• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Thread: YOU are the controller!

Oh yeah, I forgot there was a demo. I was going to record some footage but decided it might be a bit creepy seeing a 6'2", 24 year old running around the room chasing imaginary pets. lol

Raide

MonkeyKnuckle said:
Oh yeah, I forgot there was a demo. I was going to record some footage but decided it might be a bit creepy seeing a 6'2", 24 year old running around the room chasing imaginary pets. lol

:D

Damn, I spent ages yesterday playing with Kinectimals. Teaching my Niece the controls means I have to play it as well. Not my type of game but full of charm and cuteness.

I would pay money to see a review like that. :D Especially having to show your excitement while playing.

Snuggler said:
Just curious, what is the state of Kinect and XBLA? I remember hearing something about restrictions, but it seems like such a great venue for Kinect games.

I don't know which restrictions you're referring to, but Gunstringer is an XBLA game. I suppose more announcements will follow at E3.

Snuggler said:
Just curious, what is the state of Kinect and XBLA? I remember hearing something about restrictions, but it seems like such a great venue for Kinect games.
I'm not sure about any restrictions, but The Gunstringer, Doodle Jump and possibly Angry Birds are going to be XBLA games.

Ashodin

Well it looks like the Kinect version of Child of Eden will be the only version. Just got the email today that it's cancelled for the PS3.

Kafel

Banned
Maxrpg said:
Well it looks like the Kinect version of Child of Eden will be the only version. Just got the email today that it's cancelled for the PS3.

hmmm e-mail from who? You're sure it's not just a release date that moved?

if true, even more people will looooove Kinect haha

TheOddOne

Kafel said:
hmmm e-mail from who? You're sure it's not just a release date that moved?

if true, even more people will looooove Kinect haha
If its true then its the worse thing Ubisoft has done in a while, fucking toying with PS3 only users is fucking disgracefull.

TheOddOne said:
If its true then its the worse thing Ubisoft has done in a while, fucking toying with PS3 only users is fucking disgracefull.

Agreed. I don't care for the PS3 version personally, but that would be such fucking bullshit.

Not the first time for Ubisoft, however.

Ashodin

I'm sure my other GameStop GAFers can confirm as well (possibly new topic thread? I can't make it or I would have in the first place).

I took a picture but I'm not sure I should post it since I don't want to lose my job.

FrankT

Maxrpg said:
I'm sure my other GameStop GAFers can confirm as well (possibly new topic thread? I can't make it or I would have in the first place).

I took a picture but I'm not sure I should post it since I don't want to lose my job.

Gamestop eh. You sure it simply wasn't the whole it's coming, but later kind of thing as was originally the case.

Maxrpg said:

Hmm if you're 100% sure about this I'll make a thread as long as you don't mind me using you as a source. Picture shouldn't be necessary.

The exact wording of the email would be nice though.

RedStep

Jtyettis said:
Gamestop eh. You sure it simply wasn't the whole it's coming, but later kind of thing as was originally the case.

Interesting, as of right now only the Xbox/Kinect version is listed on their website (with a free poster!). It seems to me that it may be true, or the PS3 version may be so far off that they delisted it for now.

Gamestop doesn't delist anything that they can get pre-order for.

On another note, Netflix implementation of Kinect is pure crap. It's like well let add this so we can say we have add Kinect functionality to Netflix.

FrankT

antiquegamer said:
Gamestop doesn't delist anything that they can get pre-order for.

On another note, Netflix implementation of Kinect is pure crap. It's like well let add this so we can say we have add Kinect functionality to Netflix.

Yea I just tried this what the crap? No voice options like ESPN3. That was the whole point of wanting it. Please put in the voice options.

MonkeyKnuckle said:
I'm going to have reviews of MJ: The experience and Fantastic Pets soon. I'll stick links in here when they're written and uploaded.

I gave Fantastic Pets to one of my writers who has kids and he says they're enjoying it and it's not actually that bad. Obviously they will be more details in the review.

Haven't even played MJ: The experience yet, had it since Tuesday, I have to move my Kinect so it will work properly, looks pretty good though.

Picked this up last night. First impressions are VERY positive. Ubisoft took their time bringing this out, and now that I've played it, I can see why.

1. Ubi clearly took a lot of cues from Dance central. Gone is the on-screen MJ actor, replaced now by a variety of MJ Professional dancers. Like DC, MJE has the move-list bar scrolling on the right of the screen. Ghost dancers on either side of you complete a section of moves that you mimic. The result is a smooth simon-says that's a little more seamless than Dance Central's sometimes stitched together canned animation routines.

UbiSoft has GREATLY improved the programming for capturing your motion, too. I'm in a moderately-lit situation with slightly less than 6 feet of area from sensor to body. In easy mode, the game is forgiving, but picks up my movements perfectly. Again, very DC-like.

2. The game offers an extremely comprehensive 'dance school' where the choreographers teach you section-by-section (ala Dance Central), all of MJ's famous routines from each incredible music video. Be warned, these moves are a LOT more complicated than anything in Dance Central. That said, it's highly fulfilling completing an actual Michael Jackson song. Once you've finished your one-on-one sections with the choreographers, you can go on to the solo mode or party mode. My wife dug the hell out of the wii version, but was taken aback by MJE Kinect forcing you to do the actual moves. Whereby you could cheat with the Wiimote and wave your way through most routines, on Kinect, be prepared to move. There's a steep learning curve, and the Dance school becomes imperative if you plan to master the game.

So far,'the school's only drawback, is unlike DC, there's no way to pause and slow down each individual section so that you'll get the moves right. The dancers fly through each bit as if you're already trained. You'll get it eventually, but without the finely-tuned mechanic of pause, rewind, slow down, and replay-based incremental learning of Dance Central, MJE's tutorial simply isn't as slick. You'll simply have to start from the beginning of each of the numerous micro-sections...which can be tedious.

3. The big attraction is the Performance Mode. If you're a fan of MJ's music (and this is something that I really wanted in an R&B sequel to Def Jam Rapstar), MJE gives you the opportunity to just dance, sing and dance, or do a master performance of any of the numerous MJ tracks. While i didn't get the chance to try the Master Performance, the Sing and Dance (called performance), is a workout and incredibly fun.

Basically, you begin by dancing, and during parts of the song, you stop being graded for your athletics, and given an opportunity to score for your vocal chops. It's like the Freestyle portion of Dance Central when the camera takes video of the user, speeds up the music, and plays it back for casual laughs.

In MJE, the section goes Karaoke ala Def Jam Rapstar. Like Rapstar, the tech grades your performance pitch and adherence to the lyrics displayed on the screen. It's a great way of keeping you engaged as the song continues, and if that's not your cup of tea, simply turn it off and go back to strictly dancing.

There's a fantastic mix of the biggest MJ hits (Beat it, Thriller, Billie Jean, Remember The Time), all accurately replicating the venues from the music videos. This is less like a static backdrop, ala Just Dance or the MJE Wii version, but more like what Guitar Hero and Rock Band did with their backgrounds. Overall, it's very splashy and full of polish.

To be honest, i'm enjoying this a lot more than Dance Central. To be fair, I connect more to the MJ songs than to the wilder (and wider) assortment in Harmonix's game.

There are enough of the user interface bells and whistles that MJE borrowed from DC (and from their successful Your Shape: Fitness Evolved), that the game will feel familiar to you if you enjoyed either title. MJE certainly feels like a 'generation 2' go for Ubisoft at Kinect. So far, the controls are incredibly responsive, and if you need to adjust any of the settings for your Kinect, you can optimize them at any point from the stiff-arm 90 degree pause menu.

Again, this really is a first impression, but my wife enjoyed the hell out it. Moreso, I think, than she did Dance Central, which i bought for her.

Then again, she's also got the Thriller album hanging in our bathroom wall.

If you're fan of MJ's music, this is probably the version of the Michael Jackson Experience to hang your hat on.

Aruarian Reflection said:
Are the in-game routines actually that detailed? I can't seem to find any Youtube videos of the game being played at high difficulty.

You can't change the difficulty on the songs. Each song has a set difficulty.

I've written a review of it, I won't post a link as I don't want to be thought as spamming. I gave it a 4/5, 8/10, 80% or however you want to look at it.

I will however, against my better judgement, post a video of me playing a couple of songs....I'll probably regret this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga25bqNK7Sc

KamenSenshi

PowerUp Heroes looks awesome. Wonder if you can call your attacks? Wish I could have a Power Rangers game where I have to do their morph call. I wonder how many powers you can choose from on PuH.

Alx

KamenSenshi said:
Wish I could have a Power Rangers game where I have to do their morph call.

Maybe it's a bit old now and it would probably feel ridiculous, but I wonder if someone could try to make a kinect game based on Saint Seiya, where you would have to perform their complicated dances to launch special attacks :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kwCNivalaQ&feature=related

I know that my 13 years old self would have been all over it. Maybe not so much now. :D

Shaneus

Alx said:
Maybe it's a bit old now and it would probably feel ridiculous, but I wonder if someone could try to make a kinect game based on Saint Seiya, where you would have to perform their complicated dances to launch special attacks :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kwCNivalaQ&feature=related

I know that my 13 years old self would have been all over it. Maybe not so much now. :D
Haven't checked the link, but holy hell how good would an Ouendan-esque game be? Or even just a dancing game in the form of Ouendan...

Raide

KamenSenshi said:
PowerUp Heroes looks awesome. Wonder if you can call your attacks? Wish I could have a Power Rangers game where I have to do their morph call. I wonder how many powers you can choose from on PuH.

Looks really interesting. Need a demo of that to see how the combat works. Looks like it could be a Rock, Paper, Scissors type of game where you use different abilities and moves to counter what is thrown at you. Really hope they have a 2 v 2 online mode.

