• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Wow this new Game of Show video sucks. What the hell is Greg doing to Nick? He starts to like push him off the screen. I love KF but damn if this was just sad on Greg's part.

I think Nick will honestly leave here pretty soon.

Wow this new Game of Show video sucks. What the hell is Greg doing to Nick? He starts to like push him off the screen. I love KF but damn if this was just sad on Greg's part.

I think Nick will honestly leave here pretty soon.

It looked like Nick was just exhausted, I dunno. I don't think it was anything nefarious.

I doubt he will leave any time soon, I doubt any of them will leave any time soon, especially with all their new shows coming out.

sora87

Lots of interesting stuff on GOG this past week. Biggest takeaway was that the fanbase likes RT a lot, which is kind of a bummer. The more work they do with RT, the more they attract RT fans, the more closely they're attached with RT, the more their independence is threatened. That's definitely a more long-term thing though.

For the most part, it does seem like a lot of the common concerns floated up to them through the survey. Let's see if the new format addresses it.

Damn that sucks, can't stand RT

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Lots of interesting stuff on GOG this past week. Biggest takeaway was that the fanbase likes RT a lot, which is kind of a bummer. The more work they do with RT, the more they attract RT fans, the more closely they're attached with RT, the more their independence is threatened. That's definitely a more long-term thing though.

For the most part, it does seem like a lot of the common concerns floated up to them through the survey. Let's see if the new format addresses it.

Their fanbase it really mixed.

The old fanbase into IGN and other internet gaming sites from the late 90s/early 00s that remember life before YT and Podcasts were big, and the younger fanbase that grew up with YT/Podcasts.

I have a feeling the 2nd younger group is more vocal, and younger people seem more invested as well as look at these people as their new celebrities. I think these people also like when KoF lean into RT.

I think the older base probably doesn't like it or doesn't care enough either way.

It's definitely something KoF has to juggle. Hell it's something all of the major sites have to juggle.

It looked like Nick was just exhausted, I dunno. I don't think it was anything nefarious.

I doubt he will leave any time soon, I doubt any of them will leave any time soon, especially with all their new shows coming out.

I just feel like Nick should be doing more. He doesn't seem to fit here and I know he wants to be doing something else.

N° 2048

I wouldn't mind if Nick left. These guys need a change up and they could do without Nick's unfunny jokes.

Tim has come a long way. Great to see him get the attention he does.

I wouldn't mind if Nick left. These guys need a change up and they could do without Nick's unfunny jokes.

Tim has come a long way. Great to see him get the attention he does.

See I think Nicks one of the funniest. I'll never forget the time on GOG when he talked about all of his various jobs.

sora87

I'd be gutted if Nick left, GoG just wouldn't be the same without him and when he's on form during the morning show he's hilarious. Although with the new format you probably won't get the random funny conversations as much.

Vanillalite

Nick is invaluable for regular KoF (god they need to rebrand this), but if you're in it mainly for KoF Games I could see how he could be take it or leave it for you.

Choomp

Banned
What the heck happened here lmao

On screen, Nick might not add much but dumb jokes about sex or whatever but he definitely makes a lot of stuff happen off screen. I appreciate and love him

Zukkoyaki

Games Daily was actually very, very good, exactly the type of timely and informative game content I've been wanting. Greg and Andrea have great chemistry. I enjoyed it more than the final months of PSILY.

Nick is the only reason I watch the non-gaming content.

Agreed. He's funny and has a ton of great stories and life experience that help make for good listening. He's like the cool uncle of the group and world be sorely missed on the Gameovergreggy Show.

ghornett

Neo Member
Their fanbase it really mixed.
The old fanbase into IGN and other internet gaming sites from the late 90s/early 00s that remember life before YT and Podcasts were big, and the younger fanbase that grew up with YT/Podcasts.

Agreed. I felt really put out after watching the GOG about the survey. Seemed like lots of people love exactly what I hate. Whatever though, you can't please everyone. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

The KFGD gfx are good.

Xando

Games Daily was actually very, very good, exactly the type of timely and informative game content I've been wanting. Greg and Andrea have great chemistry. I enjoyed it more than the final months of PSILY.
I agree. Turned off KF because Colin was pretty annoying but this was actually pretty great with Greg and Andrea today.

paulogy

I like how the KF Games Daily intro theme is just a remix of the Colin Was Right theme.

Explanation from Greg in the KF Forum:

The story is that jingle was designed to be the Kinda Funny jingle. As in, all our shows would have it in some respect as they opened. Then, you'd equate it with KF content. It'd be a little bit different each time.

Colin Was Right was the first show to launch with it, but it wasn't meant to be the last.

I believe Party Mode starts with it, too. I'll have to understandably explain it a million times this week, but as we move forward, it'll make sense.

Most of the way through the first KFGD episode and I think Greg and Andrea work great together! Love the format and I'm looking forward to listening every day!

jviggy43

The daily games segment is exactly what I wanted and am very happy. Danny and Andrea are fantastic to run it, looking forward to more.

ST2K

I just feel like Nick should be doing more. He doesn't seem to fit here and I know he wants to be doing something else.

Have your opinion, but please don't say shit like that. We don't know Nick's thought process, and every indication he's given to this point is that he loves working at KF.

Anyway, Games Daily is off to a good start. Let's see if they can keep it up. My main worry is burnout, at this point.

Vanillalite

No the problem is KoF has a brand/channel division issue.

There is KoF the brand. KoF channel/patreon is it's own thing. Then KoF games.

The two patreons overlap too much, and the name of their main channel being KoF which is also the name of their company makes it weird.

Plus too many people come to KoF via the games route, and they don't differentiate the two halves enough.

It also hurts when you really only have 3 main camera personalities.

Nick is great at the normal KoF stuff, but he's more casual and/or comic relief when they need him for KoF games.

Also doesn't help that they are named Kind of Funny, but the funny part doesn't always fit with what they are trying to do.

I also wonder how disparate the two patreons/channels are. I think in some ways when they launched KoF games it took away from regular KoF.

I feel like Greg and Tim are great at both sides, and then at times Colin was the opposite of Nick ie great for KoF Games but soso for regular KoF.

Karu

So Kinda Funny Games Daily....

It's fantastic. Exactly what I wanted it to be. If they don't fuck it up and blow up this format, this may be a solid main stay in my youtube consumption.

Though, Greg thinking IO's next game will be bigger than HITMAN is absolute insanity and his reasoning makes no sense, when at the same time they shafted almost half their staff and loose Enix funding. Having a "good story" behind them ain't printing money..

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
So Kinda Funny Games Daily....

It's fantastic. Exactly what I wanted it to be. If they don't fuck it up and blow up this format, this may be a solid main stay in my youtube consumption.

Though, Greg thinking IO's next game will be bigger than HITMAN is absolute insanity and his reasoning makes no sense, when at the same time they shafted almost half their staff and loose Enix funding. Having a "good story" behind them ain't printing money..

Agreed. The pitch sounded very Collider movie talk like and I wasn't sure how it would be despite that the spiritual successor to beyond/etc but it totally was. Strong start and I'm excited.

AndyVirus

Main compliment I can give KFG Daily is that since it's live, they have the corrections segment at the end of the show. So no more screaming at the monitor when they get something wrong. Seems like the perfect length too. 45 minutes but room to go longer if required.

Surprised Andrea thinks Assassin's Creed would be most likely to move date due to Wolfenstein & Mario. But I guess the question didn't include Destiny 2 PC's release & then Call of Duty coming 7 days after so they didn't realise the FPS competition.

Vanillalite

KFG Daily started out great.

Need to see how this works once they've run through material though. That's always been my biggest worry.

Okay they've somehow managed to make PS I Love You into a daily show. I had my doubts but they smashed it. This is incredible, love it!

Haven't been around to be able to give KFD a watch yet, but given all the positive feedback in this thread I'll definitely make a point to check it out. Honestly it's been so long since I've seen an overwhelmingly positive response to KF content that I'm pretty excited to see what y'all are talking about.

killroy87

KFD has been great so far, I'm really impressed. I'm still curious to see how it is in a couple week's time. 45 minutes a day is a LOT. A lot of the podcasts I listen to can feel light, and they're on a weekly schedule. I feel like in a couple month's time, they'll realize it was over ambitious and go to twice a week.

ST2K

Kinda Funny and Kinda Funny Games are now hiding their Patreon funding.

Would love to hear their reasoning behind lowering transparency.

EDIT: Found a statement by Greg on the forums -

The idea here is that the dollar amount doesn't matter -- you subscribing does.

When we started our first Patreon in 2014 and then went independent in 2015, the idea of the pages was you supporting us. It was crowdfunding a band of dummies trying to make it all work. In those 2.5 years, you've turned us into a real business. (Still run by dummies.)

While the majority of our money comes from Patreon, we don't want it to seem like this is all on you. I want you thinking about the content you're getting and the value we're giving, not if we're up or down $10.

It's funny; we started down this line of thinking a few months back, and then, last week, Patreon called me to tell me they were rebranding with pretty much the same idea (i.e. subscribing rather than crowdfunding). Here's their message. Just like us, Patreon's learned a lot in these past few years, and it's time we act like the companies we've become.

I love y'all, and I'm excited about all the stuff we've announced today. I hope you are, too.

ST2K

If KF is changing the model to "this a business, we're asking for your money for our content" from "we're asking for your support, we need your help," people are going to view the product differently. For example, I think it's kind of a lot to ask $10 a month ($20 if you want both podcasts) for a video podcast early every week. Greg's even acknowledged that a lot of people just pledge to support and don't actually use their benefits. If you make this switch, I don't think that'll help.

And yes, I'll also point out the immediate conclusion everyone drew the moment they saw this: The KF Patreon numbers have consistently gotten worse for a while now and they must want to hide that. Withholding information from the public allows them to control the message and narrative. If true, it's appalling.

If KF is changing the model to "this a business, we're asking for your money for our content" from "we're asking for your support, we need your help," people are going to view the product differently. For example, I think it's kind of a lot to ask $10 a month ($20 if you want both podcasts) for a video podcast early every week. Greg's even acknowledged that a lot of people just pledge to support and don't actually use their benefits. If you make this switch, I don't think that'll help.

And yes, I'll also point out the immediate conclusion everyone drew the moment they saw this: The KF Patreon numbers have consistently gotten worse for a while now and they must want to hide that. Withholding information from the public allows them to control the message and narrative. If true, it's appalling.

a lot of patreons have recently taken advantage of the ability to hide this. patreon's even hyped it up as a feature when they redesigned the other week

they still show total subscriber numbers, i don't really get how you can see this as "appalling"

ST2K

i don't really get how you can see this as "appalling"

I said if they're doing it to control the narrative and suppress information, it is. That's a big if and is not Greg's stated reasoning. But at this point, I'm still skeptical of the whole company and they have a lot of work to do if they want to make that go away.

It's a small problem, but not a fan of the KFGD intro music. It sounds like it has mixing problems even.

The Party Mode version sounds better.

The CWR version though, A1.

killroy87

I said if they're doing it to control the narrative and suppress information, it is. That's a big if and is not Greg's stated reasoning. But at this point, I'm still skeptical of the whole company and they have a lot of work to do if they want to make that go away.
I'm not really sure what you think the big difference is regarding their intentions between showing or hiding how much money they make. Patron showing that in the first place has always struck me as odd, it just invites your subscribers to make opinions based off a small slice of information.

And in terms of saying they want to control the message and narrative, umm...yeah. That's literally what marketing a business is lol.

ST2K

I'm not really sure what you think the big difference is regarding their intentions between showing or hiding how much money they make. Patron showing that in the first place has always struck me as odd, it just invites your subscribers to make opinions based off a small slice of information.

If you're inviting people to get in on the ground level and support you as patrons (in the original sense of the word), then transparency to that degree is practically required, as plenty of other Patreon groups recognize. If they're shifting to Patreon being merely an outsourced money collection service for their products, then yeah, fine. But then you're entirely switching up what Kinda Funny has been preaching for years now about being part of something, exchanging reach for intimacy, etc. And, again, that's fine, but KF has to realize they've permanently changed their relationship with their audience if that's the case.

And in terms of saying they want to control the message and narrative, umm...yeah. That's literally what marketing a business is lol.

Actively suppressing information so that people can make informed decisions and have some concept of how you're faring is not something I can get behind. Frankly, I don't know how anyone can, unless you believe the aforementioned concept of shifting the purpose of their Patreon.

Top Bottom