting, I guess the scaling on the Xbox One is really good because all the videos I watched the game looks proper next gen to me :0

SegaShack

Oh I have no doubt they will but you'll have to forgive me if I take your hype for the new KI with a hefty dose of skepticism.

Max is just a huge fan of Killer Instinct and is very interested in the game and wants it to be a great game that can be on par with the original. Watch some of his videos and you will see that he has always been a huge KI fan and progressively he finds more really cool features of the new KI and showcases them. He is not trying to sell you anything.

Skab

Not to jump onto some sort of Max Defense Force shit or anything, but his KI fanboy status has been known long before this new one was announced.

Not everyone on youtube is being paid to advertise a product, you know.

Not to jump onto some sort of Max Defense Force shit or anything, but his KI fanboy status has been known long before this new one was announced.

Not everyone on youtube is being paid to advertise a product, you know.

Don't you think that being a longtime fan and being excited at the series return can actually blind a person to the problems with the game and how they are going about it? Some people are just so happy that it's back they are willing to overlook the developer, how incomplete and rushed this whole thing is, the fact that it's not going to have bosses/story mode/fatalities/humiliations,etc.

Raide

Don't you think that being a longtime fan and being excited at the series return can actually blind a person to the problems with the game and how they are going about it? Some people are just so happy that it's back they are willing to overlook the developer, how incomplete and rushed this whole thing is, the fact that it's not going to have bosses/story mode/fatalities/humiliations,etc.

Yes it is possible but Max has done plenty of recent videos where he replayed the old KI games and pulls no punches. He loves his games but he knows what sucks and what does not suck.

Max also have the benefit of getting to see and play way more of KI than anyone else has outside of devs teams. He has a heavy fighting game background, so he knows his stuff.

DarkCloud

If there was a huge wave of negative opinions about the new game I could understand the skepticism towards Max as one of the few defenders. But the game has been getting nothing but good impressions and praise since 1st hands on at E3. In this case it's pretty clear Max is a fan of a series that seems to be getting an actual good sequel and he's excited about that. Nothing more.

Raitaro

In my humble opinion the world would be a far better place if more people dared to be so enthusiastic and hype about games (or movies, music etc.) as Max has been, instead of being cynical sceptics that take every chance to hate on something.

Does his coverage deliver the most neutral or critical view on the new KI? No, but what it does give us is an almost childlike (but not shallow mind you) enthusiasm we can all lean on and use to pick us up on less good days. And even if the game ends up being disappointing, something I'm sure even Max would be willing to admit if that time comes, at least we get to enjoy the build up towards the release and enjoy his reactions in the mean time.

Max, please keep doing what you are doing and cover this game! I'm greatful for it and I'm sure many other here are as well.

In my humble opinion the world would be a far better place if more people dared to be so enthusiastic and hype about games (or movies, music etc.) as Max has been, instead of being cynical sceptics that take every chance to hate on something.

Does his coverage deliver the most neutral or critical view on the new KI? No, but what it does give us is an almost childlike (but not shallow mind you) enthusiasm we can all lean on and use to pick us up on less good days. And even if the game ends up being disappointing, something I'm sure even Max would be willing to admit if that time comes, at least we get to enjoy the build up towards the release and enjoy his reactions in the mean time.

Max, please keep doing what you are doing and cover this game! I'm greatful for it and I'm sure many other here are as well.

Word. I miss the Gamefan days. Crazy hype.

Jarlaxle

I agree wholeheartedly. The constant and unending stream of negativity and cynicism the Internet spews out can really get grating after awhile. I'd rather give the benefit of the doubt and be proved wrong or right rather than disbelieving everything I see and here.

Can't wait for that sixth reveal. Crossing my fingers for Fulgore.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
LoL, +1 to sll three of you. (Gamefan! :( )I love when gamers are HYPE about games... it's not misleading, either. I'm an adult, I can see and judge with my own eyes too! But to Everyone knows not to take everything that is said without a grain of salt, but seeing real hype surely helps bring substance to the fact that *gasp* things might actually be good!

Max's interview on KI central yesterday sounds like the words of a fan that is not blinded by nostalgia, no matter how close the game might be to him ("My first fighter, back when I was 11!" is pretty close.) Yet he can still vocalize his joy, his disappointments, and admit the strengths and weaknesses of the team behind the game, even after having met with them face-to-face on multiple occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom