• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

patsu

Acrylic7 said:
Gameplay is not fine. I feel very frustrated when I get killed, I feel as thought the other guy did not even try. Its just a "who sees whom first" type of game. Even when I get a kill it doesn't feel satisfying to me. I feel as though I cheated. Its like The other guy doesn't stand a chance If I see him first. I miss the actual work that you had to do in KZ2.

Ha ha, KZ3 is hardly a simple who see who first game. Marksman is invisible, Tactician has spot-n-mark, Infiltrator has perfect disguise. Medic and Engineer have robot helpers that auto fire. If you play it well, you should be able to execute a plan at the right time.

e.g. In Radec Academy, enemy soldiers hid to the left and right of a choke point. As an Engineer, I planted a turret inside the room from right outside the door while staying safe from their lines of sight. The moment the turret appeared it rocketed one of them. The remaining Tact fired a rocket to destroy my turret, but while he was waiting for me to enter the room, I already detoured to his behind and slit his throat. ^_^

Refining the maps is what got them in this predicament in the first place. Even the maps fro kz2 are trashed. How on Earth do you mess up the glory that was Market?

Some of the clutters are there to allow Infiltrator to run and avoid direct fire. The mechs are there to disperse entrenched enemies. Salamun Market and Radec Academy are my favourite KZ3 maps. Even KZ2 would benefit from map polishing.

no custom games is crazy decision imo.

Too dry without custom abilities? Half the problem are from the abilities, having an option to turn them off would make gameplay more fun in most cases.

Some may say its a good game, but it doesn't hold a candle to kz2. IMO

No open custom game is a pity but I wouldn't give up the advanced classes for it !
KZ2 is just a different game. I don't see it competing with KZ3.

Dibbz

mah00365pqcr.gif

Head shot with a grenade.

what?

Ravage

Dibbz said:
Thanks to GG I don't have to.

1.11 fixed the freezing issue and squad chat now works 100% so you don't have to mute everyone individually anymore. Just select squad only in the audio options and you will only be able to hear anyone in your squad.

Finally! It wasn't working for me before.

JB1981

Was thinking of getting the DLC bundle for $9.99. Question before I go ahead and make the purchase, are people playing these maps? Are the maps worth it? Are the games full (Warzone, Operations etc). How is Radec remake?

Also going back to this game after a long break and the controls really are shit. The gunplay is so slidey. Compared to the tightness of say, Crysis 2, the aiming in this game leaves a lot to be desired.

Massa

JB1981 said:
Was thinking of getting the DLC bundle for $9.99. Question before I go ahead and make the purchase, are people playing these maps? Are the maps worth it? Are the games full (Warzone, Operations etc). How is Radec remake?

Also going back to this game after a long break and the controls really are shit. The gunplay is so slidey. Compared to the tightness of say, Crysis 2, the aiming in this game leaves a lot to be desired.

I play everyday and exclusively on servers that have the new maps in rotation.

They're the best Warzone maps in the game (well, except for Bilgarsk. That's still my favorite). There are 4 Warzone maps in the bundle: Salamun, Radec, Stahl Arms, Lente.

Blablurn said:
when i use the move controller, do i also need the add on navigation thing or can i use my dual shock for movements?

You can use the DS, but the Navigation controller is much much better. I wouldn't even consider playing KZ3 without the Nav controller.

patsu

JB1981 said:

The new Radec is better than the old one IMHO. You mean the controls are slidey as in too sensitive ? Can try playing with Move. Some gamers seem to prefer it to the traditional controller. You can tweak a lot of parameters to your liking.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Finished SP campaign today. The only good thing about the ending is that it was a bit controversial and now I know that there will be KZ4.

But I wished they didn't show Helghan after what happened in the end. It would be a pretty strong anti-war commentary for a videogame.

So far KZ3 is what I wanted KZ2 to be as far as the story and gameplay goes. Of course I would prefer it to have a darker more Apocalypse Now-like tone but they did a very good job on this one.

Guerilla Games certainly grow with every game. They went from mediocre KZ1 to a very solid KZ3. It's the only game where every moment felt like it's a concept art. Gameplay is very tight and feels good. Bravo.

