• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimberly and Juri confirmed for Street Fighter 6

STARSBarry

Gold Member
wrong game
GEp0pq8.jpg

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
IMO Capcom has crushed everything about the SF6 release (or media leading up to it at least) so far. Awesome debut at summer games fest, early roster leaks to gauge reaction, and their game play trailers have been on point.

Gameplay mechanics look fun, most pros (even those not on the payroll) have been very complementary of the games early feel as well.

Looking forward to it!

Kimberly gameplay looks good and mad annoying to play against at the same time.
That voice though is kinda grating on my ears. Like it doesn't really fit her and maybe too anime.

Or it could be I'm just old af and too many kiddie vocies get annoying after a time.

TagZ

Still don't like Lukes design, Kimberly looks cool and Juri looks good. I don't understand how the fuck someone like Ed makes a return and Balrog our boxer does not... The original rekka Fei Long might be missing for 2 entries now. No Gouken, I guess he's supposed to be dead in this time line. No Sagat or T-hawk. Im all for some new characters but the return of Ed leaves my scratching my head, does anyone actually like him?

gamer82

i'm not really into fighting games to technical but i may have to pick this up to mess around with it looks polished :)

Naked Lunch

Part of the main Capcom aesthetic has been bold colorful palettes in their games - and SF6 doesn't disappoint there.

I like the modern twist on an old favorite in Guy.
I always hated Juri since her SF4 inception - both her design and to play as and against her. Id rather have Crimson Viper.

Sean and Q simply must be in this game for me to take serious interest.

TagZ

i'm not really into fighting games to technical but i may have to pick this up to mess around with it looks polished :)
Lately there has been more FGs with a push for accessibility like DNF Duel which has been fun but the balance is off. I don't even look at frame data anymore unless I become heavily invested in a game. I'm really looking forward to SF6 especially since you can choose between which input type you want unlike DNF Duel, which kinda has both available at the same time which leads me to miss input, maybe my fault for sloppiness but unsure. I would like the option in DNF Duel as well.

The activation looks insane
3fv1OoZ.gif

She almost looks possessed. SFVI needs a priest 😂

But yeah, I am liking both of these reveals a lot. Kimberly looks pretty cool and a nice Guy/Ibuki-esque mixture play-wise. I've seen some rather...."weird"....mentions of her on some places treating her like some representative instead of just a cool individual character, but I generally like the design, especially the pants ;) . Apparently she's an 80s/90s music fan; I know if they have any real-world references they'll be to the usual major artists of the time but I can still hold out hope for some of the smaller artists. Maybe Kim's more into Vanity 6 & Leaders of the New School than Dr.Dre and Janet Jackson?

And I really like Juri in this game as well; interesting sort of shift back to her SFIV outfit default-wise. I didn't mind the leather bodysuit for V but maybe she wants something not restricting movement as much this time around. One of her taunts should definitely involve her just ignoring the fight and pulling out the phone to check her socials. Maybe an ending win animation where she takes an embarrassing video of the opponent and posts it on her Insta. But on a more serious note, it'd be neat if the game went into more of her backstory, I'm also curious what factor she'll play in VI's story WRT its villain.

Kimberly spray painting the hell out of Luke :messenger_beaming:

She just really likes-likes him, apparently 😯

Last edited:
The last few SF games had no personality - this looks amazing. Kimberly looks great.

Can't wait for it.
I honestly don't really understand this. The characters in SFV were very lively and fleshed out. Their animations were second to none, sound designs were unique, play styles varied, etc. What does SF6 have that SFV doesn't, as far as personality? It definitely looks different, but every mainline SF is pretty different from the previous one.

That was Maki, but she is white and blonde. They also had an Asian female teenager ninja, Ibuki. Kimberly is the black one. Seems she also will run a lot, so maybe put this to her from El Fuerte, who pretty likely won't come back. This time Mexican/latino card will be for another teenager girl, a teenage female version of T-Hawk.

They also had female teenager fighters like Sakura and Karin, but aren't ninja.
Kimberly's fighting style is Bushinryu, which is same as Guy and Maki. Ibuki is ninjustu.

Kim is definitely Bushinryu, but she does have a slower version of Ibuki's kunai style projectile.

She also says "Bushinryu, on the scene" in her intro, which "on the scene" is taken directly from Ibuki. Could just be a call back, or she studies under Guy, but knows Ibuki story wise.

Last edited:

Salz01

Kim is definitely Bushinryu, but she does have a slower version of Ibuki's kunai style projectile.

She also says "Bushinryu, on the scene" in her intro, which "on the scene" is taken directly from Ibuki. Could just be a call back, or she studies under Guy, but knows Ibuki story wise.
I personally like her. Any other fighting clips of Juri?

Last edited:
I personally like her. Any other fighting clips of Juri?
Here is one showing some of her hybrid stock system. I guess it's a little like G, where she has access to the moves, but they power up and gain properties with a stock. I'm assuming she loses the stock once it's used, unlike G.

Are they gonna be censored like Cammy ass?
I'd always thought Street Fighter was never designed for the characters to really exist in the world together from a visual standpoint, which is why the story mode in SFV looked so jarring in most cases. Costumes like Cammy's original default just looked flat out stupid when taken out of the context of the actually fighting portion. I'm thinking that's why some of the costumes such as hers, Ed's, etc are designed with actual clothes now, so they can look more cohesive in the story mode this time around. Something like Mortal Kombat, where the characters look like they belong in the same game and realm for the most part. It just works better if you are going to have a story mode where there needs to be context and they have to exist in the world, interacting with it, etc. Me personally, anything where I'm fighting player vs CPU is a complete waste, but I'm thinking that's what their goal was. The ass out costume is still in there for the regular mode, so it's all good 🍑

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I love the fact that they where changed to be transgender because the creators where afraid that a beat em up with you punching women would be banned, so they made them trans because beating up a trans man was OK.

However they where still changed to be male goons in the SNES port because they where still feminine models. Essentially they where made trans to deal with the whole beating up women issue and where replaced anyway. It stuck around though as an intresting bit of videogame history.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Yep, this reminded why I stopped giving a fuck about Street Fighter. It’s just looks so ridiculous and unrealistic now; Obnoxious effects on all the attacks, cutscenes and shit, man like wtf.. The music is wholly straight ass.

Yep and everyone look like they are on steroid juice.
Id much rather Alpha or 3rd strike art style to SF4,5 & 6

Last edited:
Juri looks good, I hate everything about Kimberly. Design, voice, and ripped move set from more well designed characters. A roller skating, spray painting, teen, ninja? Yea hard pass.

Juri looks really good, that's for sure. I've been growing on Kimberly the past few days; when the leaked concept art came out I actually quite dug it, but when they first showed her off she felt maybe almost too animated. Kinda feels like they took a lot of things street culture-wise and just thrusted them on her. Track running, graffiti, hip-hop/R&B head, '90s lover etc. all into one.

I think her design would feel a bit more grounded if they just focused on one or two of those things, preferably her running track & maybe liking the '90s audio stuff like Walkman. And cull back on the hyper-animated stuff for when she's actually fighting, let her be a bit more relaxed outside of that. She's flipping and jumping all over the place 24/7 🤣.

But design-wise I think Kimberly's pretty good. I'd probably make the collar of her jacket a solid color so it's less busy, that'd allow the cord for the earbuds to stand out more. And personally make her have less of a five-head, but that's a personal pet peeve. She's one of the stronger of the new designs tho; it's the Mexican and Italian ones that might need the most adjustments. The former is just a bit generic looking compared to the others, the latter...well I gotta see how that hair works. Maybe she's like a female Marduk, that would be kinda cool.

You're right about the moveset thing tho; a TON of her moves are basically Guy's moves. That one with the two bomb-like things she throws down are kinda cool, they remind me of Ibuki's bombs from SFV. I hope she has a few Specials that are both different from Guy's and incorporate her personality still (if she's still in-training then she shouldn't have perfect form for her attacks). Hope her Supers allow for some 3S-style comboability but I'm hoping that's the case with virtually every character in this game.

Yep and everyone look like they are on steroid juice.
Id much rather Alpha or 3rd strike art style to SF4,5 & 6

IMO SFV's art style was a lot of 3S's aesthetically speaking, I know it was inspired by SFIII's visual style a lot. The game looks great IMO, and its animations of best-of-class.

So far from what what's been shown I also prefer V to VI when it comes to speed; I'm not really a fan of these games being made slower and slower. Tho there are a couple of matches from some European Chun-Li player that makes her look slick and fast, so my impression on the speed might just be due to players completely new playing the game, or those who haven't had enough time to get used to its style.

SFVI is overall looking even better than SFV, too. I was worried the physiques (particularly the female physiques) would be too "soft" looking, like in games such as DOA or even Tekken, going with a somewhat more realistic style. The fact Chun-Li seems a bit less sculpted in terms of muscle definition vs. SFV didn't help (tho they definitely have made some big improvements with her model in subsequent showings). Thankfully seeing the Cammy leak and now Juri & Kimberly have dissuaded those concerns, and I hope the team takes some of that and applies it to Chun-Li's model soon enough.

SF Alpha and SFIII had some great visual styles, but they're also 2D and there are just inherent limitations with sprites. I wouldn't of liked a cel-shading style for SFV or SFVI, either; SF's aesthetic has never been full-on anime-esque, and anime aesthetic is what seems to work best with cel-shading techniques (either that or more cartoon-esque styles). Plus with them going 3D we get so many new outfit variations and it's opened the games up to the modding community too (on PC).

Overall it's a net benefit IMHO.

Kokoloko85

IMO SFV's art style was a lot of 3S's aesthetically speaking, I know it was inspired by SFIII's visual style a lot. The game looks great IMO, and its animations of best-of-class.

So far from what what's been shown I also prefer V to VI when it comes to speed; I'm not really a fan of these games being made slower and slower. Tho there are a couple of matches from some European Chun-Li player that makes her look slick and fast, so my impression on the speed might just be due to players completely new playing the game, or those who haven't had enough time to get used to its style.

SFVI is overall looking even better than SFV, too. I was worried the physiques (particularly the female physiques) would be too "soft" looking, like in games such as DOA or even Tekken, going with a somewhat more realistic style. The fact Chun-Li seems a bit less sculpted in terms of muscle definition vs. SFV didn't help (tho they definitely have made some big improvements with her model in subsequent showings). Thankfully seeing the Cammy leak and now Juri & Kimberly have dissuaded those concerns, and I hope the team takes some of that and applies it to Chun-Li's model soon enough.

SF Alpha and SFIII had some great visual styles, but they're also 2D and there are just inherent limitations with sprites. I wouldn't of liked a cel-shading style for SFV or SFVI, either; SF's aesthetic has never been full-on anime-esque, and anime aesthetic is what seems to work best with cel-shading techniques (either that or more cartoon-esque styles). Plus with them going 3D we get so many new outfit variations and it's opened the games up to the modding community too (on PC).

Overall it's a net benefit IMHO.

Totally agree with most of what your saying.
I totally get why they go 3D, I just love Alpha’s and 3’s art style. I wish we got a smaller SF title/ or multple Street Fighter titles. Like when we got multiple SF3, SF Alpha and all the VS games on top of the DarkStalker games all in like 1 generation lol.
Id prefer a couple or few costumes if it means 2D, instead of loads for 3D but I totally get it.

I wish they did some more and one of those was a new Street Fighter Alpha game with the old art style :)

Last edited:

Calverz

The art design in this so far has not impressed me. It feels very gen z? I don’t know. Just looks off.

it must be late Iv because there was no such character at the peak of it. Maybe Ultimate SFIV?
No she's literally from the first update and a central/integral character to the entire story, she's a bison level antagonist in SF4 and turns anti-hero in SF5; if you played sf4 in 2009 and only in 2009 you wouldn't have known her, if you played it at any other time, and thus during "the peak of it", there's no way you wouldn't know who she is.

Kimberly is obviously just a new character, which happens in every game; y'all really just want SF2 rehashed forever.

Top Bottom