• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

I'd say PS4. From my understanding, KHIII is in the very beginning (if not at all) phases of development. It's probably a good 2-3 years off.

I also wouldn't rule out the chance of it coming to the 360 and becoming multiplatform with FF on the Xbox. One can only hope.
Wii U would be a good fit for KHIII

RPGCrazied

22 days to go! Thankfully I have played all the games recently, save for coded. Have no desire to play that one. I might wiki it I guess.

Wizpig

What's the correct way to return to 3DS home or shut off the game after you saved? you can't return to the main menu can you?

Kinda disappointed with DDD in this regard because it started to rely on Disney too much again.
Ugh, there can't be "too much" Disney in a game that started as "a new Square game with Disney characters"

[Disney is still why i buy Kingdom Hearts, and the reason why i think the DS spin-offs who basically didn't have new worlds are the worst thing to happen to the franchise... especially the Roxas spin-off with the 14th member; this one is very cool, on the other hand, and my third KH after I and II]

ZenaxPure

(Zack was okay in BBS, I guess.).

Random I guess, but, I always thought Zack was really cool in BBS just because artistically they designed his character as if he was from Olympus. Was a really cool touch that they really never did with any of the other FF characters.

Dereck

I was disappointed in Kingdom Hearts II when it kept seeming like Cloud was eventually going to be in my party at some point (sans the heartless invasion). There were so many scenes involving him.

Chunky

Oooohhh, this game is good. I was a little worried it might end up under-delivering, but just got up to Le citie des Cloches and yeah, gooood stuff.

Need more time to give proper impressions (other than music and graphics being gorgeous)
but I loved Traverse Town's keyblade. Spoiler just in case:
Shiki's pig-cat for a keychain, Neku's headphones and Rhyme's bell on the handle, Beat's skull on the hilt and the skull pin emblem at the tip.

Oh, and the TWEWY characters are just perfect. Chills all over my body.

Mario007

What's the correct way to return to 3DS home or shut off the game after you saved? you can't return to the main menu can you?

Ugh, there can't be "too much" Disney in a game that started as "a new Square game with Disney characters"

[Disney is still why i buy Kingdom Hearts, and the reason why i think the DS spin-offs who basically didn't have new worlds are the worst thing to happen to the franchise... especially the Roxas spin-off with the 14th member; this one is very cooled, on the other hand, and my third KH after I and II]

No the games started off as a mixture of Disney and ff not simply square. They already phased out ff characters so saying it relies too much on Disney isn't a stretch. Especially when the game already has enough original characters. I mean the Disney worlds served as nothing but filler just like in kh1 and kh2. No plot points were advanced until the very last world. Now compare that to bbs where Disney worlds are used together with kh original characters and suddenly they're no longer just filler. What I'm trying to say is that i dont give a damn what happens to pinochio but i sure as bell care about what is happening to aqua.

Drago

Does NewEgg ship games before release date so they get to a customer on time?

I want this on the 31st but I fear that is when they will ship it

Does NewEgg ship games before release date so they get to a customer on time?

I want this on the 31st but I fear that is when they will ship it

What shipping option did you choose? If it's free shipping then they'll either ship it the day before or the day of release but don't expect it to arrive until August 2nd or 3rd.

Drago

What shipping option did you choose? If it's free shipping then they'll either ship it the day before or the day of release but don't expect it to arrive until August 2nd or 3rd.
UPS 3 day free

I only payed $30 total for the game so I guess I can wait.

Highwind

Ugh.......

What the hell is this? Ansem's second form is just next to impossible for me on Proud mode... I get him down to half health and he pushes me away and throws he god damn stupid void balls instantly killing me, once you get caught that's it.

This is just plain unfair. I can deal with his lasers taking a fair chunk of my health, I can even deal with most of the monsters killing me easily throughout the game, at least you can avoid the lasers and work around the dream eaters, but these void balls are just too hard to avoid without getting hit, and once you do, you're likely dying and I am not even at the final battle. -_____-

Peff

Ugh.......

What the hell is this? Ansem's second form is just next to impossible for me on Proud mode... I get him down to half health and he pushes me away and throws he god damn stupid void balls instantly killing me, once you get caught that's it.

This is just plain unfair. I can deal with his lasers taking a fair chunk of my health, I can even deal with most of the monsters killing me easily throughout the game, at least you can avoid the lasers and work around the dream eaters, but these void balls are just too hard to avoid without getting hit, and once you do, you're likely dying and I am not even at the final battle. -_____-

Use Dark Aura or Dark Splicer every time he sends you back and you'll teleport right to his face

So I FINALLY got to sink a good five hours into my review copy, after work totally owned me last week. I'm a giant Kingdom Hearts fan, but right now I'm feeling a bit mixed about this title.

I love the Flowmotion stuff, and I don't want to see a future KH title without it. It takes a little getting used to, but it's immensely rewarding and fun once you get it down. I also like the fact the bigger worlds that have been designed to compensate for Flowmotion.

What I'm really not liking at all, though, is the Pokémon-like Spirit-raising stuff. I hate that most of Sora and Riku's abilities are linked to the Spirits you have in your party, and that if you remove a Spirit from your party, you lose all the abilities it gave you. In my opinion, this definitely discourages you from experimenting with different spirits, because who wants to pour a bunch of time and effort into learning abilities from one Spirit, only to lose them all when you remove it from your party? Honestly, it just makes me want to look at a FAQ or ask someone who's 100%ed the game which Spirits have the overall best ability boards so I can look out for them and never remove them from my party once I get them.

I also really, really don't like playing with my Spirits. It's just incredibly dull when what I really want to be doing is playing the game and discovering what happens in the story. It's just a boring, dull thing to do, and the fact that the game makes you do it if you want to learn more abilities is absurd.

I'm mixed on the Drop system. I don't outright dislike it, but having to switch between Sora and Riku every 15 minutes or so can be very disorienting when trying to do things like find every treasure chest in a world.

Graphics are awesome, but the framerate definitely suffers quite often -- there are just too many crazy visual effects going on in every battle. I would have preferred it if the Osaka team had scaled back the visual effects just a bit to make the framerate a little more stable. But hey, it's still a great-looking game.

The soundtrack, as expected, is incredibly good. Shimomura is one of the most talented musicians of our time, and Sekito and Ishimoto contribute some great tracks as well.

Overall, I'm enjoying the game and am excited to play more just because I love the series and want to see what happens in the story, but I'm really not enjoying the Spirit stuff. I'm still just in Traverse Town, though, so hopefully I find something about them that I like going forward.

hamchan

What I'm really not liking at all, though, is the Pokémon-like Spirit-raising stuff. I hate that most of Sora and Riku's abilities are linked to the Spirits you have in your party, and that if you remove a Spirit from your party, you lose all the abilities it gave you. In my opinion, this definitely discourages you from experimenting with different spirits, because who wants to pour a bunch of time and effort into learning abilities from one Spirit, only to lose them all when you remove it from your party? Honestly, it just makes me want to look at a FAQ or ask someone who's 100%ed the game which Spirits have the overall best ability boards so I can look out for them and never remove them from my party once I get them.

You keep the purple and the red abilities permanently from the spirits btw, you only lose the blue abilities. I agree with you in general on the spirits though. I really can't be bothered playing with the spirits.

Zomba13

So I FINALLY got to sink a good five hours into my review copy, after work totally owned me last week. I'm a giant Kingdom Hearts fan, but right now I'm feeling a bit mixed about this title.

I love the Flowmotion stuff, and I don't want to see a future KH title without it. It takes a little getting used to, but it's immensely rewarding and fun once you get it down. I also like the fact the bigger worlds that have been designed to compensate for Flowmotion.

I also really, really don't like playing with my Spirits. It's just incredibly dull when what I really want to be doing is playing the game and discovering what happens in the story. It's just a boring, dull thing to do, and the fact that the game makes you do it if you want to learn more abilities is absurd.

I'm mixed on the Drop system. I don't outright dislike it, but having to switch between Sora and Riku every 15 minutes or so can be very disorienting when trying to do things like find every treasure chest in a world.

