• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer is Dead Import Impressions

cj_iwakura

Is there a Suda cycle starting to take place? Seems that way. Shame, admire his vision but his games just blow when it comes to gameplay. Quick question, does it have a darker tone akin to Killer 7?

If anything, the Suda Cycle is this:

Suda 51 game announced! - Suda 51 directing again! - Back to serious 'Kill The Past' tone!
-Game is actually campy and not serious - Suda isn't directing - game is lackluster, everyone blames Suda.

Gun Animal

Suda 51 game announced! - Suda 51 directing again! - Back to serious 'Kill The Past' tone!
-Game is actually campy and not serious - Suda isn't directing - game is lackluster, everyone blames Suda.

He directed Liberation Maiden and it's fucking amazing. Also, NMH2 wasn't directed by Suda, but it was still great, so was NMH1. I'd say more than anything that Grasshopper just needs to avoid HD consoles; I'm hoping with the 8th gen that Grasshopper becomes a mostly/entirely handheld/mobile developer where the stakes and expectations aren't as high.

Still looking forward to KiD, just tune back your expectations to the PS2 era and you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of it.

cj_iwakura

He directed Liberation Maiden and it's fucking amazing. Also, NMH2 wasn't directed by Suda, but it was still great, so was NMH1. I'd say more than anything that Grasshopper just needs to avoid HD consoles; I'm hoping with the 8th gen that Grasshopper becomes a mostly/entirely handheld/mobile developer where the stakes and expectations aren't as high.

Still looking forward to KiD, just tune back your expectations to the PS2 era and you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of it.

Don't get me wrong, I loved NMH2, and I enjoyed SotD. But none of them have lived up to NMH1 or Killer7.

And the early reveal of KiD looked dead serious, then they slowly unveiled the camp elements. I pray one day we get another The Silver Case out of that madman.

Banjoman

no, he didn't. he was creative director again.

Dascu

Outside of Gigolo Mode, I would say that Killer is Dead is easily the least campy/wacky game since Killer7 though.

Gun Animal

no, he didn't. he was creative director again.

Not according to Wikipedia, guess I should check the in-game credits again. What the hell is a "creative director" anyways? While we're at it, what's an executive director? Googling either terms didn't really help, since the loose definitions are all vague and interchangeable, amounting to 'person who is in charge of everything.'

Someone who feels it should be longer in cases it feels half-assed.

Rising and Vanquish were constant top-notch action and I loved them despite being 5-6 hours long.

KiD has so many cutscenes and pacing problems that when it was over I only thought "what, already?"

It's not a short/2D game = terrible/should be half price way of thinking.

Rising has a ton of cutscenes and codec conversations though, pretty much after every fight actually.
Was far from ideal for the game's pacing. At the end of the day it had less than 4 hours of actual gameplay which is short for a 60$ game no matter how you slice it. Having good core gameplay that encourages replays and building a game with acceptable length aren't mutually exclusive. With how much you pay for a game you have the right to demand both.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

almost comes off like he thinks so highly of himself and other's opinions of him that, when he sees its terrible because of him, he shoves it off and goes 'no no no that wasn't me' so people don't think he's the hack that he actually is.

At least Molyneux never denies what games are his.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
almost comes off like he thinks so highly of himself and other's opinions of him that, when he sees its terrible because of him, he shoves it off and goes 'no no no that wasn't me' so people don't think he's the hack that he actually is.

At least Molyneux never denies what games are his.

What does Molyneux have to do with any of this?

NMH 2 was directed by the co-director of both Killer 7 (the camera in those booth scenes, especially the walking, was straight out of Killer 7) and No More Heroes.

Oh wow I just found out that Akira Yamaoka is the composer of KiD.
This game or GTA V (Day1)? I'm still not sure. I love Suda-games and I love GTA. On the one hand KiD seems to be a short game and I won't have much time to play games in the next two months, but on the other hand....it's GTA V. I can't afford both games next month.

Apoc87

Banned
alright, last question.

How is the combat/battle system when compared against DMC3 and Bayonetta? I don't want to buy it, even at a discounted price, if the combat is not godly and makes me want to replay it over and over again.

squall23

There's no real combo system in the game. There are really only 4 things that make up the combat system: mashing square, using subweapons at the right time, guarding/parrying attacks, and dodging attacks. As you build up your number of hits, Mondo's sword combo becomes more and more flashier and damaging. There's no jump button however. Heck, some things from the trailers were cut out like how Mondo jumps on a giant monster and drills it's head. Never saw that in the actual game. Although I do love how rewarding the game is when you dodge or parry an attack.

SentryDown

Is there any replay value ? Collectibles, additionnal challenges, nice trophies or something ? I pre-ordered it but it seems a bit short

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Is jumping really that important to a combat system? I would have thought no combos was a bigger issue than no jumping.

Adds aerial combat which adds a bit more of variety also moves that can be linked from combos to aerial combos and maybe even add some platforming aspects to break the monotony of the combat system.

Floex

The latest release from cult developer Suda 51 has failed to make an impact on the Japanese market.

Videogamer reports that the PS3 version of Killer is Dead, the new game from Suda 51’s studio Grasshopper Manufacture, entered the Media Create charts at No.5 with sales of just 17,709 units.

By comparison, Grasshopper’s last game Lollipop Chainsaw – which itself was far from a critical or commercial success – sold 53,347 on PS3 in its first week.

The game stars a hitman called Mondo Zappa who owns a cybernetic arm that can change into a variety of weapons. It is thematically similar to other Grasshopper games such as No More Heroes and Killer 7.

Killer is Dead is due for a release in the UK on Xbox 360 and PS3 on August 30th courtesy of publisher Deep Silver. Xseed will publish the game in North America on August 27th

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/grasshopper-s-killer-is-dead-struggles-in-japan/0120010

MAJOR BOMBA

I've finished it twice in two days, took me like 16 hours? I love the game but it's just so short...

So 8 hours your first run? I still find this completely acceptable for the genre its in. I'm still working my way through the import but had other stuff pop up for review I have to focus on for now.

Gbraga

alright, last question.

How is the combat/battle system when compared against DMC3 and Bayonetta? I don't want to buy it, even at a discounted price, if the combat is not godly and makes me want to replay it over and over again.

It's a Grasshoper game, you should be comparing it to No More Heroes and Lollipop Chainsaw. You're expecting a way too much of it.

So two weeks left and still no review of the US or EU version??
Is there an embargo? :/
Eurogamer.de already reviewed the japanese version (Import)...hmm....

My Japanese PS3 copy arrived and thought I'd post some quick impressions after a couple of hours play.

Firstly, I'm coming at this as a huge fan of Suda's previous games so take that how you will. It's definitely a Suda game, but feels more akin (in terms of weirdness) to Killer 7 than anything else he's been involved with since then. It has a really unique visual style that really makes you question whether this is UE3 or not.

Gameplay wise it's all about basic combo's, with some nice execution finishers, blocking, dashing etc. Plenty of upgrades available ala Lollipop Chainsaw and Shadows of the Damned too.

Secondary weapons are a nice touch too, although haven't been using them too much as I'm still having fun experimenting with the hack and slashing.

The first couple of stages are slow, but the first lengthy one is a lot of fun and includes a nice boss battle. Plenty of fourth wall breaking as well. Played one Gigolo mission and it's a nice change of pace if the main gameplay is getting a bit tiring. They're optional, but well worth playing as they provide some nice unlocks.

So all in all I'm having a great time with this so far. If you're a Suda fan then you will adore it.

I'm tempted to get this and I can't really explain why lol. I find the game appealing for some reason.
I'm a sucker for artbooks and that full size artbook in the fan edition is tempting me but that is too much cash for a short (and by the looks of it average) game.
The game's price will drop like a rock but the fan edition probably wont be around by then.

GrayFoxPL

Op!

Are there any motion control nonsense?

Did they map anything important on L3?

Say "no" twice and the game is bought!

Please!

Dascu

Op!

Are there any motion control nonsense?

Did they map anything important on L3?

Say "no" twice and the game is bought!

Please!

Don't think so, you shouldn't have any pain or difficulties controlling it. And remember that it was also on the 360, so definitely no motion controls.

Top Bottom