• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3 Toy Story Gameplay Trailer

Can't wait for more gameplay to be shown soon! I wonder when we'll get more info on the other worlds.

Oh boy here we go!

If you're looking for Versus ideas, I would suggest FF7R instead.

Zero need to get overly defensive here, I'm not looking to shit on XV. It's just evident that there are some elements here that were in Tetsuya Nomura's version of FFXV, and I think it's an interesting thing to point out and a fascinating project to discuss in general.

VII:R has some telltale signs of preserving elements from Versus as well, but I wouldn't want to talk about that too much since the project completely switched studios and hasn't surfaced since that first stuttering gameplay presentation.

How many Disney worlds did KH1 and KH2 have?

9 and 12, if we count minigame worlds such as 100 Acre Woods and Timeless River as separate from Disney Castle. This actually surprised me, I didn't realise the numbers were so low. It always felt like a lot more.

duckroll

9 and 12, if we count minigame worlds such as 100 Acre Woods and Timeless River as separate from Disney Castle. This actually surprised me, I didn't realise the numbers were so low. It always felt like a lot more.

In KH2 you basically went to a bunch of the worlds twice and the second time is pretty different. That's probably why. :p

In KH2 you basically went to a bunch of the worlds twice and the second time is pretty different. That's probably why. :p

Probably, but KH1 as well. I guess KH1 had those world unique heartless and treasure / trinity hunting so returning to them made it feel grander than it actually was which sounds exactly what they're doing with these Disney worlds now.

I do feel Nomura might be trying to temper the expectations of those who want 20 Disney worlds and 15 originals and we'd just have the regular amount of worlds. After all BbS had 9 Disney, Days had 6, DDD had 5, Re:coded had 3. We have a few more to go with KH3 so I feel like around 6-8 might be a fairish guess.

raven777

yeah that's not as many as I thought, especially considering those very small worlds.

duckroll

I'm still feeling pretty good about 10 Disney worlds. Maybe 5 new, 5 old. What I'm really, really, really want is a return to Fantasia without the lazy ass effort that went into it in KH3D. (._.)

We already know Olympus is in, and I expect another minigame-fest sort of world like Pooh and/or Disney Town. So that leaves 3 proper old worlds (Aladdin is so going to be one of them) and 2 more brand new worlds (Frozen and something else?). Not a huge ask imo!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Blech Agrabah again?

Enchanted Dominion please

I'm still feeling pretty good about 10 Disney worlds. Maybe 5 new, 5 old. What I'm really, really, really want is a return to Fantasia without the lazy ass effort that went into it in KH3D. (._.)

We already know Olympus is in, and I expect another minigame-fest sort of world like Pooh and/or Disney Town. So that leaves 3 proper old worlds (Aladdin is so going to be one of them) and 2 more brand new worlds (Frozen and something else?). Not a huge ask imo!
I was extremely disappointed that we weren't allowed to go through that field of glowing flowers in Fantasia.

Edit: I wouldn't mind a few Princess worlds, but I guess we were given those in 0.2.

raven777

Nomura did say most of the Disney worlds in KH3 will be brand new, so if he sticks to that plan I would assume something like 8 new and 2 old, or 7 new and 3 old. I hope Pooh is not in KH3 if the overall number of the worlds will be smaller.

It'll probably never happen but I really want them to adapt Aladdin and the King of Thieves in Kingdom Hearts. It's clearly the best Aladdin movie.

DKHF

I think we have 4-5 Disney worlds (not counting Pooh if that world is in) left to be revealed considering they're making them bigger with more to do. I would be fine if the next trailer (maybe TGS) just gives us the first look at San Fransokyo with maybe some more Kingdom of Corona as well and they save the next world reveal for the showing after that.

Ydelnae

I think that the only worlds that need to return for gameplay purposes are Pride Lands (it already used big areas, and they would want another transformation for the protagonists) and a mini game one. However, it would be weird if they were building up to Stitch finally returning to Hawai with BBS and KH2 and then it never appeared in KH3, but since his movies are not that popular anymore, I would understand that.