Graphics are awesome, but the framerate definitely suffers quite often -- there are just too many crazy visual effects going on in every battle. I would have preferred it if the Osaka team had scaled back the visual effects just a bit to make the framerate a little more stable. But hey, it's still a great-looking game.

The soundtrack, as expected, is incredibly good. Shimomura is one of the most talented musicians of our time, and Sekito and Ishimoto contribute some great tracks as well.

Overall, I'm enjoying the game and am excited to play more just because I love the series and want to see what happens in the story, but I'm really not enjoying the Spirit stuff. I'm still just in Traverse Town, though, so hopefully I find something about them that I like going forward.
Completely agree with the bolded. I like the Idea of raising the spirits and creating your own party members but I hate that you lose everything they learnt when you switch them out. Would have been nicer if you just kept the skills and abilities they learnt.

Highwind

Use Dark Aura or Dark Splicer every time he sends you back and you'll teleport right to his face

Haha thanks this really helped me take this guy down (that and a lot of blocking. The game even glitched when I used the reality shift keeping him in one direction o_O

You keep the purple and the red abilities permanently from the spirits btw, you only lose the blue abilities. I agree with you in general on the spirits though. I really can't be bothered playing with the spirits.

Yeah, I know, but the blue abilities comprise most of the abilities in the game. :p But yeah, at least you don't lose red and purple abilities.

I want to look up which Spirits are considered to have the best ability boards for general use so I don't have to bother with raising and experimenting with all of them, but I'm afraid of running into spoilers if I do...

apricot

Anyone noticing that the dropping makes the story seem a bit awkward at times? Like I finished Traverse Town with Sora first and really didn't like the lack of closure before he moved on to the next world. Then when I dropped and finished with Riku I got the "you're done this world now" cutscene and it just felt out of place since I was already in a whole other world with Sora...

How does the drop system feel gameplay-wise anyway? Is there any scene that serves as a transition when the gauge runs out, or does it feel unnatural as you switch?

SoulUnison

Banned
How does the drop system feel gameplay-wise anyway? Is there any scene that serves as a transition when the gauge runs out, or does it feel unnatural as you switch?

You get a little cutscene of your active character falling asleep, then you go through a menu or two to attribute Drop Bonuses and things, then you switch.

gosox333

Does the drop system feel like something that adds to the game?

I just can't see it being the better way of handling two scenarios over just picking one and completely playing through it. Maybe I'll get it when I play the game, but I don't understand that decision at all.

Does the drop system feel like something that adds to the game?

I just can't see it being the better way of handling two scenarios over just picking one and completely playing through it. Maybe I'll get it when I play the game, but I don't understand that decision at all.

No it doesn't but you'll learn to live with it. Just dont go into a boss fight without enough drop meter.

FSLink

Banned
Man the drop system just sounds terribly gimmicky. :|
Oh well, at least everything barring the Pokemon system replacing the better fusion system from BBS, the game sounds and looks great.

apricot

I'm really into Pokemon. I'm curious to see if that translates to me enjoying this ability system.

I love Pokemon as well but I really don't think that love translates to the Dream Eaters. You might get more enjoyment out of getting all the different types, though.

I personally find the DE management really annoying, as it forces you to "interact" with them when you'd rather be actually advancing the story/fighting enemies (I found this battle system to be the best in the series so far).

Nemesis_

After some careful thought and revisiting Birth By Sleep I think this game looks a lot better visually. It seems to be crisper, smoother and the environments just have a bit more detail.

I'm glad I'm not the only one getting seriously irritated with the Spirits system. After coming straight off of BBS into this, it really feels subpar compared to the fusion system. The Flowmotion stuff seems cool, but I think its just going to take me a while to get used to, since right now I just pinball around walls without much control.

Yeah, I know, but the blue abilities comprise most of the abilities in the game. :p But yeah, at least you don't lose red and purple abilities.

I want to look up which Spirits are considered to have the best ability boards for general use so I don't have to bother with raising and experimenting with all of them, but I'm afraid of running into spoilers if I do...

A tip is to get most of the items in the world (big chests especially for recipes, abilities, abilities) and fight difficult filler enemies from the world (for the rare items to create them). A lot of spirit recipes come automatically but some of the later D tier ones are very good. You can also buy one of the better ones by playing those spirit battles in the Colosseum or in the moggle shop.
The first spirit cat you get is pretty useful with his stomp ability can last you over mid through the game. Most of the other early spirits art not as useful. But I still agree that this aspect is a flaw despite its some addictive nature. I noticed that certain upper tier spirits (you get late) gives you moves you might already have aquired before (by buying them) so you get plenty of chances to learn unique abilities if you miss out on some spirits.

Wizpig

No the games started off as a mixture of Disney and ff not simply square. They already phased out ff characters so saying it relies too much on Disney isn't a stretch. Especially when the game already has enough original characters. I mean the Disney worlds served as nothing but filler just like in kh1 and kh2. No plot points were advanced until the very last world. Now compare that to bbs where Disney worlds are used together with kh original characters and suddenly they're no longer just filler. What I'm trying to say is that i dont give a damn what happens to pinochio but i sure as bell care about what is happening to aqua.
Final Fantasy has been replaced by TWEWY and that's a great choice considered this is on a Nintendo console.

What is not very fun is that you can't actually
go in battle with them, and that there's a lack of NPCs in general.

Also, the Disney fanservice is epic,
the last two worlds are both amazing
, and that's enough to me.

I think nobody gives a damn about what happens to Pinocchio, but that's simply because we've seen him 2506 games ago.
On the other hand, if you don't give a damn about the new worlds (and this is the difference from Coded and Days... and basically CoM too) then what you seek is 90% Nomura, 10% Final Fantasy... and not Kingdom Hearts.

All the BBS praise will get me to play it, i think!... i never, ever ask for HD collections or cheap rereleases stuff like that but this time around i'd really like BBS on Ps3 as part of a collection or something.
Would be pretty amazing to get KH I, II + CoM and BBS on a console.

I mean the Disney worlds served as nothing but filler just like in kh1 and kh2. No plot points were advanced until the very last world. Now compare that to bbs where Disney worlds are used together with kh original characters and suddenly they're no longer just filler.

Riku has a big part in neverland and monstro and actually show him becoming a villain. I think I liked KH1 disney worlds because they didn't try to forcefully tell the story of the disney movies. They just are the world and characters interracting with player. For example Hunchback world in DDD just feels it tries to retell the movie in 10-15 minutes and it doesn't work.

A HUGE thank you to all the fans that came to our #KH3D launch celebration! You all made it a blast! Wish we had enough copies for everyone!
https://twitter.com/KINGDOMHEARTS/status/229286489459146753

erwSt.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...a.10150952332040841.406533.76090440840&type=3
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...a.10150952332040841.406533.76090440840&type=3

LOL

Famassu

How are the worlds? I hear that they're more expansive than in previous games?
Yeah, they are much bigger. One world in DDD is, like, the size of at least two worlds + the areas themselves are quite a bit bigger than in past games. While the worlds don't have the kind of pixel-accurate platforming like the first game, the flowmotion stuff adds different kind of platforming that's more about exploration than getting through a challenging platforming section.

How does the game compare to KH2?
I like this better.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So this is going to be my first KH. Is it safe to assume ill have no idea what the fuck is going on even after reading the synopses of previous games?

Any impressions from someone who's had this as their first KH too?

Does the game tell you which word the missing chests are in and which character you have to use to get them?

There's a list of each chest per character of every world, but there are no ingame guides to find them. Just how many of them remain to be found.

Finally, I've found all of them. 438/438. And got the two Ultima Weapons. Now it's time to breed some Dream Eaters.

SHarris78

If I.......

1) don't know the slightest thing about Kingdom Hearts
2) am looking for a decent sized story driven game
3) am tired of pick up and play bitesiz games

.....would this game fill the hole?

entremet

So this is going to be my first KH. Is it safe to assume ill have no idea what the fuck is going on even after reading the synopses of previous games?

Any impressions from someone who's had this as their first KH too?

BBS was my first game. I just went with the flow. I didn't read anything because it was way more confusing.

Top Bottom