• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: "NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS."

Zalman

i wouldn't rule out the "wii" brand yet... for example it's clear they're not moving on from "mii" anytime soon with miimoto. it's still their most successful and recognizable brands despite the last console flopping (of which, i'd argue had little to do with the name)

i could see them going in another direction too though
Miis have transcended the Wii brand.

Kikorin

Miis will be still used, they are in Miitomo and in the new Nintendo Account. The "Wii" brand probably will be dropped, even if I think it can still be pretty powerful.

Peterc

3rd pillars are:

Virtual boy
DS
wii
nx

It doesn't mean it will be a 3rd device they will support (well maybe in the first year).
But it will be something new, if it doesn't work, they could go back to wiiu (not that they will have a choise this time).

Innovation isn't bad, everyone did love the ds. The wii if it wasn't underpowerd and their focus wasnt casual, it could be also be a great succes for core gamers. Same with wiiu.

They just didn't executed it well.

I'm not a fan of mii's. Hope they will update the characters

cireza

It is not a successor but it is already going to have the exact same game (Zelda U).

So it is going to necessarily "compete" with Wii U.

Announce games on Wii U already if NX is not going to replace it >_>

This just feels like doublespeak to me. They don't want current owners of the 3ds and Wii U to feel slighted and for people to stop purchasing those systems, so they're saying NX is not a direct successor to either one.

Peterc

I think if you want to have answer of what the nx will be, you have to dig into the old articles q&a from iwata.

Javier

u6moFkL.jpg

Jackano

He thinks it will have a larger impact than the Wii U?
Bruh...
Yeah the performance will be to actually do worse than the Wii U.

Also maybe in some extent, when he says "not replacing the Wii U and/or 3DS", it may be purely financial/PR/technical talk, and referring to the lack of backward compatibility.

Maybe the only concrete meaning of this is that because no BC, any of NX form factors will be vectors to sell Wii U/3DS software. So it technically doesn't "replace" them if you want to play current games.

Weebos

Banned
They said similar things about the DS.

I for one hope they don't really want them to combine the two, but I see why its probably a good idea from a software perspective.

Why does Nintendo insist on making a new way of playing? We want something new to play, not the same old crap with a new controller gimmick.

Peterc

Found this in an older q&a from 2015

When you were asked if you would lift the region locks at the Financial Results Briefing six months ago, you answered that you would take it into consideration. Please explain the current situation.

Iwata:

My understanding is that it is not realistic on the existing video game systems because unlocking them after they are already on the market poses a number of hurdles. On the other hand, regarding NX, we understand that many consumers hold such opinions and such suggestions exist in the market, and although we have nothing concrete at the moment, we are internally analyzing what hurdles exist to lifting region locks. That is the situation right now. We acknowledge your request, and I personally want to give it positive consideration.

I have confirmed that it will be "a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept," it should mean that we do not intend it to become a simple "replacement" for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U.

So maybe no region locks this time?

Why does Nintendo insist on making a new way of playing? We want something new to play, not the same old crap with a new controller gimmick.

You're on a roll lately.
A standard dual analog pad is the worst way to play the majority of the most popular genres (and is ironically best for 3D platformers). Hopefully someone at Nintendo has more imagination than you do.

Peterc

I suggest you better stay away from VR gaming.

Even wiimote is better for fps games and gamepad for rts games. Don't talk crap.

You just need to have an option to play also with a traditional controller, it shouldn't be forced or a weight on the price.

TunaLover

My hype is quicky decreasing towards NX, first keeping this thing in such a secrecy, then this "new way to play" screams Wii blue ocean stuff, then his comments about it not taking a loss by unit sold, then his remarks about NX not being so expensive to produce/price/whatever, everything falls into Wii strategy for me, also why he should be afraid of NX eating into 3DS territory when NX is your start product and you want it replace the old one as soon as possible. Meh.

This reads as "give me now", not anything about their insecurity with their product as that makes no sense.

How is waiting to show it going to make anything different regarding their "faith" in the hardware???

They're going to have a showing of it eventually.

And not buying the "hype fading away" bit, they're not reading our cries and even if they did, they have their own timetable, always have.

So if they aren't insecure about the NX or unsure about some function of its design or controller, why wouldn't they show it off at E3? I have to believe if Nintendo felt confident with where the console is at this point they wouldn't miss the biggest trade show of the year...

Completely bored of Nintendo constantly talking about the NX like it's some new mysterious gift to life when they aren't even confident enough to show it off.

I've lost interest and aside from Sun and Moon there's nothing to look forward to from them this year.

We're past the hype stage now, and whatever it is probably isn't going to live up to people's expectations.

We need to get this third pillar talk out of here. It's pretty clear that NX is going to be Nintendo's single ecosystem going forth, and that in itself will be a single pillar.

Other pillars will include their mobile games, theme park ventures, movies, tv shows, etc.

So NX is their future for dedicated gaming devices. It's not a device itself, and it by itself is not a successor to Wii U or 3DS, rather, it's a platform which will encompass multiple devices, possibly more than two.

So get outta here with that third pillar nonsense.

Edit:

Also Kimi never mentioned the phrase "third pillar." Nintendo has been shockingly clear and consistent on its messaging for NX (being an ecosystem/developing environment/platform) so I don't know where all this "doublespeak" is coming form.

TAS

The wait is getting to us all LoL. I really hope Nintendo has an ace up their sleeve with the NX tho. They need it.

Akhe

More and more we're talking about NX, more raises our expectations and the bigger it is, the harder we fall.

My fear.

NINTENDO!!!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I know the wait for reveal of and new information on NX may be tough, but we aren't far from Nintendo's 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders scheduled to be held on June 29, 2016:

t1467162000z4.png

I am expecting at least some new information there. Best outcome would be for them to announce the date of NX reveal at this upcoming event.

Anth0ny

Rösti;203804484 said:
I know the wait for reveal of and new information on NX may be tough, but we aren't far from Nintendo's 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders scheduled to be held on June 29, 2016:

t1467248400z4.png

I am expecting at least some new information there. Best outcome would be for them to announce the date of NX reveal at this upcoming event.

god damn that is a long wait

god damn it nintendo

you better give us the zelda goods at e3

yurinka

How about if NX is a successor to Ouya?

Powerful phone-like hardware but plugged to a tv and playing using a pad. Fully compatible with their phone games, would get ports from mobile gaming devs. At least they in this way they would get a big amount of 3rd party supporting them.

Luigiv

Rösti;203804484 said:

t1467248400z4.png

6U3lw2U.gif

hemo memo

Gold Member

Powerful phone-like hardware but plugged to a tv and playing using a pad. Fully compatible with their phone games, would get ports from mobile gaming devs. At least they in this way they would get a big amount of 3rd party supporting them.

Pokemon on console?! NX selling 100m confirmed.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah those 44 days are like 44 years when converted to Hype Time Calendar.
Sorry, I sat the countdown to the 29th of June, PT. It should be the 28th, so remove a day from the countdown. I updated it in the original post.

Peterc

IWATA: Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms.

What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine.

What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform. They will also work to avoid software lineup shortages or software development delays which tend to happen just after the launch of new hardware.

Not a hybrid, still many wants to believe. It will rather have shared games/UI I think.

Nx handheld will follow

TheJoRu

We need to get this third pillar talk out of here. It's pretty clear that NX is going to be Nintendo's single ecosystem going forth, and that in itself will be a single pillar.

Other pillars will include their mobile games, theme park ventures, movies, tv shows, etc.

So NX is their future for dedicated gaming devices. It's not a device itself, and it by itself is not a successor to Wii U or 3DS, rather, it's a platform which will encompass multiple devices, possibly more than two.

Agreed. People throwing "third pillar, hurr durr, heard it before" out like candy, completely ignoring what his point is. You can say what you want about the word "successor" (it's a translation, so it may not be 100% accurate to its Japanese meaning anyway), but he's clearly talking about the concept of NX and how it's not a clear continuation of the ideas of either Wii U or 3DS, it's something new. In that sense NX does not make the old systems obsolete in any direct sense or becomes a mere replacement, since they do different things. That does not mean they are not being replaced, they clearly are (Wii U before 3DS), but it's not because "a better version came out".

Neoxon

i wouldn't rule out the "wii" brand yet... for example it's clear they're not moving on from "mii" anytime soon with miimoto. it's still one of their most successful and recognizable brands despite the last console flopping (of which, i'd argue had little to do with the name)

i could see them going in another direction too though
The Miis have moved beyond the confines of the Wii brand, as Miitomo proved.

boyshine

Rösti;203804484 said:

I feel I've read this before. Are you copy/pasting this for every new event just for LOLs? :p

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I feel I've read this before. Are you copy/pasting this for every new event just for LOLs? :p
I was right about the FY 2015 News Conference/Financial Results Briefing bearing fruit, wasn't I? Not necessarily tasty fruit, but fruit nonetheless.

No, I am not copy/pasting for every event. I genuinely believe that Mr. Kimishima will share some information about NX during the upcoming shareholder meeting.

TheJoRu

Rösti;203804484 said:

t1467162000z4.png

I wouldn't count on anything substantial, but I imagine Kimishima would reiterate some of the points about what they will announce concerning NX this year and, without giving any specifics, saying something like "we'll have more to share very soon, so stay tuned". We'll then get a PR sometime in late August or something that announce actual details.

thefro

Rösti;203805960 said:
I was right about the FY 2015 News Conference/Financial Results Briefing bearing fruit, wasn't I? Not necessarily tasty fruit, but fruit nonetheless.

No, I am not copy/pasting for every event. I genuinely believe that Mr. Kimishima will share some information about NX during the upcoming shareholder meeting.

We'll get some information during E3. Media will ask Nintendo/third parties about NX there. Nintendo will talk to third parties about the NX and we might get the media leaking some information about the machine.

Edit:

Also Kimi never mentioned the phrase "third pillar." Nintendo has been shockingly clear and consistent on its messaging for NX (being an ecosystem/developing environment/platform) so I don't know where all this "doublespeak" is coming form.

Nintendo has never called it a development environmet or ecosystem afaik, you might be taking the pre NX announcement architecture talk and attributing it to NX. The way Kimi talks about NX makes it sound like a specific device or system, both words have been used before, singular, but to be fair it is not originally said in English. There is a subtle distinction of being the name of a multi system strategy and the name of the first salvo in a multi system strategy.

Nosgotham

with that mindset we would still be using an Atari pad with one button. Plus, nintendo is one of the few companies who dont make the same game. they change it up quite a bit within each franchise for the most part

Nintendo has never called it a development environmet or ecosystem afaik, you might be taking the pre NX announcement architecture talk and attributing it to NX. The way Kimi talks about NX makes it sound like a specific device or system, both words have been used before, singular, but to be fair it is not originally said in English. There is a subtle distinction of being the name of a multi system strategy and the name of the first salvo in a multi system strategy.

That's a good point- NX could just be a single console or console and handheld in their new ecosystem codenamed "____".

But I think my initial point still stands- this isn't at all similar to the DS third pillar situation. Their new ecosystem is certainly their future platform for dedicated gaming devices, and NX is surely the first entry of that new ecosystem. Kimishima never even hinted that the Wii U or 3DS will be parts of their business long after the NX launches. Rather, we can simply expect support (for 3DS only, probably) to continue for a bit after the NX handheld component comes out, if only to finish up all the existing projects scheduled for the console.

Lots of impatient bitching in this thread. What really gets me is that people keep saying they are tired of the teasing, but it's not like Nintendo is putting out Directs and press releases with this information. They are answering questions, be it from interviewers or investors, and saying what they feel they can say other than "No comment". If you're going to be mad about it, then be mad at the interviewers and investors that keep asking the same damn questions even though they know Nintendo isn't going to give up that information until they are ready. If you didn't hang out on places like GAF you wouldn't even be aware of every article that is written and immediately posted about on here.

I'm not mad at the writers or investors, they are doing what they are supposed to do, just as Nintendo is supposed to vaguely answer questions about unreleased hardware that has had no public announcement. It's not like we haven't had some juicy leaks lately to satisfy your curiosity.

Top Bottom