• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Fml I'm getting errors while trying to buy Shadow Jago. Was unable to grab it earlier cause I didn't get paid on time last pay period (they forgot to pay me)... Hopefully I can get it...

Fuck so mad all because someone didn't pay me on time

Edit: man I'm so salty right now. What a bad month.
That sucks my dude. I picked him up the first couple days. Was he taken down already?

Sydle

Fml I'm getting errors while trying to buy Shadow Jago. Was unable to grab it earlier cause I didn't get paid on time last pay period (they forgot to pay me)... Hopefully I can get it...

Fuck so mad all because someone didn't pay me on time

Edit: man I'm so salty right now. What a bad month.

I will be surprised if they don't have Shadow Jago available as an individual purchase eventually if they expect him to be tournament viable. I can't imagine they'd go through all the trouble of tweaking his move set and balancing him for competitive play for so few people.

bumpkin

I'm weak... Although "KI Gold" goes against everything I believe in as far as what I'll pay for in my games, I wanted Shago and figure the money's going to a good cause (tourney pots). You're welcome, competitors!

Hisako's retro looks pretty good. I like the hair quite a bit.

Wish they would talk more about leagues though. I think they've only mentioned them once as far as adjustments go. Would like to know what they're taking into account as far as feedback.

.la1n

Retro Hisako and retro Cinder both look good. I had a feeling they would do a pop version of Hisako, it was just too obvious of a choice, glad they did.

As great as retro Cinder looks I have to say I actually prefer his new updated look and that's saying a lot, mouth and all. It's still great to have that original look to play around with though.

Sounds like they aren't going to be doing much in the way of balance or updates after the story mode patch so hopefully nothing major pops up game breaking. Also hope they get the rest of the lighting and loading issues ironed out by then. It would be shame to finish the season with those issues still present.

We won't be seeing ARIA until Combo Breaker next weekend so I wonder how that will align with a trailer. Not much longer left in May.

I thought they fixed the stage texture problem with Season 1 stages? Fulgores stage is still missing some like the B 42 machine part (not sure on the letter number combo but the large metal box.)

I really love Retro Hisako, not much of a fan for the accessories though. I hope that the arm accessories on the fawn weren't changed, because I loved that. >.<

Also, Cinder looks weird. When I say this, it's because of the way his abs/chest look... Don't know the word I'm looking for, but yeah.

Still excited for ARIA!

hmm clearly Aria's music will be country based. Very cool.

Are we getting anything today?

You almost disappointed me there.

.la1n

The thing I am confused about is what is Hisako's retro supposed to be? She isn't human looking so It's not from before she was killed, is it like zombie Hisako or what?

Doukou

The thing I am confused about is what is Hisako's retro supposed to be? She isn't human looking so It's not from before she was killed, is it like zombie Hisako or what?

I don't think there is any story to it, Aganos Retro is really the only one that had any story.
Pretty sure the inspiration was a rocker undead girl. The makeup and the fishnet along with the ripped sleeves give me that impression. Kev went with a more literal approach to retro like they did with Sadira.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

The new chara retros were to mainly to be designs that felt fitting to original KI's time of creation, right? To me, her design feels like something you'd see in Vampire princess Miyu, 3x3 Eyes, or the more generic U.S.A ideal of a japanese person at the time: a samurai.

Fawn feels kida eastern fairytale to me, but the horns fit. I... don't entirely get metal, citation needed! Phantom of the Opera like... Kawaii Genki Hisako-chan just... had to be there. Makes me think of the AKB48 zombie shooting arcade game... Japan loves cute in all shapes and forms, even undead!

.la1n

It also probably made more sense given her move set and animations. It would have looked a little odd to have a completely Human Hisako dragging her feet around and stretching her jaws :)

2 of Hisako's Retros are based on popular music artists in Japan. Pop Idol Hisako is based on Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and Metal Idol Hisako is based on BabyMetal. PIHisako has Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's bow and hair with colorful stockings since KPP outfits are just weird and colorful while MIHisako has BabyMetal's Kitsune mask without ears and YuiMetal's hair.

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's always colorful weirdness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GivkxpAVVC4
TAsz7Wr.jpg
iwA08Bo.jpg

BabyMetal shows are always full of energy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTEYUFgLveY
cYNK8tN.jpg
D6m9EPr.jpg

Pretty neat. I wonder if ARIA will have any thing based on old or popular robots in any of her colors or costumes. Evangelion, Gundam, Transformers, etc maybe lol?

Doukou

Wow I would be surprised if you were wrong Remapped, those seem spot on.

As for Aria, I think a reference is likely, I'm expecting a transformer and wouldn't be surprised if some of her colors were a reference to one or a gundam

I definitely think ARIA will have some robot reference in her colors, I mean it would be weird if she didn't. A EVA-01 color on ARIA would be nice imo!

