• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Thread: YOU are the controller!

Alx

Could be fun. I didn't expect the avatars though... coming from Ubi Soft I expected a specific design for the game. But now that I think about it, compared to characters in Fighters Uncaged, avatars will be ok. :)

Looks all right, the dramatic music + avatars is kind of funny

JaggedSac said:
I didn't think anyone could make avatars do anything violent to one another. Or was that just for indie devs?
No guns. They box in Kinect Sports so as long as its kind of cartoony it's OK.

RedStep

JaggedSac said:
I didn't think anyone could make avatars do anything violent to one another. Or was that just for indie devs?

Half/Half. They can be violent, but not offensive.

"Cartoon violence is allowed as long as there's no blood, gore, dismemberment, decapitation, maiming, or mutilation. An example of allowable injuries includes injuries that might befall an avatar in a sporting event such as American football. Avatars can die temporarily to depict failure."

Mdk7

Looks kinda good, i'm interested!

Also, the heroes are adorable!
screenshot_252038.jpg

Chrange

Banned
UFC Fact Sheet said:
• CUSTOMIZABLE WORKOUT ROUTINES – Focus on specific fitness objectives by building personalized routines with up to 12 different exercises. Each custom routine can also be modified to increase or decrease intensity of the game’s pre-set pace, enabling players to fully maximize their training experiences based on individual preferences.

I'm going to do the Kongo routine, where there's no cardio at all.

jax (old)

Banned
AUS big w has kinect for $112 or thereabouts. I bought one.

:O

Mx x360 will probably RROD because it hasn't been turned on for months and its a launch unit too.

Btw this and dance central, and gears 3, it should be getting plenty of play time. Also have Alan Wake incoming.

* since mine is an old school X360, what sort of power supply do I need to buy? Really hoping I can use the one from the HDdvd addon.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
BTW the MJ game is pretty cool. better than the wii version by far. i havent played a ton but if you guys have questions i might be able to answer them

starsky

CB3 said:
BTW the MJ game is pretty cool. better than the wii version by far. i havent played a ton but if you guys have questions i might be able to answer them

Does the game have a mode where player can just dance but not sing, or is it dance+sing all the time? Do you need microphone to sing?
Also if you can tell us more about your experience, that would be great.

bakemono said:
Does the game have a mode where player can just dance but not sing, or is it dance+sing all the time? Do you need microphone to sing?
I don't think the game involves singing at all. I've played the demo and it was just a dancing game.

CB3

bakemono said:

it seems to differ from song to song. some songs have a Dance Mode, Performance Mode, and Master mode. Performance is both. i think you can choose dance mode and not sing. but not just only sing and not dance. Apparently you can use the kinect Mic for the singing. I used a rock band 2 mic.

The game is pretty impressive. ive seen some people say the projection of yourself was laggy, but not from my experience. there is an ever so slight delay but its not an issue to me.

The Dance moves scroll up on the bottom right corner. Its tougher than Dance Central because its alot smalled and the moves are more complex than what can be described in two picture frames. it would have been better using more of the screen like the do in dance central but i can see that they were trying to minimize the UI to heighten the experience of actually being in the video. I recognize some of the moves from his video's/performances/ obviously they cant be frame for frame copies with the limited space which means they throw in other moves like in the wii version.

The singing is timing based. which in my opinion makes it a little more fun than the singing in rock band where you have to concentrate on pitch. With a wired mic it makes some of the parts where you have to go from singing to dancing or vice versa tough because sometimes the cord will get in the way.

Seems like there will be DLC at some point. there is no option in game but it has the DLC thing on the back of the box and it checks for your setlist when you start up the game.

Overall it is pretty much dance central. some things are worse, some things are better. basically evens out. Good game to play with friends, or if your a fan of MJ

CB3

they arent really video's. more close to stage performances. sometimes they have parts of the video playing in the background

Shaneus

Ah, awesome. As a budget-ish title it definitely seems like a should-buy. Hopefully it has better DLC support than the last single-artist music game I bought, Beatles Rock Band.

jax (old)

Banned
Kafel said:
it's included in the box

have fun

InaudibleWhispa said:
If you bought Kinect alone and not in a bundle, it should come with its own.

awesome. thanks. I was reading 2nd hand items (for the kinect) for the pricedrop and some said it had no power supply. I guess these came with the new X360 consoles. Mine should have the power supply then.