A for new worlds, I think there will be only two more, Frozen and another one (I hope it is based in a classic 2D movie if it's not Star Wars). Taking into account that we know Land of Departure or whatever is called right now is returning, we have 10 worlds and that's not including Keyblade Graveyard (I don't want it back and would rather have a brand new world for the finale) and Radiant Garden.

1. Twilight Town and the Mysterious Tower
2. Tangled
3. Big Hero 6
4. Toy Story
5. Frozen
6. Star Wars/Anything else
7. The Lion King
8. Mini game World
9. Hercules
10. Radiant Garden
11. Keyblade Graveyard
12. Land of Departure

That's 12 worlds and even with that number I feel like the only Disney worlds left to reveal are Frozen and another one, since the scope of the game seems too big with 13 worlds. As for Destiny Islands, Daybreak Town and Dark World, I could see them being relegated into cutscenes only, if the later is not playable being Riku-only. I don't think we should set up ourselves to be disappointed, I'm already expecting another XV moment in which the fans pray that there is a lot other continents that they haven't shown up to release... only to discover that everything that was shown almost a year before is what there is in the game.

...but since his movies are not that popular anymore, I would understand that.

I wouldn't. The series spawned a popular spin-off in Japan, and this year they released ANOTHER spin-off/successor to the Japanese spin-off set in the Huangshan Mountains in China.

Exentryk

IckyThornyChamois.gif

Bramble

I understand the appeal of this to small children, but what do adults exactly like about this?

Not trying to be insulting or a troll or anything, just interested. I honestly never heard of KH until a few weeks ago.

I understand the appeal of this to small children, but what do adults exactly like about this?

Not trying to be insulting or a troll or anything, just interested. I honestly never heard of KH until a few weeks ago.
Its Disney nostalgia/with a pinch of final fantasy and two cups full of anime mixed in with good fun flashy gameplay what's not to like

Satisfying combat that somehow makes it easy to pick up, and can be tuned to be as hard as the hardest difficulties in popular character action games like DMC.

There's really no other game with a similar feel with combat either. It's kinda floaty but somehow still feels like you have a very tight control. XV can only wish it had KH combat.

Story is convoluted trash. Just pretend it's the usual good vs evil story.

Famassu

Do you not understand Disney movie's appeal to older demographs?

As far as KH goes, it's just an explosion of fun. Fast paced, satisfyingly flashy combat that has enough going for it that it doesn't feel like a mindless buttonsmasher (at least on harder difficulty levels). + it's fun to visit all kinds of colourful Disney worlds in this manner.

I got into the series when the first game came out back in 2002. Was 11 then. The appeal of the games for me came from playing through Disney movies and has since morphed to also enjoying the series' plot, characters and gameplay.

I think most fans of the series got into it when they were kids and grew up with the series.

The first came out when I was nine but I didn't play it until about a year later because I was trying to be edgy and thought the Disney stuff was too kiddy.

As you can tell by my name, I think it's easy to see I'm a KH stan.

It isn't just about Disney. It's hard to explain but there really is so much to like here and the series itself is done is such a unique way that you could never simply call it "another kids game". It has a style and atmosphere unique to itself and nothing like this series has been made since.

I feel like this very old Kingdom Hearts 2 trailer shows well what the series is about in both excecution and gameplay. If you have 2 minutes to spare, check it out as it is also considered by many to be the peak of the series.

https://youtu.be/f28hap8-3TA

Bramble

Do you not understand Disney movie's appeal to older demographs?

As far as KH goes, it's just an explosion of fun. Fast paced, satisfyingly flashy combat that has enough going for it that it doesn't feel like a mindless buttonsmasher (at least on harder difficulty levels). + it's fun to visit all kinds of colourful Disney worlds in this manner.

Yes and I like the movies a lot (especially Ratatouille), but that's a completely different thing, in my opinion. It's passive and you watch the character live through it's adventure, instead of being the character yourself. If I play a character, I usually try to identify with it and I'm having a hard time to do that with these (Disney, Lego etc.) kind of games.

Yes and I like the movies a lot (especially Ratatouille), but that's a completely different thing, in my opinion. It's passive and you watch the character live through it's adventure, instead of being the character yourself. If I play a character, I usually try to identify with it and I'm having a hard time to do that with these (Disney, Lego etc.) kind of games.
Well you identify with sora that's who you play as

Roubjon

I play games to look at awesome art and animation, be in cool environments, play with fun combat systems, watch interesting stories, and listen to fun music. Kingdom Hearts has all that, plus Disney. So basically it's perfect.

I don't know why, but when Sora hit the ground with his hammer, I feel kinda disgusted by the resulting cracks.

I got a similar feeling from the ice cracks in one of the gyms in Pokémon:

ccxKFBK.jpg

RRockman

Banned
I don't know why, but when Sora hit the ground with his hammer, I feel kinda disgusted by the resulting cracks.

ccxKFBK.jpg

trypophobia (Google at your own risk) perchance? The cracks left by the hammer kinda weirded me out too.

MattAces

ccxKFBK.jpg

Oh my god, I had the same exact feeling. I have a terrible trypophobia by the way. But those ice cracks are fine for me.

Ydelnae

I'm probably mad late was that the unversed in the toy story world...

The symbols are different but I expect unversed to come back as Vanitas is almost guaranteed to be in the game somehow.

Nomura also said that Dream Eaters would be present in the game in one way or another, but I think that will amount to just (Chi spoilers)
Chirithy

Found an interesting couple tweets from Ben Diskin (The voice of Young Xehanort) He could be joking but I wonder if the strike could be stopping them. Doubt it since the game started production before the strike, but hey!

9525c5195136d6c979ca25ece082a84c.png

DKHF

For people who have been wondering about Attraction Flow since it hasn't been mentioned/shown at D23, there is this Spanish article with information they got from Nomura yesterday that has gone up. It seems you can't use any Attraction Flow anywhere you want, it will be a surprise based on where you are.

raven777

For people who have been wondering about Attraction Flow since it hasn't been mentioned/shown at D23, there is this Spanish article with information they got from Nomura yesterday that has gone up. It seems you can't use any Attraction Flow anywhere you want, it will be a surprise based on where you are.

It was interesting that the two new trailers we got this year didn't show any attraction flows.
Anyways I am personally not a fan of the randomness of attraction flow from the description. I hope it's not too random.

Not the biggest fan of Attraction Flow. They seem too unwieldy and crazy. Since they're based on your location it reminds me of the summons in FFXV that I wasn't that much of a fan of.

Luckily they confirmed Summons are in along with Keyblade transformations and Shotlocks. Had concerns about the attractions adding in to some feature creep but since they're limited to certain areas and set pieces that sounds good.

DKHF

Not the biggest fan of Attraction Flow. They seem too unwieldy and crazy. Since they're based on your location it reminds me of the summons in FFXV that I wasn't that much of a fan of.

Luckily they confirmed Summons are in along with Keyblade transformations and Shotlocks. Had concerns about the attractions adding in to some feature creep but since they're limited to certain areas and set pieces that sounds good.
Yeah I'm not super crazy about them either (though am open to seeing more of how they work) and thought they definitely might have been one ability too many, but limiting them to certain areas will help.

Yeah I'm not super crazy about them either (though am open to seeing more of how they work) and thought they definitely might have been one ability too many, but limiting them to certain areas will help.

My main concern was them taking the place of summons since I found them to be more versatile and a good way to get more Disney reps. I'm happy since we're getting both.

DKHF

My main concern was them taking the place of summons since I found them to be more versatile and a good way to get more Disney reps. I'm happy since we're getting both.
Oh true, yeah I was worried they might have decided to drop summons in the time since E3 2015 (when Nomura confirmed they were returning) since we hadn't seen them/heard about them so I was glad to see in his interview yesterday that they're still in.

Top Bottom