Also as a pixel artist and huge KI fan, I've been working on some KI sprites for the past few months whenever they reveal new characters. Haven't really done any pixel art in literally like 3-4 years so it's taking me awhile longer to finish any sprite nowadays. Sadly though, nothing finished yet, mostly just line art that needs coloring. I finished line art for the majority of the cast except Orchid, Aganos, Shago and soon to be ARIA whenever she's shown in game. Hopefully if I'm not too busy or lazy, I can put 1 up at a time......I'd really like to make a full S1 and S2 roster by the end of the year.

A few silhouettes - Jago, Thunder, Sabrewulf, Cinder(no flames yet), Spinal, Riptor
Xz3q9sw.png

Also an old Fulgore KI1 and Custom Fulgore sprite I done from 2008-2009 (pardon the non pixel glow on KI1 Fulgore....)
WuecKAF.png

Thanks guys, I'll definitely try and finish them whenever I can! I would put their line art up but I dislike putting unfinished work up.....though, I don't mind putting just one up haha. Here's an unfinished Sadira sprite. :)

MHU3Edy.png

Usually through coloring, I edit a few parts here and there so it's very plain as of now. Line art usually takes me an hour or two if I have enough good sources on the stance. I usually just find screenshots or screen cap YouTube videos but since XB1 has a screenshot feature now, I now use those.

Older Sadira render into sprite
2pbmDIH.png

Details in pixel art is really hard to do since it's such a small thing to work on and get right....usually you miss details if a character has too much things on their clothing. Well that's unless you do bigger sprites but I'm not really good at those. These newer KI sprites are actually bigger than what I usually do.

Any tips for playing as Thunder? I've considered him my main since I started playing a few months now, but I seem to have lost all effectiveness with my Shadow Call of the Earth. I don't know how, but I seem to whiff it at least once a match despite performing it while standing directly next to my opponent. I'll even wait until a solid recovery frame and it still whiffs.

I've run into a snag and thought someone here could help.

One of my X1 controllers has the funny right stick drift thing going (thx MS) and as much as I wanna take my bone over to my friends house so we can all play the right stick will periodically register as being moved and can mess up inputs and combos.

Under normal circumstances I'd just use the disable right analog stick option but for whatever reason it doesn't stay disabled for the second player.

You can switch up all the inputs and it saves just fine but when ever you set the right stick to disabled click save and leave the controller menu and go back it's turned back on again, it's driving me nuts.

So is this a glitch, is it caused by being in the preview program?, am I the only one?

Feel like I'd make more progress hitting my head against a wall I've been fiddling with this for so long.

Doukou

Any tips for playing as Thunder? I've considered him my main since I started playing a few months now, but I seem to have lost all effectiveness with my Shadow Call of the Earth. I don't know how, but I seem to whiff it at least once a match despite performing it while standing directly next to my opponent. I'll even wait until a solid recovery frame and it still whiffs.

Sorry I don't play Thunder, ki.infil.net is a good guide
It sounds like you lost the timing, so I would go to practice and see which moves work well into Shadow Cancel Call of Earth.
I've run into a snag and thought someone here could help.

One of my X1 controllers has the funny right stick drift thing going (thx MS) and as much as I wanna take my bone over to my friends house so we can all play the right stick will periodically register as being moved and can mess up inputs and combos.

Under normal circumstances I'd just use the disable right analog stick option but for whatever reason it doesn't stay disabled for the second player.

You can switch up all the inputs and it saves just fibut when ever you set the right stick to disabled click save and leave the controller menu and go back it's turned back on again, it's driving me nuts.

So is this a glitch, is it caused by being in the preview program?, am I the only one?

Feel like I'd make more progress hitting my head against a wall I've been fiddling with this for so long.

It sounds like a glitch, maybe since the disabled right stick is a rather new option.
I have the issue also, couldn't find a solution. I reported the bug to their bug reporting forum.

.la1n

Thought her stage was going to be more of a classic roof top where you could knock someone off, that looks enclosed from what we can see. Of course it isn't the whole stage so who knows.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Her stage reminds me of Fulgore's KI 2 stage, kinda? Maybe the rooftop kill is off a side, out a window? Geese Howard style! Hope to see some gameplay vids, or maybe max has something he'll upload later, hopefully. Like that b-roll Hisako footage.

.la1n

Just noticed in the top image there's a fulgore unit in the back.

It's always nice when our first look at a new character and stage are from camera phones.

Haha sweet, called it on the EVA-01 color! She looks kinda tall, around Fulgore's height maybe? I'm also glad the health bars don't get in the way like I thought it would, it looks like it's in layers. Isn't her trailer gonna drop today or am I mistaken? Their trailers usually come a week before launch.

Doukou

Haha sweet, called it on the EVA-01 color! She looks kinda tall, around Fulgore's height maybe? I'm also glad the health bars don't get in the way like I thought it would, it looks like it's in layers. Isn't her trailer gonna drop today or am I mistaken? Their trailers usually come a week before launch.

Doubt it, her stream will probably be Saturday 11:45 pm CST

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I'll be at Combo Breaker tomorrow, it's not far from where I live, can't wait to try out Aria.

Top Bottom