• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Underwhelmed by the Graphics on God of War Ragnarock!

RoboFu

One of the green rats

The game looks nearly identical to the last one. Everyone saying otherwise is totally delusionnal (and knows it deep inside)

its true.. this is GOW on PS4 pro. its the same engine. its the part 2 to first one runningont he same engine.. using the same systems.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Finsertcoin%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F04%2Fgod-of-war-new4.jpg

Bankai

Ow please... spoiled brat with your fancy raytracing and VXAO.

Back in the day we had to settle for this:
C64 Lemmings GIF

But in all seriousness, there's nothing to complain here. Game looks absolutely beautiful, with some of the best animation out there. PS5 will be a glorious 60fps, what more do you want?

Elysion

Banned
It seems the age of huge technical leaps on consoles is coming to an end. Of course, this has been the case on PC for a long time; the last big leap in technology there was probably Crysis back in 2007. Since then progress has been steady but incremental; and it looks like the same will also be true on consoles going forward.

But while a huge graphical jump would’ve been nice for GoW, I personally was actually much more disappointed in Gran Turismo 7. The few gameplay snippets we‘ve seen were not impressive at all, not even for a cross-gen game, and I don’t understand why. You’d think a racing game would be the perfect opportunity to flex some graphical muscle; after all, they’re only rendering a linear track with a bunch of cars, which should theoretically allow them to go all out with graphical effects. This was certainly true with racing games in the past, which traditionally used to be among the best looking games on any system, and especially with Gran Turismo on PS consoles. But I don’t see it with GT7 (and neither with GT Sport on PS4, tbh).

Do we know if this one is native 4k60?! That could slightly change my opinion about it.
It won’t really make much difference if so. Noticeably perhaps, but the checkerboard 4K at 60fps (since checkerboard looks better the higher the FPS) already is good. The 4k60 on days gone looks good as well.

GymWolf

It won’t really make much difference if so. Noticeably perhaps, but the checkerboard 4K at 60fps (since checkerboard looks better the higher the FPS) already is good. The 4k60 on days gone looks good as well.
I know, i recently replayed both days gone and gow on my ps5, but since it's crossgen and it doesn't look much better than vanilla gow, native 4k and rock solid 60 would be great.

Native is always better and since this one doesn't push ps5 for shit, at least they can push secondary things to make it look at his best.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why would that matter? I don’t have either yet. Does that mean I can’t have an opinion?

Because it seems people have lost their minds. You people don't seem to understand what "Cross-Gen" means. The game was ALWAYS going to be held back by the PS4. It's why me and so many other Playstation 5 owners were mad when Sony said it was cross-gen.

It is very much of the same for sure. Graphically as well as animations and combat. There also doesn't seem to be any new mechanics. But this is just a glimpse, so I do expect at least 1 game changing element in the game.

Regardless of its mediocre showing, it's still better than anything I've seen from Xbox by a large margin.
Forza graphics are superior to what we've seen of this so not really sure what you are looking at.

NEbeast

I was underwhelmed. The first is my GoTY. This looks like more of the same. It will be good but the showing was shockingly underwhelming. No Thor, no compelling narrative, no compelling combat choreography shown, no new gameplay shown.

It was basically a trailer showing off Boy after puberty and some lake shots.
It's not coming out for at least a year, wth were you expecting. The bigger reveals will come closer to launch.

Forspoken looked good but nothing mind blowing
Disagree. It had the largest World, fastest traversal with little to no pop in and spell / alpha effects not possible on last gen games. Only let down was facial animation but a lot of games will suffer from that due to recording facial capture restrictions due to covid.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The devs worked hard build the engine for GOW (2018), were you guys expecting to throw all that and build it ground up again!? That would be very unproductive.

The way I see it is it would give them chance to focus on things that actually matters like more enemy and boss types, more variety in environments instead of wasting time building graphics from ground up all over again.

Kazzz1896

Neo Member
I love God of War on the PLaystaiton 4. One of the best games made period! Infact I replayed it 2 months ago on my PS5.

The issue I have with the Trailer today is it did not wow me. In fact, it looks exactly like God of War on the ps4 pro. I was expecting graphics that dazzled me and really showed an evolotuion of the game but didn't see any of that in the trailer shown today. I know the game isn't finished and they didn't show much but it's unusual for a game to look dramatically different from it's initial game play reveal. I will no doubt be buying the game day 1 but kinda depressed the game doesnt look like a huge leap forward graphically.
I thought the same! Wasn’t impressed with the graphics!

Alebrije

Di not expected a big jump on graphics because GOW on PS4 looked above everything..

Also think they kept the new GOW R on PS4 because its the second part of the story. And PS4 owners deserve to end it.

Also thing that by 2025 will be a new GOW with the best PS5 can push ans even could be PS5 PRO.

Anyway GOWR will look and play gorgeous, no doubt.

Kupfer

Do you guys even remember

God of War from 2005
XpoduxO.jpg

VS

God of War 2 from 2007
zgn0ztk.jpg

Also same engine, not many improvements but still an awesome successor. These games both run on the PS2.
The new GoWs both run on a PS4s' from 2013 - 8 year old hardware.

I hope for the new GoW for much more variety in enemies, animations, landscapes, bosses and events and less boy.

its true.. this is GOW on PS4 pro. its the same engine. its the part 2 to first one runningont he same engine.. using the same systems.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Finsertcoin%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F04%2Fgod-of-war-new4.jpg

They don't need to literally re-invent the wheel. If it was already one of the greatest games from the last gen, so long as the story and adventure and new areas are worthy of a sequel, I don't see what the problem is. I always say people don't seem to appreciate going on new adventures in games anymore. New stories to be told makes it worthwhile. New enemies, new characters, new discoveries makes games like this worth it.

Seems all people seem to want is just a raw visual showcase irrelevant of the actual quality of the game itself. Maybe they won't be reinventing the entire wheel on this one or massively overhauling the engine (remains to be seen because they don't even have a date yet, meaning they have time), but what we will be getting is something fully realized and polished, which is what people should want.

I love me some graphical marvels also, but isn't a better game more important than simply knocking your socks off graphically? And people shouldn't kid themselves into thinking this game isn't going to be a stunner on release. It already looks fantastic in my eyes. Maybe not as next gen as some people would have wanted, but the game is far from finished. It literally doesn't even have a year yet. And the trailer wasn't the best way to show the game, but they have time. That is all.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
They don't need to literally re-invent the wheel. If it was already one of the greatest games from the last gen, so long as the story and adventure and new areas are worthy of a sequel, I don't see what the problem is. I always say people don't seem to appreciate going on new adventures in games anymore. New stories to be told makes it worthwhile. New enemies, new characters, new discoveries makes games like this worth it.

Seems all people seem to want is just a raw visual showcase irrelevant of the actual quality of the game itself. Maybe they won't be reinventing the entire wheel on this one or massively overhauling the engine (remains to be seen because they don't even have a date yet, meaning they have time), but what we will be getting is something fully realized and polished, which is what people should want.

I love me some graphical marvels also, but isn't a better game more important than simply knocking your socks off graphically? And people shouldn't kid themselves into thinking this game isn't going to be a stunner on release. It already looks fantastic in my eyes. Maybe not as next gen as some people would have wanted, but the game is far from finished. It literally doesn't even have a year yet. And the trailer wasn't the best way to show the game, but they have time. That is all.

I do not care myself. I think the issue is that sony just showed a teaser image last time so everyone was thinking it was goingot be a PS5 blow out tech wise like GOW was on PS4. They should have showed an actual short vid instead of that teaser image back then to set expectations.

Last edited:
GOW for PS4 was already pushing out incredible visuals, the character models are premium goods, there is only so much that you can do to make a game look visually superior in this current age as we are well within the point of diminishing returns.

it still looks pretty damn good buy yeah its designed around ps4 and will get a nice polish and resolution boost for ps5. i was more disapointed in the 3rd party showing. there was nothing that looked special. everyone seems so reluctant to leave the ps4 behind and develop exclusively for the current gen.

Forza graphics are superior to what we've seen of this so not really sure what you are looking at.
The environments in Forza look great, the cars though look like toys. Besides that, there's not much interactivity in Forza. Forza also doesn't have to do with naarative design, character design, monster design, combat design, motion capture, animation, voice acting etc.

Ow please... spoiled brat with your fancy raytracing and VXAO.

Back in the day we had to settle for this:
C64 Lemmings GIF

But in all seriousness, there's nothing to complain here. Game looks absolutely beautiful, with some of the best animation out there. PS5 will be a glorious 60fps, what more do you want?
Game looks good but no one
can Deny it looks identical.

The environments in Forza look great, the cars though look like toys. Besides that, there's not much interactivity in Forza. Forza also doesn't have to do with naarative design, character design, monster design, combat design, motion capture, animation, voice acting etc.
Lol toy. Forza Horizon 5 cars look better than any racing game out there.

Do you guys even remember

God of War from 2005
XpoduxO.jpg

VS

God of War 2 from 2007
zgn0ztk.jpg

Also same engine, not many improvements but still an awesome successor. These games both run on the PS2.
The new GoWs both run on a PS4s' from 2013 - 8 year old hardware.

I hope for the new GoW for much more variety in enemies, animations, landscapes, bosses and events and less boy.

Absolutely loved GOW 2 and 3.

Finished GoW 2 in 2009 and GoW 3 in 2010

Having said that, I don't ever want to play combat heavy games ever again now I'm almost 40.

Could handle it in my 20s but not now

Last edited:
You do realise it was a 2min trailer of a game that is seemingly 40 hours? They can't show everything. That being said, I don't think we will what you asked for :(
If they would have included a jaw dropping moment similar to God of War 3 in this trailer it would’ve made me hopeful that Ragnarok , when released, will be FULL of jaw dropping moments with call backs to the old God of Wars. THATS what was missing for me in the 2018 version.

Hunnybun

I'm sure part of the reason people are underwhelmed is because of just how good the original game looked.

I played through it on the PS5 a few months ago and - for the most part - it's easily the most next gen looking PS4 game. There are lots of areas where it's hard to imagine how you could improve it. So it's really kind of inevitable that the sequel would struggle to blow away the original in all respects.

But there are still lots of shots in the trailer that look way, WAY better than anything in the original.

In particular, the scene where he's looking out over Midgard from above - and I'm still maintaining this - basically looks like the most next gen visuals so far. Certainly in terms of photorealistic graphics, anyway. The original game had loads of points at which they could have had some kind of amazing vista like that if they could have produced it, but they never even attempted it. I honestly don't know how they'll reproduce that on a PS4, but then the same is true of Horizon 2 and FH5 so maybe scaling this stuff isn't as hard as it seems.

The scene where he's pushing the boat into the water is much better than anything in the original.

The detail and draw distance in the village looks absolutely next gen to me, certainly much better than anything equivalent in the original.

The first fight scene with the wide shot with detail and geometry everywhere you can see, and stretching way into the distance, again much better than anything equivalent in the original.

It's not like I'm some crazed PS fanboy. I thought Forspoken looked largely shit; the GT7 trailer was really poor; I always thought Demon's Souls looked mediocre (and said at the time that the original GOW looked much better, btw); I think Forza Horizon 5 looks fantastic. And I'd agree that Guerrilla looks like they've taken more care to make sure the PS5 version of Horizon looks comprehensively next gen (the character models look much better than what I imagine is possible on the PS4).

But overall, I think this looks amazing.

Sygma

People said the same about Forbidden West, can't take any of this shit seriously

PS5 Pro will be the starting point of the gen anyway

Do we know if this one is native 4k60?! That could slightly change my opinion about it.
Why it should be native 4K60 when they have a incredibly good CBR implementation in this game? It's very probably going to be the same res as GOW on PS4, Pro and PS5, so 4K CBR 60fps.

You know Gow on PS5 is already one of the best looking game there. No need for a "native" resolution. You know what game has a "4K native 60fps" resolution? Halo Infinite demo they shown.

Top Bottom