• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

nib95 said:
One thing I dislike about the AI is how if you're spotted, all enemies know your exact location immediately as if they're all tuned in to the same eyes or something. I suppose that does make fire fights more intense and dangerous though.
Gah. I hate stuff like this. Rewarding, replayable combat requires at least some common sense AI.

How would you rate the replayability? Is it a linear directed "thrill ride" you play once and then ditch for multiplayer? Or is there any reason for multiple playthroughs besides trophies? To say, try to tackle an area in a completely different way? Collectibles? Unlockables? Anything?

teepo

nib95 said:
One thing I dislike about the AI is how if you're spotted, all enemies know your exact location immediately as if they're all tuned in to the same eyes or something. I suppose that does make fire fights more intense and dangerous though.

directional fire?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Something I wrote, hopefully it helps some people here.

GraveRobberX's Guide to being a Better Player/Teammate in KILLZONE 3 Multiplayer (Information gathered from Closed/Open BETA)

First and foremost, enjoy the amazing experience. The visuals are amazing for a console based shooter.

Lets get started.

The foundation of KillZone 3 is to use your class to it's fullest potential. All classes start out at on a level 1 basis, and you add points to unlock abilities to make yourself the ultimate powerhouse for said class. There are balancing issues that are created due to this, but over time you can balance it out by leveling up and gaining an equal foothold by either matching said abilities or try to counter with another class.

For some reason on killzone.com, under the "My KillZone" tab, each class requires 33 points to fully unlock the class. For the Beta you can max out a class 23-24 unlock points, so the 9-10 extra points must be for either weapons/abilities in the retail game or future use.

There are 5 classes in total.

Engineer

2ir6m2v.jpg

Capable of crafting turrets from virtually nothing, hacking into enemy turrets and repairing just about anything, Engineers are capable of jury-rigging a solution to any problem.

This class is your middle ground class. This class is the mid-fielder (soccer/futbol reference) or linebacker (American football reference) of your team. He controls the trenches and tries to hold the middle line for your team.

The turret acts as a buffer, either used as a decoy to gain the attention of the enemies fire, while you try to take out said enemies, or if your stuck in a position where fire is concentrated at you, it can be placed as a shield or if placed at the right spot can be your back up and help you out of a bind.

The main component as an Engineer is to help out the whole team is by fixing ammo crates. They serve as an essential part to prolonging your team having a better chance due to the resupplies. Extra grenades help flush out choke points, and fixing as many as possible for your team, helps them out in the long run. Don't try to get greedy and push to fix almost all crates, to rack up those 50 point bonuses, try to be suppressive fire/support class, kills will come to you, you don't need to go out to look for kills.

Unlock points to go for:

First try to fully unlock the Sentry Turret ability (secondary ability), Sentry Turret++. It really does help to have a turret shooting rockets, and the splash damage assists will come flying in.
Then go for the Repair Tool ability up to level 2, Repair Tool+. Repair Tool++ is if you are a running/gunning Engineer who wants to be more of a mobile class.
The starting weapon, the M224-1A LMG is very powerful. In ADS it can take out enemies close to halfway across from the map if shot in bursts.
Try to use 3 points in the secondary weapon category, and unlock and use the VC8 Shotgun Pistol. It can be beneficial in CQC (close quarter combat).

Marksman

2mx2ypk.jpg

From the shadows or at a distance, the Marksman prefers to kill undetected. When forced to deal with the enemy up close he uses stealth and detection counter-measures to hide his approach.

This is your last line of defense class. They try to deter the enemies approach from the most stream lined route to the objective at hand. They are the traffic cops of the map and try to create detours, and make the enemies really use their skills to overcome it. You can try to be a front line class, but a lot of skill is required to be a very useful Marksman going against the front line battles.

Unlock points to go for:

Cloak Suit++ is required from the get go. It helps out a lot. Put points into it first.
Scramble should be your second priority, try to get it to at least Scramble+.
VC32 Sniper Rifle is the gun for you. Try to get it as fast as possible after getting Cloak Suit++.
M66 Machine Pistol can be a game changer and can make this class go from the back of the pack to the front lines. Due to it being silenced and having the Cloak
Suit++ ability, this goes hand in hand, and if Scramble+ achieved, you have became the ultimate long/short range class in one.

Tactician

23l1636.jpg

The seasoned Tactician brings order from chaos, turning a hostile battlefield into a controlled war zone. He enables and facilitates; capturing Tactical Spawn Areas, spotting enemies, and supporting defense with Sentry Drones.

This is one of the most important classes in KillZone 3. This class orchestrates the flow, momentum of a battle. It creates many opportunities for teams to escape or capture objectives. This class is the 2nd most mobile in the game. Trying to take TSA's (Tactical Spawn Areas) or neutralizing them from the enemy can completely change the game with-in seconds.

The Spot & Mark ability helps by relaying information to the player on locations of said enemies. In War, information/location are vital parts to winning it. Primary job for Tactician is to grab as many TSA's ASAP (as soon as possible).

Unlock points to go for:

Tactics++ is mandatory. This ability is the game changer ability. This can be the key for your team from winning or losing.
Before going after the secondary ability Recon+ or Recon++, use the points to truly unlock the best weapon in the game M82 Assault Rifle. It is a beastly gun, with a powerful punch, and a good ADS scope.
Afterward add points into the secondary ability, and make your Tacticians Sentry Drone be the patrolmen of an area (mostly near the TSA's).

Infiltrator

2vt5b2f.jpg

The Infiltrator hides in plain sight, using deception to confuse the enemy while going swiftly about his tasks with unprecedented speed and stamina.

This is the most mobile class in the game. It's abilities make it a PITA (Pain in the Ass). This class was built for flanking and trying to remove the enemies middle ground and push it backwards. It caters to certain objectives and overall dominates them in it. The sneakiness and the 1-2 second hesitation by enemies give you ample opportunities to rack up kills.

Unlock points to go for:

Disguise++ is mandatory. The effect of melee kills keeping your disguise intact are too beneficial.
Survivalist+ should be the next step, for unlimited speed/stamina. Only push to Survivalist++ if you are concentrated on doing objectives and know how to flank.
The LS13 Shotgun is very powerful. Due to the abilities gained by the Infiltrator, these go hand in hand, due to confusion and hesitation by the enemy, and giving you the opportunity to strike.
The StA52SE Assault Rifle can be beneficial with the use of the dual primary ability. The LS13 for CQC (close quarter combat) and the StA52SE Assault Rifle for mid-range fire
The VC9 Missile Launcher is the equalizer on maps that have Exoskeletons (Mechs), so after getting those, this can finally complete the class and make you a formidable opponent.

Field Medic

2i24pyq.jpg

The Field Medic gives what the battlefield takes away. Life is his to give and take but the truly skilled Field Medic can bring soldiers back from the brink of death to be more effective than they ever were before.

This is the last class. This class in another middle ground class. It is another support class. It's main duty is to be the healer of the team. It's role is defined by what abilities it's unlocked and how it tries to survey the chaos created by both sides and overcomes those odds. It isn't a stationary class nor is it a mobile class. It truly is the middle ground class overall. It is the core of the team, it centers itself by keeping the team alive and moving the front lines forward.

Unlock points to go for:

Getting Triage++ should be the first step. A dead Medic doesn't help the team at all, but if given the option of full revive and respawning at same location, it can greatly help the team out by keep going up against the enemy and not falling back or losing the middle ground.
With the Medi-Droid as an assistant, it truly is the most supportive class out there.
The M82SE Assault Rifle should be your second thing to unlock, same as the Tactician's it truly tips the Medic into a front line class.
Revive+ or Revive++ should be gotten after getting the Assault Rifle

All Classes:

Grenades cater to 2 classes. Tacticians & Medics. For Tacticians to clear out a TSA and for the Medic to deter the enemies from advancing, and quickly reviving downed teammates (flush them out)

Proximity Mines are best for the other 3 classes. The Engineer/Infiltrator/Marksman can lay them down to cover it's backside and flanking positions. Not to close to give away the location where you are. For Infiltrator it can be used as a back up and placed behind and be used as a shield while at the enemies location, and not get back-stabbed.

Skills:

Armor: Medic or Marksman or Engineer
Silent Footsteps: Infiltrator or Tactician (if very mobile)
Extra Ammo: Tactician or Marksman
Extra Primary Weapon: Infiltrator

Thanks for reading. You can do whatever you feel comfortable with, but these are the things I have done/seen. Hopefully it helps out.

A.R.K

nib95 said:
On the AI. Playing it on normal whatever that was. And have died a surprising number of times. It's actually quite a bit harder than the same difficulty in the demo imo. And the AI is very impressive indeed. They seem to be aware of all their surroundings, and are very quick to change cover when necessary or stay behind cover too. They move around in orchestrated fashion so well you often get really scared as to how to progress. Because they never let you rest. If you stay pinned behind a spot, whilst one group keeps you pinned, the other will get around to flanking you and having you dancing around on your ass desperate for a breather. It's quite awesome really. The campaign is imo far superior to KZ2's. The pacing is pretty much perfect for me. Lots of slow moving take in the sights and build up steam moments. There are still the insane intense action pieces, but they are buried nicely within narrative and worldly exploration. Sort of like the second half of KZ2, only with more to see and observe. I generally dislike the Serious Sam style carnage of COD's single player, but here it's a more balanced affair.

Can you go on a melee kill spree like KZ2 with A.I basically just sitting there to take your knife? That's one of the thing that annoyed me in KZ2. The A.I should be more aggressive in close combat. It would be nice if the higgs tried to melee you back if you get too close or miss your melee attack.

Thrakier

A.R.K said:
Can you go on a melee kill spree like KZ2 with A.I basically just sitting there to take your knife? That's one of the thing that annoyed me in KZ2. The A.I should be more aggressive in close combat. It would be nice if the higgs tried to melee you back if you get too close or miss your melee attack.

They are alerady doing it in the demo. Running up close is no given kill. It wasn't in KZ2 either on an appropiate difficulty, though...

heringer

Move players, have you tried Gameloft's Modern Combat? Played the trial version today and wow, Move support is leaps and bounds better than what we find in Killzone 3 (well, the demo anyways). Kinda bummed that Guerrilla couldn't put more effort in this. C'mon guys, Gameloft did it.

I'm curious to try MAG now.

Sidzed2

TacticalFox88 said:
MW2 got a 10 in Graphics.

I'm not saying anything about the quality of IGN reviews (I think we all agree that they stopped trying many years ago), but you CANNOT compare individual scores handed down by different reviewers.

A number is just an 'indicator' of a person's subjective feeling about a particular matter / thing at the given time. If a person gives MW2 a '10' for its visuals, he is saying "in my opinion, these are superlative visuals, better than just about everything out there". In all honesty, giving a game a 9.5 for its visuals is indicating a similar feeling. Two people who feel the same way about a game might give it two different scores because they assign a different number to represent how they feel. The difference between a 9.5 and 10 is illusory. Get over it.

In my opinion, Killzone 3 is visually superior to Modern Warfare 2. Most people will agree. I'm sure if the person who reviewed MW2 reviewed Killzone 3, he would give it a 10 for its visuals.

Truth be told, though, everyone needs to GET OVER 'SCORES' AND NUMBERS. They are a crude and particularly unhelpful indicator. The substance of a review should be its text. Move on and stop being childish.

EDIT: If, however, the text of the Killzone 3 review alleged that it did not, in the reviewer's opinion, look as good as MW2, then I suppose one would have grounds to vehemently disagree!

Massa

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Dark days on this forum if 9.5 is not enough.

IGN scored MW2 higher than KZ2 for graphics and BC2 for sound (perfect 10 each). This forum will never let that go, perhaps not unjustifiably.

Carl

heringer said:
Move players, have you tried Gameloft's Modern Combat? Played the trial version today and wow, Move support is leaps and bounds better than what we find in Killzone 3 (well, the demo anyways). Kinda bummed that Guerrilla couldn't put more effort in this. C'mon guys, Gameloft did it.

I'm curious to try MAG now.

Killzone 3 is much better.

Also, you're surprised they didn't put much effort in? From this Ars article it looks like they spent a lot of time and effort on t http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/02/killzone-3-move-controls.ars

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Dark days on this forum if 9.5 is not enough.

Yes, please, PLEASE, let's not turn this thread into a typical whining console fanboy fest.

heringer

Carl said:
Killzone 3 is much better.

