• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct S2 - TJ Combo reveal, Cinder tease.

Not sure how I feel about this. He seems utterly out of place in the roster now. Like some guy who walked off the street and decided punching a cyborg with blade arms seemed like a good idea

Toxi

Banned
Non-troll question: When is this game actually going to be completed?

Full character rooster, no more updates.
The entire point of this season model is that they keep updating the base game with new characters every season.

The base game was completed when Fulgore and arcade mode came out.

louie

TJ Combo's design always confused me as a kid anyway. A boxer with tiger knees? So he's a muay thai fighter that just dresses like a boxer? And now they've given him fingerless mma gloves as well to mix it up even more. It all seems rather unfocused.

Garcia

That probably depends on how successful season 2 is. But there is a chance that they're adding the real final boss with this update.

Have they mentioned if they'll bring back either one of the 2 previous bosses? Eyedol would be interesting to see.

TJ Combo's design always confused me as a kid anyway. A boxer with tiger knees? So he's a muay thai fighter that just dresses like a boxer? And now they've given him fingerless mma gloves as well to mix it up even more. It all seems rather unfocused.
He looks like an MMA fighter, full stop. He's just wearing boxing shoes.

Combo's design was always simplistic. He was just a boxer with super huge arms. Then in KI 2 he lost those arms but for some reason he had an eyepatch.

He got an eyepatch because of his fight with Riptor, in which Riptor took out his eye within that.

Dai101

Banned
I wonder why this wasn't at the conference. He looks like a blast to play.

Just for a teaser for one character? I don't think so. Besides and as a good news, i heard he's going to be fully playable @MS Booth.

Never? They can keep updating the game without that. I really like this model.

why does he look like mike tyson?

The same reason all the females looked like Janet Jackson back in the day.

I just want Cinder asap, sorry Combo lol

Maybe @ EVO they announce him or even demo it.

louie

He looks like an MMA fighter, full stop. He's just wearing boxing shoes.

So is he actually an mma fighter then? Because with the lack of grappling, and a moveset primarily made of punches I just always pictured him as a boxer that threw knees for some reason. I just don't think the design reads very well. I wish they stuck with the ki2 brawler look.

Edit:

Yeah, see, looking back I would definitely say this design conveys the image of a boxer.
CsxIYfW.jpg

Sydle

He looks okay, there will probably be a good alternative look. I like his moves.

I'd wager we see Cinder at EVO and Riptor at Gamescom.

Probably when people stop buying it?

There was an interview with Double Helix several months ago where they mentioned that it would be tough to go beyond 24 characters while keeping it interesting in terms of unique fighter archetypes.

There are still other things to add though such as no mercies, ultimates, alternative ultras, stage knock offs, costumes, etc.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Wanted to catch up on this since I missed this yesterday and only heard about it before the MS conference.

I don't dig how he looks nothing like the original TJ Combo, but I'll guess that with classic costumes, they have the liberty to make him look that different now.

Nice that the first character they showed was one of the two most requested from what I've seen, and the other most requested is teased to be shown next.

Also he's totally not a boxer anymore, and now is a straight-up MMA guy - but it makes sense since he uses his legs.

Salty Hippo

I hated it too. They should make him bigger, for starters. And then change his haircut. Make it look more like classic TJ.

b46612edd29029329ea04df02bf001b5.gif

Give him a lower cut on the top and a skin fade haircut on the sides. And give him the eye patch. Done.

sangreal

I hated it too. They should make him bigger, for starters. And then change his haircut. Make it look more like classic TJ.

b46612edd29029329ea04df02bf001b5.gif

Give him a lower cut on the top and a skin fade haircut on the sides. And give him the eye patch. Done.

but it's not supposed to look like classic tj. they have the classic skins for that

I'll never understand complaints about terribly outdated KI designs getting re-updated. If you want to play the exact same looking character, play their classic skin.

Skab

It's worth noting in here, for those who dont really follow KI stuff, that it has been confirmed that TJ has literally only had about six weeks of work done on him.

I like it. I'm sorry to hear a lot of GAF doesn't seem to care for the redesign.

So far, I think all the redesigns except Glacius are miles better than the originals, including Combo. I cringe whenever I see most of the classic costumes online; they look so stupid in higher-quality graphics.

MrMephistoX

I'll never understand complaints about terribly outdated KI designs getting re-updated. If you want to play the exact same looking character, play their classic skin.

I know right? Only in some cases the original skin is not exactly an improvement like poor Thunder or Saberwulf.

klodeckel

Banned
TJ Combo seems to be played like Sabrewulf - which is awesome, because he is the only character I can handle xD I love this game, but wow ... I am so bad at it :p

Miles X

If they have any business sense, early 2016.

Season 2 - September 2014 - March 2015
Season 3 - All previous 16 characters + 8 characters on a retail disc by Spring 2016.

Raitaro

While TJ's gameplay looks solid, I've become (even) more critical about his visual design (which was the result of 6 weeks of work apparently, so fingers crossed it's not final).

Like Max, I hope IG tweaks him a quite a bit for the final version. I'd like him to be taller (just shorter than Thunder - or a even bit taller perhaps) and look more like a super hero (as Max put it) as well. Maybe some different clothes, or the addition of a more flashy piece of clothing (like a flag as cape or something). No cybernetics if that's not in tune with his new story, but something that shows his pride and return to (fully human) form instead. Make his hair and face different as well to make him look less everyday and look less like Ewing. His eye-patch can come back as well imo. Gave him character.

I do very much like his stage by the way. I think it is my third favorite after Spinal and Jago's. It as quite blue-ish and dark again though (which, as I said before, has been my pet peeve regarding the stage design so far: too many dark and blue-ish stages - just look at the stage thumbnails).

Top Bottom