• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: "NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS."

PtM

Banned
I believe this site is accurate with their sales numbers?
Could also be another reason why it's blocked.

Can you give me another site with salesnumber?
(I guess it would be the same)
It is the sole reason why it's blocked. There is no other site. Those two topics are correlated.

Also, this thread is ripe for the taking.

I believe this site is accurate with their sales numbers?
Could also be another reason why it's blocked.

Can you give me another site with salesnumber?
(I guess it would be the same)
It's more or less made up / sometimes good, sometimes bad guesses.

Market research companies that really track the gaming market (GfK, NPD, Famitsu, etc.) don't do this for free, you have to pay a lot of money to get that data, that's why there are basically no "official numbers" out there for free.

JimiNutz

Banned
My ideal "new way to play games" is a Netflix-like subscription. Buy the console and pay $12 a month for unlimited access to new and old games.

I'm not interested in another gimmicky controller.

I like this idea. A Nintendo subscription service giving access to their catalogue of games that can be played over multiple devices (handheld, console, smartphone) with cross play and cross saves.
Could also open up third party manufacturers to make more powerful hardware.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I like this idea. A Nintendo subscription service giving access to their catalogue of games that can be played over multiple devices (handheld, console, smartphone) with cross play and cross saves.
Could also open up third party manufacturers to make more powerful hardware.

That's something I've never contemplated.

maxcriden

Be careful! You could break GAF and the Internet with so much common sense and logic, you know... :p

Also, I find interesting how Kimishima didn't refute the interviewer with the "NX as a [stationary] console". When I read the question I thought Kimishima would use some vague definition of NX as a "platform" in order to not confirm this as a console or a handheld. Some people here still thinks this is a handheld or a family of different hardware starting with a handheld, so maybe this is a quasi-official-confirmation from the president himself that NX is a home console...

It's obviously confirmed that this will have some kind of gimmick that is not "service-based" like some are theorizing and that we'll definitely see new and innovative hardware (the controller, likely). It'll play "traditional" games too because Zelda will be there, but I hope this ends some wild dreams about a PS4 clone and "normal console" nonsense. This way, the meltdowns won't be that annoying when Nintendo reveals the thing.

I actually find more interesting this part:

The successor part is PR fluff, but this seems to point out that it's not purely a console. Or not just a console.

I don't know, they always talk lately about NX as one thing, device, package. I always thought that this is because they talk about the NX family. But I'm more and more drawn towards the idea that it's a "transformer" of some kind.

We've become a bit like the blind men and the elephant in here with trying to interpret Nintendo's statements. 😂 I think both of our conclusions from Kimi-san's statement are completely valid and reasonable, it's just kind of funny though that they're entirely opposite from one another. I suppose there's room for an intersection of the two concepts though, if perhaps the system is a home console with some transformer aspect to it.

AntMurda

We've become a bit like the blind men and the elephant in here with trying to interpret Nintendo's statements. 😂 I think both of our conclusions from Kimi-san's statement are completely valid and reasonable, it's just kind of funny though that they're entirely opposite from one another. I suppose there's room for an intersection of the two concepts though, if perhaps the system is a home console with some transformer aspect to it.

The most solid information that the NX has a console derivative are the patents that clearly illustrate a controller, a console, and an SCD.

Ansatz

The new way of playing line isn't necessarily related to control inputs. I highly doubt it is.

Wouldn't surprise me if they experiment with that. There was an Iwata quote I can't find that talks about how they need to question the longevity of the model of selling hardware for $300 and games for $60. Would appreciate if someone knows where to dig it up from N's IR site

I remember that quote and was looking for it myself some time ago. I don't think they'll do something drastic like that but I think it does hint Nintendo being more interested in the mobile gamer, considering this business model is still valid if you look at PS4. The f2p model has changed the perception of premium games to the point it's near impossible for stuff like Nintendogs to be anywhere near as successful as in the past at $40 because parents don't value the quality difference between Ndogs and a random free pet sim app.

That's why Nintendo focused entirely on core 1st party franchises this gen, the expanded audience is much less likely to spend money upfront these days so the priority of NX should be to lower the barrier of entry. It's like you make it free to enter an amusement park by getting rid of the entrance fee, but to compensate for that you increase the price for each individual ride and start charging for stuff like toilet visits which used to be free. This new model leads to more visitors coming to the park even if the average revenue per customer could be the same as before, so it's mostly a psychological barrier Nintendo needs to overcome.

