• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King.com also going after The Banner Saga

fade_

I'm sure its been stated before but the irony in that candy crush is a huge bejeweled rip off is almost making my mind implode.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Though they're only going to attack game that have similarity with them and use word candy as well.
Now Banner Saga!? Holy shit, that is nasty stuff

BossLackey

Gold Member
Not only does this not make any kind of sense, but this is only going to negatively effect them. There is no other outcome.

Shengar

Okay, now this is getting beyond ridiculous. Are you planning to SquareEnix too, King for their use of word Saga on their games? I would like to see you try against the big boys.

They also have The Banner Saga: Factions which came out early last year.

This is actually what frightens me the most about King's legal action. Factions is a free-to-play multiplayer offshoot of The Banner Saga with microtransactions. I could see a case where a judge ruled that game was too similar to King's games and invalidated Stoic's trademark filing based on that.

HoosTrax

Well. King went from merely spewing out derivative, creatively bankrupt crap capitalizing on the masses, to being an active detriment to my gaming hobby.

Don't worry King, no indie developer in their right minds would want to be associated with you or any of your IP.

900bv

Banned
I would love to see PopCap slaughter these fuckers. They've ripped off Bejeweled and Peggle, and also Puzzle Bubble if Taito/Square Enix want to get involved.

I'm sure its been stated before but the irony in that candy crush is a huge bejeweled rip off is almost making my mind implode.

Well that's the thing. They can't sue anyone for having similar style games or stealing their concept because theirs is rip-off in itself.

Slightly amazed they're even attempting to go for the name. I mean, surely the 'Saga' bit is the least memorable part. Looking at their portfolio they're clearly trying to franchise it, but surely most know it as 'That Candy Game'.

Either way I take satisfaction from the fact that they won't get much out of this. Stop a few people from using 'Saga', maybe, but I can't see this game lasting out the year before being replaced by something even more basic and mass-appealy.

I just wonder how the legal department is able to convince the king.com's bosses that this will be worth it. Because this nonsense is "all in" evil company stuff.
It's hard gaining your customers trust back after you've gone dark-side.

Working on a write-up for this now. Going after the Candy Swirl Slot Wacky SEO Deluxe is one thing, but going after Banner Saga is clearly using their trademark enforcement for evil.

soultron

Banned
This is such bullshit. Protecting your IP against countless clones using your name and gameplay? Sure.

Attacking a totally different game, made for a totally different audience and device? Bullshit.

Mattias

Banned
This is such bullshit. Protecting your IP against countless clones using your name and gameplay? Sure.

Attacking a totally different game, made for a totally different audience and device? Bullshit.

Yeah this is BS. Im fine with King shutting down the obvious copy cats but this is not ok.

Kriken

And... uninstalling Candy Crush from my tablet. This is really despicable of them if I'm reading this correctly

soultron

Banned
Yeah this is BS. Im fine with King shutting down the obvious copy cats but this is not ok.

This entire thing is fucked because if smaller devs (especially indie and/or mobile studios) get caught in the crossfire and cannot defend themselves legally, they're forced to change their work that may not even bear any art/gameplay similarity to CCS other than using one of the three words they've tried to lay claim to.

HoosTrax

I hate to condone hacking, but sometimes, I wish those guys would direct their energy towards semi-worthwhile causes, instead of causing grief for people trying to play LoL or w/e. This would be one of those times.

Oriel

I hate to condone hacking, but sometimes, I wish those guys would direct their energy towards semi-worthwhile causes, instead of causing grief for people trying to play LoL or w/e. This would be one of those times.

Ditto. I can see Anonymous going after King.com now, if they hadn't already decided to do so. Inevitable once businesses start acting like complete pricks. But no, hackers instead target actual quality products and services like Steam.

I'm at a complete loss to understand How this Candy Crush shite ever gained popularity. I installed it last year when I got my first smartphone to see what the fuss was about and was greeted by a generic jewel puzzle clone. When I discovered the whole lives time delay thing I quickly uninstalled it in a mix revulsion and disinterest.

adj_noun

Future defendant

mZ0EZJz.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Whelp, I'll at least do my part by discouraging everyone I know from trying any of King.com's games. I cannot stand this kind of shit.

Spud of Doom

Neo Member
Is this not just King.com performing their obligation (yes, obligation) under US trademark law that requires them to actively pursue litigation against anything that could be seen as possibly infringing?

Even if they didn't want to attack The Banner Saga, my understanding is that if they didn't at least lodge the formal opposition they would be at risk of losing their entire trademark with the word.

fuzzyset

Except they're not. They're Swedish.

They may physically work primarily in Sweden, but the court doc in the OP explicitly says they are based in Malta. Clearly for tax purposes, I understand it's legal and 'everyone' does it, but I still think it's a crappy thing to do.

Billen

Banned
I would love to see King go down in flames (and I mean that in a metaphorical 'shot-down-bomber' sense). This is horrible behaviour.

King.com products are banned from this household, and I will actively try to convince everyone I know that their software should be uninstalled.

Fuck you King, what a fucking disgrace.

Jb

Candy Crush is the perfect embodiment of everything that's wrong with F2P mobile games.
Underneath the vomit inducing cuteness, the greed and cynicism.

Fitrix

Neo Member
Is Tim Langdell now employed at King?

Its the Edge trademark thing all over again.

Oh yeah brb unistalling Candy Crush Saga.

Top Bottom