• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Announced for Nintendo 3DS [N-CONF]

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Square Enix producer Shinji Hashimoto has offered up some clarification on the Kingdom Hearts game that was announced today at Nintendo's E3 press conference as part of a rush of 3DS third party announcements.

Slides at the press conference listed the game as "Kingdom Hearts 3D Demo." However, Nintendo's press materials listed "Kingdom Hearts Franchise." So is 3DS going to get an actual Kingdom Hearts game?

The answer is yes. In a set of posts at the Square Enix Members Twitter, Hashimoto provided clarification on the matter. "KH3D is a completely original title," he Tweeted.

"With this and KHRc, two KH games will appear on portable game machines," he added in reference to the recently announced DS title, Kingdom Hearts Re-Coded.

Tetsuya Nomura seems to be intimately involved in the product. Hashimoto noted that after the Nintendo conference, Nomura was surrounded by press for interviews.

One more point of note for those who've been trying to follow all these Twitter teases. Hashimoto also revealed today that KH3D was the "information with impact" he had promised in the weeks prior to E3.

From andriasang.com

Pooya

One more point of note for those who've been trying to follow all these Twitter teases. Hashimoto also revealed today that KH3D was the "information with impact" he had promised in the weeks prior to E3.
He was right this time.

Oh, the andriasang info is nice :D If this is indeed Team Osaka's new game I'm surprised they even have anything now. Certainly something I wouldn't have expected yet.

Should be interesting. If this is a port of KH1, it better be based on the Final Mix version.
I would totally buy portable versions of KH 1/2 Final Mix.

Edit: New game is awesome news. I hope that this game follows the handheld tradition of interesting gameplay mechanics.

duckroll

ShockingAlberto said:
Hope they can get it ready for launch

I'm totally certain this will not be a launch title. It will probably be released in 2012, by which time the 3DS should have a very healthy userbase. At the earliest, if this is indeed a KH remake where they don't have to do all the level design, script and concepts from scratch, then it will be a holiday season 2011 title.

Speaking of remake, I noticed that while Sora and Riku in their KH1 garb (and ages) seem to definitely point to a remake of KH1....

2vacxas.jpg

This thing is most certainly the fucking Guard Armor reskinned to look like a Nobody. Wtf Nomura! WHY? WE ARE SICK OF FIGHTING THIS THING! :lol

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Really hope it isn't a remake. I've played the first game like 10 times through. :lol Not even 3D would make me want to buy it.
I would buy it day one.

Peff

It would be cool if they included new worlds or reworked some worlds from KH2 to the more platforming-based levels of KH1. Either way, if it is a remake of Final Mix which includes "Reverse/Rebirth" as it looks like, I'll bite.
I'll probably bite anyways

duckroll

Fantastical said:
Really hope it isn't a remake. I've played the first game like 10 times through. :lol Not even 3D would make me want to buy it.
I would buy it day one.

The 3D won't get you to buy it.....

2.png

.....but playing as Riku will! :D

duckroll said:
This thing is most certainly the fucking Guard Armor reskinned to look like a Nobody. Wtf Nomura! WHY? WE ARE SICK OF FIGHTING THIS THING! :lol
Huh?

That's the Twilight Thorn, you fight it in the prolouge of KH2, remember?

duckroll said:
http://release.square-enix.com/na/2010/06/15_04.html

Yes, this is a real game. Sounds like it could be a KH1 remake. :eek:

If this is true and they:

*Fix the clunky combat without removing all the strategy like KH2 did.

*Improve the camera.

*Make the platforming good instead of just adequate.

Nomura will be my new god.

Final Mix content wouldn't hurt. :D

duckroll said:

Clearly this takes place inside the unchained memories of data-copies of Sora's heart clone that are corrupted by darkness.

Considering the series so far, I'm willing to guess that's the real answer.

duckroll said:
No, actually I don't. Maybe I should play KH2 again... :lol

Or you could watch all of the cutscenes in KH2 while spamming the X and /\ button on a PS2 controller. Pretty much the same experience.

entremet

I'm kinda excited. I've always wanted to get into Kingdom Hearts, but I played the original and it seems very dated. The second game was way more refined--I saw my brother play it---but I didn't get into the series because I wanted to play to the first game.

twinturbo2 said:
Graphics look simple and clean, I can dig it.
Agreed, i can see there was a lot of passion put into the details.

Serious though, since it's an original title will it be another spinoff or are they going the safe route and releasing 3 on what's guaranteed to be a successful handheld.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Fimbulvetr said:
Clearly this takes place inside the unchained memories of data-copies of Sora's heart clone that are corrupted by darkness.

Considering the series so far, I'm willing to guess that's the real answer.
I wouldn't be surpised :lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
Dali said:
It actually is kind of interesting. PSP is a bore to me because it is just a portable PS2. A crippled portable PS2 at that. As a console lover why would I want to play PS2 games on a tiny screen with a shittier control method? 3DS at least brings something new to the equation if they are going to be rehashing old games. Reminds me of Jon Stewart's Half-Baked character; "You ever seen the back of a twenty dollar bill? You ever seen the back of a twenty dollar bill... on weed?! Oh, there's some crazy shit, man. There's a dude in the bushes. He's got a gun? I dunno!"

:lol That's a pretty awesome analogy.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'd get the 3DS for this game (and FF and Atlus games).

I hope the 3DS pricing isn't bad. I hope it's not like... $399 or $499 because 3D cams are hella expensive.

entremet

ULTROS! said:
I'd get the 3DS for this game (and FF and Atlus games).

I hope the 3DS pricing isn't bad. I hope it's not like... $399 or $499 because 3D cams are hella expensive.
Yeah. I don't Nintendo would make that mistake, especially after seeing what happened with the PS3. I'm guessing 229 tops.

btkadams

looks good, but i really want a full out kingdom hearts 3 on a console.

is anybody else a little put off by the 3DS's abundant announcements of remakes on the system?

GDGF

Soothsayer
btkadams said:

is anybody else a little put off by the 3DS's abundant announcements of remakes on the system?

andriasang said:
In a set of posts at the Square Enix Members Twitter, Hashimoto provided clarification on the matter. "KH3D is a completely original title," he Tweeted.

There ya go.

Mashing

btkadams said:

To prove that the 3d works (and I can't be certain, but it certainly appears that Nintendo want's 3rd parties to take that approach, at least initially--even quite a few of Nintendo's 3DS games are remakes) it's not surprising.

it's set in a mirror universe where heartless are nobodies and nobodies are heartless. sora merges with the nobodies this time and riku finds the power of friendship through his bonds with mickey mouse and pluto

the big twist is
kingdom hearts is NOT light

btkadams

Mashing said:
To prove that the 3d works (and I can't be certain, but it certainly appears that Nintendo want's 3rd parties to take that approach, at least initially--even quite a few of Nintendo's 3DS games are remakes) it's not surprising.
i just would like to see more original titles on the system i guess. i have always found the best portable games were games that were originally intended for the handheld.

and to respond to the fact its a "completely original title". how is that even possible? the shots show riku and sora in twilight town and stuff. maybe it's original because it lets you play rikus side of kh1? that'd be pretty dope, but id still qualify that as like a kingdom hearts 1.9.

i could definitely be down for seeing riku's side of things though. this could be sweet! i do feel like we need more console kingdom hearts love though.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
btkadams said:

Hmm... out of games I'll actually get that are remakes (so far that we know what they are)

Ocarina of Time (No shit right?)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (Only MGS I haven't played yet, well and Peace Walker but no PSP)

We don't know what is remakes, though KH3DS isn't a remake apparently :D

Still, don't act like you aren't nerding out like me buddy ;)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Mael

Oh For F***'s sake!
Now I'll have to get that game too?
Might as well pick up KH2 and BBS now to complete the collection!

BlueWord

cw_sasuke said:
So the developer isnt decided yet ? Weird.

This looks really early, like a lot of the DS stuff that was shown back when it was first unveiled. I'm willing to bet we won't see this again for a while, and that, when we do, it won't exactly be familiar.

Dedication Through Light said:
lol, I guess it will come in the third year of the 3DS lifetime, assuming that all the clip was was just a really short concept teaser.

Nomura said they're going to release a KH game every year. If Recoded comes out this year we could expect this late 2011...if not then 2012 looks likely. That puts it at year 1-2. Definitely not the third year.

Top Bottom