• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 1 end game is making me lose my mind

The game started off as a fun time, no major issues. Platforming could be better but I'll live. But that all changed once I hit End of the World. Holy shit, this place is beyond frustrating from constant heartless that eats away at your health to the number of times you face Behemoth!

Behemoth_KH.png

Was once really not enough!? Not only that but everytime you face this thing it's a boring slog because of its huge health bar.

Then there are the portals that take you to every single world you've visited where you once again fight even more heartless. At this point, I'm just ready for the game to end so I can move on to Chains of Memories but nope, next up is Chernabog with its bs. After this, you get superglide or whatever and I'm like "cool, it's almost over..."

Nope! You have to face ANOTHER Behemoth AND a horde of seemingly never ending heartless!! After losing a couple of times I was about to tear my hair out but instead, I took a break from the game only to come back today and beat it after like 2 tries.

After that, you get to the final save room and at this point I'm happy again. Next room, you fight Ansem and his Stand which wasn't too bad. Only real trouble was his "SUBMIT" attack. But once that's over, here's where things get tricky... You face off against that one boss from the beginning of the game but after that, you face Ansem and his Stand yet again. But this time, he has an attack that charges at you that's almost next to impossible to dodge! HE CAN EVEN DO IT RIGHT AT THE START OF THE FIGHT EVEN WHEN YOUR HEALTH IS LOW FROM THE PREVIOUS BATTLE. The amount of game overs I got from this are enough to make me want to throw my controller! As of writing, I'm still facing off against Ansem but I'm debating on just quitting and watching the ending.

If I hear Sora go "Aw..." one more time, I'll probably flip.

Mediking

Lmao I remember rage quitting when I was a kid against Ansem on Destiny Island. I couldn't beat it and put the game down. Came back to it when I was a few years older and beat it with ease.

KH1 on PS2 is weird... there are times when the bosses wouldn't hit me at all and I could easily win. Magnificent boss is one of those.

Then there are times it was full on war and I barely won. Lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Must be a hard mode thing because I dont remember difficulty being a memorable thing about KH, at all.

Minnow

If you grind out a bit and try to craft the ultima / find the highest level of the magic spells (at least I think you have to find some of them) it gets a lot easier. Also aero is OP

I got to that point a few weeks ago and quit. At least for now.

I'm assuming I have to go level up for a few hours and come back, which is the LAST thing I want to do. Especially at that point of the game. I'm playing for the first time on PS3, and was hoping to pick up 2.5 on PS3 to be ready for 3. Now I'm not sure if that's gonna happen.

Ladekabel

I guess it is the Final Mix version you're playing. Maybe I misremember vanilla KH1 on PS2 but I thought the version on PS3 was way harder. On PS2 I was able to beat the game with level 40 choosing the Wizard staff in the beginning. In the Final Mix version I needed to grind several times. Especially for the endgame.

That's my advice OP. Fire up a Podcast or some music and go to Traverse Town for some level grinding.

Syril

proud, the game was a cakewalk before this world

I use it for every fight and it works well too. The problem is keeping MP up for some of these fights

I guess make sure you have MP Rage(s) equipped if you don't already, and you should be able to set Goofy's AI so that he saves his MP for using MP Gift.

I guess it is the Final Mix version you're playing. Maybe I misremember vanilla KH1 on PS2 but I thought the version on PS3 was way harder. On PS2 I was able to beat the game with level 40 choosing the Wizard staff in the beginning. In the Final Mix version I needed to grind several times. Especially for the endgame.

That's my advice OP. Fire up a Podcast or some music and go to Traverse Town for some level grinding.
It's kind of the last thing I want to do at this point of the game but I think I have to.
You can just block that charge attack pressing square...
Really? Honestly had no clue.
Which version of Aero you have matters a lot. Aeroga will straight up block the charge attack half the time.
Aero. That's probably the reason then.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
You can just block that charge attack pressing square...
Yeah, a lot of attacks in the game are just straight up blockable, including Ansem's charge.

I do remember it being pretty easy to dodge roll out of the way though.

Son Of D

Using gravity magic on the Behemoth before the heartless waves deals a lot of damage. Try and get some of those to hit whilst keeping some MP free for emergency healing and Aero top up.

JayEH

The end is definitely a huge difficulty spike first time through. Hell even playing through the games a few times it's still rough for me. I recommend aeroga, second chance, and leaf bracer. That might require some grinding depending on your starting choices but having all three of those make you pretty much invincible. Equip goofy with mp gift and summon tinker bell when possible as well.

JTripper

The worst parts of the game are the final stretch world teleporters before Chernabog and the final heartless room before Final Rest. I dread those parts every time just cause they seem like they take forever.

