• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV: KOF 98 Athena costume DLC plus themes (free)

BadWolf

Oda (KOFXIV's producer) mentioned in an interview that they had a christmas present planned for fans, looks like this is it:

Trailer for Athena's Costume, MERRY CRISTMASU!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63PIWEPQcNg

That's cute.

The Athena costume DLC will be free for everyone till January 22nd, it's available on the EU store already it seems and should be hitting other regions soon.

Two christmas PS4 themes are included as well:

Yep! It's Athena's costume and two themes in a 'holiday pack'.

Also, take with a grain of salt but according to SRK's AT_Ryo_Sakazaki:

next month for china, Shun'ei and Sylvie DLC costumes free.

OMG. Asamiya Athena deshita! Queen looks GOOD! Would love to see more news on that updated lightning system. It looks like this trailer still uses the old one.

BadWolf

OMG. Asamiya Athena deshita! Queen looks GOOD! Would love to see more news on that updated lightning system. It looks like this trailer still uses the old one.

A demo will be releasing soon (this week most likely) with the new lighting upgrade.

The patch for the main game will be hitting next month.

A demo will be releasing soon (this week most likely) with the lighting upgrade.

The patch for the main game will be hitting next month.

Holy cow, really!? That's great! Could you link me to your source? I'd love to see/learn more.

Edit: Found the thread. Looks great!

BadWolf

Holy cow, really!? That's great! Could you link me to your source? I'd love to see/learn more.

SNK said the demo will be hitting in December so it has to come out either this week or next week at the latest.

Via MMCafe:

Second KOFXIV coming this month

The upcoming Second demo of KOFXIV coming later this month will feature the new graphical improvements and 6 selectable colors. A few of the playable characters are different from the previous demo as seen in the roster below.

Ver.2.0 Demo - Playable characters
Kyo Kusanagi
Iori Yagami
Shunei
King of Dinosaurs
Terry Bogard
Yuri Sakazaki
Leona

Ver2.0 - Available game modes:
Tutorial mode
VS mode
Training mode

mollipen

My brain totally misread the title at first, and it got the idea that we were getting a Goddess Athena costume. I was so excited. :(

'98 Athena ain't bad though. I really need to get back into XIV—haven't touched it since my review, but that's not out of lack of interest.

Izuna

Banned
WHOA!!

This is... This is for me!

I didn't bother with XII mostly because of how Athena looked. Is this on Xbox/PC?

サイコソルジャー!

Loona

WHOA!!

I didn't bother with XII mostly because of how Athena looked. Is this on Xbox/PC?

サイコソルジャー!

Currently PS4 exclusive - maybe one day there'll be a PC port, but for now Sony helping a lot with promotional efforts.

Unknown?

WHOA!!

サイコソルジャー!
PS4 exclusive. I only ever played XIII, I'm really interested in this game though and it's only $40 right now. Ugh!!

Tizoc

I know I shouldn't complain about free stuff but couldn't we get a free Miss X alt. for Iori instead?

HotHamBoy

What a missed opportunity to milk their fans for $4

Oh son of a bitch.

This has me really wanting a PS4 now.

It's a fantastic game and it's only going to get better with the next big patch.

PS4 is *the* platform of choice this gen if you are into fighting games.

* = not XB1
** = not on XB1 or PC

King of Fighters XIV**
Street Fighter V*
Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator*
Ultra Street Fighter IV*
Skullgirls 2nd Encore*
Dead or Alive 5 Last Round*
Injustice*
Nitroplus Blasterz* (lol)
Blazblue Central Fiction** (some older entries on PC, CP Extend on XB1)
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (currently ** but should on on PC and XB1 next year)
Mortal Kombat X
Tekken 7
Injustice 2

The following arcade ports are only available on PS4 (all are available on PC in ROM form, no versions on XB1)

The Last Blade 2
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
King of Fighters 94 (man, they really got start releasing the later games)
Samurai Shodown (but it's not 2) :(
Kizuna Encounter
Breakers Revenge

The only thing XB1 has over PS4 is Killer Instinct. It's a good game but it's not worth trading everything else.

Do we consider For Honor a fighting game?

Anyway, the 3 best fighting games of the year are not on XBox. That sounds like I'm gloating, I'm not. I'm sure plenty of XB1 owners would rather have the exclusives they have. But if you are a big fighting game fan then you would be remiss to get an XB1 over a PS4.

Last gen was a different story. 360 was competitive. They had most of the same fighters and some XBLA ports of games like Soul Calibur 1, Garou and SamSho2 that PS3 didn't have. The games also generally performed better on 360. It wasn't until the end of the generation that PS3 started getting exclusive fighting games like the latter-day Blazblues and Under Night: Inbirth.

