• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimbra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majmun

I listened to this album today and immediately liked it. Good stuff
D95Ht.gif

That's an epic track. God, I love Janelle so much. Can't wait for her next album this year.

Majmun

The album has grown on me so much. I totally love it.

No wonder people are mentioning Janelle in this thread...Kimbra kinda reminds me of her. Love the more experimental pop artists. Kimbra does that really well.

Stan mode: ON

iavi

Finished listening through Vows for the first time earlier; I enjoyed it - much less than I thought I would given her genres and the amount of times I played through "settle down." It felt directionless at moments, frequent moments.

SaintZ

I didn't know Kimbra had a thread.

I LOVE her. I actually discovered her thanks to Youtube in one of the recommended videos.

After watching Settle Down, I liked it well enough to get it from iTunes. Then watched Cameo Lover (which is probably my favorite song of hers) and fell in love. Two Way Street and Good Intent are pretty cool too and I'm so happy she's finding success thanks to Gotye's song.
nVidiot_Whore said:
I'd especially recommend checking out her "Live at Sing Sing Studio" recordings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i1mr9amqeg
These are great, it really demonstrates how talented she is. I love her voice.

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
We just moved to Seattle and my fiance's brother got us tickets to her show here in a few weeks as a moving present. I'm pretty pumped! Settle Down is such a great track. I'm curious to see how well she does live.

Kodeman

I'm not really big on pop, but was pleasantly surprised by this. Thanks OP.

She seems like she's having a good time in her videos.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
She had looked increasingly worse in every video since her stint on Somebody That I Used to Know. She looked beautiful there and now looks so strange...

DemiMatt

I saw her in 2012, after 4 songs I realized they were all the same and got bored. Hope her new album is super diverse!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Ooh I didn't know she had another album coming out. I ended up really enjoying the first.

royalan

BC, between this thread and your merciless dragging of The Leftovers, you're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters.

To put it blunty: Kimbra>>>>>Your Faves.

I was introduced to her, like most people, thanks to that song she did with whats-his-face that was number 1 for a while. And I didn't think much of her at the time (in fact, when I FIRST heard the song, I thought she was Katy Perry).

And then I remember several of my PopGAF sistren stanning HARD for her in PopGAF (Artemicia, RIP), and demanding that I listen to her album Vows (available now on iTunes). And I refused to for weeks, as I was well and TRULY over "Somebody I Used to Know" by this point. But one day I gave in...and I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least.

Kimbra is a Pop artist through and through (example: Cameo Lover -- which is so sugary sweet and infectious it's toothache inducing), but she's also surprisingly soulful. There are SEVERAL tracks on Vows that I would consider more R&B than Pop (Call Me, Something in the Way You Are), and she performs them with an artistic honesty that makes you feel like she's not just dipping her toes in urban sounds for cred. She's also an amazing vocalist and absurdly talented live performer. Vows is easily one of my most played albums of 2012.

I'm also in love with the songs she's released thus far from her upcoming album. A very different sound from Vows, a lot more urban (in fact, I wouldn't even call this a Pop album that she's putting out). A very moody and stripped-down R&B sound (which a NICE bass solo). Which is to be expected, as she's worked with Bilal for a lot of this album (one of my favorite R&B artists).

90's Music
Love in High Places
Nobody But You

tl;dr-- She's a Queen. Your faves could absolutely never.

ibb7RcTIgxfIm0.gif

K' Dash

I remember watching cameo lover with my ex and we both were discussing how she looks just like her, I sometimes posted pictures of her in my ex wall and people replied saying how beautiful she looked, lol.

After some time I reseached her music and fell in love with it, amazing singer, love her so much.

Davey Cakes

I can be picky when it comes to music (especially pop) but for some reason I really like Kimbra.

Vows is a good album.

Davey Cakes

tl;dr-- She's a Queen. Your faves could absolutely never.
Dude, STOP. Don't bring that stanning bullshit into the thread. Kimbra is above being a "fave" in that sense. She's just good. Give it a rest.

Just enjoy the music and keep that PopGAF garbage out of here.

Fun fact: When Somebody That I Used To Know topped the American charts, Kimbra became the first New Zealander to accomplish that feat since.....................

"How Bizarre" by OMC

This was recently accomplished a third time by Lorde with "Royals"

royalan

Dude, STOP. Don't bring that stanning bullshit into the thread. Kimbra is above being a "fave" in that sense. She's just good. Give it a rest.

Just enjoy the music and keep that PopGAF garbage out of here.

Ummm...your tone is really pointed right now.

If that is the only thing you noticed out of my GIGANTIC post praising Kimbra, then I feel sorry for you. It was more of a relevant contribution to the thread than your post. So, how about you stop?

Davey Cakes

Ummm...your tone is really pointed right now.

If that is the only thing you noticed out of my GIGANTIC post praising Kimbra, then I feel sorry for you. It was more of a relevant contribution to the thread than your post. So, how about you stop?
Your post was amazing until that point. You did yourself a disservice.

Sorry. Stanning is one of my least favorite things ever. It's right there with poison ivy, mosquitoes, gum on the bottom of your shoe, and black olives.

royalan

Your post was amazing until that point.

Then just ignore it.

I wrote a huge post (the largest post in the thread thus far) detailing my admiration for Kimbra and how I came to discover her, COMPLETE with links to my favorite tracks and links to her new music. But you let one tongue-in-cheek sentence at the very end, one freaking sentence, bother you so much that you felt the need to jump in the thread and contribute nothing more than an attack on another member.

I know it's cool to hate on PopGAF and all, but there should be a line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom