• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimbra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Banned
Just enjoy the music and keep that PopGAF garbage out of here.

iDHMGH7hKCvHS.gif

The best way to summon us is to try to shade us tbh.

Dude, STOP. Don't bring that stanning bullshit into the thread. Kimbra is above being a "fave" in that sense. She's just good. Give it a rest.

Don't be so rash, Rash. To you she might be just good, to someone else she might be their fave. It's all love.

iH9NoCT3ZIXqR.gif

Davey Cakes

For some reason I really like "Call Me." Has a nice energy to it.

"Cameo Lover" is a guilty pleasure track.

"Wandering Limbs" is great because of the use of two vocalists going back and forth.

I think I like Vows so much because it's just a well-rounded album and all the songs are fairly distinct from one another.

I'm definitely looking forward to The Golden Echo and I honestly don't care what sort of sound Kimbra is going for. If anything I want to be taken a little off guard and surprised. Love it when musical artists have the balls to challenge their listeners. That said, something that basically sounds like a sequel album would be totally acceptable.

Quick

Banned
I didn't find Vows to be a well-rounded album, but it was pretty good anyway. I say this because I had it on a few times, and most songs sort of just blended, and before I knew it, it was over.

I got hooked into listening to Vows by listening to Warrior, which sounds like a good hype song (catchy, upbeat, lots of energy).

Davey Cakes

See, I understand how an album can blend together. I hate when albums do that. I think Vows was paced out in a way where it didn't seem to blend much.

It's also not an album where I can say "first half is better than second half" or vice versa, because the halves aren't particular distinct even though I think the songs are. In that sense I can see the potential issue.

royalan

While I was making my first post in the thread, I checked Kimbra's Spotify page, and just realized that she uploaded a new song from The Golden Echo about two weeks ago.

Miracle.

I have been listening to it nonstop since I made that post. Just a perfect little Disco nugget. Actually kind of reminds me of MJ's "PYT" in the verses.

I have been in love with all the tracks from TGE. Might be my Album of the Year. All the tracks have their own personality, yet they fit together so seamlessly. I can't wait for this album.

Valhelm

contribute something
Glad to see that Gaf appreciates my favorite pop artist. Kimbra's Settle Down is one of the best songs of this decade, so far. Everything about it is top-knotch.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Kind of scared that I won't like the sophomore album. The first single sounded... Bizarre.

DrSlek

Good Intent is my #1 from Vows. So far I've only heard '90s Music from Golden Echo. Different but still has a Kimbra vibe to it. I like it.

ObbyDent

Banned
While I was making my first post in the thread, I checked Kimbra's Spotify page, and just realized that she uploaded a new song from The Golden Echo about two weeks ago.

Miracle.

I have been listening to it nonstop since I made that post. Just a perfect little Disco nugget. Actually kind of reminds me of MJ's "PYT" in the verses.

I have been in love with all the tracks from TGE. Might be my Album of the Year. All the tracks have their own personality, yet they fit together so seamlessly. I can't wait for this album.

Thank god this song exists. I was afraid I wasn't going to like her new album.

Ran rp

Vows is literally perfect, and I'm loving everything released from TGE so far. Based Kimbra.

I would die if Kimbra, Janelle Monáe, and St. Vincent did some sort of collab. Maybe not a whole album but a song or two.

Edit:

PSY・S;37415243 said:
I first heard her in Miami Horror's "I Look To You" I followed a few links then found Gotye's "Somebody That I Used To Know", then Kimbra's Vows album. This was about a month before the album dropped I believe. I've loved her since.

O hey. It me.

XAL

PSY・S;124182767 said:
Vows is literally perfect, and I'm loving everything released from TGE so far. Based Kimbra.

I would die if Kimbra, Janelle Monáe, and St. Vincent did some sort of collab. Maybe not a whole album but a song or two.

Kimbra and Janelle wouldn't be too much of a stretch, they're touring together atm.

I wish she would do a proper recording of this mashup:

Two Weeks (Grizzly Bear) + Head Over Heels (Tears for Fears)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HGm_jxOdts

XAL

Is that tour back on? Last I read it was cancelled or postponed because Janelle contracted some kind of illness.

Yeah you're right. Looks like Janelle has some Euro dates this month and Kimbra doing solo tour starting up in October.

Aw shit the San Francisco show sold out already fucktt

Brazil

I feel so sad for stans who listen to shit like Beyoncé and Rihanna and ignore the amazing light of Kimbra and Marina.

Nobody But You is fucking glorious.

I feel so sad for stans who listen to shit like Beyoncé and Rihanna and ignore the amazing light of Kimbra and Marina.

Nobody But You is fucking glorious.

Totally, man. Kimbra brings back that old sound I thought was gone forever - The kind of music I remember my late father playing for me on his record player that he passed down to me. I still listen to music on it to this day, despite everyone in my class laughing at me for it.

Hearing the classless talent-voids Beyoncé and Rhianna on the radio just makes me furious. Where has the love of good, real music gone? Were we born in the wrong generation?

The Golden Echo is now available for streaming on Australian iTunes. I'm not listening because I'm saving the fun for later :x

The four tracks that have been released are brilliant, I especially love that 90s Music feels like a mash-up of several different songs, I think I'm going to like it more than Vows, the production is a lot more interesting and the little interludes (such as at the end of Miracle) are wonderful.

Brazil

Totally, man. Kimbra brings back that old sound I thought was gone forever - The kind of music I remember my late father playing for me on his record player that he passed down to me. I still listen to music on it to this day, despite everyone in my class laughing at me for it.

Hearing the classless talent-voids Beyoncé and Rhianna on the radio just makes me furious. Where has the love of good, real music gone? Were we born in the wrong generation?

Preach, bro.

We weren't born in the wrong generation, though. Mainstream shit will always be shit, but as time goes by more and more people will listen to Kimbra and start to understand.

royalan

Madhouse sounds like something Prince would produce. So funky.

Teen Heat, too.

The Prince influence is strong on the album. Can't blame her, though.

I've been listening to this all day. More detailed thoughts to come, but I'll just say it now: the album is flawless.

Dicer

Banned
Never heard of her until this just popped up.

90's music is interesting, kinda disjointed but in a good way?

Listening to Miracle now, now this is a tight ass track, what else should I listen to?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Never heard of her until this just popped up.

90's music is interesting, kinda disjointed but in a good way?

Listening to Miracle now, now this is a tight ass track, what else should I listen to?

Her first album

rashbeep

Banned
Ran through the album finally. 90's music definitely sticks out from the rest, but I agree with the consensus here that it grows on you.

My favourites right now would be Everlovin Ya, Miracle, and Madhouse.

?oe?oe

I like 90s Music. At first I was indifferent to it, but I think it was because of the video clip.
Kimbra is a Goddess as usual.

Just a reminder that The Golden Echo is out now. Did a search for her name and didn't see a more recent relevant thread so I figured I'd bump this.

I'm listening to it on Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/album/66hoUkjxM7tVQwu7bZocwP

I think that link works? Never linked to a Spotify page thing before.

Really digging this first song.

Edit: Just realized Popgaf has their thread and have already talked about it a bit in there. Oh well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom