• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Underwhelmed by the Graphics on God of War Ragnarock!

The Shepard

£10 upgrade for 4k/60, welcome to the next gen.

Yea this is the problem. It looks like a very good ps4 pro game and your paying for the 4k 60fps. At least horizon 2 looks next gen. Let's hope they do more with the ps5 version before release. I remember god of war 3 on ps3 looking loads better at launch then the original reveal.

Last edited:
I agree. Looked the same to me.
And was I the only one who was hoping he’d get on top and control one of the huge monsters and then kill them in a gruesome way?
God of War 3 still hasn’t been topped imo
yXF1pFI.jpg

It is very much of the same for sure. Graphically as well as animations and combat. There also doesn't seem to be any new mechanics. But this is just a glimpse, so I do expect at least 1 game changing element in the game.

Regardless of its mediocre showing, it's still better than anything I've seen from Xbox by a large margin.

BigLee74

Looks fine to me? We are definitely at a point of diminishing returns, and graphics in general are probably as good as they are going to get within current budget/time/technology constraints.

There is nothing to complain about with Ragnarok, it looked very nice, showed gameplay it was easily the best thing at the showcase. Problem is everything else was pretty bad. SM2 looked impressive buts it's a cutscene no gameplay at all.

When you have all the Gaf fanboys claiming this showcase as the second coming and that PS Studios will destroy everyone else graphically, it just sets everything up for disappointment. GOW2 is very impressive IMO.

Learn to read instead of getting triggered every time someone criticizes your favorite company. I literally listed why its anti-consumer and you moronically asked me to explain again. Fucking idiotic.

And yes I whined like a little bitch when Phil went out and promised cross gen games for two years. Others swallowed his bs like good little girls but I dont give a shit if its nitnendo, sony or microsoft when it comes to cross gen. You inferring im some sort of Xbox fanboys for criticizing a cross gen game shows me everything I need to know about you.
Funny thing is Microsoft are moving to full next generation faster than Sony now, it's one hell of a turn around.

GymWolf

I am not shitting on the game. The Game looks good but lets face it. Some of you are such blind fanboys santa montica could take a shit in a box and some of you would love it.

I was expecting a true evolution of graphics. It's a slight mediocre upgrade. To people saying "it's the best looking game ever" or "holy shit it looks amazing" I got to ask if you share traits with this guy

A-30552-1451559463-6497.jpeg.jpg
Dont be so rude with them, they are still in the negatory phase.

GymWolf

It does look underwhelming grpahically, and this is why people who see no problem with cross gen piss me the fuck off.

Im sure it will look incredible when playing on an OLED, though, so I am still hyped as hell.

I just wanted another WOOOW moment. Horizon looks much better.

I bet the New IP Cory is working on will be what the A-Team is working on, also PS5 excluwive, and thats where the WOW will come in.

Still GOTY though.
Imagine putting your A team in something different than the sequel of sony most acclaimed game from past gen and gotg canditate for many people and journalists...

I hope this new ip is a fucking 20 mil copies megaton or they are gonna be pissed for their stupid ass choice...

Last edited:
I agree. Looked the same to me.
And was I the only one who was hoping he’d get on top and control one of the huge monsters and then kill them in a gruesome way?
God of War 3 still hasn’t been topped imo
yXF1pFI.jpg
I was hoping they would tease something like that. Kind of worried they're still not going to have a battle like that.

Yep, a year and a half after the launch of their shiny new console, sony is developing games targetting the ps4.

Hey, remember 7 years ago when a year an a half after the ps4 released we got bloodborne? Now we're getting uprezzed ps4 games.

Fucking conmen, they're selling a 500$ piece of kit and treating its customers as second rate suckers.

I should stop posting for some time, I'm seriously upset over this.... and you know the worst? by the time they start releasing proper ps5 games, the ps5 pro will be out! Sony business strategy makes the ps5 obsolete.

I am going to stop posting for a while.
Bloodborne never looked good visually, it was very average and had framerate issues, that may be heresy to some of you but I never found the game impressive visually at all.

I guarantee if you took a high Res Image from God Of War on ps4 pro and God of War Ragnarok on Ps5 it 's going to be hard to tell the difference. Either is not a bad looking game at all but with ps5 being almost 4x as powerful I thought I was going to have to change my pants after they showed Ragnarok.
I'm not going to try to compare screen grabs from a trailer, the game is going to be running in a higher native res than GOW 2018, it looks like the areas are larger and more detailed, the texture quality is better etc. Yeah it's cross-gen but if it was a PS5 exclusive and was originally targeting 2021 it likely wouldn't have pushed the console all that well anyway, how many year 1-2 games blow you away compared to what we get 3 years or more in? Also God of War 2018 was one of the best looking games of the generation so blowing that away was not going to happen for a long time.

Also to those talking about God of War 3, yeah the kills were fun but man that's the worst game in the series by far IMO, so much backtracking and content cut, Kratos looked great but most of the models looked really strange. The first 45 minutes were great but each boss battle was worse than the one before it and the game as a whole is just very average.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
It absolutely can work that way. Games get reworked to work on other hardware, even less powerful hardware all the time.
It´s a rather colossal waste of resources. If a rework becomes necessary the management has already fucked up royally.
Nope, these games were PS4 games from the start,.
With 110+million PS4s out there and a development start long before the PS5 had finalized specs that was to be expected.

Last edited:

Shmunter

The posted trailer outside of the live stream is a lot better, brings out a lot more detail in the environmental density, especially visible in the town area. 🧐

As someone who has been playing Gow as recently as this weak I can tell you it looks well beyond the ps4 pro version. Maybe you need some side by side comparisons dude coz there is a VERY clear difference.

Admittedly it's much more in line with the recent ps5 update but even then, textures and lighting are a fair step up from the last one.

It's hard to improve on what was one of the best looking games of all time without starting completely from scratch which would be a silly decision.

SpokkX

Looking at it again the main issue is clearly that the game will again be ”corridors” (for loading assets) with small areas between them

if it was ps5 exclusive the design would not be limited by slow storage and force this kind of design

frankly this was not a great showing. If you told me this was DLC for GoW I would have believed you

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Graphically it didn’t blow me away like the difference between Horizon 2 and Horizon 1 etc.
But it still looks sweet.

The scale of the game looks larger, seems like more NPC’s, populated areas, and it looks like already alot more enemy types.

I hope the rumours that the story is 40 hours long is true.

I‘ll be happy if they concentrated on making the game bigger and better instead of just prettier. The game needs more boss battles too, they have always been epic there just wasnt that many in GOW 2018.

GOW 2018 was a masterpiece, I hope they expand on it in everyway that made it special

Also I hope they finish the norse stuff ( as much as I like it ) and go to the next country ( Egypt, China, India, Japan, Scotland etc ) like mentioned in the GOW 2018 Tyre travels etc

Zathalus

It's kind of shocking that 1st party games will be cross-gen 3 years into a new consoles lifespan. Has that ever happened before? It would be the equivilant of Sony releasing a PS2 game in 2009 or a PS3 game in 2016.

I guess it's because, outside of the SSD, neither of the new consoles were such a massive jump from the previous generation.

FunkMiller

Like everybody else has said… it’s cross gen. It was never going to be comparable to something like Ratchet or DeS.

Rykan

Probably already been asked, but humour me and answer again - was it me or was that trailer 30fps? Didn't look 60 to me.
It wasn't. It's going to have a 60 fps /1440p mode and 30 fps/4k mode for sure.

Like everybody else has said… it’s cross gen. It was never going to be comparable to something like Ratchet or DeS.
I don't necessarily disagree, but Horizon: Forbidden West looks so much better than this.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Ratchet is already a step forward compared to demons, that one still has shit radicated from the past gen, just looks the majority of human models or even the big dragon that doesn't look one bit more detailed than the dragon in gow2018.

The locations having mostly high res textures and mayne the lights are what make that game so good looking but even compared to crossgen horizon it doesn't look fully nextgen imo.

ZywyPL

Banned
I am not shitting on the game. The Game looks good but lets face it. Some of you are such blind fanboys santa montica could take a shit in a box and some of you would love it.

I was expecting a true evolution of graphics. It's a slight mediocre upgrade. To people saying "it's the best looking game ever" or "holy shit it looks amazing" I got to ask if you share traits with this guy

The game does look great graphically, maybe it's not the best looking title on the planet since there are obvious cross-gen limitations, but the level of fidelity is really really high, just the fur on Kratos in the very first seconds is something most games can only dream about. The "problem" is that there is little if any upgrade compared to 2018 title, hence the "wow" factor is not there.

The game looks great.... I'll certainly pick up a Ps5 to play it at some point. Can't deny the graphics were a little underwhelming though. Wernt bad.... But it looked like a PS4 game with a 4k patch.

Yoboman

Why is a game that started dev in mid 2018, only 2.5 years from launch, a cross gen game in the first place? It's ANTI-consumer to all the PS5 owners who paid at a minimum $500 for Sonys console thinking gow was a PS5 title as it was originally revealed.

This is Sony's FIFTH launch. They have sold 150 million consoles before. They never gave two shits about those users after they launched their successors. They are shafting PS5 owners with games that literally look like PS4 games 2 full years after launching the PS5. Simply unacceptable.

Even third party studios have gone back and added ray tracing in games like control, doom, dmc and re8. Miles has better looking hair and ray tracing. this game literally looks identical to the ps4 version that came out years ago. Unacceptable.
They released GOW 2 in 2007 well after PS3 launched. GOW Ascension just months before PS4 came out. GT6 came out after PS4 launched on PS3

I think its more the cases Sony will keep supporting the old hardware but in generations past they didn't have the capability for simultaneous releases. That and development schedules are longer too

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
At the end of day were going to have to resign ourselves to the fact that no matter the leap in horsepower from PS4 to PS5, a lot of that additional horsepower is used up simply recreating 1440p/4k x 60fps.

2018 GOW was an absolute looker, i finished it about a month or two back on my LGCX and oftentimes i got up from the sofa to go over and take a look in close up at some of the insane graphics on display. It stands to reason that yes whilst this still looks great and a step above GOW on the Pro its not the leap i was expecting and judging from all that was shown off were not going to get that leap as seen with PS3 > PS4, yes maybe if the games targeted 1080p/30 we'd get the insane visual leap but who wants that, so what we get is a step up from the Pro running at higher resolutions/frame rates..

Maybe Naughty Dog will provide that visual leap, we've yet to see what they've been cooking and maybe once Santa Monica/Guerrilla games etc drop the PS4 support we'll start to see them really shine

Greggy

At the end of day were going to have to resign ourselves to the fact that no matter the leap in horsepower from PS4 to PS5, a lot of that additional horsepower is used up simply recreating 1440p/4k x 60fps.

2018 GOW was an absolute looker, i finished it about a month or two back on my LGCX and oftentimes i got up from the sofa to go over and take a look in close up at some of the insane graphics on display. It stands to reason that yes whilst this still looks great and a step above GOW on the Pro its not the leap i was expecting and judging from all that was shown off were not going to get that leap as seen with PS3 > PS4, yes maybe if the games targeted 1080p/30 we'd get the insane visual leap but who wants that, so what we get is a step up from the Pro running at higher resolutions/frame rates..

Maybe Naughty Dog will provide that visual leap, we've yet to see what they've been cooking and maybe once Santa Monica/Guerrilla games etc drop the PS4 support we'll start to see them really shine
I don't know, it being cross-gen probably doesn't help. I'd like to know what specs it's targeting. I thought the PS5 had more in its belly. The Pro is a midget next to it, figuratively and literally.
R & Clank looked more impressive and it's doing 60 with RT.
Don't know.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
By the time this comes out next year it'll probably look a lot more polished. Realistically its likely to be 9-12 months out which is a lot of time to tweak the visuals and fine-tune performance.

Tommi84

You do realise it was a 2min trailer of a game that is seemingly 40 hours? They can't show everything. That being said, I don't think we will what you asked for :(

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

no. We don't have to resign ourselves to anything. This is a last gen game running on a last gen engine. That's why it looks underwhelming.

Dont let greedy suits bring you down. Go look at some ue4 and ue5 demos. They look photorealistic.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
no. We don't have to resign ourselves to anything. This is a last gen game running on a last gen engine. That's why it looks underwhelming.

Dont let greedy suits bring you down. Go look at some ue4 and ue5 demos. They look photorealistic.
Yeah M8 but those are demos and are not running the multitude of behind the scenes systems that a full blown game does, and I don't think this is anything to do with greedy suits, developers want to push the best visuals, they want their artists to go wild but every pixel comes with a performance cost set by the hardware/game not some suit in an office

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah M8 but those are demos and are not running the multitude of behind the scenes systems that a full blown game does, and I don't think this is anything to do with greedy suits, developers want to push the best visuals, they want their artists to go wild but every pixel comes with a performance cost set by the hardware/game not some suit in an office
Graphics are not tied down by systems running in the background. The cpu handles those systems and these consoles have 8x more powerful CPUs.

We have already seen some stunning video games like ratchet. FIFA character models and especially the hair tech is next gen already.

This game looks underwhelming because it's designed to run on a 1.84 tflops gpu.

Whitecrow

Banned
I really wonder what those who say that GoW2018 looks so stunning, what other games have they seen.

GoW2018 have great art and that's it. Maybe even lots of geometry on the levels but the FoV ruins it all. I cant have any sense of place or immersion with it.

And again, I have an OLED and the TV doesnt make bad visuals look good by magic.
What a way to overblow things.

Synless

Don’t worry OP, I wasn’t impressed either. Looked like a more refined GoW on PS4. Horizon 2 looked far more impressive, which is surprising given it’s also cross gen.

Last edited:

thatJohann

Looks good enough. I’m sure it would look even better if it was PS5 exclusive but given the circumstances… that being said I never got into the first one. I guess I didn’t connect with Kratos. Found him unlikeable so I stopped playing.

skit_data

Gotta say;

Look at the trailer again in 4k. Its definitely a step up since the last game. The part when they are riding the boat through the city looks better than anything in God of War 2018. The detail level is much higher.

Rivet

It looks better, but God of War 2018 already often looks like a painting in motion. At some point, you can't make it a lot more beautiful if it's already extremely beautiful. Diminishing returns are here.

Art direction will be king for future games graphics, and here, it's really stellar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom