• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct on W10 framerate tied to monitor refresh - with 144hz it's unplayable

Freiya

I appreciate cross-play and cross-buy but remind me again why the game should be praised?
And it looking better than Street Fighter V is also debatable.
It shouldn't be bashed. I also just played both games at 4k 60 fps and ki definitely looks more impressive. This is coming from someone who enjoys sfv much more too.

Actually no, this particular incident (a game being refresh-dependent and being unable to easily fix this using external software) could not happen with a Win32 game distributed through any means (including Steam).

Surely installing 3rd party software to fix this type of issue seems more of a hassle than just changing the monitors refresh rate?

Now if the game had frame pacing issues then I could understand this logic.

nkarafo

Don't complain, just use RTSS.

Oh.
I mean, seriously. The moment people complained about being unable to use 3rd patry utilities to fix/improve games, a game is released which has a major problem that said utilities would fix.

It's like Microsoft does this on purpose to troll the PC community.

Neil_J_UK

I have a 144hz monitor, but I don't get this issue. Instead, it seems to be running at about 1 frame every 2 seconds. PC specs isn't an issue.

TheYanger

I mean, seriously. The moment people complained about being unable to use 3rd patry utilities to fix/improve games, a game is released which has a major problem that said utilities would fix.

It's like Microsoft does this on purpose to troll the PC community.

Already pointed out on the last page that you CAN limit the framerate with your video card software. So this is literally a nothing issue. Yeah, it can and should be fixed, and probably will be.

Waaghals

GFWL was also an unmitigated technical disaster.
I had issues with every game I bought there. They all refused to work properly at first.

It should be no surprise that MS is continuing that proud tradition.

RM8

GFWL was also an unmitigated technical disaster.
I had issues with every game I bought there. They all refused to work properly at first.

It should be no surprise that MS is continuing that proud tradition.
I ended up uninstalling all games I bought that had GFWL. Sometimes simply freaking logging in was an impossible task, it was awful. This game, though? If they fix this, it's going to be a fantastic version of the game.

Corpekata

Banned
Surely installing 3rd party software to fix this type of issue seems more of a hassle than just changing the monitors refresh rate?

I mean, presuming you launch the game once and never again, I guess?

I'd take downloading a 3rd party app to cap it once over having to change my refresh rate every time I play a game.

Mechazawa

One thing I also noticed is that when set to fullscreen, this game tears like a mother. And this is on a G-Sync monitor. I haven't seen frame tearing in years!

Are you on dual monitors?

This wasn't an issue at 120hz for whatever reason, but at 60hz, I encountered screen tearing at fullscreen if I had two monitors hooked up.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
High refresh rate monitors are not a new thing in the PC gaming scene anymore. Regardless, PC gaming was never about exclusion, it's all about inclusion. It's the one platform where you are supposed to be able to play your games any way you want, and higher refresh rates has become a big part of that for some people.

You're so quick to attempt to draw together a defence of this issue and make it personal towards the op that you are missing the point.

I said it needs fixing. I also know they're not new. But they're also not what the majority of monitors are either. It would have been an oversight.

I mentioned the OP because I'm fairly confident he doesn't own an Xbox and generally isn't a Microsoft fan so most likely doesn't own KI at all. So his need to start this thread just reeks of an agenda is all.

pezley

Banned
Good! I don't want the GAME to die... Gee, ppl are getting the wrong idea here...

I want it to fail as an UWP/UWA/Win10 app. I want THAT to die.

I want the GAME to go to Steam, GOG, Desura, whatever... other platforms, as a Win32 app, and thrive! I want it free of M$' clutches.

You want a Microsoft owned and published game out of the cluthces of Microsoft.

Like it or not they are bringing over games to Windows which potentially never were going to be. You are not entitled to have it on steam, you are not entitled to be able to mod the game.

At the moment all I'm seeing is that the only problem so far with this being UWP is the locked frame rate which we dont even know if UWP is responsible for or if it's just an oversight in development. If it doesn't get fixed for the few users with high response monitors then it pretty awful but you are condemning something so far with out giving it a chance. Grow up, enjoy games as a gamer, not a fan boy. You sound like an idiot.

Arkanius

I was so excited and got instantly set down when I did the framerate test and saw everything in Turbo mode.

Another disappointment with UWP/Microsoft

netBuff

the 120-144hz sucks but why would any pc gamer pick 4k with 30hz over a lower rez with at least 60?

the actual issue itself sucks but i doubt it will take long to fix (until then just tweak your monitor settings) people turning this into an anti Microsoft/UWP/UWA thread need to just stop =_=

But this is, ultimately, an UWP issue. Without UWP, we wouldn't even have to wait for a fix.

UWP does all kinds of crazy to people. One small mistake, which isn't that uncommon for this genre, and people act as if the earth is getting destroyed.

UWP is at issue.

Like it or not they are bringing over games to Windows which potentially never were going to be. You are not entitled to have it on steam, you are not entitled to be able to mod the game.

At the moment all I'm seeing is that the only problem so far with this being UWP is the locked frame rate which we dont even know if UWP is responsible for or if it's just an oversight in development. If it doesn't get fixed for the few users with high response monitors then it pretty awful but you are condemning something so far with out giving it a chance. Grow up, enjoy games as a gamer, not a fan boy. You sound like an idiot.

UWP is responsible for people being unable to lock the frame rate manually and lack of Gsync support.

Changing the monitor's refresh rate is a huge hassle.

Corpekata

Banned
UWP does all kinds of crazy to people. One small mistake, which isn't that uncommon for this genre, and people act as if the earth is getting destroyed.

It is actually pretty uncommon, not just for the genre, but for gaming as a whole. The last game I recall tying logic to refresh was like Toukiden Kiwami and that was a bug only on Gsync monitors and caused a similar effect here. I can't recall a game in the past few years that's had this issue besides that.

wazoo

SuperÑ;199600090 said:
These pc gamers dont know what they want. Always asking for unlocked framerate and now they complain!

Haha.

The fact is we are asking for unlocked software.

ultimota

But this is, ultimately, an UWP issue. Without UWP, we wouldn't even have to wait for a fix.

UWP is at issue.

UWP is responsible
for people being unable to lock the frame rate manually and lack of Gsync support.

You can use the frame limiter in Inspector to cap it at 60fps. I just tried it and it works.

^^^ if UWP is the issue why can that do it? i don't know much about it or using/making 3rd party software
but if that can do it surely someone can make something else that can do it

PSGames

Everyone with a brain understood from the first post. I actually face palmed when I saw all the stupid posts in this thread. The game actually runs amazingly well and it looks better than SFV but instead of praise the game gets ripped over a very small bug that probably only effects a small handful of the people actually making the comments in the first place.

I dunno if you realize this but this is not the fault of the game. Your TV is fully to blame and no patch from IG is going to fix it. You need to run the game in 1080p, your 4k TV was not made for gaming.

This is silly. I mean it's like people literally have to grasp at straws to find something to bash. The game runs perfectly save for a very small bug. What game comes out bug free? They actually put out a game where people have to grasp at straws to find something wrong and it's still not good enough? lol sounds like some pure fanboy anti MS hate imo.

No you're right. I let the dream of 4k Killer Instinct get the better of me. Other than some content unlocking issues the game runs beautifully and I am in no way downing the game at all. It looks amazing even at full 1080p compared to the Xbox One version. 4k will just have to wait.

pezley

Banned

UWP is at issue.

UWP is responsible for people being unable to lock the frame rate manually and lack of Gsync support.

I appreciate the way UWP delivers applications default to 60hz but that doesn't mean it's a limitation of the platform. It may just be the developers overlooked options. If they do fix this then it's another one we can tick off that people often complain about UWP being limited in scope

wazoo

It is actually pretty uncommon, not just for the genre, but for gaming as a whole. The last game I recall tying logic to refresh was like Toukiden Kiwami and that was a bug only on Gsync monitors and caused a similar effect here. I can't recall a game in the past few years that's had this issue besides that.

Syncing frame logic with monitor is a console programming behaviour. At least the game is not running 50HZ on european monitors...

