• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Esura

Banned
If I.......

1) don't know the slightest thing about Kingdom Hearts
2) am looking for a decent sized story driven game
3) am tired of pick up and play bitesiz games

.....would this game fill the hole?

Eh....I dunno. This is a direct sequel to KHII and Re:coded, following up not only those events but I assume Birth By Sleep's events as well.

So I've finished
La Cité de Cloches
and it's safe to say that KH 3D, like every other game in the series, has gotten its hooks in me. I just can't put it down.

I'm now of the mind that Flowmotion is one of the greatest additions this series has ever seen, and I don't ever want there to be a future KH game without it (or something equivalent to it). It's just well-implemented and way too fun to use, even just to get around.

I'm still not liking the Spirit ability learning system, but I can deal with it since pretty much everything else is so damn good.

The worlds are impressively huge, which is good since they need to be to accommodate for Flowmotion.

Being a big series fan (and having played every game), I'm impressed at how well-done the Chronicles explaining the past games are. They're not exhaustive, of course, and people who haven't played the games themselves will still miss a few things, but they do a good job of presenting the important events of each game in an easy-to-understand manner.

Anyone noticing that the dropping makes the story seem a bit awkward at times? Like I finished Traverse Town with Sora first and really didn't like the lack of closure before he moved on to the next world. Then when I dropped and finished with Riku I got the "you're done this world now" cutscene and it just felt out of place since I was already in a whole other world with Sora...

I feel the exact same way, which is why I've taken to stocking up on and using Drop-Me-Nots (which are available very early in the game, thankfully) as needed to play through each world with each character in one go, before moving on to the next world. Makes the storytelling a lot more cohesive and the game a lot more fun, in my opinion. Plus, by the time you finally do drop, you'll have accrued enough DP to give your other character a bunch of great bonuses for their next go.

Does the drop system feel like something that adds to the game?

I just can't see it being the better way of handling two scenarios over just picking one and completely playing through it. Maybe I'll get it when I play the game, but I don't understand that decision at all.

Yes, it's pretty much totally unnecessary. Thankfully, if you don't like it, the game provides you with a way to mostly get around it without any penalties (see above).

storafötter;40397960 said:
A tip is to get most of the items in the world (big chests especially for recipes, abilities, abilities) and fight difficult filler enemies from the world (for the rare items to create them). A lot of spirit recipes come automatically but some of the later D tier ones are very good. You can also buy one of the better ones by playing those spirit battles in the Colosseum or in the moggle shop.
The first spirit cat you get is pretty useful with his stomp ability can last you over mid through the game. Most of the other early spirits art not as useful. But I still agree that this aspect is a flaw despite its some addictive nature. I noticed that certain upper tier spirits (you get late) gives you moves you might already have aquired before (by buying them) so you get plenty of chances to learn unique abilities if you miss out on some spirits.

Awesome, I'll keep all that in mind. Thanks!

so how is this kh. =0 decent?

Much better than decent -- great!

If I.......

1) don't know the slightest thing about Kingdom Hearts
2) am looking for a decent sized story driven game
3) am tired of pick up and play bitesiz games

.....would this game fill the hole?

Yes, though you'll likely be a bit lost in terms of the story, even after reading the Chronicles detailing the previous' games events. The Chronicles are surprisingly good and cover most of the basic things you need to know about, but this series is so story-heavy that you're not going to be completely aware of what's going on if you haven't played (or at least read a very detailed wiki about) the rest of the games. But KH 3D should definitely satisfy you in terms of your second and third points, so you should be good as long as you're okay with not being totally in the know about what's happening in the story.

thetechkid

So I'm almost done with Re:Coded and I've played every other game besides BBS because I don't have a psp, but is there any hope of it ever being brought to PSN and is Chronicles enough to get the jist of the it?

Re:coded is the only I didn't play. should I wiki before i play?

The games pretty good about giving you either a cutscene or a massive text entry about the plot of each game, when they reference them during 3D. Which is nice, but I can only recommend brushing up on the overall lore. I was trying to follow what BBS was about from reading the entry and I just gave up by the end.

Famassu

From what I've played so far...

The way you develop your characters

BBS >>>>>> KH3D (I miss not being able to level up abilities/skills and then melding them to form something completely new. While I don't have a beef with the Pokemon system, it's just not as good a system)

Pretty much everything else (combat, flowmotion and other gameplay, level design, graphics, soundtrack)

3D >> BBS

Famassu

If I watch the re:Coded ending will it become worthless to play BBS and re:Coded? I actually bought both games within the past 2 months in preparation for 3DKH.
No, but storywise the only thing that matters in Re:Coded is the last couple of/few minutes. It can still be a relatively fun KH game to play through, if you don't mind DS's shortcomings. But yeah, if you just want to get up to speed with the story so that you can begin 3D ASAP, ReCoded can be skipped.

BBS is still a must, though, especially if you have the game and a PSP to play it on.

If I watch the re:Coded ending will it become worthless to play BBS and re:Coded? I actually bought both games within the past 2 months in preparation for 3DKH.

Definately play BBS if you can. One of the best games in the series (best handheld title imo) and not fillery like Coded, Days and CoM. I'd suggest after playing BBS watch the Re:Coded secret ending and go straight to DDD. You won't basically miss anything and you will catch up with Codeds very basic main story with the DDD flashback.

After completing DDD if you are still hungry for more KH go try Re:Coded out.

Velcro Fly

Newegg has shipped my copy. I'm optimistic about getting it on Wednesday but if not it's not a huge deal. I've waited this long I can wait another day or two with shipping. Can't wait to play though!

Seda

re:Coded has a battle system similar to BBS, but the plot is insignificant to the series outside of it's secret ending.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I just finished it and I consider it a wasted opportunity. The game is solid enough to deserve praise, but overall I've find it a little less interesting than Birth by Sleep. I especially expected some story advancement and I didn't get any, it felt a filler a a KH: Coded from start to finish, with some random surprise put at the end that didn't get my attention. I consider BBS a better game having a better story. KH 3D remains the second best portable KH though, that should tell enough, but the story was pretty much non-existent.

Now... now it's time for KH3 please.

Pangya

Kotaku has put up a beginners guide to Kingdom Hearts and I feel like it is pretty informative, especially from the little stuff I've been able to gather about the rest of the series that I haven't played elsewhere.

Gamesradar has a pretty informative kingdom hearts history for those who didn't bother playing some of the KH games but still want a summary of what's happened. Of course there's the wiki too if you really want to delve in.

Mario007

Thanks, I actually have seen the secret ending already, so I guess I'm good.

but if you can, buy ReCoded just for fun. It copies BBS's combat system and character development, it's a nice repeat of KH1 world-wise, randomly-generated dungeons, side-quests, has an awesome last world and amazing mini-games at the end of each level. Basically the game is just a fun.

I just finished it and I consider it a wasted opportunity. The game is solid enough to deserve praise, but overall I've find it a little less interesting than Birth by Sleep. I especially expected some story advancement and I didn't get any, it felt a filler a a KH: Coded from start to finish, with some random surprise put at the end that didn't get my attention. I consider BBS a better game having a better story. KH 3D remains the second best portable KH though, that should tell enough, but the story was pretty much non-existent.

Now... now it's time for KH3 please.

Pretty much this. The story from BBS is not advanced at all. In fact only the last hour or so moves the overall story forward and everything in between is filler only. I just wish they'd spend the resources on the Mickey mystery game or BBS Volume 2 instead.

I really hope they don't get rid of Gummi Ships in KH3. KH2 was a huge improvement over the first one and imo was pretty fun. Maybe a little too easy tho. 2D Gummi ship segments could work great too.

Aeana

but if you can, buy ReCoded just for fun. It copies BBS's combat system and character development, it's a nice repeat of KH1 world-wise, randomly-generated dungeons, side-quests, has an awesome last world and amazing mini-games at the end of each level. Basically the game is just a fun.
You consider repeating KH1's worlds again to be a positive thing? :O

Peff

In fact only the last hour or so moves the overall story forward and everything in between is filler only

Actually it moves the story backward lol. There's no way they can tie all that crap up and include actual Disney content in a single game, especially if it's HD.

Actually it moves the story backward lol. There's no way they can tie all that crap up and include actual Disney content in a single game, especially if it's HD.

It's going to be really interesting to see how/if they screw that up in the future.

Mario007

You consider repeating KH1's worlds again to be a positive thing? :O

For the atmosphere? Yes. I haven't play kh1 for about 5 or 6 years so it was a nice return. Also the way the worlds were changed and tweaked was pretty cool, you gotta admit.

Yeah that's true. They honestly just should have had 3D as the mark of mastery exam and start kh3 from the plot of BBS. Or if BBS Volume 2 is never getting made then they should have incorporated more story elements that were to be included in that game considering the mind-fuck of a secret ending in the BBS FM.

Although they could do a BBS and, you know, actually integrate disney worlds into the overall character development and story.

So, I finished it. Few things that annoy me about the plot:

Did they actually explain
how Xenmas is still alive or is it just T"TIME TRAVEL LOL"? Come to think of it, the whole introduction of time travel felt random - why did Sora and Riku have to go back in time to begin with anyway?

The writers seem to have completely forgotten about
Kairi. I mean, she had a keyblade in KH2, but when counting up keyblade wielders, she doesn't even get a look in. Man, I hope Aqua doesn't end up like this.

I also find it hilarious that out of all the characters,
no-one's gonna be left dead except poor Master Eraqus :lol

Mario007

So, I finished it. Few things that annoy me about the plot:

Did they actually explain
how Xenmas is still alive or is it just T"TIME TRAVEL LOL"? Come to think of it, the whole introduction of time travel felt random - why did Sora and Riku have to go back in time to begin with anyway?

The writers seem to have completely forgotten about
Kairi. I mean, she had a keyblade in KH2, but when counting up keyblade wielders, she doesn't even get a look in. Man, I hope Aqua doesn't end up like this.

I also find it hilarious that out of all the characters,
no-one's gonna be left dead except poor Master Eraqus :lol

yeah Xemnas was explained through Time travel. Basically Young Xehanort brought him along as he was collecting all Xehanorts. Same thing with Ansen and Vanitas. Its kinda weird, really, as time travel really wasn't needed when the premise of the game is being in a dream world.

Sora and Riku had to go back because the only way to get into the dream world was to basically ride the Destiny Islands into the dream world as the darkness took the world

Regarding your other points I'd watch the secret ending

Aeana

For the atmosphere? Yes. I haven't play kh1 for about 5 or 6 years so it was a nice return. Also the way the worlds were changed and tweaked was pretty cool, you gotta admit.
Maybe you haven't played KH1 in that long, but I assume you've played all of the other KH games that reuse the KH1 worlds as well.

Mario007

Maybe you haven't played KH1 in that long, but I assume you've played all of the other KH games that reuse the KH1 worlds as well.

I'd only include COM in that list and I played the GBA version of it, so really it wasn't going through the old KH worlds but rather levels with the worlds' skin put on top and thus felt quite a bit different. Days repeated a few worlds, but it was more of a 50:50 Kh1:kh2 split if I remember correctly.

Zomba13

So what are the requirements for the secret ending this time around? Should I start on proud mode or anything?

5 Trophies on proud 7 on normal (I think)
Plus collecting all the letters during the credits sequence (easy to know when you see them) (This is only for the secret message)
Plus answering certain questions correctly RIGHT at the end of the game (Fuck up? Tough shit! Replay the last few bosses again!)

Also, the secret ending is pretty damn lame this time around.

Mario007

So what are the requirements for the secret ending this time around? Should I start on proud mode or anything?

I think it's proud mode and answer the three questions at the end with the correct answer (you'll find them on the internet). For normal difficulty you need 7 trophies, I think and the correct answers.

5 Trophies on proud 7 on normal (I think)
Plus collecting all the letters during the credits sequence (easy to know when you see them)
Plus answering certain questions correctly RIGHT at the end of the game (Fuck up? Tough shit! Replay the last few bosses again!)

I never collected all the letters and got the secret ending but not the secret message. Also re the last few bosses with clear data you can skip all the way until the penultimate boss.

Zomba13

I think it's proud mode and answer the three questions at the end with the correct answer (you'll find them on the internet). For normal difficulty you need 7 trophies, I think and the correct answers.

I never collected all the letters and got the secret ending but not the secret message. Also re the last few bosses with clear data you can skip all the way until the penultimate boss.

:eek: I did not know that! I ended up doing Sora's last boss then the ones with Riku (his last two. It wouldn't let me go on. Kept forcing a drop)

also

Banned

Character progression is much, much better in Re:Coded. Instead of regular level ups you place chips on a board called the Stat Matrix. By placing the corresponding chip type you increase you strength, magic, HP or level and unlock new parts of the board, thus gaining more command and accessory slots and abilities (air slide, etc.). In the same way you also unlock the ability to adjust the difficulty on the fly, sacrifice HP to increase the drop rate, get more munny at the expense of EXP... Not to mention that, unlike in BBS, you can try out new commands created by combining your old ones before irreversibly melding your old ones.
It was awesome and, ironically, really reminded me of the freedom TWEWY gave you. The Osaka team or whoever will be involved in next KH game/KH3 should really consult with h.a.n.d. on what makes a good character progression system, as the panel system in Days was also great.

To those asking about Re:coded, if you play KH only for the story, you won't care much, but if you want a fun, varied action RPG you should definitely try it out. Pro tip: press SELECT to pull the camera further back. I'm ashamed to say I didn't figure this out until I was really late into the game. Unfortunately, the camera resets to the default position, which is often too close to Sora, every time you exit/enter an area, so you will be pressing SELECT quite a lot.
As an added bonus, there's a mode where you create your own avatar and ''streetpass'' other people to get new dungeon levels. Don't worry if you are forever alone as the game, just like TWEWY, gives you fake hits. Some of them are random, some of them pre-set. Most of the latter are from the FF and KH universes and their quotes and names can be quite funny. My favourite was this one
jh8p8FHm5AIHb.jpg

4cedLaffer
''She made me do it.''

Mario007

:eek: I did not know that! I ended up doing Sora's last boss then the ones with Riku (his last two. It wouldn't let me go on. Kept forcing a drop)

Just as a disclaimer, I've only read that you can do that. I haven't tried it out yet, but it should work as I think it's there exactly for the scenario that you have to redo the questions or get the letters for secret message.

Character Progression is much, much better in Re:Coded. Instead of regular level ups you place chips on a board called the Stat Matrix. By placing the corresponding chip type you increase you strength, magic, HP or level and unlock new parts of the board, thus gaining more command and accessory slots and abilities (air slide, etc.). In the same way you also unlock the ability to adjust the difficulty on the fly, sacrifice HP to increase the drop rate, get more munny at the expense of EXP... Not to mention that, unlike in BBS, you can try out new commands created by combining your old ones before irreversibly melding your old ones.
It was awesome and, ironically, really reminded me of the freedom TWEWY gave you. The Osaka team or whoever will be involved in next KH game/KH3 should really consult with h.a.n.d. on what makes a good character progression system, as the panel system in Days was also great.

To those asking about Re:coded, if you play KH only for the story, you won't care much, but if you want a fun, varied action RPG you should definitely try it out. Pro tip: press SELECT to pull the camera further back. I'm ashamed to say I didn't figure this out until I was really late into the game. Unfortunately, the camera resets to the default position, which is often too close to Sora, every time you exit/enter an area, so you will be pressing SELECT quite a lot.
As an added bonus, there's a mode where you create your own avatar and ''streetpass'' other people to get new dungeon levels. Don't worry if you are forever alone as the game, just like TWEWY, gives you fake hits. Some of them are random, some of them pre-set. Most of the latter are from the FF and KH universes and their quotes and names can be quite funny. My favourite was this one
jh8p8FHm5AIHb.jpg

4cedLaffer
''She made me do it.''

Actually you're right. I completely forgot about the matrix, that was pretty awesome. In a way it's such a shame that 3D only took the command deck feature from the previous games and even dumbed it down at that. Hopefully KH3 will have a full on command deck, D-Links, those awesome limit thingies you get in BBS after you combo up and a variation of the matrix plus some new features.

also

Banned
Actually you're right. I completely forgot about the matrix, that was pretty awesome. In a way it's such a shame that 3D only took the command deck feature from the previous games and even dumbed it down at that. Hopefully KH3 will have a full on command deck, D-Links, those awesome limit thingies you get in BBS after you combo up and a variation of the matrix plus some new features.

Now you've got me all hyped up. If the next KH isn't a fusion of all those great systems I will blame you for my disappointment.

Top Bottom