I'm not really sure why MS stopped caring about getting support for the genre. But most of the developers are Japanese and they have generally failed to get niche Japanese support this gen.

Saoshyant

I've no idea why they did this, but I love it. I love it so much I stopped waiting for the PC version and bought KOF14 on the goddamn Playstation.

I'm not joking here; Athena has always been the one constant in all my KOF teams since I started playing the series back with '96. The fact SNK aren't treating her like the moe-blob garbage from XII and XIII anymore is refreshing and it's like they did this just for me. Which makes no business sense, but I'll take it.

Korigama

Blazblue Central Fiction** (some older entries on PC, none on XB1)
XB1 did get Chrono Phantasma Extend, but no one bought that version, so Arc didn't bother with porting CF to it afterward.

And while Capcom fighters performed better on 360 (possibly Netherrealm as well, never paid any real attention), there was no particular advantage with anything else AFAIK. With the likely exception of Soul Calibur IV, don't know or care with V.

HotHamBoy

XB1 did get Chrono Phantasma Extend, but no one bought that version, so Arc didn't bother with porting CF to it afterward.

And while Capcom fighters performed better on 360 (possibly Netherrealm as well, never paid any real attention), there was no particular advantage with anything else AFAIK. With the likely exception of Soul Calibur IV, don't know or care with V.

I didn't know about Extend,

That really sucks for XB1 fans, though. I blame ArcSys for constantly putting out new discs instead of releasing dlc updates.

Vimes

Is it up on the store now?

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...tume/cid=UP2611-CUSA05533_00-COSTUME000000004

I'm not joking here; Athena has always been the one constant in all my KOF teams since I started playing the series back with '96. The fact SNK aren't treating her like the moe-blob garbage from XII and XIII anymore is refreshing and it's like they did this just for me.

Agreed, Athena's XII/XIII look was garbage. I hate it when female fighting game characters age in reverse.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Official PS Blog Post: LINK

Interesting note:
Beast Mode Oda-san said:
This is just the start of our plans for The King of Fighters XIV going forward, and we have even more reveals planned for 2017 and beyond! Stay tuned for more exciting announcements!

BadWolf

Where are the two free themes?

Up in EU but not in NA yet, should be soon.

Official PS Blog Post: LINK

Interesting note:

Before in interviews they would usually say that they are still thinking on post-launch support but now it seems they have finally decided on some concrete plans/roadmap.

Sounds like they might keep supporting XIV while (hopefully) working on their next game at the same time.

Very curious to see what else they have planned and if there will be anything else as unexpected or big as the graphical upgrade patch.

Cryxok

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...tume/cid=UP2611-CUSA05533_00-COSTUME000000004

Agreed, Athena's XII/XIII look was garbage. I hate it when female fighting game characters age in reverse.

To be fair, that look is much closer to Athena's Psycho Soldier design. Pretty obvious they wanted to go back to Athena's (and Kensou's) original designs for those games. For better or worse, Athena is better known for being a recurring character in every KoF entry unlike the single entry of Psycho Soldier so the change is indeed bizarre.
I do prefer KoF's traditional look, tho I understand and even appreciate what they tried to do with KoF XII and XIII
Athena's Psycho Soldier artwork
latest

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I always found it very refreshing that SNK was willing to go back to Athena's roots, and make her a bit chubbier / thicker-thighed, similar to her old 80s-born design & artstyle, when she's been an expectedly skinny normal girl with a look almost just like every other girl in all her KOF appearances. But all people wanted to talk about is their trigger to anything "Moe Blob"-like. I really love the variety of body types and muscle definition in XIII.

Anywho, here's yet even more artistic takes on Athena and others, thanks to the free Holiday themes, which are finally out in the US:

Athena Allstar Theme (Free):

Santa Girls Theme (Free):

splattered

Weird, the links you posted work but i'm unable to actually find them when I go to the KOF game page itself... I see the other themes and her costume, but not the holiday themes?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Weird, the links you posted work but i'm unable to actually find them when I go to the KOF game page itself... I see the other themes and her costume, but not the holiday themes?

Nothing too odd about that for PSN. It's normal update is Tuesday, and anything outside that is generally extra-sloppy. First way to find such thing are generally thought direct links and searching. After a while, they'll "settle into the system" and appear properly behind banners and links.

Thanks for letting me know the links work! I often worry that links found behind an account sign-in could fudge-up when posted to other.

Hopefully any issues will resolve in a manner of hours... and not DAYS.

Top Bottom