Shooting5280

Neo Member
Shooting5280 said:
This worked I was able to find many near full matches with it set to standard. So this just means that the matchmaking sucks. Is there a way to disable some or all the map packs I would like to have as much of the new stuff as possible but still need somewhat full games. I guess that this was less of an issue when everyone had the free month of steal rain with PSN+. This setup will discourage the purchase of the DLC are they planning of addressing it.
Again thanks for the help I had some great fun last night
Just as a follow up. After switching to standard game only and playing for a while I changed back to any and found lots of full servers. I am think there is a bug of some sort in the match making that is reset when you set it to standard and back to any.

JB1981

patsu said:
The new Radec is better than the old one IMHO. You mean the controls are slidey as in too sensitive ? Can try playing with Move. Some gamers seem to prefer it to the traditional controller. You can tweak a lot of parameters to your liking.

Yes they are just not fine tuned and each weapon feels like a loose mess. Aiming requires no skill, iron sights are virtually worthless with AR rifles because spamming from hip is so accurate. Why is new Radec better than old?

D-Pad

Something "clicked" the other day and now I'm pwning people in multiplayer. At the very least, my K:D ratios have been getting better. Finally.

GAF? I want to be in a clan too. :( Is this still active?
FTSGlogo.gif

Erm, and btw: As someone who has never played the past Killzones, and have enjoyed the more "run-and-gun" multiplayer games such as Halo as opposed to strategic ones, I find Killzone 3 a very satisfying experience. The chaos is great and each beep (the score sound effect) is immensely satisfying. However there are those frustrating moments, most of which take place when starting at the bottom of Akmir Snowdrift in G. Warfare (seriously, is it just me or is that stage poorly designed?).

patsu

JB1981 said:
Yes they are just not fine tuned and each weapon feels like a loose mess. Aiming requires no skill, iron sights are virtually worthless with AR rifles because spamming from hip is so accurate. Why is new Radec better than old?

I don't think so. With iron sight, you can counter a sniper in mid range. It's quite a bit difficult when firing from hip. The M82 would be a good example.

The 3-shot silenced weapons require more skills to use. You won't be able to spray, or run and gun with it. That's why I stick to the entry level SMG when playing Medic. I move too much.

New Radec is more fun, has more openings and routes.

EDIT: If you're looking for skills and precision control in gunplay, just use Move. ^_^
You should be able to toy with controls beyond what a traditional controller can offer.

patsu

D-Pad said:
Something "clicked" the other day and now I'm pwning people in multiplayer. At the very least, my K:D ratios have been getting better. Finally.

GAF? I want to be in a clan too. :( Is this still active?
FTSGlogo.gif

Erm, and btw: As someone who has never played the past Killzones, and have enjoyed the more "run-and-gun" multiplayer games such as Halo as opposed to strategic ones, I find Killzone 3 a very satisfying experience. The chaos is great and each beep (the score sound effect) is immensely satisfying. However there are those frustrating moments, most of which take place when starting at the bottom of Akmir Snowdrift in G. Warfare (seriously, is it just me or is that stage poorly designed?).

You need to send a join request from killzone.com.

Can't help you in G. warfare. I only play Warzone and occasionally Operations.

test_account

XP-39C²
Acrylic7 said:
Gameplay is not fine. I feel very frustrated when I get killed, I feel as thought the other guy did not even try. Its just a "who sees whom first" type of game. Even when I get a kill it doesn't feel satisfying to me. I feel as though I cheated. Its like The other guy doesn't stand a chance If I see him first. I miss the actual work that you had to do in KZ2.
Just out of curiousity, how is this different from any other FPS? To me, that is how it is in pretty much every FPS game, even in KZ2. If i see an enemy before he sees me, i get that kill, assuming that my aim is good of course :) If i keep missing because of bad aim, then the other guy has a chance, but then it is because of my playing skills, not because of the game itself.