SuperÑ;199600090 said:
These pc gamers dont know what they want. Always asking for unlocked framerate and now they complain!

This is a joke post? Right. In case somebody decide to take it seriously, i will still leave a responce to rebunk this:

Physics tied to framerate=/=unlocked framerate. It's basically is the same as locked framerate, cuz you need to lock it to make it playable.

Also, nobody wants unlocked framerate in a fighting game. not even PC players... fighting games are balanced on frame by frame basis, meaning every single person playing should be playing at the same framerate, otherwise game mechanics simply break down.

If only the Steam HW survey mentioned exactly how many people have HRR monitors. It does have concrete info that resolutions exceeding 1080p are best described as "minority of a minority", though. From this, I'm thinking that maybe high end monitors are all the buzz, but the truth is not many people own them.

The problem with this is that there are a ton of users (>100 million) using Steam. So say >1080p monitors are like, 2-3% of the market. That is 2-3% of that ton of users if the Steam HW survey is an accurate representation of the user base. Also, chances are if a user shelled out money for a 1440p monitor or a high hz monitor, they are probably on average more likely to play some higher end games. Probably not a common customer but not rare enough to not test for it at all.

You don't even need a high refresh rate monitor to test the effects of high frame rate scenarios either, you can simply disable vsync and just let the game run (although considering the UWP circumstances, perhaps they literally have never / could never run it with vsync off?).

TheYanger

UWP is at issue.

Then use the other solution already posted. Or are you just gonna keep ignoring it?

Should probably update the OP.

netBuff

Then use the other solution already posted. Or are you just gonna keep ignoring it?

Should probably update the OP.

That's not a solution; manually activating and deactivating a global frame rate limit is about as much of a hassle as changing the monitor's refresh rate.

GHG

I said it needs fixing. I also know they're not new. But they're also not what the majority of monitors are either. It would have been an oversight.

I mentioned the OP because I'm fairly confident he doesn't own an Xbox and generally isn't a Microsoft fan so most likely doesn't own KI at all. So his need to start this thread just reeks of an agenda is all.

It's a pretty big oversight considering high refresh rate monitors are now a staple feature/option of PC gaming. This isn't some obsucure tech we are talking about here. If you are developing a game for the PC now it's something that should be taken into consideration from the outset. It's not 2013 anymore.

It also doesn't matter who starts the topic, it's an issue that needed to be highlighted as it would with any other game. Should we have waited for you to start the topic? Would that have been better?

Wanting a game to be an open win32 app like virtually every other PC game makes you a fanboy now? That's a new one.

Read again, Steam is not the only DD platform he mentions.

wazoo

From what I see, pretty much every new UWP game has bugs that can not be fixed by the user, bugs that are different for each game. So everything should be fixable, but now we are at mercy of devs, and we all know how risky this situation is.

Mechazawa

Global frame rate limit != application specific frame rate limit

That's not a solution; manually activating and deactivating a global frame rate limit is about as much of a hassle as changing the monitor's refresh rate.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Limiting the framerate through Inspector is not a global change. I did it on an application-specific basis and that 60hz change affects only Killer Instinct.

TheYanger

"Solutions"

Maybe MS could update UWP to not be so problematic? And while they're at it, fix their Xbox Controller driver that's been broken for a month.

The only problem here is that you're trying to make an issue out of something that is already workably fixed, and will be patched asap, and trying to blame the entire thing on UWP because...agenda? who knows. Someone posted a problem, solution got posted, and now you've gotta try and push whatever irrational hatred you have still because M$?

netBuff

I have no idea what you're talking about. Limiting the framerate through Inspector is not a global change. I did it on an application-specific basis and that 60hz change affects only Killer Instinct.

Hm, I guess I stand corrected then. Interpreted your post as being a global frame rate change. That improves the situation. Still less flexible than regular win32.

Just set your monitor to 60hz until the patch is out guys. For people with 30hz monitors, just wait a bit until a patch is out.

For real, people are acting crazy in here. This is why I try not to venture into gamingGaf as often as I'd like. It's embarrassing.

So when does the free win10 upgrade end? I would like to take advantage of it, but I think I might wait to the last minute in hope for more updates.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Just set your monitor to 60hz until the patch is out guys. For people with 30hz monitors, just wait a bit until a patch is out.

For real, people are acting crazy in here. This is why I try not to venture into gamingGaf as often as I'd like. It's embarrassing.
Some people did and they still have tearing. So something isn't right here.

Chev

Plus how do you get other fighting games like Street Fighter 5 and others to run when their logic is also tied to 60FPS?
On PC for the last 25 years at least programmers have known how to separate the gameplay update rate from the display frame rate, because display rate vary from monitor to monitor. Game logic runs at a fixed rate (60fps for fighting games), rendering runs at whatever it can handle. It's not very hard and the windows SDK has several very good samples which you can just copy paste. It's not the hello world of PC game programming, but certainly the next step. Not doing it is a typical basic console port mistake, though it seems UWP is also to blame here.

wazoo

Variable gameplay framerate is clearly related to bad console porting.

It happened too with Need For Speed where drops in framerate results in slowdowns of the gameplay.

Some people are clearly overreacting when it's likely an issue that can be quickly fixed

Either way it is a good example of why UWPs limitations need to be culled quickly

Today MS has that build thing started so I'll hear them out to see if they're making it more open

Two options imo

1. They focus on what people want with a clear planning path
2. They say stuff like we're fixing vsync and multi gpu (easy stuff they can fix) while being vague about the rest thinking it's enough to fool people

Ferrio

Banned
People asking for the logic to not be tied to the framerate seem to not understand how fighting games work. It's tied to the logic due to the nature of the genre, I honestly don't see how you could seperate the two.

Some people are clearly overreacting when it's likely an issue that can be quickly fixed

Either way it is a good example of why UWPs limitations need to be culled quickly

Today MS has that build thing started so I'll hear them out to see if they're making it more open

Two options imo

1. They focus on what people want with a clear planning path
2. They say stuff like we're fixing vsync and multi gpu (easy stuff they can fix) while being vague about the rest thinking it's enough to fool people

http://www.pcgamer.com/phil-spencer-interview-on-microsofts-pc-gaming-strategy/

Phil Spencer said:
Certain things will happen very quickly in terms of, like, mGPU support and stuff where there’s no policy, it’s just us working through the timeline of implementation. VSync lock, kind of the same thing. There’s specific reasons that it’s there, but it’s not something that’s kind of a religion on our side that this has to work.
I understand the need to react and to fit in in the PC gaming community with the tools that they rightfully want at their disposal. It’s in our tracking system, stuff that we’re going to get done, and we have a real path to get it done. The reason I wanted to articulate those issues and deficiencies is so that people recognise I’m not trying to say they’re not important. I’m not trying to say that, ‘oh, 90% of the people don’t even know what mGPU means so go away.’ I’m saying, ‘no, these are features we know we need to support that we know they’re not there today but we are committed to supporting in the future.’ Because I don’t want people to look at this as a passing fancy on our part of, ‘can we just quickly port some console games over to PC and hope to make a little bit of money?’ It’s not all about that. We are the Windows company, and ensuring that the Windows gaming ecosystem is strong is important, and that means supporting these features.

undu

What is unacceptable is a new thread created to single out this simple issue that was responded to almost immediately when the OT thread went live today.

You didn't even care to research the challenge, post the actual fix or even update your OP afterward. The KI devs replied with a workaround which is to change your monitor refresh rate to 60hz in the monitor properties in Windows settings. The game's framerate is tied to the monitor refresh rate so if you run at 144hz it's going to play super fast.

Why is this blatant shitposting not dealt with or ostracized? People who may have been interested in checking out the game get to see the knee-jerk reactions to some launch challenges that have workarounds. And yes the Windows 10 Store experience sucks right now but that's not KI's fault. I'm just salty because it's been a month or two of straight knee-jerk shitposting from kids with the launches of SFV, Hitman and now KI.
(Yes some of it is tongue-in-cheek posting fun at launch but a lot of doo-doo posts)

You're the one shit-posting, in the video it's very well-explained why doesn't he change the refresh rate of the monitor.

Top Bottom