• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimbra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majmun

Hew knew 90s music would be one of the top tracks. This album is disappointing.

I agree. The album sounded good and interesting at first. I thought the tracks would eventually click, like they did with Twig's LP1. But Kimbra's album doesn't hold.
She tries too hard to be like Janelle Monae. But it doesn't work.

Davey Cakes

90s Music isn't even one of the top tracks.

After the first listen I can't believe how disappointing this album is.

It's overly noisy (overproduced?), really derivative of other pop music (purposefully so?) and just doesn't have any real standout tracks. How can something that's trying to sound so bombastic and energetic and detailed be so boring?

It almost makes me want to reconsider my love for Vows but no, that album is still alright and one of my favorite pop albums (of today, at least). It felt way more unique at least.

Am I jumping the gun?

It's definitely a full step down from Vows. No question. Still a handful of great songs, though. Carolina is probably my favorite.

It almost makes me want to reconsider my love for Vows but no, that album is still alright and one of my favorite pop albums (of today, at least). It felt way more unique at least.

Uhh, why?

Davey Cakes

Uhh, why?
Because now I'm forced to question Kimbra's talent and if her music was ever good in the first place. The step down is THAT jarring to me.

But don't worry. I'm not that unreasonable. Vows is still excellent in my mind. That said, she really could have used cleaner production on this new one.

royalan

90s Music isn't even one of the top tracks.

After the first listen I can't believe how disappointing this album is.

It's overly noisy (overproduced?), really derivative of other pop music (purposefully so?) and just doesn't have any real standout tracks. How can something that's trying to sound so bombastic and energetic and detailed be so boring?

Am I jumping the gun?

But The Golden Echo isn't a pop album. I think that might be something that's throwing people off. Compared to Vows, there's very little "Pop" here. The Golden Echo is a mellow R&B/Funk album at its core. I love The Golden Echo, still on heavy repeat for me -- but I also tend to love R&B and Funk (my favorite tracks are Teen Heat, Love in High Places, Rescue Him, and Everlovin Ya for this reason), so TGE works more as a pleasant surprise for me, and less like a disappointment.

If you go into TGE expecting a natural progression from Vows, you are going to be disappointed, because this is a complete 180 from that album. Carolina is really the only song on the album that's reminiscent of Vows, so I'm not surprised that's the favorite for a lot of people.

Cross posting from the FlyLo album thread

Went to a Kimbra show called 'Space Jam' where she brings on random musical guests and jams with them for two hours. Thundercat was one of the guest musicians tonight. They absolutely destroyed. Knocked my mind out of its place.

Made a fan out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom