• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

ST2K

On a note related to something discussed previously regarding cliques in the Kinda Funny community, EZA's Brandon Jones put out a thoughtful, heartfelt video to their Patrons that addressed the topic pretty amazingly well.

Kinda frustrating that a guy who (seemingly) works more, makes less, and has been doing this whole thing for less time than anyone at KF came out with something so well done while no one from KF has addressed the topic.

Karu

On a note related to something discussed previously regarding cliques in the Kinda Funny community, EZA's Brandon Jones put out a thoughtful, heartfelt video to their Patrons that addressed the topic pretty amazingly well.

Kinda frustrating that a guy who (seemingly) works more, makes less, and has been doing this whole thing for less time than anyone at KF came out with something so well done while no one from KF has addressed the topic.
Whether or not your sentiment is true (especially in regards to working more etc. I think that's highly questionable), I don't know what's the benefit of going into the KF Community thread and writing that especially if no one but EZA Patreons can view said video. There are already enough paranoid "THERE IS BEEF!"-fans out there... and we haven't reached E3 yet, where the EZA happy circle jerk versus Giantbomb Grumpy old dads-debate starts anew *frown* :p

ST2K

Whether or not your sentiment is true (especially in regards to working more etc. I think that's highly questionable), I don't know what's the benefit of going into the KF Community thread and writing that especially if no one but EZA Patreons can view said video. There are already enough paranoid "THERE IS BEEF!"-fans out there... and we haven't reached E3 yet, where the EZA happy circle jerk versus Giantbomb Grumpy old dads-debate starts anew *frown* :p

Just using it as a point of reference to bring up what people are asking for isn't some unprecedented, unattainable gesture. The KF community deserves better.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Switch topic on the GoG is hair pulling. It feels like when some poster wants to troll on regular gaming GAF and just starts to spout nonsense without any real teeth to their argument before mod bot comes into lock the thread and throw out a junior tag.

The Switch topic on the GoG is hair pulling. It feels like when some poster wants to troll on regular gaming GAF and just starts to spout nonsense without any real teeth to their argument before mod bot comes into lock the thread and throw out a junior tag.

Which side of the argument is hair pulling? I feel like the downside of the topic is that they're arguing from two different perspectives...developers vs. consumers.

Lorne clearly has a bit of an axe to grind with Nintendo, but I still found it interesting to hear more about their policies on promoting or not promoting games based on release date and how they maintain those third party relationships.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Which side of the argument is hair pulling? I feel like the downside of the topic is that they're arguing from two different perspectives...developers vs. consumers.

Lorne clearly has a bit of an axe to grind with Nintendo, but I still found it interesting to hear more about their policies on promoting or not promoting games based on release date and how they maintain those third party relationships.

That's the thing. From the get go they never set topic parameters. He says like previous Nintendo consoles. Tim says Wii or Wii U as that's a pretty big sales difference. Then Lorne trying to hot take says but what about developers.

Then it gets mired in this not clearly focused topic, AND it's pretty clear Lorne has an axe to grind with Nintendo.

I say all of this and I don't even own the damn console either.

That's the thing. From the get go they never set topic parameters. He says like previous Nintendo consoles. Tim says Wii or Wii U as that's a pretty big sales difference. Then Lorne trying to hot take says but what about developers.

Then it gets mired in this not clearly focused topic, AND it's pretty clear Lorne has an axe to grind with Nintendo.

I say all of this and I don't even own the damn console either.

Yeah, I think it's clear that Lorne has an axe to grind for sure and it's a fair point that it muddled the argument.

I did enjoy his perspective, however. I'd love to hear some specific stories of his dealings with Nintendo and find out if it goes beyond the promotional issues he talked about.

Going by Greg's Twitter account, it looks like Greg and Gen might've got a new apartment. With Colin moving to LA, I guess that means that the original KF location will be owned (well, rented) by someone else. End of an era?

Bo7HDTs.png

057QeJF.png

I wonder when they'll change the intros for their shows. Watching the Gamescast with Colin prominently featured is pretty awkward.

They said they have no plans to remove him from the portraits and stuff. That might extend to the intro.

According to Greg he's proud of Colin's legacy and isn't going to try and scrub him from that stuff.

I imagine if they get a new permanent member of those shows they may update it

Regardless, it feels like the quality of both shows and the guests has markedly increased without Colin's lack of enthusiasm.

I have to agree. I felt like most of the time Colin stayed silent on the Gamescast and didn't contribute too much and when he did he seemed to be a bit more of a downer. I've found myself watching the shows a lot more closely than I did a few months ago.

I do miss PS I Love You though.

They said they have no plans to remove him from the portraits and stuff. That might extend to the intro.

According to Greg he's proud of Colin's legacy and isn't going to try and scrub him from that stuff.

I imagine if they get a new permanent member of those shows they may update it

Yeah I get he was a core part of KF it just seems awkward that their logo includes him and the intro shows him when he's no longer on the show. Then again, them cutting him out at the moment would only give them more flak I imagine. I guess it makes sense to leave it as is and maybe give the intro/assets a small refresh whenever they find a third chair.

jviggy43

I have to say after reading people's thoughts on Lanning's segment I was pleasently surprised. I thought his overarching point, that Nintendo is stuck in an outdated business philosophy, is totally fair. I love Nintendo but they should totally be the king of the consoles given their first party games (I mean hell I buy their consoles SOLELY for them), but they continue to sort of operate with, in a lot of ways, a behind the times ideology. Idk, as a consumer, I think hes right in that Nintendo could do better for themselves while still pursuing the hybrid avenues.

I thought it was a good segment.

ST2K

Do you guys think we will get a new gaming show or psiloveyou back anytime soon? Tuesdays is now a major gap in my podcasting routine.

Wait for KFL3 for announcements. They'll have them there.

Personally, I'm betting PSILY is either dead or transformed to such an extent it's unrecognizable.

Karu

I closed the Lanning Switch topic after the first minute of discussion was boring, incoherent rambling from all sides, don't need that.

Gamescast with GameXplain Part 1 was great, though. Look forward to the rest.

Wait for KFL3 for announcements. They'll have them there.

Personally, I'm betting PSILY is either dead or transformed to such an extent it's unrecognizable.

As long as they keep the name, I'm fine. It's such a pitch perfect name for a PlayStation podcast. It can't just be thrown aside and be forgotten!

ghornett

Neo Member
I have to say after reading people's thoughts on Lanning's segment I was pleasently surprised. I thought his overarching point, that Nintendo is stuck in an outdated business philosophy, is totally fair. I love Nintendo but they should totally be the king of the consoles given their first party games (I mean hell I buy their consoles SOLELY for them), but they continue to sort of operate with, in a lot of ways, a behind the times ideology. Idk, as a consumer, I think hes right in that Nintendo could do better for themselves while still pursuing the hybrid avenues.

I thought it was a good segment.
+1

ST2K

The thing that bugged me about that segment was Lorne saying he thought Nintendo's lack of success with third parties killed Iwata.

That's just... not cool to say.

jviggy43

The thing that bugged me about that segment was Lorne saying he thought Nintendo's lack of success with third parties killed Iwata.

That's just... not cool to say.

Yeah that was weird. I wasn't sure if he was making a joke or he meant it figuratively and he was implying that Iwata really wanted more third parties. It was really a poor decision either way.

Also 2d zelda? I mean I'm not opposed but to say they wont do BoTW again when theyve already specifically said thats what theyre going to do is silly.

Vinc

After honestly trying to give everything a shot since the split, I have to say that I don't really like either side's content at this point.

ST2K

After honestly trying to give everything a shot since the split, I have to say that I don't really like either side's content at this point.

I think I agree.

I still like GOG, but everything else from KF is lackluster. And with all respect to Colin, for now, he's completely out of his depth in the arena he's entering.

Maximo

I mean Im enjoying their content more they are having more guests lately on both podcasts which is great, Andy is a nice addition not front and center but always great when he he is involved in things besides editing, the lets plays are better and hell the small glimpse of the Mario Kart Tournament has been amazing.
https://clips.twitch.tv/AbstemiousSlickHummingbirdImGlitch

Really they have never been better.

_Isaac

I am surprised how much Andy has shown up in their videos. I thought it was just going to be an introductory show, and then he'd just be hidden away. I really enjoyed the minority report shows.

I am surprised how much Andy has shown up in their videos. I thought it was just going to be an introductory show, and then he'd just be hidden away. I really enjoyed the minority report shows.

I've been diggin' andys contribution to KF. He's got good chemistry with the guys and seems like a good dude!

Still wondering who they got in mind for the 4th person. Any guesses who it'll be?

I've been diggin' andys contribution to KF. He's got good chemistry with the guys and seems like a good dude!

Still wondering who they got in mind for the 4th person. Any guesses who it'll be?

Hmm. I do think Andrea Rene would be a good pick-up. She seems to be the one guest that gels best with the guys. They seem to have been doing a lot outside of KF (Greg and Tim seeing GotG2/celebrating Greg's Birthday last night with Andrea and PlayStation's John Drake (her husband)) recently.

Hmm. I do think Andrea Rene would be a good pick-up. She seems to be the one guest that gels best with the guys. They seem to have been doing a lot outside of KF (Greg and Tim seeing GotG2/celebrating Greg's Birthday last night with Andrea and PlayStation's John Drake (her husband)) recently.
I agree! Andrea would be an awesome member of kf. She knows gaming and her and greg could revive psiloveyou(or something similar). Gah now you got my hopes up its Andrea Lol!

Edit: Ive been a fan of hers since she put Colin in his place over mobile games when the studio first opened.

jviggy43

The Greg Xyger Mario Kart 8 battle did not disappoint. That was an epic ending.

Insane ending. One of the reasons I disliked Mario Kart Wii U was the lack of a second item to help you our when stuff like that happens, Greg was clearly killing it all race to get screwed over like that (glad the deluxe edition fixes that problem).

The Greg Xyger Mario Kart 8 battle did not disappoint. That was an epic ending.

How Xyger squandered that prime opportunity to pass Greg there at the end, I'll never know. Someone speculated the lightning that hit Greg also slowed Xyger down, giving Greg the ample time to still finish first.

Did Andrea Renee used to date Garnett Lee or am I thinking of someone else?

I think you're thinking of Ariel Angelotti, a producer from Sony Santa Monica https://twitter.com/arielotti

I know it's not sustainable, but the GamesCast has been great with the rotating guests (people with accents are awesome). I know it's not sustainable but it's great getting a fresh new perspective every week to go along with Tim and Greg.

Beating Kevin to the punch, eh?

What's next, a baby?
Anyone who's been following Greg for years will know how insane of a thing that would be

Also, not insinuating anything, but how weird is it that they get married on the day Colin moves?

Top Bottom