• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

ST2K

Probably my favorite thing is them releasing the entire podcast in one video and not in chunks. It doesn't work well and the videos end awkwardly.

I can only hope they finally change the intro.

Yeah, the topic-by-topic thing completely ruined Gamescast. Them reformatting it is huge. This show could become something really cool, if Tim applies himself.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with all of the changes listed. I feel like KFMS being a tight 45 minutes means slightly less goofing around and a bit more keeping on topic. I think Greg helming KF Games Daily with a rotating guest is the right idea and I'm excited to see what they do with it. Danny and Andrea should be good guests and I feel like there's enough variety in taste there to have better discussions about games. KF Gamescast no longer being a breakout podcast is HUGE. I always disliked the arbitrary cut offs and transitions and I'm psyched that it'll be back to a standard podcast format. Cooking with Greggy is a good idea too. It's clearly something he has a passion for and I like that it'll let them stretch their legs as a production company with a completely new format, be it a single-cam or multi-cam setup.

All-in-all, this seems like the right set of moves to make in a Colin-less Kinda Funny. They're playing to their strengths as a group and removing some of the more business-y aspects (breaking out gamescast into 4 videos, running ads on subscriber podcasts, etc) that people dislike. Looking forward to the new stuff!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Not surprised to see Danny and Andrea.

Like most of these changes.

Definitely like that the morning show is its own thing as I felt KoF and KoF games were blending too much despite trying to be different with different patreons.

I do worry about Games Daily being too grindy. 45 mins everyday​ during slow news months like July could be hard to fill especially if the Gamescast becomes it's own more evergreen thing.

Which I guess the Gamescast content will be different now that the daily videos will handle news.

I'm still worried about content though. There isn't anything actually new here. Morning show getting cut in half with Games being the 2nd half means you're still getting roughly the same amount of daily content. It's just better structured.

Gamescast still the same, but it's just being posted as one big podcast.

No Love and Sex and no PSILoveYou means the team is still doing overall less content.

I also fail to see how they plan on growing the brand? I guess the one good thing is splitting the morning show means they can actively push Games Daily as it's own show to drive traffic.

Edit: Well there is cooking with Greg so that could be more content depending upon how often that rolls out.

I'm surprised to see Andrea since she just started What's Good Games. I feel like it would be tiring for her to probably talk about the same stuff on KF and then WGG. I feel like that;ll cause a bit of an issue somehow, whether it's just with her, or maybe overlapping fans.

Vanillalite

Also they need to rebrand. KoF Games makes sense.

KoF doesn't as a patreon when it's the name of the overall business.

Make it like KoF Pop Culture or something.

Then slot shows accordingly which they can actually do now that they split the morning show up into two distinct shows.

Mezoly

Very happy about the announcements. I think they played their somewhat limited hand to the best of their abilities. I hope the execution is good.

- Very interested in the KF Games daily. I never cared about anything not games when it comes to KF. So it became hard to watch the morning show with all the off gaming focus going on. Oh and Danny and Andrea are awesome.

- Non segmented gamecast is very good news. Now they could talk less or more about topics without artificial padding. Not sure about the rotating third chair though. I feel it's not always best for podcast chemistry or the guest might not be informed on certain topics.

Karu

I don't believe for a second the structure of KFMS and Games Daily will look the same in two month, partly based on their previous track record, buuuut...

Games Daily in general sounds great.
GamesCast as one video was a necessary change and I am very glad they made it.

Will definitely test-support them for a month or two and see how it goes. Genuinely hope it works out!

Thorrgal

Alright, yeah, everything they talked about with the Gamescast reformat and their new daily show sounds like exactly what a lot of people wanted, including myself.

Couldn't care less about some of their other announcements (I still dislike their short form Let's Plays and KFD seems completely superfluous), but that's OK. Hopefully Andrea and Danny can bring insight and give Greg something to bounce off of while Tim can really use the new format to dig deep with the Gamescast.

Everything looks good from here, let's see how it turns out.

Danny said he'll be on twice a week. I assume Andrea's got a similar deal.

Twice a week is fantastic...can't get enough Andrea and Danny!

mrk8885

Banned
I'm surprised to see Andrea since she just started What's Good Games. I feel like it would be tiring for her to probably talk about the same stuff on KF and then WGG. I feel like that;ll cause a bit of an issue somehow, whether it's just with her, or maybe overlapping fans.

I'm actually think it will be a good thing for WGG. I'm a fan of WGG , but especially with this most recent episode (3) I already felt like it was MAYBE a more shallow look at the news with some slightly wrong / misunderstood info. Having this KF show to gain insight and perspective into the news from other people in the industry may actually help the WGG podcast.

killroy87

I hate to sound like a negative nancy over here, but aren't all of these changes (minus the cooking one) just them rejigging their current content? I agree that releasing one solid podcast is awesome, and getting more people in is a great idea, but the core content output seems exactly the same. I was kind of hoping they would commit to more KFG content where they, now stay with me here, play video games.

I hate to sound like a negative nancy over here, but aren't all of these changes (minus the cooking one) just them rejigging their current content? I agree that releasing one solid podcast is awesome, and getting more people in is a great idea, but the core content output seems exactly the same. I was kind of hoping they would commit to more KFG content where they, now stay with me here, play video games.

u lost me

Maximo

Did you watch the announcement? Greg said there will be way more Hands On/Lets Plays and Andy is at the helm with a weekly show essentially round table of a bunch of them just fucking around playing games together, now stay with me sounds like they are going to play more video games.

ghornett

Neo Member
I still don't like the idea of 2 patreons but it seems like that's never going away. It's too easy to get people to pay for both plus a twitch sub.

Thorrgal

Danny o Dwyer is a saint. Does so much for Kinda Funny.

Well he'll get paid for this :p

But he clearly likes the guys as much as he dislikes Colin (he sees through his bullshit as only an european could...equating Sanders to Le Pen, the ignorance), so it's a perfect fit.

Also it's good for danny to have different sources of income.

I never used patreon bfr but I think I will jump onboard now

killroy87

Did you watch the announcement? Greg said there will be way more Hands On/Lets Plays and Andy is at the helm with a weekly show essentially round table of a bunch of them just fucking around playing games together, now stay with me sounds like they are going to play more video games.
Nope, I read a few summaries and none of them mentioned that. That's great to hear!

Choomp

Banned
Damn.. Event really seemed like a hit. Hopefully this helps them bounce back with popularity a bit and the new shows fare well.

mhayes86

The changes sound pretty good. I'm not too familiar with Danny, but I've enjoyed his appearances on KoF. Andrea is hit or miss for me, but I'm not complaining since new faces really add to the variety. I just hope that the Gaming Daily show doesn't get too stale for being a daily show, especially in slow news months, but at least they're covering everything.

Like the changed except the daily gaming show. 45 mins is too much and they will fill it with Chad and shirtless antics

Everything else is on point

mrk8885

Banned
Like the changed except the daily gaming show. 45 mins is too much and they will fill it with Chad and shirtless antics

Everything else is on point

well FWIW, greg has made a point to say the shenanigans will be going in the first part of the KFMS whereas the gaming pod will be more to the point and focused. we'll see how it turns out in practice.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I actually didn't mind them breaking GoG and the GamesCast out into 4 parts the following week on YouTube. It gave me something to watch/listen to Mon-Thurs while at work. I'm not a Patreon sub so I never heard them on the Friday's before in full.

Also, trying to get the Morning Show stuff done in 45 minutes will not work. I'm calling that now. With how much they mess around and technical issues they can suffer, it'll be 20 minutes of pop culture news then 20+ minutes of subs and tips. It'll always go longer than 45 minutes and it will mess up the next show if they're going to try and roll right into it. They should just keep the morning show to an hour or less and do the new show at like 2pm pacific.

Vanillalite

No I said much.

Other than short limited run Cooking with Greggy there isn't really a bunch of new content.

They are just streamlining their old content. Everything they announced is a positive step IMO.

That being said I worry about them filling out their lineup. KoF proper is basically just the GoG show in terms of what you'd be supporting on Patreon.

Also it feels like when Greg decided to add KoF games it undercut everything else they do. Everyone is focused on the games side of things where I wonder if trying to do the pop culture stuff hamstrings them a bit.

arkon

The announcements sound good. I particularly like the splitting of the morning show. That feels like a good compromise between those who tuned in for the shenanigans and those who wanted more gaming news-based discussion. Clearly seemed to have listened to and addressed areas of concern across the board. Let's see how things pan out for them. I'm more optimistic now

Kaelan

The ideas/changes coming definitely sounds good. I won't lie, I fell off after Colin left - sure he pissed me off multiple times but he was balanced/level-headed, furthermore I enjoyed the level of connections he had within the gaming industry. It seemed like he knew what almost every developer was doing in each studio "On naughty dog? Just had lunch with Neil the other day" he was just really knowledgeable.

it seems like these changes take it less from "colin-esque" and more-so to a new identity that Kinda Funny is going with moving forward, I'm definitely going to be watching more now.

killroy87

Most of it sounds pretty good, but that daily 45min gaming thing is a lock to be gone within a year.

Yeah, a 45 min daily gaming podcast sounds like a lot, especially from a site whose gaming content hasn't been the greatest. I love the idea, but twice a week would probably make more sense.

I'm happy with all these changes, HOWEVER, I'm a little disappointed they didn't go ahead and get a new 4th (full time) on camera personality. They really needed a 5th before Colin left, now it's really desperate. Danny/Andrea on the daily show is great but GOG and the Gamescast is where they needed some diversity but also someone there consistently enough to develop some good on camera chemistry with the guys.

Top Bottom