:)

I'm super hyped for dance central.

Raide

Power Up Heroes looks really interesting. A genuinely fun and original idea for Kinect. Fancy that eh Ubi!

Also, really tempted to pick up a Kinect from GAME. £80 is a bargain, so I might have to dive in so I am ready for the E3 onslaught. :D

Shaneus

onQ123 said:
Michael Jackson The Experience Kinect gameplay videos

looks good reminds me of Your Shape Fitness Evolved
Um, other than that being more like Dance Central, that looks like a massive amount of fun. Really like the effect of using the video camera to get more than just a depth silhouette of the player... looks nuts.

Definitely buying... once I get my Kinect replaced.

PowerUp Heroes looks well done, too. Not sure whether I'd buy it, but seems to be a good use of tech.

bryehn said:
Uh you mean Dance Central. I just started it and it's a DC clone to the core. Seems way better than the other versions.
I think he means that it seems to be using the Your Shape engine, with the same menu system, player projection and the same box for the player to stand in.

TheOddOne

Lionhead Working On Multiple Kinect Ideas
Mike West, Senior Designer at Lionhead has told NowGamer that despite the lack of Kinect compatibility in Fable III, the studio is "completely embracing" Microsoft's motion recognition peripheral.

Lionhead recently had a creative day in which staff could pitch new ideas, and despite long-standing Kinect/Natal project Milo and Kate seemngly destined never to get a commercial release, Kinect is still overwhelmingly popular at the studio.

"Basically the whole company was allowed a couple of days to come up with any ideas that they wanted to," West told NowGamer. "So we had the cinema for a day and there were 35 different presentations – you could make anything you wanted - and I think over half of them were Kinect.''

"There were just some amazing... I can’t go into anything that was done there, I’m hoping that at some point we’ll release some of it. There are talks about it, and maybe we’ll be able to show what we’ve come up with online. There were some great things. This was all two days work, and I didn’t know anything that was coming out – there was some amazing stuff. As a company we’re completely embracing it."

West specified one example as a platform game that used Kinect. "Again I can’t talk about them, but there was one [mechanic] in a platform game which I hadn’t seen before – and it was using Kinect, a whole new element of Kinect we could use."

bryehn

InaudibleWhispa said:
I think he means that it seems to be using the Your Shape engine, with the same menu system, player projection and the same box for the player to stand in.

In that case, yes. The menus, required 9-10 feet floor space and arms getting chopped off when held up are all in there.

TheOddOne

Microsoft promises more from Kinect at E3
New first party gaming experiences will lead innovation for motion camera this year
Format holder Microsoft is ramping up its support for Kinect with a raft of new games and innovations.

The firm already has a host of first party titles in different genres such as Kinect Sports, Dance Central and Kinectimals, but has plans to announce a line-up of brand new titles as early as E3 this year.

“I can guarantee that Rare and all of our other studios are looking at what we’re doing on Kinect and coming up with some amazing new experiences that people will love,” Microsoft’s UK GM for retail sales and marketing Neil Thompson told MCV. “That’s what we’re focusing on.”

Rare’s studio manager Scott Henson said: “We’ve got E3 coming up, and there’ll be lots of exciting things happening there.”

The first-party Microsoft developer also hinted we’ll soon see Kinect’s next wave of games which will take the technology to a new level. And Rare wants to be leading the charge.

“As a first party studio, our job is to lead innovation on the platform,” added Henson. “We take that seriously, and you’ll see plenty from us in the coming months. I’m sure you’ll see loads from third-party too.”
#hypetrainwillcrashandburn

onQ123

bryehn said:
Uh you mean Dance Central. I just started it and it's a DC clone to the core. Seems way better than the other versions.

Shaneus said:
Um, other than that being more like Dance Central, that looks like a massive amount of fun. Really like the effect of using the video camera to get more than just a depth silhouette of the player... looks nuts.

Definitely buying... once I get my Kinect replaced.

PowerUp Heroes looks well done, too. Not sure whether I'd buy it, but seems to be a good use of tech.

how is this more like Dance Central besides the fact that it's a Dance game?

MJE for the Wii & PlayStation Move is more like Dance Central than the Kinect game , this is more like Your Shape but you're dancing & singing.

look at the game this has to be the same game engine as Your Shape.

Top Bottom