• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct on W10 framerate tied to monitor refresh - with 144hz it's unplayable

Shirakani

Banned
The game has been out for three years what makes you think it will die?

Good! I don't want the GAME to die... Gee, ppl are getting the wrong idea here...

I want it to fail as an UWP/UWA/Win10 app. I want THAT to die.

I want the GAME to go to Steam, GOG, Desura, whatever... other platforms, as a Win32 app, and thrive! I want it free of M$' clutches.

Shirakani

Banned
lol

If you say so brave soldier. Enjoy never playing KI at any refresh rate, you should go into the OT from time to time and see the fun and enjoyment people are having with the game just to make yourself more determined!

*looks around for xbone, don't see one*

If I were going to give in, I'd have an xbone by now. I don't. I'll be fine, got way too much to play anyway :)

Clusterfuck? Nope. KI is nowhere near that. I'd chalk this up to oversight. Likely "never tested on HRR monitors", of which most people don't have.

For the "most other people" the game is technically sound.

Why would you not test a game at any refresh rate other than 60 hz?

Oh, because your primary development platform is a console which outputs to a fixed refresh rate device.

I'm actually curious how Street Fighter V PC version reacts to refresh rates which aren't 60 hz.

cripterion

Clusterfuck? Nope. KI is nowhere near that. I'd chalk this up to oversight. Likely "never tested on HRR monitors", of which most people don't have.

For the "most other people" the game is technically sound.

While I agree with you, are you telling me the devs or MS don't have or know of higher refresh rate monitors?

Shirakani

Banned

Oh, because your primary development platform is a console which outputs to a fixed refresh rate device.

I'm actually curious how Street Fighter V PC version reacts to refresh rates which aren't 60 hz.

SF5 seems to be hard capped to 60fps regardless of anything. I have a 144hz G-Sync monitor and it never goes over 60fps. That being said I've never had it drop under 60fps either so I dunno how it handles framedrops...

Or would it be the fact that fighting games traditionally operated on a fixed refresh interval?

You might have noticed that both are fighting games, and indeed, SFV PC version initially also had problems with systems going sub-60 FPS. I believe that the situation could be handled better, too.

While I agree with you, are you telling me the devs or MS don't have or know of higher refresh rate monitors?

If the testing suite had any and used them like a "sane" person would use their HRR monitors (set monitor to max everything on desktop), it'd be noticed fast. So I'm weighting on that. Keep in mind that neither 4K nor HRR are common on consumer monitors - even though that's all the buzz lies, the likely thing is that there's just a little of them in a sea of bog-standard 1080p 60 Hz monitors.

Doukou

That sucks, hopefully its fixed soon. Seems to be the only major issue though in all honesty how does that issue get past QA.

Good! I don't want the GAME to die... Gee, ppl are getting the wrong idea here...

I want the GAME to go to Steam, GOG, Desura, whatever... other platforms, as a Win32 app, and thrive! I want it free of M$' clutches.

I recommend not doing stuff like 'M$' it gives people an easy way to dismiss your comments.

Microsoft owns Killer Instinct also, so out of their clutches is impossible.

I also think that the game being on the Microsoft store allows for the whole cross buy and play thing in the first place, since then it's linked to your Microsoft account and allows you access to Xbox live.

Microsoft really cares about PC now guys. Serious this time.

They almost did, if it weren't for the fact that HRR monitors slipped testing. Whoops!

If HRR monitors were supported well from the get-go, I'm sure this thread wouldn't even exist, and we'd be singing praises (!)

Caayn

I have a 21:9 monitor which are about as common as HRR monitors. And you'll be surprised how many times those get overlooked by PC debs.

ultimota

i just don't get this mentality at all o_o

UWP/UWA or win32 who cares its a good game that is what matters and what should matter.

steam launch.....compare it to how the uwa/uwp/windows store has launched little difference

and seeing "M$" will always always make me cringe. ALL businesses care almost solely about money.

(on a slightly related note but not really :p is there a build thread? starts in 7 hours did a search and couldn't find a thread)

Sjefen

You need some extra fingers dude

200.gif

They almost did, if it weren't for the fact that HRR monitors slipped testing. Whoops!

If HRR monitors were supported well from the get-go, I'm sure this thread wouldn't even exist, and we'd be singing praises (!)

If it weren't for the UWA fact, this would've been fixed already.

UWP/UWA or win32 who cares its a good game that is what matters and what should matter.

steam launch.....compare it to how the uwa/uwp/windows store has launched little difference

and seeing "M$" will always always make me cringe. ALL businesses care almost solely about money.

(on a slightly related note but not really :p is there a build thread? starts in 7 hours did a search and couldn't find a thread)

You mean, compare a service launched in 2004 compared to one in 2016 ? It's not about launch date. It's about features to expect in X years. It's 2016, not 2004 anymore. And it's not the first storefront for Microsoft too !

TheYanger

Then by that argument it was dead at birth. People were not going to buy an xbone just to support it, not for one game.

KI still remains the only game on the bone I want, but I will not have it under these conditions (UWP). I do not consent to their EULA, I will not use their store, simple.

If they want the IP to live, it will eventually have to go to Steam, Desura, GOG, etc as a Win32 app. If it doesn't, then it dies as an unfortunate casualty of M$ corporate greed.

Because Valve isn't a company and doesn't like money!
Just keep moving the goalposts, the game is there for you to get FOR FREE, you clearly don't actually care about playing it at all.

Acting like this couldn't happen on Steam is patently absurd.

From some of the overly defensive comments here it would appear that some people actually believe that.

Game logic tied to framerate? You got to be kidding me...

Are you kidding me that you are acting like that's new? TONS of games have their logic tied to their framerate, console-centric games especially. This is far from the first pc port to have this exact problem.

Yeah dude like every other game you have to change the refresh rate settings. Tbh I didnt even know my monitor had that. Oh well I'll stick to steam, origin, and GoG for now.

Once again, it's a simple bug with a simple fix, and has literally nothing to do with the store you bought it from.

Heck, you still have to run DSfix and it still breaks the logic of Dark Souls even if you buy it on steam afaik. Better not buy anything there either!

ShdwDrake

Banned
Wow, what an entitled little..

"The game is broken and unplayable! I'm not going to use a simple fix like Setting my refresh rate down before I decide to play ( A process that takes less than 30 seconds ), I'm going to tell the devs to get fucked instead!"

Whatever happened to "Animations seem to be tied to the framerate at 60fps, please work on a fix for this issue for players with high refresh rate monitors."

Gods, And he's a fur, too... People like him that fuck it up for the rest of us.

/rant

Yeah dude like every other game you have to change the refresh rate settings. Tbh I didnt even know my monitor had that. Oh well I'll stick to steam, origin, and GoG for now.

Durante

Acting like this couldn't happen on Steam is patently absurd.
Actually no, this particular incident (a game being refresh-dependent and being unable to easily fix this using external software) could not happen with a Win32 game distributed through any means (including Steam).

Shirakani

Banned

Its the same mentality that basically destroyed the Xbone during the unveil when MS unveiled the most anti consumer policies ever. People stood up then en masse and told them exactly where to go.

So what's wrong with doing it again now when they are clearly having another go? Just because they're trying their anti consumer practices 'bit by bit' now doesn't make it any less evil than when the Xbone was first announced.

It seems like a common theme with UWA. "Hey, it's ok for most people."
A glowing recommendation really, especially from an enthusiast perspective.

This is probably a bit difficult for me to say, but by all accounts, the game is fine, outside of high-refresh monitors.

I'd say that it IS OK for most people, and after the HRR bug is fixed (and is likely to be fixed given that it's now known), it'd be fine for everyone.

Don't conflate my statements about this game being fine with other games, or the UWA platform being fine.

cripterion

Or would it be the fact that fighting games traditionally operated on a fixed refresh interval?

You might have noticed that both are fighting games, and indeed, SFV PC version initially also had problems with systems going sub-60 FPS. I believe that the situation could be handled better, too.

If the testing suite had any and used them like a "sane" person would use their HRR monitors (set monitor to max everything on desktop), it'd be noticed fast. So I'm weighting on that. Keep in mind that neither 4K nor HRR are common on consumer monitors - even though that's all the buzz lies, the likely thing is that there's just a little of them in a sea of bog-standard 1080p 60 Hz monitors.

There was a stream of the game a couple days ago with 4K being tested so I was basing myself on that. I didn't watch it but just saw posts here on GAF on how the game was passing and not passing tests for ranked gameplay on a 980Ti.
My point being, if they're going to bother launching the game on pc, they should support the available tech... I personally own the Xbox One version, the only thing that interests me from having the game on pc is higher framerate and increased res at this point.

I have a 21:9 monitor which are about as common as HRR monitors. And you'll be surprised how many times those get overlooked by PC debs.

That's bad too, no doubt about it. I just think people have grounds to be disappointed and annoyed so far with MS games on Windows 10 considering all the lofty promises they made towards pc gamers, and how they would learn from past mistakes.

Seeing franchises making the transition half-assed is not really what I was expecting.

TheYanger

Its the same mentality that basically destroyed the Xbone during the unveil when MS unveiled the most anti consumer policies ever. People stood up then en masse and told them exactly where to go.

So what's wrong with doing it again now when they are clearly having another go? Just because they're trying their anti consumer practices 'bit by bit' now doesn't make it any less evil than when the Xbone was first announced.

So in other words, if a game is ONLY available on Steam, it's anti consumer and you won't dare touch the product either? Or are you just anti-M$ as you so classily like to call it.

23qwerty

Actually no, this particular incident (a game being refresh-dependent and being unable to easily fix this using external software) could not happen with a Win32 game distributed through any means (including Steam).

Ooh can you not limit UWP apps using RTSS or other software?

Shirakani

Banned
So in other words, if a game is ONLY available on Steam, it's anti consumer and you won't dare touch the product either? Or are you just anti-M$ as you so classily like to call it.

Do you by any chance pick cherries for a living?

You're doing a great job of picking out the word 'Steam' only from where I also pointedly said GOG, Desura, etc.

I want it on AS MANY other platforms as possible. I want us, the consumers, to have as much CHOICE as possible, INCLUDING DRM FREE on GOG.

I am a Steam user, but I don't really like it when games are ONLY on Steam as choice is always good.

TheYanger

Do you by any chance pick cherries for a living?

You're doing a great job of picking out the word 'Steam' only from where I also pointedly said GOG, Desura, etc.

I want it on AS MANY other platforms as possible. I want us, the consumers, to have as much CHOICE as possible, INCLUDING DRM FREE on GOG.

I am a Steam user, but I don't really like it when games are ONLY on Steam as choice is always good.

No, you're the one selectively reading. Youn can replace the word steam with any other service, my point is: You're actively boycotting the game under the pretense that it's only on their store. Do you also actively boycot every other game that is only on one platform or store? My money is on not.

My point being, if they're going to bother launching the game on pc, they should support the available tech... I personally own the Xbox One version, the only thing that interests me from having the game on pc is higher framerate and increased res at this point.

Yeah, I think it'd be a very good idea to be able to support everything equally well. Though I suspect this oversight is somewhat understandable, as it's both a fighting game with the expectation of a fixed 60 Hz refresh, and HRR monitors not being common at all.

Still doesn't change the thing that the game is fine for pretty much anyone that don't use a HRR monitor (pretty rare), and this issue will likely get fixed soon.

Me? I think I'm going to take the game out for a spin soon. Outside of the HRR gaffe, I think I'm going to have fun with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehk25k5QUh0

The video demonstrates it. The game is effectively unplayable, it's way too fast. Seems like the developers haven't tested it with different configs or Win10 UWP stuff is broken (the reason isn't confirmed, this is my speculation).

This is unacceptable, especially for a fighting game.

What is unacceptable is a new thread created to single out this simple issue that was responded to almost immediately when the OT thread went live today.

