• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King Richard III to be re-buried 530 years after he was killed in battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCRS

Banned
King Richard III will be re-buried nearly 530 years after he was slain in battle and dumped in a grave.

The remains of Richard – the last English king to die in battle – were found in a Leicester car park in 2012.

His body will be re-interred at Leicester Cathedral next week in an oak coffin designed by a descendant whose DNA helped identify the remains.

He will also win the regal recognition supporters say his conqueror Henry Tudor, later Henry VII, denied him.

‘The whole point was if Richard’s remains were found he would get the dignified and honourable burial he was denied in 1485,’ said Phil Stone, chairman of the Richard III Society, which was formed 90-years-ago and now has several thousand supporters worldwide.

On Sunday, a cortege with his coffin will tour villages in Leicestershire and the battlefield site at Bosworth then placed on public display at Leicester Cathedral before re-burial next Thursday.

Screenwriter and King Richard III enthusiast Philippa Langley said: ‘The last time he left that battlefield, he left it naked slung over a horse.

‘To take him back him there and to honour him there now as a king, I think it’s making peace with the past so I hope that will be a special thing.’

Tests showed he the king suffered 11 wounds, including nine to the skull and a potentially fatal blow to the pelvis.

The wounds were consistent with accounts that he died, unhorsed, having lost his helmet in battle.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/03/19/king-...-years-after-he-was-killed-in-battle-5111374/

quick summary of his life from the daily mail:

Born in 1452, Richard Plantagenet did not grow up expecting to be King. He was the 12th of 13 children of the Duke of York, a powerful cousin of King Henry VI.

But with the War of the Roses under way between the houses of Lancaster and York, life could be precarious. As a teenager, he developed scoliosis, a curvature of the spine, but become an accomplished warrior.

After Richard’s older brother toppled Henry VI to become King Edward IV in 1461, the new monarch left him to run much of the North of England and keep the Scots at bay. When Edward IV died in 1483, Richard was named Lord Protector of his son and heir, the 12-year-old Edward V. But the young King was promptly declared illegitimate, and he and his brother then conveniently disappeared, allegedly murdered in the Tower of London. Richard was made King.

Though his reign saw important legal innovations, not least the bail system, it was marked by tragedy: his only son died in 1484.

In 1485, Henry Tudor, of the House of Lancaster, raised an army against Richard and the two forces met at Bosworth, Leicestershire, on August 22. While Henry stayed well back from the fray, Richard was in the thick of it. But when some of his nobles switched sides, the King was defeated and killed.

His reputation would later be buried by Shakespeare, who cemented the enduring image of Richard III as a pantomime villain.

king-richard-new-s_2470471b.jpg

TgvmzSS.jpg

uzH4C4P.jpg

the car park where his remains were found

SErrVey.jpg

X35Wo8p.jpg

Model of his tomb at Leicester Cathedral after £2.5 million of alterations

Channel 4 is showing a three hour special tomorrow from 5pm.

Renegade Yeti

Neo Member
I go to the university that discovered him, I would be a happy man if I never had to hear about that bloody car park ever again

120v

my mind is still blown from that documentary... i thought it was going to end in some vague "could these remains be Richard III? well... maybe. YOU NEVER KNOW" bullshit ... but they went ahead and crossed every T dotted every I to prove it was really him

Peru

Richard the 3d

The Character of this Prince has been in general very severely treated by Historians, but as he was a York, I am rather inclined to suppose him a very respectable Man. It has indeed been confidently asserted that he killed his two Nephews & his Wife, but it has also been declared that he did not kill his two Nephews, which I am inclined to beleive true; & if this is the case, it may also be affirmed that he did not kill his Wife, for if Perkin Warbeck was really the Duke of York, why might not Lambert Simnel be the Widow of Richard. Whether innocent or guilty, he did not reign long in peace, for Henry Tudor E. of Richmond as great a villain as ever lived, made a great fuss about getting the Crown & having killed the King at the battle of Bosworth, he succeeded to it.

Lego Boss

Hey man, I'm from Leicester and it's nice to have something to associate with the city other than Showaddywaddy and Walkers crisps.

What about G Lineker and The Jester from Lesta? I'm from Loughborough and it seems as if Leicester has plenty of famous people. Of course Nottingham has Robin Hood, who wasn't even from Nottingham!!

TCRS

Banned

cheers.

112I8X2.jpg

you can actually see the fucked up spine in the picture in the op. yikes.

In the documentary about the discovery, it all happened because this weird woman with a Richard III fixation (she had a 'fan' website with members all over the world) researched until she was sure she knew where the body was, raised the money for a small scale dig, and then pointed to the EXACT parking space where she thought they should start, because it was labeled as parking space "R." They dug down 6 feet or so, right below that same parking spot, and hit the skeleton. It was genuinely spooky. The article misrepresents this ("And good evidence had led the archaeologists to the parking lot ... ") because if you watch the documentary it's clear that the local archaeologists involved were just sort of along for the ride and were sure the woman was crazy, but she paid for it so what the hell they might find some cool trinkets, right? This all happened on camera and you more or less watch it as it happens. Kinda pisses me off that they didn't credit the crazy bitch.

I was
MbU2qX7.gif

mind blown indeed..

PJV3

Child killer, but he wore a sparkly hat so he gets special treatment. Couldn't think of a child killers grave so I chose Saville. The nutters obsessed with his innocence annoy me, especially the fruitcake in the C4 documentary.

And I know he was a fairly popular king up north and the Tudor propaganda etc, but he still had them bumped off. To be serious, he should be in a glass case at the natural history museum or something.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
They should bury him in a secret place and see if that crazy lady can find him again. That's a show I would watch.

DyXotEo.jpg

the fact that she figured out where he was buried

and then he actually ended up having as badly deformed a spine as his detractors claimed

i was legitimately yodelling a bit

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
For those of us that aren't British, explain?

basically his resting place was discovered by this woman who runs like a richard iii anti-defamation league, and she thinks that basically the claims that he was badly disfigured, killed the princes in the tower etc. etc. were all made up as tudor propaganda (she comes across as more than a bit crazy)

so she claims she's figured out where he's buried, under a car park

they dig up the car park and find him. amazing! she was right!

only it's really obvious from a casual glance that the skeleton is really badly deformed, exactly as his detractors claimed

PJV3

basically his resting place was discovered by this woman who runs like a richard iii anti-defamation league, and she thinks that basically the claims that he was badly disfigured, killed the princes in the tower etc. etc. were all made up as tudor propaganda (she comes across as more than a bit crazy)

so she claims she's figured out where he's buried, under a car park

they dig up the car park and find him. amazing! she was right!

only it's really obvious from a casual glance that the skeleton is really badly deformed, exactly as his detractors claimed

I need to watch that documentary again, the bit with the royal standard was hilarious. I don't think she worked it out, her weird society funded the dig (I might be wrong)

Porcile

Wouldnt be surprised if that insane woman hasn't made some attempt to get herself buried alive with him.

Hey man, I'm from Leicester and it's nice to have something to associate with the city other than Showaddywaddy and Walkers crisps.
Don't forget Richard and David Attenborough grew up here!

What about G Lineker and The Jester from Lesta? I'm from Loughborough and it seems as if Leicester has plenty of famous people. Of course Nottingham has Robin Hood, who wasn't even from Nottingham!!
I'm from Loughborough and our heritage primarily involves the local University (link), and also the fact that 200 years ago a bunch of luddites went around smashing up machinery, which prompted John Heathcoat to go into hiding.

But the Richard III stuff gets Leicester a bit more recognition these days, which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom