• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer is Dead Import Impressions

Sounds good to me except for screen tearing and camera issues. Now I'm torn. I'll definitely pick it up but now I'm reconsidering a day 1 purchase.
Was waiting for impressions to make my decision, need to think about it a bit more.

I think this explain the tearing and other issues. I'd be willing to bet the other poster also has the PS3 version.

Really?

Well, it's definitely more simple. You spam square for the basic combo and have to hit triangle for the guard break from time to time when fighting everything harder than the most basic enemies.
The fun part is timing your dodges so that you can enter a short katana frenzy mode (it had a name, which I already forgot) and the fact that your attacks get stronger/more crazy along with your combo counter, so it's important to not get hit when fighting larger groups of enemies.
There's also a one hit kill which can be used when you have enough blood.

You can purchase a few new attacks and upgrades to your sub weapons which include a gun, drill freezer and 2 more.

Thanks. That's very disappointing to hear. I guess I'll still pick it up, but it really seems I allowed myself to become overhyped for this when I really should have known better...

Ah well.

Dave1988

I think this explain the tearing and other issues. I'd be willing to bet the other poster also has the PS3 version.

From what I've read both the PS3 and X360 versions are plagued by screen tearing.

From what I've seen from the guy streaming the whole game, there really isn't much depth to the combat in KiD which, I guess, is to be expected from a Suda51 game. On the bright side, the game does seem to control better and be more responsive than, say, Lollipop Chainsaw.

I was thinking about getting KiD day 1 but I think I'll wait for it to significantly drop in price before picking it up.

Rulp

I played the 360 version for a few episodes. I liked it. Great unique style. But the game is very short and that really becomes apparent when you start.

rvy

Banned
From what I've read both the PS3 and X360 versions are plagued by screen tearing.

From what I've seen from the guy streaming the whole game, there really isn't much depth to the combat in KiD which, I guess, is to be expected from a Suda51 game. On the bright side, the game does seem to control better and be more responsive than, say, Lollipop Chainsaw.

I was thinking about getting KiD day 1 but I think I'll wait for it to significantly drop in price before picking it up.

Eh, fuck it. I don't care, I just want to play at this point. I need some Suda in my life.
Still getting the LE, still gonna love it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Games combat is decent, possibly one of the better titles under the Suda51 flag.

Though the pacing kinda sucks and how some stages seem to have wasted opportunities with tossing out a ton of enemies constantly to keep the action flowing is disappointing.

The dream sequence stage dear god worst ever. Let alone the boss fight.

Combat isnt all that deep really, since making the most of the fights will be countering / dodging. Which as Hasemo mentioned takes practice. Just button mashing is generally a good way to die in the game.

game length shouldn't affect game price. Do you want to pay for Dark Souls much more than it was priced because it's 100+ hours long?

Hes got a perfectly reasonable point. Which I do agree on for the most part and why I generally steer clear of titles like this often as the price of entry really isnt worth the amount of time you get back playing it. When it comes to spending hard earned cash, things like this matter.

Tizoc

Hes got a perfectly reasonable point. Which I do agree on for the most part and why I generally steer clear of titles like this often as the price of entry really isnt worth the amount of time you get back playing it. When it comes to spending hard earned cash, things like this matter.

Wasn't MG Rising rather short? (Mainly in terms of length of game in relation to buying price)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
game length shouldn't affect game price. Do you want to pay for Dark Souls much more than it was priced because it's 100+ hours long?
I loved Rising and Vanquish, which are really short games.
In case of KiD I felt like I've paid way too much for what I got. I'm judging it by that, not by some "short/2D games should be half price" rule.

No idea, didn't watch the credits.

Well, it's definitely more simple. You spam square for the basic combo and have to hit triangle for the guard break from time to time when fighting everything harder than the most basic enemies.
The fun part is timing your dodges so that you can enter a short katana frenzy mode (it had a name, which I already forgot) and the fact that your attacks get stronger/more crazy along with your combo counter, so it's important to not get hit when fighting larger groups of enemies.
There's also a one hit kill which can be used when you have enough blood.

You can purchase a few new attacks and upgrades to your sub weapons which include a gun, drill freezer and 2 more.

Isn't this a lot like No More Heroes? You press A for your main attack (though you can change stances from high to low), press B for your physical attack that is the only way to break guards that enemies occasionally will use. Sidestep at the right time and you darkstep where time slows down and you're able to slash a ton as seen below (it works better on Bosses with their greater health).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWqWjKt-oc4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This actually has me more excited as I loved the combat in No More Heroes. I already was getting this because of the limited edition at launch with all the bonuses.

chrono01

Wasn't MG Rising rather short? (Mainly in terms of length of game in relation to buying price)
When I finished Metal Gear Rising I instantly started again on a higher difficulty. When I factor in a game's "worth", I look at how often I am to replay it. Even a 3-5 hour game doesn't bother me if I can re-play it 2-3 times.

Of course, I've been known to purchase a 3-5 hour game that I've only played once, so I'm not sure how well my argument holds up. -_-

HORRORSHØW

Thanks for the impressions. Was on the fence about this game, but I'll pick it up when it's on sale now. Hate that it's more style over substance, but I guess that's typical of a Suda51 game.

Parakeetman

One positive is the loading times are not that bad. Unlike the piece of shit No More Heroes PS3 port.

Floex

Is there a Suda cycle starting to take place? Seems that way. Shame, admire his vision but his games just blow when it comes to gameplay. Quick question, does it have a darker tone akin to Killer 7?

Parakeetman

Is there a Suda cycle starting to take place? Seems that way. Shame, admire his vision but his games just blow when it comes to gameplay. Quick question, does it have a darker tone akin to Killer 7?

Killer 7 is in its own little league. This game at least isnt trying to be overly funny like what NMH was doing.

Parakeetman

- Mika. So loud and annoying.

Mika does not approve
Killer-is-Dead.01_010413.gif

Caved and ordered the Asian version, couldn't wait until the PAL release at the end of the month! Hope to have some impressions of my own soon.

Wow it looks really damn good from slasher's stream.

Man it's like crickets in here. So from the footage you saw me stream? Was this appealing to you? I'm loving the art style and look of it. I'll most likely stream some more tonight or tommorrow.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Out already? I swear it was just announced months ago.

So the guy isn't actually a gigolo?

I think "gigolo" is commonly used as a slang equivalent for "player" or "ladies man" in Japan. Really playful.

Gbraga

Man it's like crickets in here. So from the footage you saw me stream? Was this appealing to you? I'm loving the art style and look of it. I'll most likely stream some more tonight or tommorrow.

Yeah, the visuals are fantastic (but that we already knew), but what surprised me the most was that I was really interested in the combat and also the music seems pretty good, I wasn't expecting anything on that regard after some negative impressions.

The screen tearing might still be bad though, couldn't notice in your stream. And I only saw you playing a challenge, so I don't even know anything about the story.

I'll definitely still get it, even though I was afraid it was going to suck based on some mixed and negative impressions (usually people sugar coat early impressions, so I thought that "it's ok" actually meant "it's bad"). I really hope it comes out on PC soon, I don't want any more discs.

Yeah, the visuals are fantastic (but that we already knew), but what surprised me the most was that I was really interested in the combat and also the music seems pretty good, I wasn't expecting anything on that regard after some negative impressions.

The screen tearing might still be bad though, couldn't notice in your stream. And I only saw you playing a challenge, so I don't even know anything about the story.

I'll definitely still get it, even though I was afraid it was going to suck based on some mixed and negative impressions (usually people sugar coat early impressions, so I thought that "it's ok" actually meant "it's bad"). I really hope it comes out on PC soon, I don't want any more discs.

All the complaints I've heard really scared me off but after getting my hands on it. I'm really happy with it. Can't wait to play more. The screen tearing is there but it hasn't bee THAT bad. imo

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'll never understand who grades a game based on its length.
Someone who feels it should be longer in cases it feels half-assed.

Rising and Vanquish were constant top-notch action and I loved them despite being 5-6 hours long.

KiD has so many cutscenes and pacing problems that when it was over I only thought "what, already?"

It's not a short/2D game = terrible/should be half price way of thinking.

Randomizer

No point in buying this day one here in the UK. It will hit bargain bin prices in a matter of weeks just like SOTD and Lollipop. I would have liked to support it day one but there are just to many better games coming out and W101 will fill my quirky Japanese action game slot this month anyway.

Someone who feels it should be longer in cases it feels half-assed.

Rising and Vanquish were constant top-notch action and I loved them despite being 5-6 hours long.

KiD has so many cutscenes and pacing problems that when it was over I only thought "what, already?"

It's not a short/2D game = terrible/should be half price way of thinking.

While this is a very valid point, for me games like Vanquish and Rising that are only 5-6 hours long, are more about replayabilty and higher difficulty settings, which for me, cutscenes and pacing really don't affect those aspects whatsoever especially since they can be skipped.

CmdBash

Is anyone else finding the story fairly hard to follow, doesn't seem like there's any overarching plot and nothing is explained clearly.

Apoc87

Banned
Replayability besides trophies? Unlockable costumes, weapons? Secret missions ala dmc and bayonetta? Any type of boss rush/bloody palace mode?

Edit: and any way to skip cutscenes?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Replayability besides trophies? Unlockable costumes, weapons? Secret missions ala dmc and bayonetta? Any type of boss rush/bloody palace mode?

Costumes, secret challenge missions. I got 2 sub weapons from the gigolo mode, so there's that.
No bloody palace/boss rush as far as I know.
Yes, you can skip the cutscenes with Start.

RS4-

Costumes, secret challenge missions. I got 2 sub weapons from the gigolo mode, so there's that.
No bloody palace/boss rush as far as I know.
Yes, you can skip the cutscenes with Start.

Yeah I'm still not sure about any hidden stuff either.

re: sub weapons
I don't know if it's a specific order, but I did get the drill, then the charge weapon from doing the first gigolo mission successfully twice. The third (freeze) was doing the Koharu gigolo mission

re: gigolo missions, guts, health meter thing (the one on the right). Look away from the girls, I believe you look towards the right side if you want to refill the gauge; first girl is towards the drinks, second girl is towards the uhh...open area.

Top Bottom