You didn't even care to research the challenge, post the actual fix or even update your OP afterward. The KI devs replied with a workaround which is to change your monitor refresh rate to 60hz in the monitor properties in Windows settings. The game's framerate is tied to the monitor refresh rate so if you run at 144hz it's going to play super fast.

Why is this blatant shitposting not dealt with or ostracized? People who may have been interested in checking out the game get to see the knee-jerk reactions to some launch challenges that have workarounds. And yes the Windows 10 Store experience sucks right now but that's not KI's fault. I'm just salty because it's been a month or two of straight knee-jerk shitposting from kids with the launches of SFV, Hitman and now KI.
(Yes some of it is tongue-in-cheek posting fun at launch but a lot of doo-doo posts)

Shirakani

Banned
No, you're the one selectively reading. Youn can replace the word steam with any other service, my point is: You're actively boycotting the game under the pretense that it's only on their store. Do you also actively boycot every other game that is only on one platform or store? My money is on not.

I don't use Origin either, but that's because EA. I will admit I despise them to death as a company and would rather flush money down the toilet than give it to them.

Boycotting Steam is like boycotting gaming as a whole. Which is silly. Steam also is nowhere NEAR as ridiculously restrictive as UWP's are. Besides Origin however I use every other platform.

While unfortunate we do have to choose ONE of the evils, so I choose the lesser of the evils. That being said however that doesn't mean I'm going to accept new evils being born quietly either w/o taking a stance.

If you can't agree that UWP/UWA's are a new low in restrictiveness which is so horrendously bad that devs are speaking out about it, then we're done here and there's nothing left to say. You've chosen your stance and I've chosen mine, neither of us are going to change.

I don't really feel that changing the refresh rate is Windows is an easily acceptable solution, you'll have to go through a bunch of steps before you start the game and have to go through the same steps again every time you close the game. Unless you are just keeping your monitor on 60 hz for the foreseeable future, which seems like a waste.

In this case it at least can be fixed with a framerate cap.

Dec

Yeah, I think it'd be a very good idea to be able to support everything equally well. Though I suspect this oversight is somewhat understandable, as it's both a fighting game with the expectation of a fixed 60 Hz refresh, and HRR monitors not being common at all.

Still doesn't change the thing that the game is fine for pretty much anyone that don't use a HRR monitor (pretty rare), and this issue will likely get fixed soon.

Me? I think I'm going to take the game out for a spin soon. Outside of the HRR gaffe, I think I'm going to have fun with it.

Where are you pulling from your ass that HRR monitors are rare?

Also expecting a certain refresh rate is not understandable, if the game logic is tied to FPS they can easily lock the game to 60fps and still allow high refresh rates, which would still offer benefits. The issue is that since the game doesn't offer an official way to lock the frame rate and it's on the Windows 10 store, you can't lock the frame rate yourself.

FyreWulff

Given that KI shipped with a very easily triggered desync on console, I'm just assuming the game engine itself has some .. legacy code issues.

Freiya

I'd like to reiterate my previous rant, as I see that some people didn't quite get what I meant.

My issue is not with the fact that there is a problem with KI on High-refresh-rate monitors. it's an oversight that should be, and likely will be quickly rectified.

My issue is with people acting like little shits while they're complaining about a comparatively tiny problem that can be fixed with a temporary workaround, that can be slightly annoying, but is ridiculously simple compared to some other PC fixes i've seen.

Mountains out of molehills, is what i'm sayin' here. It's not like we need Durante. Chill, guys.

Everyone with a brain understood from the first post. I actually face palmed when I saw all the stupid posts in this thread. The game actually runs amazingly well and it looks better than SFV but instead of praise the game gets ripped over a very small bug that probably only effects a small handful of the people actually making the comments in the first place.

It's limited to 30hz on 4k and 60hz on 1080p. I rarely game on PC so this hasn't really been an issue for me until Killer Instinct.

I dunno if you realize this but this is not the fault of the game. Your TV is fully to blame and no patch from IG is going to fix it. You need to run the game in 1080p, your 4k TV was not made for gaming.