If you manage to get a kill quickly if you see the enemy first, why does it feel like you cheated seeing that it goes for pretty much every FPS game? The key element to most FPS games is to know the map well enough and to predict where the enemy comes, so that you get to be able to take the first shot, and make sure that you see the enemy before he sees you. It is not like you fire one shot at the enemy and waiting for him to turn towards you first before trying to get the kill? :)

Maybe you could take a bit more damage in KZ2 compared to in KZ3 (been quite a while since i played KZ2, so i dont quite remember), but i didnt have any problems getting kills quickly in KZ2 at least. It depended a lot on the aiming skill here as well. If one had good aiming skills, they usually got the kill even if the enemy saw you like 0.5 sec earlier. Using the M82 rifle, shooting from the hip in smaller bursts , that is quite efficient in KZ2 :)

Dibbz said:
mah00365pqcr.gif

what?
Lol, nice :) The only thing i can imagine that happened is that the grenade exploded right next to the guy's head, triggering the head hitbox, so that it registered it as a headshot =)

D-Pad

patsu said:
You need to send a join request from killzone.com.

Can't help you in G. warfare. I only play Warzone and occasionally Operations.

That's okay. I just want to be part of a clan. The site is down at the moment for maintenance (of course, whenever I want to look something up) so it'll have to wait.

Edit- doh, you were probably referring to my comment about Akmir with your second statement. Yeah, in G. Warfare's Akmir Snowdrift stage, if your team starts below, you can basically count the game as a loss (depending on other variables, of course). From the top, a full team can cover all entrances, and have a nice view of the area below, and is quite literally like shooting fish in a barrel.

On the other hand, when below, you can't see anything above you on the upper levels, so you're forced to take a chance and run up the stairs (you'll get shot) or stay below and try to shoot up (you'll get shot). You could occasionally get a couple of kills by lobbing grenades up to the top but people learn fast, and it's hard to get a good angle.

This could have been fixed by giving those on the bottom an equally good view of the top sector or moving around the stair cases. The one on the east side of the map is terrible because you'll get shot from behind by a camper. The one towards the middle of the map is in clear open view of both the top and middle platform. As for the one the south and south-west sides of the map, good luck even reaching those. Huh huh huh.

patsu

Sounds like an unbalanced map. Is there a beacon in the lower base ? In any case, they should review the worse MP maps to rebalance them since people are more familiar with the game now.

MAG SVER map has similar problem. It was worse when the better base always belong to SVER. Now at least they assign it to factions randomly.

RFOM Chimera vs Human match is also weighted against the human. They address it by having alternate rounds before they tally the total score.

mr_chun

I don't know why, but I just couldn't get into KZ3's multiplayer once I got my hands on the actual game. I played the Closed and Open betas to death thanks to PS+, and then nothing. I guess I expected a lot more from the final version, but it was more or less the same. Writing a guide for the game kinda took me out of it, too, I think. Never again.

patsu

Ah, you haven't tried it with the new maps ? Are they still free for PS+ members ? The new maps add more variety to the gameplay.

mr_chun

I downloaded the new maps as they came, but I never bothered to boot it up. Perhaps now's the time. I don't have any online gaming to default to at the moment anyway, now that the Uncharted beta is over.

Dibbz

Had some really fun games yesterday with some of you guys. We should do it again more often.

I recorded some footage of Salamun Market. We got our asses handed to us but still we managed one win early on. Other team were really good, had lots of tacticians. Didn't help we were on an american server though. Lag was getting me killed a few times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=843C0fnyIZs&hd=1

I never really took the time to look at the marksmans cloak but it is so bad ass.

kz3-mmcloakyx30.gif

evilenger

Dibbz said:
Had some really fun games yesterday with some of you guys. We should do it again more often.

I recorded some footage of Salamun Market. We got our asses handed to us but still we managed one win early on. Other team were really good, had lots of tacticians. Didn't help we were on an american server though. Lag was getting me killed a few times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=843C0fnyIZs&hd=1

I never really took the time to look at the marksmans cloak but it is so bad ass.

Great gameplay. You using the sharpshooter or just the vanilla move? I just picked up the SS last week and now in "training mode" vs bots. Haven't quite got it down yet but it's a blast to play with it so far.

D-Pad

How do you accept members into a clan?

I set up a clan and someone sent a join request.

I accepted the request and now... nothing...

The other person is still not part of the clan, and can't figure out what to do next. I can't do anything else on my end either. So I did some major Googling and only came back with this result:

4. Respond to the clan invite:

After we've accepted your request, you'll have an invite waiting for you on your own Killzone.com profile. Just check your live feed! Accept that, and you're in the clan. Win!

If you cant find the invite, drop MusterBuster a PSN Message and he'll sort you out from in-game.

And that is all there is to it!

