• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King.com also going after The Banner Saga

Rubius

"Hey, I do not understand, my sister told me to try this game and now I have to decide who live or die! I JUST WANTED TO ALLIGN GEMS TOGETHER! DAMN YOU BANNER SAGA!"

maltrain

Go for this stupid assholes, Square:

SaGa_Frontier_US_box_art.jpg

Xater

I would imagine Square Enix might have a problem with this since they have a franchise literally called Saga.

There are lots of games with Saga in them that came before. I don't even know how claim like this makes any sense.

Apdiddy

I had Candy Crush Saga installed on my iPhone -- now, no more.

I'm surprised that Popcap hasn't taken King.com to court, what with the game looking similar to Bejeweled and all.

Sorian

Banned
Has King went after a game company with a wallet yet? Someone needs to smash them into place, I'll buy EA games this year if EA wants to do it, I'm desperate.

Eusis

Has King went after a game company with a wallet yet? Someone needs to smash them into place, I'll buy EA games this year if EA wants to do it, I'm desperate.
Thanks to a continuity reboot (if I'm remembering right) Mirror's Edge 2 to be renamed Mirror's Saga!

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Note:

If it still works (haven't tried in a while) you can take action via this:

If you have a Google+ account, Go to their Google Play page, and write a review even if you've not installed their games, do this for ALL their games and 1-star them.

Star ratings DO have an effect on sales, hit them where it hurts!

Encourage everyone to do this.

(Like I said, that's if this still works, it used to, even without purchase)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So if Banner Saga had the game all laid out in their Kickstarter a month before Candy Crush Saga debuted, isn't that enough proof that they shouldn't owe anything?

Sorian

Banned
What the fuck..... someone get Anonymous on these fuckers.

I'm sure 4chan is already bubbling with hate, a few more days of stewing within their pictures of naked women, creepypastas, and videos of penis mutilation and they will strike.

Eusis

Could've just asked them to re-issue this.

... Actually I should see if that's on Origin.

EDIT: No, just the C&C Ultimate Collection. Figured they'd just make new compilations with new names.

H2Yo

9. Applicant's THE BANNER SAGA mark is confusingly and deceptively similar to Opposer's previously used SAGA Marks.

Deceptively? As if STOIC knew all along and are deliberately trying to profit off King.com?
That's insulting everyone...

uninstalling and removing from facebook is an option, although I don't know how much would that help to the cause of stopping them from bullying, since i'm a freeloader anyways.

Flambe

Well then. I first assumed Banner Saga (hadn't heard of it before this, sorry!) was another phone game, couldn't see it on the Play Store so I was actually going to buy it on iTunes even though I don't have an Apple device to play it on.

Quick google and holy shit it's a PC/Mac game haha, oh my. $25 ain't super cheap for an indy game (especially one that I've never seen before today) but fuck it, 1 copy bought for your troubles Stoic.

Effect

I was just starting to play Candy Crush recently on my Kindle Fire. Didn't buy anything but have been really tempted. Just installed it. Don't want that crap on my device if this is how they are going to conduct themselves.

I really want them to try this crap with a company that has the money to fight back. Hell I want one of them to preemptively go after King.com just to put a stop to this shady crap.

Rezbit

What a huge bunch of dicks. If only Nintendo had a "saga" game, they could get Howard Lincoln to go in on their asses.

After reading the OP, the word "Saga" looks really bizarre to me now.

Damn you semantic satiation.

On topic: This type of activity shouldn't be allowed. Common sense should shut down this unnecessary application of trademark defense.

Biker19

Banned
OK, King.com is becoming even more out of control & more arrogant than before.

First with the "Candy trademark," now with this. Ugh. That's what usually happens when companies become so highly successful with their products.

PwnLaw

Neo Member
Former lawyer here...

So, this is a bit different than it's been described. This is a notice of opposition, which is basically them saying they have a problem with the trademark being filed. These notices are generally used as a first line of defense and as substantially less problematic than a cease and desist threatening legal action. Essentially, King is saying "we're concerned about this mark and we think it shouldn't be granted." The trademark examiner can look at it and be all: "Cool story bro, tl;dr." And then grant the mark anyways.

I agree it's a bit aggressive, but I'd be pretty surprised if it actually prevented the mark from being granted.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Former lawyer here...

So, this is a bit different than it's been described. This is a notice of opposition, which is basically them saying they have a problem with the trademark being filed. These notices are generally used as a first line of defense and as substantially less problematic than a cease and desist threatening legal action. Essentially, King is saying "we're concerned about this mark and we think it shouldn't be granted." The trademark examiner can look at it and be all: "Cool story bro, tl;dr." And then grant the mark anyways.

I agree it's a bit aggressive, but I'd be pretty surprised if it actually prevented the mark from being granted.

Better call PwnLaw

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Former lawyer here...

What would you say about the game going up on Kickstarter before Candy Crush even existed? Since BS wasn't an official game yet does it make that meaningless?

Do any non-mobile game companies pull stupid thing like this? Only one that comes to mind is Bethesda with 'Scrolls'. Imagine every time a game was a financial success the developers trademarked all the words in the title. So ridiculous.

PwnLaw

Neo Member
What would you say about the game going up on Kickstarter before Candy Crush even existed? Since BS wasn't an official game yet does it make that meaningless?

I think it's very unlikely the notice of opposition will stop the examiner from granting the mark. I have suspicions on why they're taking this approach, and most of them are pretty normal for a company in their position.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I expect this one to go through. Annoying for the other guys because they'll probably need to drop a few thousand drafting a response.

Top Bottom