Also, you're surprised they didn't put much effort in? From this Ars article it looks like they spent a lot of time and effort on t http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/02/killzone-3-move-controls.ars
Killzone 3 is much better, no doubt. It's Move support? No, it's not. They didn't even bother with things like changing the angle of the weapon according to where your pointer is (which makes it look super awkward). Not to mention little things like not being able to change controls if you are playing with a DS3 instead of a Navi controller, or the fact that the turning speed is inexplicably doubled when you are using a jetpack. Also, the ADS settings are crap (like the huge bounding box) and you cannot change them whatsoever.

And I really don't know what to think of this Ars article. It's like the wiimote never existed. I mean, wow. Now Kotaku's Brian Crecente loves motion controlled FPS? Really?

Massa

heringer said:
Killzone 3 is much better, no doubt. It's Move support? No, it's not. They didn't even bother with things like changing the angle of the weapon according to where your pointer is (which makes it look super awkward). Not to mention little things like not being able to change controls if you are playing with a DS3 instead of a Navi controller, or the fact that the turning speed is inexplicably doubled when you are using a jetpack. Also, the ADS settings are crap (like the huge bounding box) and you cannot change them whatsoever.

The way the weapon works in KZ3 actually makes it easier to aim without even looking at the cursor. In fact, you can disable the cursor if you want.

The jetpack is broken in the demo, hopefully fixed in the final version.

And you can fix the ADS settings by disabling aim assist. It works perfectly then.

acevans2

Just got done playing the Playstation Home mingame to get my extra unlock points.

This game is going to be so friggin awesome.

heringer

Massa said:
The way the weapon works in KZ3 actually makes it easier to aim without even looking at the cursor. In fact, you can disable the cursor if you want.

The jetpack is broken in the demo, hopefully fixed in the final version.

And you can fix the ADS settings by disabling aim assist. It works perfectly then.
Exactly how not changing the angle of the weapon makes it easier to aim without the cursor? If you really want to play without a cursor just plug in your DS3 because the cursor is always on the center of the screen. Nevertheless, I really doubt anyone will be playing multiplayer matches without their cursor.

About ADS, I did disable the aim assist. There are still a lot of other options specific to ADS aiming, like changing the bounding box and the ADS turning speed. Trust me when I say that eventually you will wish you had the abillity to change that. If you have a chance, check out Black Ops Wii to see what I'm talking about (not trying to compare games here, just saying that there's a ton of very usefull options that I definitely miss here).

RotBot

acevans2 said:
Just got done playing the Playstation Home mingame to get my extra unlock points.

This game is going to be so friggin awesome.
Same here. They better stack with the Amazon unlock points or I'm going to be pissed.

RotBot said:
Same here. They better stack with the Amazon unlock points or I'm going to be pissed.

there is nothing saying that they won't so far. keeping my fingers crossed as well. 6 unlock points from the start is a nice way to jump into the game :).

nib95

Banned
So I just completed the game. What a ride, though I wish it was longer. Only because I loved what there was of it. Adding up all the 'fastest times' I did each level, comes up to just over 5 hours of play time. Though in reality it took me closer to around 9 hours. That's including the 100+ times I died throughout the game and some of the exploration/admiring. I'm content though, decent length, though an area/level more would have been the sweet spot.

The final level (or should I say very last segment) is a bit of a disappointment to an otherwise sublime build up. It's not that the final stage isn't a spectacle, it's just so confusing. You die consistently without really even knowing why. Very trial and error and hope for the best style gameplay. Though it is a sight to behold. Everything else though, brilliant with some very cool little mix ups that add to the fun and gameplay diversity.

Few cheesy overly dudebro bits here and there, but I honestly don't see what all the negative fuss was about the story, it was fairly decent (given the military context and characters), flowing well with the games events. It also ended (a bit abruptly) on a cool cliffhanger that definitely opens up options for later.

But yea, going to play through it again, but honestly, overall it exceeded expectations after some of the negative reviews. The pacing is head and shoulders better than the last game, and imo many of the popular shooters. There's lots of slower segments where the game gives you time to soak in the environments and take in the atmosphere. There's other parts where gun battles are controlled and intimate, then there's the all out bordering on insane moments which leave you breathless. But overall, the experience is more impactful. I also love the new stealthy areas, where at times, I really felt a sense of fear.

