• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLER INSTINCT - Sadira trailer - ORCHID TEASE

bumpkin

See, what they should do if they do decide to add other past RARE characters that some deem senseless or out-of-place is have a toggle in the game's options menu to disable them. Out of sight, out of mind!

I'm not someone who'd flip that switch though. Battletoads still has a place in my heart, even if I could never get past that mother fucking speeder bike level. :)

Rlan

Killer Instinct basically has a storyline that can go in a lot of directions. "Ultra tech" has the ability to open portals through time and space to find the best battlers. A giant toad-man wouldn't be off the cards. I'd honestly like to see more if the non-human combatants, as it makes Killer Instinct vastly different to any other big fighter out there at the moment.

Also, they do have a character called Sabrewulf, after all.

DrDogg

The launch lineup of characters doesn't have any one I want to play (although the new play styles of Sadira/Orchid might appeal to me once I play them), so I'm very much looking forward to finding out who the last two characters are.

While I would really like to see a Battletoad, I also want to see Tusk and Kim Wu as they were my mains in KI2. As long as we see all of them, I don't care what order we get them in. A Battletoad does not take away from KI in any way.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Besides being competitive games, and general fun, fighting games are a big celebration of characters. There's some much detail and attention paid to making specific designs, personalities, and motion appear on each participant! This is why well done crossovers and guest in fighters is such a great idea: you'll get to see the special characters with much more definition and love than they ever get to show in their original genres.

What RARE fan should turn down a chance for once of their characters to get an unlikely chance to actually appear again in modern gaming? A Battletoad, Joanna Dark, Kameo, Juno and Vela from Jetforce Gemini... heck, as mentioned, there's already a "Sabre Wulf" homage in the game, since inception! Might as well toss in a Jetpac and Knightlore character while we're at it!

As a matter of fact, RARE references would make good costume accessories, really. Jetforce recently got skins in Minecraft Xbox? Might as well reference them here, too! If Orchid ends up just a bit like Vela after a few costume and color modifications, OH WELL!

This game is a console-exclusive fighter too, so we wouldn't have to worry about a Guest being Non-tourney viable due to not being in the other console version of the game, or something of that sort.

As long as a guest is developed with the same TLC as any other, I have no issue. If they turn out to be an un-inspired cash in, that makes no attempt to actually fit in, or justify their existence... well, then it'll be time to grab those pitchforks and torches...

Voting for Viva Piñata mode that replaces blood and fireball particles with candy and confetti-like explosions!

Jarlaxle

I'd really prefer they stay away from guest characters as I feel it cheapens the game and universe. This is not Smas Bros. if they want to make their own Smash or Battle Royale then I would love to see these characters return of course.

I want to see all of the playable characters return. Yes, even Tusk, Kim Wu, and Maya. I'd like to see how DH would rue imagine them. Also, I like what they've done in creating Sadira. I'd like to see what else they could come up with. If by season 3 they've run through all the KI characters and a bunch of new ones and they feel like they're done creatively with characters then I guess it might be alright but I think it might still upset me.

You know, they probably won't be doing it.. But I would love to see the bosses playable again.

Eyedol, and Gargos. [2 characters]

I'm not sure what they could do for Eyedol, but they could easily give Gargos the flight mechanic to create some combos.

We have: Jago, Sabrewulf, Glacius, Thunder, Sadira and Orchid. [6 characters]

Who's left: Fulgore, Spinal, TJ Combo, Riptor, Cinder, Kim Wu, Maya and Tusk. [8 characters]

A total of 16 characters, 17 because i'm sure DH will create a new character, specifically a male one.

The cast is so little, but I can't wait to see it expand in the future.

I hope DH eventually gives everybody more moves. It is kind of crazy how limited every character is when they can do more. For instance why can't Sadira do her heavy widow's bite from the ground when she launches someone in the air. Also they should bring back her old move.

Why doesn't sabre wulf have a howl as a projectile. Personally think he should have a move similar to blanka launching himself across the screen.

Thunder should definitely have an air throw. Heck he should have two more throws in general.

Jago seems fine, but I wouldn't mind if he had his slide.

Glacius also is fine, but he should have a move that freezes you in place.

Orchid I hope gets a counter move.

I'd really prefer they stay away from guest characters as I feel it cheapens the game and universe. This is not Smas Bros. if they want to make their own Smash or Battle Royale then I would love to see these characters return of course.

I want to see all of the playable characters return. Yes, even Tusk, Kim Wu, and Maya. I'd like to see how DH would rue imagine them. Also, I like what they've done in creating Sadira. I'd like to see what else they could come up with. If by season 3 they've run through all the KI characters and a bunch of new ones and they feel like they're done creatively with characters then I guess it might be alright but I think it might still upset me.

I get what your saying but at the end of the day it's still just a video game and they are meant to be fun. KI is from the 90s. In the 90s you had all kinds of crazy bonus stuff like being able to play as Bill Clinton in NBA JAM, Pepsi Man in Fighters Megamix, and you could play as Darth Maul and Spider Man in Tony Hawk Pro Skater. It's no different than that. It's to give it the authentic 90s charm.

Jarlaxle

I get what your saying but at the end of the day it's still just a video game and they are meant to be fun. KI is from the 90s. In the 90s you had all kinds of crazy bonus stuff like being able to play as Bill Clinton in NBA JAM, Pepsi Man in Fighters Megamix, and you could play as Darth Maul and Spider Man in Tony Hawk Pro Skater. It's no different than that. It's to give it the authentic 90s charm.
I understand what you mean vgtgbut there we a ton of games from the 90's that didn't incorporate guest characters and Killer Instinct was actually one of them. NBA Jam did this from the beginning. Killer Instinct did not. It's really one of the things that I've hated that they've done to Soul Calibur. It really doesn't matter what I think though since it sounds like they've decided to do this.

I understand what you mean vgtgbut there we a ton of games from the 90's that didn't incorporate guest characters and Killer Instinct was actually one of them. NBA Jam did this from the beginning. Killer Instinct did not. It's really one of the things that I've hated that they've done to Soul Calibur. It really doesn't matter what I think though since it sounds like they've decided to do this.

Actually KI did have a guest character since day one:

sabrewulf_box.jpg

that ZX spectrum game and character looks nothing like the character that shows up in KI.

The name might be the same, but claiming SW is a guest character from that game is stretching it.

The Sabrewulf in KI is a homage to the RARE orignal. That's why he has blue fur and shares the same name. It's presumed they will do radical alterations to which ever RARE guest star is in the new KI (see that Battletoads pic a page or so back as an example).

The Sabrewulf in KI is a homage to the RARE orignal. That's why he has blue fur and shares the same name. It's presumed they will do radical alterations to which ever RARE guest star is in the new KI (see that Battletoads pic a page or so back as an example).

a homage is not a guest character.

NEO0MJ

The Sabrewulf in KI is a homage to the orignal. That's why he has blue fur and shares the same name.

Like you said though, he was just a homage to the character, not the same one. Their backstories are also completely different. Besides, SW first appeared in the original KI, if they bring a guest/homage character now while skipping on past favorites such as Spinal it would be stupid. Nice idea though for season 3, even season 2 if they squeeze in all the essential characters.

You are nitpicking. If they put a giant mutant toad in the new KI with the same name as a battletoad it would be a homage just like Sabrewulf

but it wouldn't be a "guest character." if they put Zitz, Rash, or Pimple into KI, THAT's a guest character, since it existed before the game did and "borrows" the concept and design.

KI's sabrewolf is an original concept that shares the name and literally nothing else. If they create a character named "Battletoad" with no relation to the 8 or 16 bit characters then that's an "homage" and not a guest character either.

It's not that hard to figure out, man.

but it wouldn't be a "guest character." if they put Zitz, Rash, or Pimple into KI, THAT's a guest character, since it existed before the game did and "borrows" the concept and design.

KI's sabrewolf is an original concept that shares the name and literally nothing else. If they create a character named "Battletoad" with no relation to the 8 or 16 bit characters then that's an "homage" and not a guest character either.

It's not that hard to figure out, man.

It's more than just a name they both have blue fur and a background that has to do with mysticism.

But whatever there gonna do whatever they want with the game so no point arguing. Some people want guest characters some people don't. whatever

Are you guys really arguing over semantics when the point is still the exact same? A Battletoad in KI is a Battletoad in KI, same backstories or not.

Stop fighting over petty things and get HYPED!

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

zainetor

Banned
The thing max mentioned in his last video, about the beta, might be true.
I remember when they announced the price model, they mentioned that if you bought the 40 or 20 dollar version, you were going to hwve access to the new character before their official release.

bumpkin

Are you guys really arguing over semantics when the point is still the exact same? A Battletoad in KI is a Battletoad in KI, same backstories or not.

Stop fighting over petty things and get HYPED!

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER
*this is NEOGAF dude GIF*

bumpkin

When are they gonna reveal the classic KI skins? That's what I really want to see!

I mean other than Orchid in action, finally.

LTWheels

I doubt we will see Orchid tomorrow. They will release a trailer before they start streaming her. I bet it will probably be at the end of October.

hwalker84

They need to tease the 1st post launch character, discussion/excitement has slowed over last few weeks :\

More like our patience has lessened due to how amazing the game continues to look! I was ready to see Orchid in motion the minute we saw her.

derFeef

What do you think, will Orchid introduce another archetype of some kind? The AR's give me ranged vibes but then it does not really fit her.

.la1n

They need to tease the 1st post launch character, discussion/excitement has slowed over last few weeks :

I think we may see other updates now besides just characters to keep hype until release. They have the streaming every week, showed us the ultra cancels. We will probably get a slow stream of costumes (accessories) reveals and maybe classic costume reveals. As for this week's stream I don't think we will see Orchid but maybe we will get to see jago's new fireball game, that would be pretty great.

Sydle

Really excited to see the original skins updated.

Here's an in-depth article on Killer Instinct's history. Delves into its origins, differences in the arcade and console versions, the cancelled KI 3 and more...

http://www.killerinstinctcentral.com/exclusive-the-history-of-killer-instinct/

Great read! I'm so glad they didn't stick with those original names, or that awful Roxy Rave design for what's now Orchid.

I think it's great that Ken Lobb is leading development. I'd love to see him farm out Perfect Dark and Jet Force Gemini to other devs and lead those as well.

What do you think, will Orchid introduce another archetype of some kind? The AR's give me ranged vibes but then it does not really fit her.

I believe DH said the first 6 characters would represent different archetypes. It would be odd to leave her as a rushdown.

DH suggested one of the female characters would be very different from her "cheerleading days," so I wouldn't be surprised if she's much different.

LTWheels

I think Orchid will either be a stance character or a persona-like character with her tiger.

Fits a different archetype.

DrDogg

I'm hoping to see Orchid next week at NY comic con. They seem to wait for these conventions.

I believe Rich mentioned at some point that DH had no plans to show off anything new at NYCC. That was a few weeks ago before TFC, so things may have changed, but I wouldn't expect much.

Jarlaxle

I believe Rich mentioned at some point that DH had no plans to show off anything new at NYCC. That was a few weeks ago before TFC, so things may have changed, but I wouldn't expect much.

That sucks. Oh well, I don't expect to be waiting too much longer for Orchid anyway. They still have to detail their accessories, the online play and modes and probably show at least one of the 2 later characters all in less than two months.

Top Bottom