• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: "NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS."

Nintendo has been teasing the NX for far too long now. The expectations are too high because of it. And we all know Nintendo can even disappoint with low expectations...

#stopnxteasingandrevealthefuckingthingalready

The more they talk about what it is without telling us what it is, the more concern I am. I have the feeling that they don't trust the hardware or idea enough to tell us about it.

Just tell us what it is, stop it with the secrecy. 6 months more of this "it's going to be different" until you tell us anything?

As someone said, it's becoming tyring and the hype is fading away.

This reads as "give me now", not anything about their insecurity with their product as that makes no sense.

How is waiting to show it going to make anything different regarding their "faith" in the hardware???

They're going to have a showing of it eventually.

And not buying the "hype fading away" bit, they're not reading our cries and even if they did, they have their own timetable, always have.

It is a powerful smartphone with two screens, per my japanese uncle who does not show any shame whatsoever. Nothing to apologize for here, believe.

I don't think it's fair to always bring up the DS during the third pillar talk.

The DS was actually meant as third pillar, it's the market that decided to make it Nintendo's second pillar.

With that said, the NX is a successor to both, but not in one. Rather with two different devices.
[Pet Peeve time]No, it wasn't. There's no evidence there was ever another Game Boy in development (no prototypes or anything) or any successor to the GBA that wasn't the DS and all the Iwata Asks' about the various DS models also lean towards the idea of there never having been anything else in development but rather the idea of the original DS being rushed out the door due to Sony deciding to enter the ring with the PSP and thus how odd it looked and the DS Lite only coming out later. In addition, the DS did not initially take off at launch but did rather poorly while the GBA kept selling (the thing was a beast in terms of sales for its short life) and Nintendo had to market against the GBA to get things to start rolling for the DS until stuff like Wild World came out and the DS actually started exploding in terms of sales, which definitely aren't the actions of a company that was ever interested in keeping the Game Boy line up as a third pillar.

The third pillar stuff was always just marketing speak; nothing more, nothing less. They could barely support two platforms--there was no way they were ever going to support three at once with software, especially when they would have been competing against themselves with two of those platforms (the theoretical GBA-successor and the DS). There's absolutely nothing supporting the third pillar other than just marketing speak at the time with no substance that very quickly falls apart.[/Pet Peeve]

When they say that the NX isn't the successor to the 3DS or WiiU, surely they mean that in the sense of the DS > 3DS and Wii > WiiU?

They will probably claim that the NX will be a "new" platform and crap like that. Will probably even drop BC as well.

It's just your typical ambiguous rubbish to build some hype and speculation.

Damn, he said new way of playing games. So it does have a crazy control gimmick. :/

Before anyone says anything, I was expecting the focus of the gimmick to be more on the hardware setup than the controller this time. I guess I'm just a fool.
Jumping to conclusions much? Vita remote play is also a new way of playing games.

pixelation

I hope Nintendo does not keep on trying to recapture that once in a lifetime Wii kind of success... but something tells me that they'll keep on trying gimmick after gimmick until they eventually go out of business. I cannot say that i am excited to find out what their new gimmick is...

TheJoRu

I don't think most of you get what he's saying and has been saying all along. It's not a successor in that it cannot be viewed as a clear iteration of either Wii U or 3DS in the way you can clearly view Wii U as a true successor to the Wii and the 3DS as a true successor to DS.

It does not mean it won't replace Wii U and 3DS, but in theory you could imagine it as such, because it's so different from them and has a different concept and appeal. Thus, from a pure concept perspective, it does not make their existing products obsolete in the way they imagine the Wii U making the Wii obsolete. In practice it will of course replace them, and I don't think he has denied as such considering that he knows it will have a big effect on their console sales, but at the same time he wants to feed the perspective that it's not because of the NX's design that they will eventually be replaced, but because they will have played out their role on the market.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
" However, the NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. It's a new way of playing games "

If i read it correctly NX won't be a traditional console or handheld, now i'm worried, but i was expecting it since nintendo's new slogan is: "there's no play like it".

" However, the NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. It's a new way of playing games "

If i read it correctly NX won't be a traditional console or handheld, now i'm worried.

"...a new way to play games," huh? Now I'm scared.

Stop it with the gimmicks, Nintendo.

UrbanRats

Yeah ok.
And MS and Sony aren't competition, and it's not the same game, it's not the same content.

It's the next Nintendo (home) console, so yes, it is its successor.
Or are you going to keep producing WiiUs in parallel? Yeah.

I don't think it's fair to always bring up the DS during the third pillar talk.

The DS was actually meant as third pillar, it's the market that decided to make it Nintendo's second pillar.

You actually bought that third-pillar stuff? It's already been explained above, but I thought everyone knew it was BS.

Kikorin

Probably he means is not a successor because it will have a different name (no more "wii"), concept, ecc... but it will replace Wii U for sure, and after Pokémon also 3ds will be replaced by something, unless the hybrid thing is real and NX will replace both.

Nightbird

You actually bought that third-pillar stuff? It's already been explained above, but I thought everyone knew it was BS.

Well, I wasn't in the videogame scene back then, but looking back it does seem plausible to me that the DS was an experiment that became a bigger success than expected.

But I see that I seem to be wrong on that

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I think what he is trying to say, is that it is not just a Wii U or a 3DS with more horsepower (eg Wii to Wii U), but rather new branding consoles.

JimiNutz

Banned
Maybe NX is a service and Nintendo are opening the platform up for third party hardware manufacturers?

Like maybe Nintendo will release their version of console and portable hardware that both have access to the NX games service and then third parties have the option to release more powerful hardware that can access the NX platform as well?

Similar to Android I guess?

It isn't a successor to a successful family line like DS because if it flopped then I nvestors would be like "well that game is over" and dump stock.

DS needs to be a third pillar itself.

vareon

You can play Zelda, a game previously designed on Wii U, on NX. Don't worry too much about gimmicks (or anything said before official unveiling, anyway).

Peterc

What exactly could this mean for the NX? Are we looking at a "Third Pillar" similar to when the DS first came out, whose success was so give it ended up replacing the GameBoy? Or is this just PR speak for "We can't reveal nothing else at the moment."

I believe and said it many times before, the nx will not just be a console. But also not something like wii or wiiu. 3rd Pillar is believeable.

We are talking about specs, while I said, maybe we need to talk about what the system can do, why it would be unique and different from the rest. Something Emily with inside source should have to know. But she proabably don't.

“If you only expand upon existing hardware, it’s dull. In some shape or form, we’re always thinking about how we want to surprise players as well as our desire to change each person’s video gaming life.”

http://gamerant.com/nintendo-nx-console-change-life/

WiiU and 3DS with such toxic brands that they don't want to associate the next gen hardware with them.

Shit hit the the fan at Nintendo.

Peterc

Stop comparing nx to wii or wiiu. Also all consoles has gimmicks.

It rather have to do with innovation, new way of playing games.

I believe the nx will have a traditional way of playing games, but with a new way of thinking.

Few example:

- cloud power system -> cost you nothing
- Additional power box -> you don't have to buy it
- this patent: http://i.imgur.com/ZHMXypA.png
It could sold separately or included in a delux version. But still you can play the games without it.
- cross platform

R0nn

Has it ever been confirmed that NX is actual hardware? Haven't been following this story very closely, so I'm not sure.

Because the more I read about NX and the more I think about it, the more I start to think that NX is a service instead of hardware.

Peterc

Has it ever been confirmed that NX is actual hardware? Haven't been following this story very closely, so I'm not sure.

Because the more I read about NX and the more I think about it, the more I start to think that NX is a service instead of hardware.

Reggie indicates that NX is a home console
We’ve also said publicly that we are already hard at work on our next home console and that’s another element we’ll be talking about much later.
http://nintendoeverything.com/reggie-indicates-that-nx-is-a-home-console/

sure is a home console

Jackano

We should refers to NX like we refers to iOS (or Android). That's why I like using "NX home" and "NX handheld".
But there is definitely hardware, and probably set-top box. Confirmed example comes from their involvement into Vulkan API.

How many times are we going to have this thread?

The way I see it:

The NX is not part of the DS or Wii family, therefore not a direct successor. It follows a different, new, (for lack of a better word) mantra.

It'll still be a gaming console, it'll still be considered a generational successor. Just like the Wii following the Gamecube.

Forkball

Third pillar.

Japanese houses often have a main pillar, called the daikokubashira. This is often used as a metaphor as well, meaning something that is central or important to the subject at hand. However, some houses actually have more than one main pillar depending on the structure. Therefore, Nintendo is clearly building one of these types of houses.

My point is the NX is some sort of new carpentry tool.

TheJoRu

In a world where the 3DS not even sold half of the NDS, with the actural anual sales even worse than that.

Using the Wii and DS brands is a dead end for Nintendo.

Well, you're right, but it's not "toxic". That suggests that the DS brand in of itself somehow brings a negative connotation with it. Fewer people bought 3DS because of mobile and a poor launch, among several other reasons most likely, not because there is a dislike for the brand.

They won't call it 3DS, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had DS in its name somehow.

Unless their next handheld is very similar to DS and/or 3DS, which I very much doubt, they will not use the DS brand.

Well, you're right, but it's not "toxic". That suggests that the DS brand in of itself somehow brings a negative connotation with it. Fewer people bought 3DS because of mobile and a poor launch, not because there is a dislike for the brand.

There is declining interest in a dedicated handheld a la DS right now. Nintendo is right not making a "mere" successfor of the WiiU AND 3DS.

The declining sales of the 3DS are just not such a big news because Nintendo has even a bigger failure running with the WiiU but the developement is neither good or even okay for a company like Nintendo.

Jackano

Unless their next handheld is very similar to DS and/or 3DS, which I very much doubt, they will not use the DS brand.
3DS had some confusion because of the name at first but eventually remains a strong
brand. Wii U had the same confusion but bombed for too much reasons.

IMO they will come up with a new brand name, for both form factors. But there is a possibility they mix that brand with the DS one for the NX handheld. Unlike you I'm pretty confident it will still have two screens so starting with this, it can makes sense.
Imagine if the new NX brand name is Smurf, we could have the Nintendo Smurf in March 2017 and later, a handheld named Smurf DS.

120v

Using the Wii and DS brands is a dead end for Nintendo.

i wouldn't rule out the "wii" brand yet... for example it's clear they're not moving on from "mii" anytime soon with miimoto. it's still one of their most successful and recognizable brands despite the last console flopping (of which, i'd argue had little to do with the name)

i could see them going in another direction too though

Top Bottom