You can see glimpses of Nintendo's new strategy in f2p games like Nintendo Badge Arcade and the MyNintendo service.

The Boiling frog phenomenon will be crucial for Nintendo next gen.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

But the thing is that he did refute it somehow. "I suppose it can be seen that way" means that in his mind he doesn't see it that way. But it's not that far away from a console, so it can be seen as one.

I think the main thing is we shouldn't view every glimmer of new info through the lens of 3 year old assumptions.

Yes, this is the place where I'm starting to go now. Maybe things changed meanwhile.
They have a very elaborate patent which is practically combining together different devices. So who knows?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
For fuck's sake I just want to know what the damn thing is. New way to play games? More wacky control schemes? Streaming/subscription service? What the fuck is it?!

After the power of the Cloud.... the power of the NX !
Time to bring back Power Glove too then.

NX has a Minority Report like interface confirmed ^^

TheJoRu

They haven't treated their new systems as iterations since the SNES.

No, they don't really use the word "iteration", though I doubt they'd shy away from using it for stuff like DSi or New 3DS. However, when specifying new systems that share the core concepts of the previous, they tend to use the word "successor", like they did in the announcement PRs for both Wii U and 3DS. Arguably both those systems are iterations of the ones before, but maybe they feel teating them that way undervalues the new features.

So when Kimishima says (and this is not directed at the quoted poster, it's just a general comment) that NX is not a successor to Wii U or 3DS he only means that it's not a continuation of either of those concepts. It does not mean that it is to become a third pillar and exist in tandem with the others (though it seems like it's going to with the 3DS for a little while), just that it's different.

Right, but then in what way does that describe what the console and/or handheld is? It doesn't.

Yeah no one knows what the console or handheld is. Or if there will be a traditional console or traditional handheld.

What we do know is that, as of 3 years ago, the plan was essentially to combine development environments of the console and handheld teams, and that, as of 2 years ago, Iwata said this doesn't mean integrating console and handheld devices into one product.

We also know that the NX will be able to play Zelda U, so I suppose it must be in SOME way a traditional console or handheld.

And finally we know that Wii U production is pretty much done, so this is clearly NOT a DS situation in which they want to "wait and see" if the new "third pillar" succeeds before axing their previous line. The NX must at the very least be a new instance or replacement in their line of dedicated gaming hardware, seeing as the Wii U won't exist in 2 years.

We can figure out a lot from what we do know and what we don't know, to be honest.

You can't keep saying the whole audience or any percentage of that said audience went mobile without presenting any information about that said audience.

True, but it is worth noting that Nintendo themselves are throwing their own hat into the smartphone market after previously holding their ground against the idea for making mobile games for the past few years. And this decision was made during a generation when the current 3DS family of handheld systems is roughly over one-third of the sales of the preceding DS family of handhelds in the previous generation. (To say nothing of the PS Vita being a huge sales crater in comparison to the PSP's sales, even given the Vita's own problems.) That in itself is kind of a pretty big hint towards the argument if you ask me.

ozfunghi

I actually find more interesting this part:

The successor part is PR fluff, but this seems to point out that it's not purely a console. Or not just a console.

I don't know, they always talk lately about NX as one thing, device, package. I always thought that this is because they talk about the NX family. But I'm more and more drawn towards the idea that it's a "transformer" of some kind.

It's what i've been entertaining for a while now. In fact, I've been thinking about this ever since Miyamoto said the Wii would be "the big gun" back in 2005 or so, and when Nintendo was in a similar position (failing console, successful handheld) for the same reasons as why I am now. Get your handheld dev support and sales on your home console.

But now, it became a lot more feasable due to their SCD patent, which plays right into that card.

maxmars

Let's crank wackyness up to eleven: if NX is an OS/SaaS/streaming wizardry of sorts and there is an handheld as powerful as the WiiU (more or less), we could even have Nintendo release NX as a software update for the WiiU.

maxcriden

The most solid information that the NX has a console derivative are the patents that clearly illustrate a controller, a console, and an SCD.

I absolutely agree. It's just really fascinating to me (I mean this sincerely) to see the interestingly different conclusions we're all drawing from these bits of info.

But the thing is that he did refute it somehow. "I suppose it can be seen that way" means that in his mind he doesn't see it that way. But it's not that far away from a console, so it can be seen as one.

Yes, this is the place where I'm starting to go now. Maybe things changed meanwhile.
They have a very elaborate patent which is practically combining together different devices. So who knows?

To your second point, I completely agree. I think it's entirely possible things have changed in the past three years and as Graphics Horse indicates viewing all info through a lens of 3 year old assumptions seems potentially erroneous.

To the first part, though. "I suppose it can be seen that way" is a statement with some ambiguity to it, especially when we bear in mind it wasn't originally said in the language we're reading it in. I think some are reading it with the emphasis on "can," as in "I suppose it *can* be seen that way," or a hint towards it being reasonably seen as a console. Others, like you and I, are putting the emphasis on "suppose," as in "I *suppose* it can be seen that way," or a hint towards it not necessarily being immediately discernible as a console. You know? So I think that kind of semiotic excess, especially across a translated statement, leaves things more open to interpretation. I read it the same way you did, but I don't think we can say for sure that it's definitively meant to be read that way. It's possible the translator used the word "suppose" and did or didn't mean for it to evoke the caginess we're reading into it. And then we don't know the tone of how it was said. So it's a bit up in the air, I think, which leads to our parsing (koopa) tea leaves a bit.

trikster40

Bad Grammar. Should be "The NX is the successor to neither the Wii U nor the 3DS."

Or, in other words: We still need to have a strong Christmas this year, so we are trying to make you believe that the Wii U and 3DS aren't being replaced next March.

I absolutely agree. It's just really fascinating to me (I mean this sincerely) to see the interestingly different conclusions we're all drawing from these bits of info.

I agree there, but it's very likely a case of some people (like you and I) following all these little bits of news for the past 3 years, each little piece building up on the last to give you a much more cohesive picture, and other people only seeing a few of these small tidbits, not really keeping up with the overall direction Nintendo seems to be going in.

Bad Grammar. Should be "The NX is the successor to neither the Wii U nor the 3DS."

Or, in other words: We still need to have a strong Christmas this year, so we are trying to make you believe that the Wii U and 3DS aren't being replaced next March.

This is a prime example of what I said above. Kimishima has already explicitly stated that Wii U production is pretty much at an end, forecasting 800k sold this year. The new 3DS seemingly injected a bit more of life into their handheld line, so they seem content to ride that out until the NX releases.

If I'm not mistaken, in the full article he does even say that Wii U and 3DS support will wind down after the NX releases, so clearly there's no doublespeak or deception going on here. You can trace back through Nintendo quotes over the past years and come to the conclusion that the NX represents (whether or not the NX itself is a single device or whole ecosystem) the future of ALL of Nintendo's dedicated gaming hardware.

It's not just a replacement of the Wii U or 3DS because it's a brand new way of introducing dedicated hardware. Not because there will indeed be successors to Wii U or 3DS separate from NX.

Malakai

True, but it is worth noting that Nintendo themselves are throwing their own hat into the smartphone market after previously holding their ground against the idea for making mobile games for the past few years. And this decision was made during a generation when the current 3DS family of handheld systems is roughly over one-third of the sales of the preceding DS family of handhelds in the previous generation. (To say nothing of the PS Vita being a huge sales crater in comparison to the PSP's sales, even given the Vita's own problems.) That in itself is kind of a pretty big hint towards the argument if you ask me.

The 3DS had plenty of issues as well. The quality of the launch titles (some of them were literally upscale versions of DS games); the increase in the base price of games; the initial price of the 3DS and premier versions of the console haven't officially (minus the replacement the 3DS XL to the New 3DS XL the base price was still the same at $199 in the United States) even had a price drop in years; the OG model horrible battery life; the lack of quality western third party games. The 3DS in it's entirety violates a lot of the principles which made Nintendo's handhelds successful in the first place. (Cheap, decent selection of games of various genres, price that tended downwards over time)

The poster that I initially, responding to, notoriously, is always saying that the majority Nintendo's audience a) causal and b) they went mobile. However, when looking at the demographics of mobile gamer, they are primary, Male and the age of 16-34.

Peltz

Sorry for the necro-bump, but a lot of people are discussing recent statements by Kimishima and Aonuma that Switch is not supposed to succeed the 3DS. But they said the same thing about the Wii U only 6 months before discontinuing it in North America.

I really think people should keep that in perspective. Re-reading this thread post Switch-reveal makes me believe that it's going to succeed both lines of systems.

Top Bottom