• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

ST2K

True, but I think you can categorize games like Persona, Nier, and Yakuza differently than Zelda, Splatoon, and Mario.

Fair enough. Onto your 2016 point:

- Doom
- Hitman
- Uncharted 4
- Dark Souls 3
- Enter the Gungeon
- Titanfall 2
- Stardew Valley
- Ratchet & Clank
- Salt & Sanctuary
- Furi

2016 was a great year for shooters (you forgot Overwatch!), but I think if you weren't a big fan of those it was a pretty forgettable year. Dark Souls III and UC4 were received fairly well, but I think both had their reception dulled by franchise fatigue.

My favorites that year were Final Fantasy XV and Civilization VI, both great games, but I don't think it holds up for broad appeal compared to some of the other truly great years.

2016 was a great year for shooters (you forgot Overwatch!), but I think if you weren't a big fan of those it was a pretty forgettable year. Dark Souls III and UC4 were received fairly well, but I think both had their reception dulled by franchise fatigue.

My favorites that year were Final Fantasy XV and Civilization VI, both great games, but I don't think it holds up for broad appeal compared to some of the other truly great years.

For some reason I thought Overwatch was in 2015, so that definitely would be on that list too. FFXV I am torn on, it was a good game, but with the bar being set so low after the last handful of FF games along with the incredibly long development time, it could have been a lot better.

Also only a console player, so any PC-focused games are not even on my radar. :p

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Surprised Tim and Greg weren't more hard on the Shadow of War micro-transactions, they even said it's essentially gambling for kids.

ghornett

Neo Member
It bothers me too. I hate the "that's the way it is in 2017" excuse. It's funny to watch big devs fall over themselves to pack as much of this in as possible and then the gaming media (who plays it all for free) say it's not that big of a deal.

I feel like more often than not KF usually just side with the company with the occasional "That's the way it is." whenever something potentially shitty comes up.

Just comes off as them not trying to ruffle any feathers.

While I agree that I'd prefer not to be asked to spend more money for loot chests in a single player experience, I think the market has shown that it really isn't that big of a deal. Lost sales due to the inclusion of micro transactions clearly aren't having a huge impact, which is why the games media don't have a strong, objective position to take.

That having been said, I appreciated Andrea's input on the topic yesterday. I agree with her that this starts to become a problem when it's affecting the creative vision of a project...and it's hard to argue that the creative vision of a narrative focused, single player experience would be to use RNG for cosmetic items or especially items/characters that impact gameplay, which is why this leaves me with a bad taste. I don't mind the loot system in games like Rocket League, Overwatch, etc where things are purely cosmetic for showing off online...but in a game where I'm playing alone offline, it seems odd to include a loot system designed to coax players into buying loot boxes or in-game currency.

Aside from that conversation...

What a turnaround for Kinda Funny Games for me these last few months. I was really down on a lot of their content in the fall/spring and found myself watching/listening much less frequently. Now with KFGD, KFGC, and Party Mode, I feel like I'm watching/listening to every piece of content KFGC puts up every week and I'm loving it.

Greg/Tim/Nick/Kevin/Andy/Joey/CoolGreg, if you guys are still checking in on this thread from time to time, fantastic job on the new content schedule and keep up the great work!

Maximo

Respect to Andrea for grilling Greg on the Nintendo Switch topic and if Nintendo has made a comeback, Understandably when your deep into a ecosystem you tend to handwave certain things or turn a blind eye and Greg was doing just that *Oh who cares if there are friend-codes or the online won't get any better no one cares nothing will change" And shes dam fucking straight we deserve better and Nintendo *should* do better not all of us are bending over for for every decision they make.

Respect to Andrea for grilling Greg on the Nintendo Switch topic and if Nintendo has made a comeback, Understandably when your deep into a ecosystem you tend to handwave certain things or turn a blind eye and Greg was doing just that *Oh who cares if there are friend-codes or the online won't get any better no one cares nothing will change" And shes dam fucking straight we deserve better and Nintendo *should* do better not all of us are bending over for for every decision they make.

Agreed. I do think that the Switch is Nintendo's comeback but don't agree that we should say "who cares" about things like friend codes, voice chat, etc.

The reason the Switch is a comeback is that it's an interesting piece of hardware with a seemingly steady flow of interesting software from the first party. Also, the third party support is a bit more promising with current year versions of FIFA/NBA/WWE rather than prior year ports and better indie support with the ability to run Unity and Unreal 4 software.

They obviously still have a ways to go on the OS side, but their hardware is solid and their first party games and third party relationships all seem to be on the upswing.

I feel like more often than not KF usually just side with the company with the occasional "That's the way it is." whenever something potentially shitty comes up.

I get this impression too sometimes. I know Colin is a polarizing figure, to say the least, around here, but one thing I really appreciated about him was his ability to look at these business practices from the perspective of the average joe who doesn't have tons of disposable income to buy whatever he wants. I don't remember the topic, but one time Greg claimed that by now everyone already owns both a PS4 and Xbox One, and Colin pointed out that not everyone has that kind of money to drop 800 bucks on consoles like that. I feel like sometimes Greg only sees things from his bubble of journalism, where he gets every new game for free. He admits it every now and then, but sometimes his arguments suffer because of it.

Lashley

u78hqIr.png

Pleased for Kevin. He holds his weight well imo, because he's never looked massive or obese.

It could be that, or it could be that they just don't care that much.

I don't care whose feathers I ruffle but I really don't give a shit if there's microtransactions in my games, for the most part. I always got the feeling it's the same for them.

It could be that, or it could be that they just don't care that much.

I don't care whose feathers I ruffle but I really don't give a shit if there's microtransactions in my games, for the most part. I always got the feeling it's the same for them.

Considered them ruffled.

Joking aside, it really depends on how they are implemented. If it is purely for cosmetics, sure. It becomes a problem once the affect the gameplay. An example: NBA 2K or NHL games. Where you could, at one time, purchase boosts or attribute points buy buying in game currency. I remember playing 2K16 on launch day and wanting to play online. Jumped in to The Court and couldn't help but notice that people were already maxed out. Pulls the fun out of the experience.

But if it is for a skin, no one is forcing anyone to buy it. If you want to put money into a game for that, more power to you.

gameovergreggy

Kinda Funny Games
Hey--

What's up, everybody?! Feelin' refreshed after finally getting a weekend again, and I'm already ahead on work for the day, so I thought I'd pop over here. My post is for everyone, of course, but it's aimed more at the lapsed Kinda Funny fan.

Today's the day to give us another shot.

I feel like we really turned a corner a few months ago at the first Town Hall/Kinda Funny Live 3, but every so often I see a post pop up about how people are still on a break from the content or that they miss how things used to be. To be clear, I love what we're doing, where we're at, and how we're communicating with you, but I understand that change is tough and everyone deals with it in their own way.

If you ever dug our stuff, I'd ask you to pop over and check out Troy Baker's GameOverGreggy Show, a fascinating Gamescast with Journey's Robin Hunicke/Tim's Sonic Review/Gen's Hellblade Review, and the latest Party Mode. This is the shit we love to make. You can see it in our eyes and hear it in our voices. We're never happier than when we're firing on all cylinders and making shows for you that we love.

So. Just a request from your friendly neighborhood Greggy.
Greg

Hey--

What's up, everybody?! Feelin' refreshed after finally getting a weekend again, and I'm already ahead on work for the day, so I thought I'd pop over here. My post is for everyone, of course, but it's aimed more at the lapsed Kinda Funny fan.

I feel like we really turned a corner a few months ago at the first Town Hall/Kinda Funny Live 3, but every so often I see a post pop up about how people are still on a break from the content or that they miss how things used to be. To be clear, I love what we're doing, where we're at, and how we're communicating with you, but I understand that change is tough and everyone deals with it in their own way.

If you ever dug our stuff, I'd ask you to pop over and check out Troy Baker's GameOverGreggy Show, a fascinating Gamescast with Journey's Robin Hunicke/Tim's Sonic Review/Gen's Hellblade Review, and the latest Party Mode. This is the shit we love to make. You can see it in our eyes and hear it in our voices. We're never happier than when we're firing on all cylinders and making shows for you that we love.

Greg

Hey Greg, glad to see you pop back in here! I had taken a break from some KF content for a bit at the beginning of the year but Party Mode and the new podcast formats on KFG have been excellent!

Some friends and I have been talking for a while about making some let's play videos for fun and some of the recent Party Modes finally inspired me to push the issue and we filmed our first content this past weekend! (now I just have to edit it...) So thanks for the inspiration and keep up the great work on the content!

Mezoly

Thanks Greg! The content has been very good. I'm surprised about how much I enjoy party mode because I normally don't watch let's plays.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Games Daily is great, but I can't keep up with daily shows like these anymore.

That being said I just jump in when I need a podcast for that day or want their feedback on something specific I know they will talk about.

Really love the show and definitely think they turned a corner with this show.

I don't agree with everything they say such as the micro transaction deal, but it's boring to be 100% in agreement 100% of the time.

I think Tim's doing better in KFGD now too keeping shit separate from the Gamescast.

Greg and Andrea opened a can of worms today on the podcast.

Youtube comments are turning into a political cesspool just like the days right after Colin left.

Oh boy.

Mezoly

Greg and Andrea opened a can of worms today on the podcast.

Youtube comments are turning into a political cesspool just like the days right after Colin left.

Oh boy.

On their best day, YouTube comments is a cesspool.
I haven't listened yet, but I'm glad they are not shying away from political topics related to gaming news.

Hey--

Greg
Thanks for stopping by, it means alot to us here!

_Isaac

PSX Early Bird Sale today got me thinking. I wonder if Kinda Funny is going to be at PSX this year now that PSILYXOXO is no longer with us. It was a fun show last year.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I must applaud their sense to make KFGD a podcast vs a live show.

Makes the show much more listenable, and then they can just grab corrections at the end.

What are they like? I'm no longer a Patron, but I'm curious if it's just them goofing off or attempting to talk about the game.

It's mostly Kevin and Cool Greg walking in NYC (and lots of riding the subway). They seem to be having a blast. The first one showed their flight to NYC and walking around. The second one featured more walking around (including a stop at a famous electronics store) and a WWE video game event, and third one had even more walking around and the actual WWE thing. One of them (can't remember which) had footage of a meet and greet.

Ancirawr

Hey--

Greg

Thanks for posting again Greg! Loved seeing you last year at SXSW and KFGD has been excellent, even with Danny being gone for huge stretches. I kinda always wanted a polished daily news show, so it's been fantastic for me. Keep up the great work 👍

Karu

What'd they say? I'm yet to watch it
You know what, change my "absolutely dead wrong" to "maybe wrong" :D But anyway, they doubted - based on WB's speak about the potential of Shadow of War - that it will be super successful (succesful, mind you), but not in a AssCreed-kinda way. I don't think they are necessarily right.

Lashley

You know what, change my "absolutely dead wrong" to "maybe wrong" :D But anyway, they doubted - based on WB's speak about the potential of Shadow of War - that it will be super successful (succesful, mind you), but not in a AssCreed-kinda way. I don't think they are necessarily right.

Yeah, I disagree. Game is going to do very well.

ST2K

I want it to bomb, but it's gonna do very well, I think.

Hopefully, critics will hammer on it appropriately so that they make corrections for the inevitable sequel. But I don't really trust them to do so.

Top Bottom