The game is a tad too linear (one or two of the on the rails segments are far too controlled), but the segments it does well, it does better than any fps before it imo. You will be constantly wow'd not just by the visuals, but the set pieces, unfolding events and grandiose of the entire experience. It's got that same KZ2 cut throat brutality and tactile, feedback emphasised gunplay, only this time with much more diversity in both level variety and gameplay. It also has a (imo) better and more important story along with a lot more production value than you've seen in pretty much any other shooter since, well....forever lol.

I won't pass a score or anything yet till I've played more, but I've definitely thoroughly enjoyed the game. It has got it's few flaws (mainly minor technical glitches, a weak script in parts and some uninspired gameplay decisions in one or two areas), but overall, it's a massive achievement that awed me till the very end (I played through it in near enough 2-3 sittings).

As long as you're not expecting anything too innovative and are ok with the standard of story telling we're used to in some of the other big blockbusters of late, I don't think you'll come away disappointed. I was a massive fan of Killzone 2 for it's gunplay, but disliked the pacing in the first half of the game and the lack of variety in the levels. KZ3 corrects all that and imo offers up an overall more entertaining single player package. So in the end, with this third installment, the franchise manages to re-confirm itself as one of my personal faves in the genre, but still not one without it's small share of faults.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Awesome write up, nib95. You and I seem to share a lot of similarities in what we liked in KZ2 and had similar expectations going into KZ3. I am pumped now.

nib95

Banned
Sure you'll love it if you loved KZ2 RoboPlato!

Just logged online and curiously saw that all my stats and unlocks from the public BETA are still registered even with the final retail code. Does anyone know if GG will be resetting everything, or will people keep the stuff unlocked from the Public online BETA?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
nib95 said:
Sure you'll love it if you loved KZ2 RoboPlato!

Just logged online and curiously saw that all my stats and unlocks from the public BETA are still registered even with the final retail code. Does anyone know if GG will be resetting everything, or will people keep the stuff unlocked from the Public online BETA?
I'm pretty sure they're going to do a server reset. The wait for this game is going to be rough. My hype didn't kick in too much until the last couple days but I may not have my PS3 back from Sony on time to play it launch day. It'll just be sitting on my table, taunting me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Johnny2Bags said:
6 hours of gameplay!?? No thank you..
Most people are clocking in around 8 hours which is a good deal longer than most recent FPS. Medal of Honor was 4 hours and most CoD games are 5.

commish

RoboPlato said:
Most people are clocking in around 8 hours which is a good deal longer than most recent FPS. Medal of Honor was 4 hours and most CoD games are 5.

Doesn't matter. KZ must double what other games have done.

Raoh

Does the Helghast edition pre ordered from Amazon not include the socom beta?

it wasnt listed and i didn't see the socom dogtag image..

its listed in the gamestop pre order though..

DoomGyver

Raoh said:
Does the Helghast edition pre ordered from Amazon not include the socom beta?

it wasnt listed and i didn't see the socom dogtag image..

its listed in the gamestop pre order though..
All copies come with the socom 4 beta (in the US), at least those in the first shipment.

Raoh

Full Recovery said:
All copies come with the socom 4 beta (in the US), at least those in the first shipment.

ok, was concerned cause the gamestop page actually lists the beta as well as shows the package with the image

the amazon listing doesnt mention it as a bonus or show the image...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Raoh said:
ok, was concerned cause the gamestop page actually lists the beta as well as shows the package with the image

the amazon listing doesnt mention it as a bonus or show the image...
I think Amazon doesn't have it listed because it's only a limited offer and this way they won't have to mess with the picture later on.

commish

KingOfKong said:
haha no doubt. i managed to complete it though but it wasn't a fun process.

Any idea how I assist other people? all I have left to do...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
you have to run around the square and collect ammo boxes, then deliver them back to where the game entrance is.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
commish said:
Any idea how I assist other people? all I have left to do...

Just run around the plaza area

After a certain amount of time crates will appear (randomly), with red smoke showing you it has appeared/where it is located, just run over it, and you will either grab health, weapon, ammo

A timer starts for 60 seconds, run back to the KillZone Shooter Plaza, play, new Icon/Lobby for assists show up, press X, ?????, Profit

Keep at it, it will take 10-15 minutes to assist people depending which waves they are in

alr1ghtstart said:
you have to run around the square and collect ammo boxes, then deliver them back to where the game entrance is.

Answer my PM bro ; ;

Top Bottom