I remember beating it on Proud , was around level 48 i think which is low. I made the mistake of going for the speedrun trophy and the proud difficulty trophy in the same run which meant i had no time grind. It was annoying as fuck but you gotta take advantage of your tools. Aeroga is useful for damage control as well as the Tinker summon for the revive. Make sure to use all Mega/Elixirs you have too , dont hold back and remember to block.

Lmao I remember rage quitting when I was a kid against Ansem on Destiny Island. I couldn't beat it and put the game down. Came back to it when I was a few years older and beat it with ease.

KH1 on PS2 is weird... there are times when the bosses wouldn't hit me at all and I could easily win. Magnificent boss is one of those.

Then there are times it was full on war and I barely won. Lol

Lol Magnificent

KH endgame was a lot of fun to me. The heartless designs got crazy with the Angel Stars and Invisibles. The surprise
Chernabog
boss fight was crazy good. Hell, all of the phases of the final battle were interesting too.

I can't wait to curb stomp Ansem with my level 100 Sora on Critical. I'm currently going through the true final boss: Gummi ship missions.

Made me lose my mind too, i kid you not when i say i had an easier time in parts of dark souls and bloodborne than i did with the kh1 end gauntlet, its fucking brutal and man they punish the shit out of you for dying

Is that really more difficult than the Riku fight in Hollow Bastion? Admittedly I didn't play on Proud or Critical, but I'm pretty sure I just cheesed Behemoth with Dumbo and don't remember dying at all at the teleporters.

LordofPwn

I've never had an issue with End Game KH1, except for Sephiroth on PS2, but they made that fight a lot easier in the remaster.

silva1991

That world was never hard for me(hardest mode) aside from the last long as wave of enemies. I though Atlantica was way more frustrating and harder.

Keym

You want to finish KH1 as fast as you can so you can move on to Chain of Memories? Lol, you have no idea OP. Enjoy it while you can.

Meowster

Ansem II is probably the hardest story boss in the game aside from Riku II. Getting Aeroga might be too much of a time hassle for you but considering upgrading to Aerora. It'll help you significantly.

Just finished this again yesterday. I was getting my ass handed to me by Ansem on Destiny Islands for weeks. What I did was back out and make sure that you have Curaga (from Aerith in the Library in Hollow Bastion) and go to Olympus and fight in as many tournaments as you can. That should give you a few extra levels and maybe even a new ability or two. When I came back to the End of the World, it was a breeze. I only died one time.

That is a super frustrating part of the game though.

Ydelnae

The part in which you have to constantly battle multiple heartless as the emblem is falling off drives me nuts everytime I play the game on Critical.

Christhor

Then there are the portals that take you to every single world you've visited where you once again fight even more heartless.

As long as you've sealed the keyhole to the worlds you don't have to go into the portals in End of the World, you can just walk past them.

Afrocious

Ansem 2 is easy if you guard against his charging.

The only bosses in the game that are difficult to me is Cerebus the first time you fight him and Unknown.

Holmes

OP, you're playing on Proud at the end of the game and still have Aero and didn't know to guard with square?

Guard against the charge. Use Aero religiously as it increases your defence. Roll ad infinitium when the guardian goes underground.

It is the most difficult part of the final boss sequence so once you beat it you're on a roll.

YouYongku

Neo Member
got the god damm no continues and dont change equipment trophy
kinda hard

going back soon to complete the other 2 modes.

Bakercat

If I remember correctly I had trouble with that same boss on my last playthrough. I think I was a little under leveled because I was going for the 15 hours and under trophy and no change equipment trophy and I just skipped battles a lot and got to the end game under leveled. Just level up some more and it should be a little easier. Also, don't dodge his charge attack, use the block ability and I think it either stops him dead in his tracks or he goes through you and you take no damage. Keep using aero and cure and have eithers on hand when low on MP.

I'm actually really happy to see this post because back when the HD remix came out on PS3, and I finally made my way to final boss battle having never played KH before, I got to this fight and just ended up giving up and never returning. I really want to try again at the series, but I just felt completely out of my league fighting Ansem.

Would it make any difference playing it on PS4 rather than PS3? Would the frame rate make it easier? (Maybe that's an ignorant question...)

Ah, memories of the first time I got to this point are coming back.

It's not really that difficult for a five-chain final boss rush. If you got past Riku 2 in Hollow Bastion, Ansem shouldn't be that difficult when you memotive his moveset.

Just be thankful you have Skip Cutscene.

it's not called "end of the world" for nothing"

many players have beaten this you can do it...

.....you will be the one who will open the door

Top Bottom