• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer is Dead (Suda51/Grasshopper) announced for the PS3/360

Such a shame Suda isn't directing, but I think getting a game in the vein of Killer7 is actually better than getting a real sequel to Killer7. It's a perfect package as it is and doesn't need any expanding.
The concept and idea sound really interesting and I hope for some innovative art design. Finally a title worth following that wont be released anytime soon.

Edit: Ok, now that concept art looks great!

Yy8vU.gif

Dat concept art.

mattp

executive director? what the shit is that
god dammit

so basically, same amount of involvement as shadows of the damned?

Looks like it might not be another of their goofy games, but this art design might also end up kinda generic in the final game.
At least I'm prepared now, compared to SotD's ~2 year silence before the disappointing final reveal.

Suda might be the only developer that I will confirm a Day 1 purchase without even seeing a screenshot. I hope its fucking balls out weird like Killer7 complete with a Sentai boss battle and weird anime girls on roller skates.

I liked SoTD but it just wasn't weird enough for me. It could have been much crazier.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like that. I wonder if he's writing this one.

andriasaang says hes handling the scenario

but I believe he has filled the exact same role for both Shadows of the Damned and No More Heroes 2

so what that means for this game is up to you

executive director? what the shit is that

Another term for CEO

He's probably more creatively involved in the games than that title implies, but basically it just means he runs Grasshopper as far as I can see lol

Suda might be the only developer that I will confirm a Day 1 purchase without even seeing a screenshot. I hope its fucking balls out weird like Killer7 complete with a Sentai boss battle and weird anime girls on roller skates.

I liked SoTD but it just wasn't weird enough for me. It could have been much crazier.

At this point, I don't believe they'll ever top Killer7 anymore.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
No More Heroes one sold over 300,000 copies in NA on the Wii.

No More Heroes 2 bombed though.

NMH 1 sold near 450k WW.
NMH 2 sold like 140k WW.

I didn't think 2 was as good as 1, but it was still really good... and that's kind of sad.
It had mostly to do with the rising/waning of the Wii, in my opinion. NMH1 rode the wave of initial M-rated content on the system. By the time 2 came out, even though it wans't that long after... the system was just moving Just Dance type games, and the M-rated fanbase just gave up.

andriasaang says hes handling the scenario

but I believe he has filled the exact same role for both Shadows of the Damned and No More Heroes 2

so what that means for this game is up to you

Ok, thanks. So yeah, that's the same as with SotD and NMH2. Lame, but that doesn't mean, it has no potential. It coud still be an outstanding game.

cj_iwakura

Sad, but not surprising to hear. I went to GameStop at midnight when NMH2 launched to pick it up, and even the people at the register didn't know it was out. They were only open because of the ME2 midnight launch (I called ahead to make sure I could pick up NMH2), and one woman behind the counter and a few of the people in line for ME said that they liked NMH, but no one had a clue that the sequel was coming out.

Anways, I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic about this one. NMH2 was fun, but it didn't quite hold up to the original game's genius.

I was also there at midnight for NMH2. We're too crazy for this world.

Love that art.

Bebpo

Banned
Suda's name on a game he isn't directing?

I'm out.

Isn't that every Suda games these days?

I don't think he'll ever "direct" a game again. Just be producer/ED and oversee someone else making it. When you're making like 5-10 games at a time, it's probably impossible for him to do more than manage the projects.

Shame really. I miss games actually made by Suda himself. They were awesome even if super janky.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Shame it's literally Executive Director, I guess it's hard to go back once you move up there.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Isn't that every Suda games these days?

Haven't enjoyed a grasshopper game since killer7. Samurai Champloo was fun, and I haven't played Shadows of the Damned yet, but a proper Suda game would be much appreciated :(

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
that concept art looks better than anything i've seen of chainsaw lollipop.

NMH 1 sold near 450k WW.
NMH 2 sold like 140k WW.

I didn't think 2 was as good as 1, but it was still really good... and that's kind of sad.
It had mostly to do with the rising/waning of the Wii, in my opinion. NMH1 rode the wave of initial M-rated content on the system. By the time 2 came out, even though it wans't that long after... the system was just moving Just Dance type games, and the M-rated fanbase just gave up.

Both good sellers compared to shadows of the damned and I predict lolipop chainsaw then.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Classy suits, futuristic cities and talk of assassins makes me think of Killer7's ending.

Bebpo

Banned
Yep. See also: Dark Souls. And that has a Demon's character in it, just like NMH has a Killer7 one. (Subtle, though.)

Dark Souls is beyond what I would call a "spiritual successor" ;) I'm actually surprised they got away with a game that is practically 96% identical just by changing one word in the title.

Satoho

Banned
Yep. See also: Dark Souls. And that has a Demon's character in it, just like NMH has a Killer7 one. (Subtle, though.)

Please tell me, I don't remember this subtle connection, but I felt something sometime through it... who/what was it to you? Was it
the school??? Shinobu??

That's exactly what a spiritual successor is my friend.

Point Taken (I get obnoxious when I am in Killer7 mode >_< sorry)

Suda is the only game designer who has me addicted to every game he makes... and he works on something every year/June I get a game with his touch. HERO!!! Fumito Ueda too, in a subtle way.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
CheapyD is friends with a few people that work(ed) at Grasshopper and was talking about how he hears from them that Suda basically doesn't do shit. He spends most of his time at home playing video games for "research". Also he's a big jerk that gave his staff hotel soap as a Christmas gift.

Even if true, whoever IS making those games is doing a great job.
Hopefully the combination of sickness with this lifestyle and a sudden burst of creative inspiration will drive him back to directing sometime soon.

Aw, who am I kidding. :(

Top Bottom