• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: "NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS."

When people say it's obvious what the NX is and then describe it as this nebulous "platform" for games, I can't help but wonder if there is something I'm missing or if they realize they are being as vague and non-descriptive as Nintendo regarding the NX.

My ideal "new way to play games" is a Netflix-like subscription. Buy the console and pay $12 a month for unlimited access to new and old games.

I'm not interested in another gimmicky controller.

Pokemaniac

When people say it's obvious what the NX is and then describe it as this nebulous "platform" for games, I can't help but wonder if there is something I'm missing or if they realize they are being as vague and non-descriptive as Nintendo regarding the NX.

By "platform" people are saying it will be more than one device that are all encompassed in the same ecosystem, such as iOS or Android.

Russ T

Banned
different for the sake of being different

Except that's not what they've been doing. It's just what you want to believe because you haven't enjoyed some of the "gimmicks". But when it's one you like you pretend it's not a gimmick, that its success means it didn't change the way games are played.

Nintendo can't please everyone, but they've never let me down, except when it comes to the amount of software they sometimes (don't) release.

My ideal "new way to play games" is a Netflix-like subscription. Buy the console and pay $12 a month for unlimited access to new and old games.

Wouldn't surprise me if they experiment with that. There was an Iwata quote I can't find that talks about how they need to question the longevity of the model of selling hardware for $300 and games for $60. Would appreciate if someone knows where to dig it up from N's IR site

gamerMan

It’s something very new. The hardware, the software lineup, all of it is something I’d like to play for the first time myself.

I find this quote to be very weird. Almost as if Kimishima hasn't even touched an NX or know what the NX is himself. Maybe Nintendo is even keeping it a secret from him.

Some people either don't understand Nintendo or just want Nintendo to change its DNA and conform to the rest of the industry. Nintendo is and has always been a cross between a toy company and a game company. The gimmicks you speak of have been a part of the equation since the very beginning: Game & Watch, ROB, the light gun, the power pad, the microphone in the Famicom's second controller, shoulder buttons, the analog stick, the rumble pack, the Gamecube's handle and special triggers, the wiimote, the WiiU gamepad, etc. Some of those things have been great innovations that others have adopted, others were failures and labelled gimmicks. It would be a pity to bar Nintendo from it's experimentation, and potentially miss out on the next innovation. Their next "gimmick" could once again influence the industry. Doubtful, but I'm glad they take chances and I want them to continue doing that.

Good point. The modern controller only exists because of many of Nintendo's "gimmicks."

Sadist

At this point some folks interested in NX are losing their minds because of the long wait.

All the vague rumors and Nintendo playing coy will make those people erupt with anger when they do finally show their machine to the world.

grimm_shado

Unconfirmed Member
Everytime since at least the DS' announcement Nintendo has said that the new platform won't replace the old/current one, and that it's meant to co-exist with it.

It's their way of making you feel that your current hardware will remain relevant, when in fact it won't after 6 months to a year into the new platform's cycle, if not sooner.

JoeM86

Releasing a Wii U 2 would do a better job at that then a "me too" box.

I find it strange that people here are really advocating for another device that's different for the sake of being different. If Nintendo wants to differentiate itself, then they should do what they have always done, differentiate through software and not hardware. Ultimately, it's the games that have been proven to be the real innovation and not the hardware gimmicks.

The hardware gimmicks are starting to get in the way of making a good game.

Just because the Wii U failed doesn't mean that everything different will fail.

You forget that so many of today's standards for gaming were shrugged off as gimmicks at the outset.

To just differentiate by software means nothing. I firmly believe that there is no place for a third similar console in the market. Nintendo need to do something different, not just the same as everyone else. Nintendo has always been at their best when they do things different, when they lead the pack rather than follow it.

Peterc

Everyone has experience a failer.

MS fails in: Windows vista & 8, xbox and even xbox1 a bit (still below GC sales).
Succeed: Windows xp & 7 , Xbox 360

Sony fails in: Vita & (a change VR will also fail)
Succeed: ps1, ps2 , ps4, psp&ps3 a bit, ps3 was far from perfect

Nintendo fails in: Virtual boy, GC, Wiiu
Succeed: nes, snes, n64, wii, gameboy, gba, nds, 3ds

Looking at this list: http://www.vg chartz.com/platforms/

Sales aren't that great anymore compared to the past

Have you thought about what your saying? There is a reason games on EA vault are at least a year old. You can't expect them to sell a console in stores that in turn won't be able to sell games, where they actually have profit margins, to go with them. And potential third party games go right out the window as no company would allow them to simultaneously release a new boxed product when the same game is available for access under a much cheaper subscription parallel to it.

You forget that so many of today's standards for gaming were shrugged off as gimmicks at the outset.

To just differentiate by software means nothing. I firmly believe that there is no place for a third similar console in the market. Nintendo need to do something different, not just the same as everyone else. Nintendo has always been at their best when they do things different, when they lead the pack rather than follow it.

Completely agree. Nintendo's uniqueness has benefited them far more in the past than it has hurt them. Wii U is a mere momentary blip. Just because their attempt at being different failed this one time doesn't mean every single attempt in the future will.

I think you greatly underestimate just how much the market has changed since the Wii/DS era, thanks primarily to mobile gaming. The barrier to entry into video gaming has been lowered to the point where it's literally impossible for a dedicated gaming device to lower it any further; there simply is no blue ocean left anymore.

First-party software is the most compelling differentiator they can possibly offer in the current market, and that's what NX should focus on. Attempting to catch lighting in a bottle again is a futile endeavor, and likely a very costly one as well.

JoeM86

I think you greatly underestimate just how much the market has changed since the Wii/DS era, thanks primarily to mobile gaming. The barrier to entry into video gaming has been lowered to the point where it's literally impossible for a dedicated gaming device to lower it any further; there simply is no blue ocean left anymore.

First-party software is the most compelling differentiator they can possibly offer in the current market, and that's what NX should focus on. Attempting to catch lighting in a bottle again is a futile endeavor, and likely a very costly one as well.

It's not just about blue ocean. If gaming continues on the path it's going, it'll stagnate.

Schnozberry

It's not just about blue ocean. If gaming continues on the path it's going, it'll stagnate.

You could make an argument it already has. We already have way too little innovation and way too many yearly IP. Gaming crashed in the early 80s because people game developers pushed out repetitive software at too high a cost.

I'm not predicting another crash, but I think games offer too few experiences that encourage new players to get into the hobby.

Ludist210

Didn't Nintendo say something to this effect when the original DS came out? Something about being the "third pillar"?

This sounds awfully familiar...

Peterc

Didn't Nintendo say something to this effect when the original DS came out? Something about being the "third pillar"?

This sounds awfully familiar...

Yes, but it only means that they will try it, if it fails they can go back to traditional gaming.

Malakai

Do you have any research or demographic studies indicating the overlap of previous Wii/DS owners with mobile gamer? Just from the top of my head, China, if I can recall correctly, is about of fourth of the mobile gaming industry--a place where the Wii/DS couldn't even be sold legally.

jstripes

Banned
We've been here before with the DS.

If this is the case, everyone will laugh at it when it's unveiled, then it'll go on to massive success.

(Of course, that's a whole lot more difficult in the smartphone age.)

I'm pretty sure the overall gaming market is growing, if perhaps not in the ways you'd prefer to see.

Do you have any research or demographic studies indicating the overlap of previous Wii/DS owners with mobile gamer? Just from the top of my head, China, if I can recall correctly, is about of fourth of the mobile gaming industry--a place where the Wii/DS couldn't even be sold legally.

Really? It's not 2011 anymore. You can't seriously argue that the growth of mobile gaming and the dramatic decline of casual/family/kids gaming on dedicated platforms are completely unrelated phenomena.

Malakai

I'm pretty sure the overall gaming market is growing, if perhaps not in the ways you'd prefer to see.

Really? It's not 2011 anymore. You can't seriously argue that the growth of mobile gaming and the dramatic decline of casual/family/kids gaming on dedicated platforms are completely unrelated phenomena.

Mobile is, especially, in China. However, in the West, it have decline overall....

Malakai

You can't keep saying the whole audience or any percentage of that said audience went mobile without presenting any information about that said audience.

ika

Lots of impatient bitching in this thread. What really gets me is that people keep saying they are tired of the teasing, but it's not like Nintendo is putting out Directs and press releases with this information. They are answering questions, be it from interviewers or investors, and saying what they feel they can say other than "No comment". If you're going to be mad about it, then be mad at the interviewers and investors that keep asking the same damn questions even though they know Nintendo isn't going to give up that information until they are ready. If you didn't hang out on places like GAF you wouldn't even be aware of every article that is written and immediately posted about on here.

I'm not mad at the writers or investors, they are doing what they are supposed to do, just as Nintendo is supposed to vaguely answer questions about unreleased hardware that has had no public announcement. It's not like we haven't had some juicy leaks lately to satisfy your curiosity.

Be careful! You could break GAF and the Internet with so much common sense and logic, you know... :p

Also, I find interesting how Kimishima didn't refute the interviewer with the "NX as a [stationary] console". When I read the question I thought Kimishima would use some vague definition of NX as a "platform" in order to not confirm this as a console or a handheld. Some people here still thinks this is a handheld or a family of different hardware starting with a handheld, so maybe this is a quasi-official-confirmation from the president himself that NX is a home console...

It's obviously confirmed that this will have some kind of gimmick that is not "service-based" like some are theorizing and that we'll definitely see new and innovative hardware (the controller, likely). It'll play "traditional" games too because Zelda will be there, but I hope this ends some wild dreams about a PS4 clone and "normal console" nonsense. This way, the meltdowns won't be that annoying when Nintendo reveals the thing.

Anth0ny

i think i might vomit with rage

I'm 50/50 on the belief of whether there's room for a 3rd somewhat-similar console box on the market. On the one hand, different-for-the-sake-of-different has bitten Nintendo in the ass more than it has helped them over the years, and at the end of the day their best software ends up being the games that are the most "traditional" (Smash Bros, Mario 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, all playable with the traditional Pro Controller and essentially built with that paradigm from ground up). The WiiU's first party library is nothing short of amazing and there's no doubt in my mind that the failed platform that is the WiiU held back the popularity of its software. Smash 4 deserved better sales than Brawl, Mario Kart 8 deserved more sales than MKWii, etc. Making consoles this way is also incredibly risky. If their gimmick doesn't pan out, they're out for the next 4/5 years and they have to write off that entire generation. I doubt Nintendo enjoys being in the position of their market potentially crumbling each and every time they're due for a new console.

On the other hand, great software doesn't necessarily translate to good sales or solid 3rd party support. Not because I believe that 3rd parties "have it out" for Nintendo, but because it doesn't make financial sense to shove in more target platforms if the money isn't there. Then there's the question of who such a console would be for. Would Nintendo really be that successful in pulling PS4/XB1 consumers away from those platforms and into theirs in significant enough numbers? Can Nintendo even provide a comparable experience? I'm specifically talking about the online infrastructure. I know Nintendo has made some pretty significant leaps in regards to how it handles anything and everything online, but I'd still say it's far from being on par with Sony's and MS's competing services. It's not super important now but if they were to go after Sony and MS's lunch this becomes a factor. It also doesn't help that Nintendo hasn't tried to court this audience since the GameCube days. At this point the effort in going up against MS and Sony directly would be akin to entering a new market.

So I can't really see Nintendo continuing to exist in either of these spaces comfortably. Sure, Nintendo doesn't need to be as much of a juggernaut as Sony/MS, but I doubt Nintendo or their investors would be particularly happy with taking up the mantle of the "niche console manufacturer". It's pretty clear they DON'T want to continue putting out consoles that sell 13 million worldwide. I don't think their infrastructure of being a software developer, publisher, hardware manufacturer, and distributor can sustain sales like that for an extended period of time. But at the same time, I don't know that Nintendo has the ability or resources to try to re-enter the console market with a traditional box and competitive specs and succeed in that space. And I highly doubt that going 3rd party would solve any of their problems.

If anything I'd wager their best course of action is whatever nets them the sweet spot between hardware uniqueness and 3rd party support. While 3rd party support is not sufficient to have comfortable success, I do have to say it's necessary. I don't think anyone can look at what happened with 3rd parties and the WiiU and say to themselves "yep, this went a-OK".

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I actually find more interesting this part:

Interviewer: (...)due to the fact that both will be consoles.
Kimishima: I suppose it can be seen that way.

The successor part is PR fluff, but this seems to point out that it's not purely a console. Or not just a console.

I don't know, they always talk lately about NX as one thing, device, package. I always thought that this is because they talk about the NX family. But I'm more and more drawn towards the idea that it's a "transformer" of some kind.

Osiris397

Banned
Whether it's intentional or not the PS4 NEO is going to squeeze publishers off of NX, because they simply aren't going to want to pay to add dev time for another platform to the existing 3.5 unless NX sells at least XBone numbers. The fact that EA issued a public statement that stated they weren't currently developing anything for Nintendo basically tells you everything you need to know about the fact that Nintendo hasn't been able to make any in roads with them or maybe any other third party.

The more and more I think about though the more I think NX is essentially going to be a separate PSNow "channel" that's just Nintendo content.

October 11, 2016 is likely XBone's TOD. After Gears of War they got nothing to bring significant numbers of gamers in and in about a year I kind of suspect the sales numbers will tank and MS will shift XBox game development to Windows. Maybe Nintendo can re-enter the hardware fray then.

Dmax3901

This would be really cool. I've often thought the Nintendo Virtual Console is stupid. Imagine paying a monthly fee to have every Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc. The presentation could also be real fun too.

Whether it's intentional or not the PS4 NEO is going to squeeze publishers off of NX, because they simply aren't going to want to pay to add dev time for another platform to the existing 3.5 unless NX sells at least XBone numbers. The fact that EA issued a public statement that stated they weren't currently developing anything for Nintendo basically tells you everything you need to know about the fact that Nintendo hasn't been able to make any in roads with them or maybe any other third party.

The more and more I think about though the more I think NX is essentially going to be a separate PSNow "channel" that's just Nintendo content.

October 11, 2016 is likely XBone's TOD. After Gears of War they got nothing to bring significant numbers of gamers in and in about a year I kind of suspect the sales numbers will tank and MS will shift XBox game development to Windows. Maybe Nintendo can re-enter the hardware fray then.

Nintendo has nothing to tap Microsoft's target groups. The people will just move to the Playstation.

anothertech

So considering how this statement turned out for the DS/Gameboy situation, I suppose this could be translated to read:

"NX is both the successor to the WiiU and the 3DS!"

Correct? If so, good times ahead!

Peterc

Nintendo has nothing to tap Microsoft's target groups. The people will just move to the Playstation.

Not yet, true

Sony would also want Nintendo to succeed.

Remember Microsoft helping apple?

Same thing, Sony also said it before they want Nintendo to do good, because it will help them to keep console businessalive.

Peterc

So considering how this statement turned out for the DS/Gameboy situation, I suppose this could be translated to read:

"NX is both the successor to the WiiU and the 3DS!"

Correct? If so, good times ahead!

No, it has nothing to do with both systems.

It will be a replacement if it do well, but it's not a successor to wiiu or 3ds

WiiU and 3DS with such toxic brands that they don't want to associate the next gen hardware with them.

Shit hit the the fan at Nintendo.

I really don't get why 3DS is sometimes perceived as a failure. I mean it sold around 60 millions with awesome sales numbers for Nintendo softwares in a very different market compared to the DS era.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Why everyone is ignoring what in my opinion is the really important and new detail?

"However, the NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. It's a new way of playing games"

It means it will be neither a "traditional" console nor something similar to past Nintendo consoles.

Top Bottom