But we don't see a live feed anywhere! What's up with that? Did it get (re)moved or something?

CatPee

Ravage said:
i really should get one of those Move controllers :p

My Move + SS purchase was completely justified by KZ3. Using them basically killed my desire to play FPSs without it. Now if only I still had the game... :(

By the way, don't skip out on the Sharpshooter if you ever grab Move. It's a world of difference between having it and just using vanilla.

Thrakier

I heard there's a new GAF clan? Can I get an invite plz? Also KZ3 with move is amazing, so much fun. Although there are shortcomings, I can see me come back every now and then having fun.

Dibbz

Thanks for checking my vid out guys. I don't use the sharp shooter, looks like it would be a handfull to control :p

To accept clan requests they should pop up in the live feed on your profile page on killzone.com

I'm sure you can do it via KZ3 as well.

D-Pad

Dibbz said:
Thanks for checking my vid out guys. I don't use the sharp shooter, looks like it would be a handfull to control :p

To accept clan requests they should pop up in the live feed on your profile page on killzone.com

I'm sure you can do it via KZ3 as well.

Where is the live feed? Under My Killzone -> Overview? I'm not seeing it anywhere...

Bollocks

Wait, there's a GAF clan? Is it active?
I feel like after 80+ hours I can put my lone wolfing to rest.

On a side not I fucking hate Corinth Highway I don't know why people would actively vote for this disaster of a map, it's the worst map even more so because lately I always got stuck with incompetent teammates steamrolling my faction ._.

Dibbz

Oh it looks like the Live feed has been taken down. They have been doing maintenance on the site for a while now. Probably still working on it. On the site though if you are clan leader go to your clan page and you should see a recruitment section at the bottom left with outstanding applications. You can also add people that way. I'm sure you can also accept clan requests via KZ3.

Bollocks, Yes there is a KZ3 GAF clan although there is like only 4 of us that play it often. Search FTSG and send a request if you want and I'll accept you.

D-Pad

Dibbz said:
Oh it looks like the Live feed has been taken down. They have been doing maintenance on the site for a while now. Probably still working on it.

Like I said though I'm sure you can accept clan requests via KZ3.

Bollocks, Yes there is a KZ3 GAF clan although there is like only 4 of us that play it often. Search FTSG and send a request if you want and I'll accept you.

Ah, I see. Thanks much :)

Bollocks

Ok applied for FTSG, strange it didn't show up via search, had to search Dibbz to get to the clan.
This is the first time I've used the kz3 site, how do you get the kz2 veteran status?

tiddles

Dibbz said:
mah00365pqcr.gif

what?

The grenades themselves do a little bit of physics-based damage when they hit something, so I guess in theory if you threw a grenade at the head of someone with low health it might kill them and register a headshot.

Alternatively, it's a bug. :)

Dibbz

OK Bollocks, I've added you.

The grenade kill reminds me of Counter Strike Source. You could kill someone with a flashbang by throwing it at them if they had really low health.

Should be a feature on the back of the box. :p

Not to sure about how to get KZ2 veteran status. I think if you played it online you got it but not 100% sure.

patsu

Just checked my XMB inbox. Dibbz, MD128 (PSN Id) says he's a Gaffer and wants to join the clan. Told him to send a clan FTSG join request from killzone.com.

D-Pad

Are the people being adding actually in the clan now? Can't find a way to finalize the joins on Killzone 3 and the live feeds still haven't returned.

Edit - I'm patient, just wondering.

Dibbz

D-Pad said:
Are the guys you adding actually in the clan now? Can't find a way to finalize the joins on Killzone 3 and the live feeds still haven't returned.

Edit - I'm patient, just wondering.
I edited my post but you may have missed it above.

On the site though if you are clan leader go to your clan page and you should see a recruitment section at the bottom left with outstanding applications. You can also add people that way. I'm sure you can also accept clan requests via KZ3.

D-Pad

Dibbz said:
I edited my post but you may have missed it above.

On the site though if you are clan leader go to your clan page and you should see a recruitment section at the bottom left with outstanding applications. You can also add people that way. I'm sure you can also accept clan requests via KZ3.

Yeah I did that, but (apparently) there's one final step that the requester must perform after the clan leader accepts their request. That's the part I'm having trouble with.

Top Bottom