• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct on W10 framerate tied to monitor refresh - with 144hz it's unplayable

Ohhhh right, forgot about those

Uhhhhhh the issue is you shouldn't HAVE to do that

I'm aware he shouldn't have to. But it's a very minor annoyance compared to some of the other shit that UWP apps have had, and is probably a minor oversight that will likely be fixed very soon.

It's the way the guy in the video is acting that annoys me. He's treating it like an impossible to surmount obstacle when he could fix it in 30 seconds on his own while IG work on the framelimiter.

First gen 4k monitors.

"Just cap your refresh speed externally, it's fine!" isn't a solution. It's a workaround. The game is broken, and shouldn't require third party tools to become playable.
Wait so every game played on the pc on these monitors can only run at 30FPS? Ewwwwww, with that you can never play ranked on here because you need a constant 60 FPS.
Plus how do you get other fighting games like Street Fighter 5 and others to run when their logic is also tied to 60FPS?

Microsoft fucked up another PC launch?

giphy.gif

derFeef

Loving the overractions in here.

How is street fighter v doing 144hz support? Isn't SFV game logic also tied to 60 frames

I guess they put on a hard cap on animations and timing, like it should be. Seems like an oversight from IG but hopefully the fix comes fast.

Shirakani

Banned
I am still hoping that sales flop so horribly that they will be forced to put it on Steam.

The game is NOT a DX12 game, it runs on DX11, so there is no reason it shouldn't be outside of the Win10 store outside of MS attempt to force ppl to go there.

As much as I want this game, I will NOT buy, I will NOT give in.... Dark Souls 3 is coming, it will suck up MUCHES of my limited time...

Corpekata

Banned
How is street fighter v doing 144hz support? Isn't SFV game logic also tied to 60 frames

An internal cap like the other 95 percent of 60 capped games.

Very few games tie game logic to refresh rate.

It's kind of baffling this made it past QA.

Personally I have a HRF monitor that can switch between 60-120-144 with a button push so it's not a big hassle for me, but not a lot of monitors will have that sort of button.

Schnauzer

Any know a fix for this? I'm having troubles on my TV. I tried to limit Vsync in the Nvidia control panel. I tried to lower my TV's native refresh to 60hz, and it's still trying to register it higher....

I am still hoping that sales flop so horribly that they will be forced to put it on Steam.

The game is NOT a DX12 game, it runs on DX11, so there is no reason it shouldn't be outside of the Win10 store outside of MS attempt to force ppl to go there.

As much as I want this game, I will NOT buy, I will NOT give in.... Dark Souls 3 is coming, it will suck up MUCHES of my limited time...
If the game doesn't sell well that's the end of the franchise, it will become dead again for who knows how many years.

PSGames

Wait so every game played on the pc on these monitors can only run at 30FPS? Ewwwwww, with that you can never play ranked on here because you need a constant 60 FPS.
Plus how do you get other fighting games like Street Fighter 5 and others to run when their logic is also tied to 60FPS?

It's limited to 30hz on 4k and 60hz on 1080p. I rarely game on PC so this hasn't really been an issue for me until Killer Instinct.

dr_rus

Someone should tell MS about these 120-144Hz displays PC gamers has been using for the last several years. Looks like they missed that as well in their PC gaming push.

Gotta say I'm a bit worried for Quantum Break launch next week after all this.

cripterion

Also is why the fuck is this game 30GB+? Are there cinematics in there I don't know about?
Xbox One version is updating hogging all my bandwidth and the update seems sizeable, might as well take that shit off.

It being on the windows store allows them to make it cross buy since it is all under the same account. Im sure it also makes the cross platform multiplayer much easier as well since you would need to connect to xbox live.

Defect

I experienced this earlier with my 144hz enabled but I just switched it to 60.

They are going to fix it. I'm not enraged.

Also is why the fuck is this game 30GB+? Are there cinematics in there I don't know about?
Xbox One version is updating hogging all my bandwidth and the update seems sizeable, might as well take that shit off.
Relevant!

Dryk

Since the game logic is tied to refresh rate (stop doing this developers it never ends well), wouldn't the online just break as well?

I'd like to reiterate my previous rant, as I see that some people didn't quite get what I meant.

My issue is not with the fact that there is a problem with KI on High-refresh-rate monitors. it's an oversight that should be, and likely will be quickly rectified.

My issue is with people acting like little shits while they're complaining about a comparatively tiny problem that can be fixed with a temporary workaround, that can be slightly annoying, but is ridiculously simple compared to some other PC fixes i've seen.

Mountains out of molehills, is what i'm sayin' here. It's not like we need Durante. Chill, guys.

netBuff

I'd like to reiterate my previous rant, as I see that some people didn't quite get what I meant.

My issue is not with the fact that there is a problem with KI on High-refresh-rate monitors. it's an oversight that should be, and likely will be quickly rectified.

My issue is with people acting shits while they're complaining about a comparatively tiny problem that can be fixed with a temporary workaround, that can be slightly annoying, but is ridiculously simple compared to some other PC fixes i've seen.

Mountains out of molehills, is what i'm sayin' here.

Not mountains out of molehills. Another demonstration of the inherent problems UWP brings.

One wonders if it not being uwp would allow for a temporary fix

It absolutely would (Rivatuner framerate cap)

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Not all monitors - cheaper Korean panels often lack options. Also some monitors, like the comment above yours says, have 30hz max.

nah, tahts usually due to hdmi.
the older hdmi ports and DVI cant provide 60hz at 4k resolution.
Try connecting it with displayport or hdmi 2.0

GrizzNKev

Banned

My issue is with people acting shits while they're complaining about a comparatively tiny problem that can be fixed with a temporary workaround, that can be slightly annoying, but is ridiculously simple compared to some other PC fixes i've seen.

Mountains out of molehills, is what i'm sayin' here.

I think you're missing the point about why people are reacting this way. It's not about this game. It's not about this issue. It's about history and a decade of broken promises. What people see is a trend. Exclusive marketplaces, game after game with numerous issues. This problem might be fixed within the week. The real trouble is that if this exists as a headline, it reinforces that Microsoft has failed yet again to deliver at even a competent level on PC.

This wouldn't be much of a problem without UWP. In that case, I'd just limit the frame rate myself, using Rivatuner. Microsoft proprietary container format is fucking things up.

Probably an unforeseen consequence of the latter and most desktop users setting things to "highest it can go" on the desktop.

Since the game logic is tied to refresh rate (stop doing this developers it never ends well), wouldn't the online just break as well?

Well, this is a fighting game, so there's a reason to tie the game logic to a fixed rate. Though one would suspect that they could at the very least run the video part separately... perhaps the bug fix will do exactly that?

Alx

Poorly developed game, this probably has nothing to do with Windows UWP.

That's what I was thinking too, unless all other UWP games also run at higher speed on 144Hz monitors... The game would probably have had the same issue if it was released as a regular PC software.

nynt9

My issue is with people acting like little shits while they're complaining about a comparatively tiny problem that can be fixed with a temporary workaround, that can be slightly annoying, but is ridiculously simple compared to some other PC fixes i've seen.

Mountains out of molehills, is what i'm sayin' here. It's not like we need Durante. Chill, guys.

The only way things like this get fixed is if people actually complain about said issues. That's how devs notice issues and spend the time and money to implement them. That's how we make our concerns with UWP heard by Microsoft so they work to improve the platform.

So far not a single UWP game has launched without some technical issue.

Not mountains out of molehills. Another demonstration of the inherent problems UWP brings.

I agree whole-heartedly. but leave the pitchforks for GoW Ultimate or the absolute clusterfuck Quantum break is going to be, instead of a minor frame pacing oversight.

The only way things like this get fixed is if people actually complain about said issues. That's how devs notice issues and spend the time and money to implement them. That's how we make our concerns with UWP heard by Microsoft so they work to improve the platform.

Also not saying you shouldn't complain! In fact, this thread is exactly what I think needs to have happened. My complaint is with the video in the OP, and the absolutely childish way that the person in that video acted. IG(Hell, ANY dev) doesn't need that.

Given that this technical issue appears to affect only those with high-refresh monitors, one does wonder if the testing team didn't have any such monitors...

Top Bottom