I think you're missing the point about why people are reacting this way. It's not about this game. It's not about this issue. It's about history and a decade of broken promises. What people see is a trend. Exclusive marketplaces, game after game with numerous issues. This problem might be fixed within the week. The real trouble is that if this exists as a headline, it reinforces that Microsoft has failed yet again to deliver at even a competent level on PC.

This is silly. I mean it's like people literally have to grasp at straws to find something to bash. The game runs perfectly save for a very small bug. What game comes out bug free? They actually put out a game where people have to grasp at straws to find something wrong and it's still not good enough? lol sounds like some pure fanboy anti MS hate imo.

RexNovis

Banned
That video is HILARIOUS. I wish we heard the characters or announcer talk I bet they sound like chipmunks. Someone needs to redo the practice section with the old school circus music or something. Holy shit it's been a long time since I laughed til my sides hurt. How the hell does something like this make it through testing?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Wouldn't this only affect a pretty tiny percentage of users? Furthermore, an even tinier percentage of THOSE cant workaround it?

Yeah it needs to be fixed but to lose it so badly over them not testing for something that they may not have thought of due to the small population involved seems a bit much.

I mean, do you even own the game OP?

cripterion

Everyone with a brain understood from the first post. I actually face palmed when I saw all the stupid posts in this thread. The game actually runs amazingly well and it looks better than SFV but instead of praise the game gets ripped over a very small bug that probably only effects a small handful of the people actually making the comments in the first place.

I dunno if you realize this but this is not the fault of the game. Your TV is fully to blame and no patch from IG is going to fix it. You need to run the game in 1080p, your 4k TV was not made for gaming.

This is silly. I mean it's like people literally have to grasp at straws to find something to bash. The game runs perfectly save for a very small bug. What game comes out bug free? They actually put out a game where people have to grasp at straws to find something wrong and it's still not good enough? lol sounds like some pure fanboy anti MS hate imo.

I appreciate cross-play and cross-buy but remind me again why the game should be praised?
And it looking better than Street Fighter V is also debatable.

Where are you pulling from your ass that HRR monitors are rare?

Also expecting a certain refresh rate is not understandable, if the game logic is tied to FPS they can easily lock the game to 60fps and still allow high refresh rates, which would still offer benefits. The issue is that since the game doesn't offer an official way to lock the frame rate and it's on the Windows 10 store, you can't lock the frame rate yourself.

Depends on if we're talking about enthusiast-level PC gaming, or among all PCs. I think the portion of HRR monitors are much larger than usual for the former, but for the latter... well, 60 Hz monitors are still extremely common, and for most people, that's all they need.

If only the Steam HW survey mentioned exactly how many people have HRR monitors. It does have concrete info that resolutions exceeding 1080p are best described as "minority of a minority", though. From this, I'm thinking that maybe high end monitors are all the buzz, but the truth is not many people own them.

Yeah, UWA needs a way to allow external influences on graphical rendering, I agree.

This thread is feeling very toxic to me. I think I'm going to leave this thread alone and watch it simmer down.

It's a dumb bug and I find it annoying to 'downclock' my monitor, but some of the overreactions here are insane. On the whole this is a really good port, delivered at an extremely fair price with retroactive cross-buy. Killer Instinct PC is not the game to get your pitchforks out for.

GHG

Wouldn't this only affect a pretty tiny percentage of users? Furthermore, an even tinier percentage of THOSE cant workaround it?

Yeah it needs to be fixed but to lose it so badly over them not testing for something that they may not have thought of due to the small population involved seems a bit much.

I mean, do you even own the game OP?

High refresh rate monitors are not a new thing in the PC gaming scene anymore. Regardless, PC gaming was never about exclusion, it's all about inclusion. It's the one platform where you are supposed to be able to play your games any way you want, and higher refresh rates has become a big part of that for some people.

You're so quick to attempt to draw together a defence of this issue and make it personal towards the op that you are missing the point.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
One thing I also noticed is that when set to fullscreen, this game tears like a mother. And this is on a G-Sync monitor. I haven't seen frame tearing in years!

Top Bottom