Also, it needs some kind of custom character thing where we can make super heroes to battle as, not just the 8 or so pre-set ones. Taking the Marvel Online stuff and add it to a fighting game.

Raide said:
Really hope they have a 2 v 2 online mode.

Also, it needs some kind of custom character thing where we can make super heroes to battle as, not just the 8 or so pre-set ones.
It does have 2 v 2 online, as well as 1 on 1 local and 1 vs 1 online showdown. In terms of custom character, it uses your avatar so I guess that is fully customisable. Your avatar wears a suit which gives it special powers. There are 20 suits (announced), and you steal someone else's by beating them.

Raide

InaudibleWhispa said:
It does have 2 v 2 online, as well as 1 on 1 local and 1 vs 1 online showdown. In terms of custom character, it uses your avatar so I guess that is fully customisable. Your avatar wears a suit which gives it special powers. There are 20 suits (announced), and you steal someone else's by beating them.

Excellent! Will keep an eye on it then.

JaggedSac said:
huluplus1024pxgalleryimg.jpg

kinecthub1024pxgalleryimg.jpg

Rushed to update my Xbox 360 kinect stuff just because of this post. There's no HULU. Went to the HULU site and it says that Xbox 360 isn't supported yet. What kind of shenanigans is this??? How did you get Hulu on your Xbox 360??? Yes, i'm a HULU Plus member...

Alx

I think there's room for improvement on their "wearable kinect" solution. :D

But the wall panic game looked interesting indeed. Raw, simple fun.

Raide

I was hoping they would add that painting demo they showed off. That looks fun.

Had another good day with Kinect. Playing some Adventures with my Family and my friends family online. It was nice to see the seamless online work well and the voice chat stuff was fun too. Amazing how utterly tired you can get hopping around. I think I got more of a workout with Kinect Adventures than pretty much any game on the Wii.

Picked up a copy of Your Shape but have not jumped into it too much. Done the basic tests and that seems like a good workout but I will need to see the more advanced stuff.

I think DC is the nest pickup for me, since I have already spent ages playing the Demo.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
How do you turn off the little hand-wave recognition? So sick of that little icon coming on during Twin Peaks when we're literally sitting completely still and then coming on ten more times.

onQ123

Use Kinect Voice Control To Move Your Boat In Top Angler: Real Bass Fishing

op Angler: Real Bass Fishing is a game that was published for the PlayStation 2 and Gamecube by Sims back in 2002. Now, Japanese developer, InterOne, are developing a version of Top Angler for Kinect.

Top Angler: Bass Fishing has you using motions to fish, of course, but it also has a few other neat features. For one, you can have your facial features reflected in your in-game character. While in your boat, you control it using voice commands, such as “back,” or “forward” or “left” or “right”. Zooming in and out can either be performed using voice commands or by leaning your body forward or backward.

There’s an amusing photo-capturing feature as well. Once you manage to catch a big fish, you can pose in front of the Kinect and the game will combine your picture and the fish.

Rare just posted a new Calorie Challenge screen on Facebook and for some reason I really like it.

201259_2076814859165325z83.jpg

Thank you for blue skies, Rare!

By the way, looking at their Wall Photos album I realized why there was Crackdown agent art in that artist's portfolio - he was an unlockable character in Perfect Dark XBLA.

Raide

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Rare just posted a new Calorie Challenge screen on Facebook and for some reason I really like it.

Thank you for blue skies, Rare!

By the way, looking at their Wall Photos album I realized why there was Crackdown agent art in that artist's portfolio - he was an unlockable character in Perfect Dark XBLA.

I hope we can unlock the suits for normal play. Playing table tennis as a Banana and then air-humping to victory, could be the best thing that has happened to gaming.

jax (old)

Banned
so picked up kinect as posted a few days ago.

Impressions.

KAdventures.
alright i guess. I played a bit. Its nice looking

Dance Central.
LOVING this. I'm terrible at it but I had friends over and we had a riot playing this. Very amusing/fun.

* just watched the MJ experience video posted above. I prefer the way the PS3 version and how it looks but the kinect version is definitely the definitive version what with feet control + whatnot. It does seem like they totally ripped of Harmonix's interface + way the game presents information.

Academy Award winning visual designer John Gaeta (Matrix Trilogy, Speed Racer) and his company FLOAT have been working on a Kinect title since 2009, it has been revealed by a job posting on GamaSutra. Since forming in 2009, FLOAT has been doing "advanced work exploring the potential of NUI based experiences viable with KINECT and other emergent motion platforms."

They are seeking staff for current and future projects including a "seasoned Lead Engineer who has the skills and experience to drive the technology and engineering efforts of a new, truly innovative Kinect title" where they will "work closely with a small, dedicated team of engineers, artists and designers to make the next BIG Xbox 360 Kinect title".

Also Kotaku claim to have been forwarded a survey unveiling Star Wars Kinect gameplay which includes Pod Racing and controlling a Rancor.

Should be an interesting E3.

Top Bottom