• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: "NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS."

Menitta

Rösti;203804484 said:
I know the wait for reveal of and new information on NX may be tough, but we aren't far from Nintendo's 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders scheduled to be held on June 29, 2016:

t1467162000z4.png

I am expecting at least some new information there. Best outcome would be for them to announce the date of NX reveal at this upcoming event.

Aw fuck...time for another disappointing morning...

Lots of impatient bitching in this thread. What really gets me is that people keep saying they are tired of the teasing, but it's not like Nintendo is putting out Directs and press releases with this information. They are answering questions, be it from interviewers or investors, and saying what they feel they can say other than "No comment". If you're going to be mad about it, then be mad at the interviewers and investors that keep asking the same damn questions even though they know Nintendo isn't going to give up that information until they are ready. If you didn't hang out on places like GAF you wouldn't even be aware of every article that is written and immediately posted about on here.

I'm not mad at the writers or investors, they are doing what they are supposed to do, just as Nintendo is supposed to vaguely answer questions about unreleased hardware that has had no public announcement. It's not like we haven't had some juicy leaks lately to satisfy your curiosity.
This is all 100% true.
Except maybe the leaks part, they do nothing for me because most are vague and most are likely wrong.
The rest is spot-on though, Nintendo isn't ready to unveil or talk about the NX, Kimishima is just being polite and answering questions about something he's not ready to discuss.

Russ T

Banned
Why does Nintendo insist on making a new way of playing? We want something new to play, not the same old crap with a new controller gimmick.

Don't presume to speak for me. You don't know what I want. You are a singular entity with an opinion. Please grow up.

Lots of impatient bitching in this thread. What really gets me is that people keep saying they are tired of the teasing, but it's not like Nintendo is putting out Directs and press releases with this information. They are answering questions, be it from interviewers or investors, and saying what they feel they can say other than "No comment". If you're going to be mad about it, then be mad at the interviewers and investors that keep asking the same damn questions even though they know Nintendo isn't going to give up that information until they are ready. If you didn't hang out on places like GAF you wouldn't even be aware of every article that is written and immediately posted about on here.

I'm not mad at the writers or investors, they are doing what they are supposed to do, just as Nintendo is supposed to vaguely answer questions about unreleased hardware that has had no public announcement. It's not like we haven't had some juicy leaks lately to satisfy your curiosity.

So much this.

TLZ

Banned
New way to play, like.... like transforming my living room into Zelda's open world.... Holograms!

I'm too limited and can't think of any other new ways of playing.

Anth0ny

hard to be patient if you're a nintendo fan with NOTHING TO PLAY between now and pokemon

and then pokemon to nx launch in march

That's a good point- NX could just be a single console or console and handheld in their new ecosystem codenamed "____".

But I think my initial point still stands- this isn't at all similar to the DS third pillar situation. Their new ecosystem is certainly their future platform for dedicated gaming devices, and NX is surely the first entry of that new ecosystem. Kimishima never even hinted that the Wii U or 3DS will be parts of their business long after the NX launches. Rather, we can simply expect support (for 3DS only, probably) to continue for a bit after the NX handheld component comes out, if only to finish up all the existing projects scheduled for the console.

Yes that's fair, I guess the way I see it is if they introduce a single system first, that doesn't fit a conventional handheld or home console mould, it would be fair to call it a third pillar, or third..something, idk what.
I don't want to say for sure NX isn't referring to the ecosystem as well, it could be both really, was just pedantically pointing out how little we all know.

amg986

Neo Member
This has been said a million times, even by Iwata before he passed. It is known.

I understood that reference. Game of Thrones. I have been joking with my girlfriend for a week with that expression: "it is known".

Anyways I do believe the NX is going to be both. Powered by AMD and NVIDIA. It is a dangerous product. If they execute it right they will back on the game.

It is a pleasure reading you guys.

usmanusb

What if nx scd can be attached to existing systems eg. 3ds or mobile phones .. And also another device as a standalone scd for a console..

usmanusb

Yes that's fair, I guess the way I see it is if they introduce a single system first, that doesn't fit a conventional handheld or home console mould, it would be fair to call it a third pillar, or third..something, idk what.
I don't want to say for sure NX isn't referring to the ecosystem as well, it could be both really, was just pedantically pointing out how little we all know.

We could consider another possibility, What if nx scd can be attached to existing systems eg. 3ds .. And also another device as a standalone scd for a console..

BowieZ

Banned
What if nx scd can be attached to existing systems eg. 3ds or mobile phones .. And also another device as a standalone scd for a console..
That might be a great feature or whatever, but how does that make it not a successor to either Wii U or 3DS? And how does that class as a "new way to play" when it's basically the same way to play, or at the very least, there will surely be the same old classic way to play as an option (i.e. console with a controller -- we know there are devkits and hardware power is currently being speculated).

It would be like Nintendo coming out pre-Wii U and saying "we are revolutionising the living room with our next hardware... it's not a successor to Wii" but they're simply referring to the TVii functionality crap that didn't even get off the ground.

I simply do not understand how anything they do will be a new way to play, unless it's some sort of mind-controlled dreamware called the Ninception.

I know what you want, I know what everyone wants. A successful Nintendo. Gimmicks aren't the answer.

Some people either don't understand Nintendo or just want Nintendo to change its DNA and conform to the rest of the industry. Nintendo is and has always been a cross between a toy company and a game company. The gimmicks you speak of have been a part of the equation since the very beginning: Game & Watch, ROB, the light gun, the power pad, the microphone in the Famicom's second controller, shoulder buttons, the analog stick, the rumble pack, the Gamecube's handle and special triggers, the wiimote, the WiiU gamepad, etc. Some of those things have been great innovations that others have adopted, others were failures and labelled gimmicks. It would be a pity to bar Nintendo from it's experimentation, and potentially miss out on the next innovation. Their next "gimmick" could once again influence the industry. Doubtful, but I'm glad they take chances and I want them to continue doing that.

Peterc

That's a good point- NX could just be a single console or console and handheld in their new ecosystem codenamed "____".

But I think my initial point still stands- this isn't at all similar to the DS third pillar situation. Their new ecosystem is certainly their future platform for dedicated gaming devices, and NX is surely the first entry of that new ecosystem. Kimishima never even hinted that the Wii U or 3DS will be parts of their business long after the NX launches. Rather, we can simply expect support (for 3DS only, probably) to continue for a bit after the NX handheld component comes out, if only to finish up all the existing projects scheduled for the console.

Reggie indicates that NX is a home console
We’ve also said publicly that we are already hard at work on our next home console and that’s another element we’ll be talking about much later.
http://nintendoeverything.com/reggie...-home-console/

IWATA: Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms.

What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine.

What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform. They will also work to avoid software lineup shortages or software development delays which tend to happen just after the launch of new hardware.

Couldn't we agree we will get a console and handheld separately?
But have the software/ui shared.

Also they have said it wouldn't be a wii/wiiu system.

Because the games/ui are shared on both platforms, wouldn't this even mean we don't get a special controller, because games have to be playable on both systems?

-Horizon-

hard to be patient if you're a nintendo fan with NOTHING TO PLAY between now and pokemon

I could list a bunch of other games coming out on 3ds but I'm sure you'll just hand wave them away saying they don't count because you personally don't like them.

Some people either don't understand Nintendo or just want Nintendo to change its DNA and conform to the rest of the industry. Nintendo is and has always been a cross between a toy company and a game company. The gimmicks you speak of have been a part of the equation since the very beginning: Game & Watch, ROB, the light gun, the power pad, the microphone in the Famicom's second controller, shoulder buttons, the analog stick, the rumble pack, the Gamecube's handle and special triggers, the wiimote, the WiiU gamepad, etc. Some of those things have been great innovations that others have adopted, others were failures and labelled gimmicks. It would be a pity to bar Nintendo from it's experimentation, and potentially miss out on the next innovation. Their next "gimmick" could once again influence the industry. Doubtful, but I'm glad they take chances and I want them to continue doing that.

On the console side they take risks but its more misses than hits. Virtual Boy was their first risk, and it was a failure. DS was a failure until Nintendogs released. Wii was a success. Wii U was a failure. 3DS was a moderate failure given they had to slash the price point by 40% less than a year after launch and it never sniffed DS sales.

We could consider another possibility, What if nx scd can be attached to existing systems eg. 3ds .. And also another device as a standalone scd for a console..

That's sounding suspiciously like mid 90s Sega.

I think tablet smartphone accessory is possible though, with under 25s reportedly using televisions much less than the rest of the population and prefering to watch video via other devices, why not make something for the 'television' of the the 21st century?

MazeHaze

Banned
The build up to the NX has already dragged on far too long. It's easily the thing I'm most excited to find out about, but when this thing is finally revealed if it isn't the coolest thing ever, I'm gonna be so disappointed.

A new way of playing videogames... I'm pretty sure this will be like the Nintendo On. Or something like that. They'll connect wires to our brains and this is how we play. With our minds.

On the console side they take risks but its more misses than hits. Virtual Boy was their first risk, and it was a failure. DS was a failure until Nintendogs released. Wii was a success. Wii U was a failure. 3DS was a moderate failure given they had to slash the price point by 40% less than a year after launch and it never sniffed DS sales.
They don't play it safe with hardware concepts though, it's nice to see a video game company experimenting.
Three conventional consoles isn't interesting.
Would they be fun??? Sure.
But I'm glad Nintendo has their own vision and an imagination.
I give them even more credit because they don't give up on their way of thinking even when it backfires.

Kid Ying

Well, its not like they are not releasing anything for the rest of the year, so if you don't have nothing to play, thats up to you.

Good point except oh wait gimmicks are how Nintendo has always succeeded.

Unless you think games are best playing using a joystick with one button??

That's a very loose definition of "gimmick."

But the broader issue is that, unlike in 2004 or 2006, almost literally everyone with any interest in playing video games, however simple or casual, has easy access to hardware capable of playing them. There is no competition-free blue ocean left, and thus it's very difficult to see how a dedicated gaming platform can disrupt a market increasingly accustomed to playing F2P games on hardware they already own and carry with them everywhere.

Osiris397

Banned
It kind of sounds like NX is a service and possibly a series of accessories for existing smartphones, consoles etc. If it's not a successor to WiiU or DS and they've already announced WiiU production will cease in 2018 it sounds like they may finally be getting out of the home console hardware business, which is both exciting and terrifying.

Peterc

I know what you want, I know what everyone wants. A successful Nintendo. Gimmicks aren't the answer.

the term gimmick refers to a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is generally thought to be of little relevance or use.

While wiimote, gamepad, shoulder buttons, 3d stick, rumble and more are a value to gaming, I would not call them gimmicks.

Maybe you could say that it sometimes is used in a gimmick way and is not always a value for that specific game. Please stop calling words that you don't understand.

Anth0ny

I could list a bunch of other games coming out on 3ds but I'm sure you'll just hand wave them away saying they don't count because you personally don't like them.

correct

but personally i'm fine playing melee and link to the past until they're ready to show the nx, honestly. i don't need a constant stream of new games to keep me entertained, I could just see how many other nintendo fans would be frustrated with the silent treatment from nintendo, and lack of big new releases.

You know, I always wondered what's up with Nintendo trying to give their older hardware value by saying that it's not just a successor to their old platform, always trying to be new and different. You guys can be traditional for a sec, I mean it's pretty hard to catch lighting in a bottle twice.

Neff

Honestly, I'm really tired of hearing this shit just reveal some info on the thing already. It is well past 'hype' building, now it's just annoying.

People built their own hype, and it was based on absolutely nothing but imagination.

Nintendo hasn't even started yet, but they will.

AdanVC

3DS is 5 years old. Wii U is 4 and is as relevant as a Tamagotchi at this point. How the hell is Nintendo going to continue supporting those two outdated devices beyond 2016? I'm actually still surprised Nintendo will try to carry them into another holiday season considering the insane amount of competition it will have from Sony and MS. Nobody is gonna purchase a Wii U console anymore the second the NX is available. Unless they sell it for $99 or release a Wii U Mini or something.

Couldn't we agree we will get a console and handheld separately?
But have the software/ui shared.

Also they have said it wouldn't be a wii/wiiu system.

Because the games/ui are shared on both platforms, wouldn't this even mean we don't get a special controller, because games have to be playable on both systems?

I agree that it will likely be a console and handheld sold separately, but we really don't know that at this point. The fact that we've gotten exactly zero credible rumors about the handheld makes me very curious about that aspect (the SemiAccurate article might have speculated that the Tegra chip was for a handheld because Tegra is associated with portable devices).

But either way, I think there will be a "special controller" and by that I mean I think there will be a new input method/gimmick/innovation whatever. It'll have to be something which is possible on both a handheld and a console. Some sort of eye/head tracking with a camera built into the controller or handheld seems kind of apt for that.

KingBroly

Banned
3DS is 5 years old. Wii U is 4 and is as relevant as a Tamagotchi at this point. How the hell is Nintendo going to continue supporting those two outdated devices beyond 2016? I'm actually still surprised Nintendo will try to carry them into another holiday season considering the insane amount of competition it will have from Sony and MS. Nobody is gonna purchase a Wii U console anymore the second the NX is available. Unless they sell it for $99 or release a Wii U Mini or something.

The only possibility to me is Nintendo dual releasing some games on Wii U and NX beyond Zelda.

Anth0ny

Copying the others and going with a generic console isn't the answer to anything other than "how do I bankrupt Nintendo?"

you don't honestly believe that

a $299 console that is traditional, as strong as ps4 and sold at a profit from launch would sell at least as well as the wii u, and make them a lot more money.

another gimmick console risks selling WORSE than wii u. the nintendo fanbase continues to dwindle. like the wii u, if the gimmick doesn't catch on, they have an underpowered, overpriced console that doesn't appeal to many. if it DOES catch on, you might have the next wii, but what are the odds of that happening again? I think very, very slim, if not outright impossible.

another first party nintendo box that has a gimmick controller, no third party support and is underpowered won't sell much more than the wii u. I'm convinced of that. a first party nintendo box just isn't an attractive thing in 2017. it needs MORE than just nintendo games.

Copying the others and going with a generic console isn't the answer to anything other than "how do I bankrupt Nintendo?"

Releasing a Wii U 2 would do a better job at that then a "me too" box.

I find it strange that people here are really advocating for another device that's different for the sake of being different. If Nintendo wants to differentiate itself, then they should do what they have always done, differentiate through software and not hardware. Ultimately, it's the games that have been proven to be the real innovation and not the hardware gimmicks.

The hardware gimmicks are starting to get in the way of making a good game.

Top Bottom