• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Import |OT| - JEFF BRIDGES APPROVED

How does this game stack up to 358/2, BbS, KH1, and KH2?

I'm at the end, not quite done yet but I'd put it way above 358/2 and under BBS. I would kill for 3D sized versions of the BBS worlds. Lots to explore.

It's also a smaller game than KH1/2 so it's hard to compare. I loved 1 but I'm pretty neutral toward 2.

How does this game stack up to 358/2, BbS, KH1, and KH2?

I like it about as much, if not more than BbS. (Which is my favorite out of the games you listed) My only real complaint aside from a few frame rate hiccups is the lack of Command Melding. I would have liked one or two more worlds as well, but the worlds that are present are pretty huge, especially in comparison to previous titles.

It definitely snatches the crown of "Wackiest Plot" from KHII, which is a shame, because the game actually starts off pretty straightforward.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Anybody catch the translation? How serious is the bug, and is it likely to ever be hit?
In the last world, if you destroy a device to break barrier, opening a way while playing as Riku and quickly drop to Sora, the barrier will still be there but the means to destroy it won't, when you drop back to Riku.
If you save after that, it's game-breaking, because you can't continue further.

They advise to not destroy the barrier if you have 14 seconds or less on the drop timer.

Zenaku

If I'm reading right:

In the last world, while playing as Riku, there's a room with a device surrounded by a barrier. You need to drop down to the device from a hole in the ceiling and destroy the device with a reality shift, which destroys the barrier and lets you access the next area.

The bug occurs if you're forcefully Dropped during the reality shift/device destruction animation (less than 14 seconds of Drop time left before trying to destroy the device). Doing that will end with the device being destroyed, but the barrier remaining, after Dropping back to Riku.

Finished 3D last night and enjoyed it. Personally, I found the story to be easier to understand than KH2.

Just completed it and got the secret ending etc. Definitely a fun ride, but I probably shouldn't have played it on proud mode first because I'd end up getting frustrated at my own incompetence at times.

Wasn't a huge fan of the Dream Eaters and their mini games, but they could have been a lot worse, I think.

It wasn't quite as good as Birth By Sleep in my opinion, but it was definitely close. The Dream Eater stuff held it back.

I did like the bigger, more complex areas of 3D though. Definitely the best since the original KH IMO.

Famassu

Proud mode is the only right way to play these games, I'd rather take moments of frustration than moments of boringness due to easiness. :p

I was mostly OK through the whole game, except for toward the end.

Boss spoilers:
Ansem's second form was quite possibly one of the most pride crushing boss fights I've ever gone through. Ironically, the two bosses before and after were nothing compared to him. The fight wasn't unfair so much as it required super precise timing and memorization of his patterns. Beating him was definitely a fist pumping moment

Famassu

Is there no Critical Mode in this? Really loved it that they added it into BBS's localized version.

How would you say the Proud Mode in 3D compares to BBS's Critical Mode, in terms of difficulty?

Just completed it and got the secret ending etc. Definitely a fun ride, but I probably shouldn't have played it on proud mode first because I'd end up getting frustrated at my own incompetence at times.

Wasn't a huge fan of the Dream Eaters and their mini games, but they could have been a lot worse, I think.

It wasn't quite as good as Birth By Sleep in my opinion, but it was definitely close. The Dream Eater stuff held it back.

I did like the bigger, more complex areas of 3D though. Definitely the best since the original KH IMO.

This pleases me.

Mario007

Just wanted to ask people that have finished the game, is the story kinda like BBS in a way that it adds another layer of complexity and connections to the KH lore or does it try to solve, explain and tie the entire KH story together (with some retcons, obviously)?

Just wanted to ask people that have finished the game, is the story kinda like BBS in a way that it adds another layer of complexity and connections to the KH lore or does it try to solve, explain and tie the entire KH story together (with some retcons, obviously)?

I feel like BBS was more the latter (explaining and tying things together) than adding a layer of complexity, to be honest. It may add a layer of new characters and lore, but it answers a lot more questions than it raises.

Mario007

I feel like BBS was more the latter (explaining and tying things together) than adding a layer of complexity, to be honest. It may add a layer of new characters and lore, but it answers a lot more questions than it raises.

True that, though BBS does introduce the primary antagonist to the series (i.e. you see who he finally really is and see his motivations) and it adds three new characters that we didn't see before (apart from the brief one scene of Ventus/Xion in Days).

Having said that now that I think about it, you're right, BBS kinda does explain why things are the way they are at the end of KH2 and why Sora has to go on another adventure.

Still, wonder how DDD works. Does it explain more stuff about the lore or does it add another layer that will be resolved in KH3 (I suppose, kinda like CoM did)?

True that, though BBS does introduce the primary antagonist to the series (i.e. you see who he finally really is and see his motivations) and it adds three new characters that we didn't see before (apart from the brief one scene of Ventus/Xion in Days).

Having said that now that I think about it, you're right, BBS kinda does explain why things are the way they are at the end of KH2 and why Sora has to go on another adventure.

Still, wonder how DDD works. Does it explain more stuff about the lore or does it add another layer that will be resolved in KH3 (I suppose, kinda like CoM did)?

I'd say it does quite a few things to fill in gaps/motivations as well as pushing the story forward in some pretty big ways. There was a lot in this game that they could have just used in KH3, but I guess they saw that there was enough new and important material to simply make another game out of instead.

Looking at it now, it's definitely with BBS as far as importance is concerned.

Mario007

I'd say it does quite a few things to fill in gaps/motivations as well as pushing the story forward in some pretty big ways. There was a lot in this game that they could have just used in KH3, but I guess they saw that there was enough new and important material to simply make another game out of instead.

Looking at it now, it's definitely with BBS as far as importance is concerned.

Awesome, that will totally justify my decision to buy a 3DS (well Tales of Abyss is doing the job the right now). August can't come soon enough.

Oh one last thing, and feel free to put this in spoilertags even though i want minimum spoilers, does it end like CoM i.e. bam, KH3 is incoming?

Famassu

Awesome, that will totally justify my decision to buy a 3DS (well Tales of Abyss is doing the job the right now). August can't come soon enough.

Oh one last thing, and feel free to put this in spoilertags even though i want minimum spoilers, does it end like CoM i.e. bam, KH3 is incoming?
Nomura confirmed (once again) in a very recent interview that the next game will end the Xehanort Saga, so that means the next game will be Kingdom Hearts III.

EDIT: The part of the said interview:

Nomura: At that time, I figured by the time I was 50 years old I wouldn’t be able to work like I did then, so I took a slow pace. (Wry laughter.) The Xehanort saga will end in the next one, but it’s not necessarily completely over. When I finish it, I want to “close” the story completely, so no one could make a continuation of it. I’m thinking of a way to end it so there is no room to continue it. "

Mario007

Nomura confirmed (once again) in a very recent interview that the next game will end the Xehanort Saga, so that means the next game will be Kingdom Hearts III.

EDIT: The part of the said interview:

Thanks, but I know about that. I was simply asking if the game is ending in such a way (like in CoM Sora goes to the Pod and you see a picture of Roxas)

Famassu

Thanks, but I know about that. I was simply asking if the game is ending in such a way (like in CoM Sora goes to the Pod and you see a picture of Roxas)
Ah, okay. Haven't read any spoilers but given how the games so far have ended... I'm pretty sure KH3D ends with some kind of cliffhanger that will tie directly to the beginning of KHIII.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yes, I think the secret ending may be interpreted as something like that, but time will show, how will the beginning of KH3 look like.

JerkShep

Is there an official date for PAL release? I might buy a 3DS for this game, I really liked BBS gameplay wise.
The story needs to be even more convoluted, it's not like you can save it after KH2. I say bring it on: angels, gods, IA, smoke monsters, timetravel, whatever. Nothing is too much when basically half the cast is already a clone of the main character or the main villain lol. I want to see how far Nomura can go.

Mario007

Ah, okay. Haven't read any spoilers but given how the games so far have ended... I'm pretty sure KH3D ends with some kind of cliffhanger that will tie directly to the beginning of KHIII.

Yes, I think the secret ending may be interpreted as something like that, but time will show, how will the beginning of KH3 look like.

Cheers guys, should be great. I remember I got the chills after seeing the picture of Roxas in CoM (now mind you I played CoM after KH2 on emulator on my PC). Wonder what sort of an excuse Nomura will give to have Sora at level 1 again for KH3 :D

Also very last question, directed at Keiician since it seems like he knows the story of DDD, do they explain the origins of Mysterious Figure?

Cheers guys, should be great. I remember I got the chills after seeing the picture of Roxas in CoM (now mind you I played CoM after KH2 on emulator on my PC). Wonder what sort of an excuse Nomura will give to have Sora at level 1 again for KH3 :D

Also very last question, directed at Keiician since it seems like he knows the story of DDD, do they explain the origins of Mysterious Figure?

If you mean the one from the BBS Final Mix, yes.

I had completely forgotten about that guy until
you see his exact attack pattern in DDD. I was wondering why it was so familiar and then had a 'OH WAIT' moment.

Also, Nomura had confirmed it in interviews prior to 3D's release so it's nothing new. I just stayed away from all that stuff in the build up to release day. The quote (spoiler tagged):
Nomura: He is the mysterious man who appeared in Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix as a boss who manipulated time. Just who he is will be told in KH3D. Everywhere he goes, a few people of the darkness turn up, like how Vanitas came out in the trailer.

Mario007

If you mean the one from the BBS Final Mix, yes.

I had completely forgotten about that guy until
you see his exact attack pattern in DDD. I was wondering why it was so familiar and then had a 'OH WAIT' moment.

Also, Nomura had confirmed it in interviews prior to 3D's release so it's nothing new. I just stayed away from all that stuff in the build up to release day. The quote (spoiler tagged):
Nomura: He is the mysterious man who appeared in Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix as a boss who manipulated time. Just who he is will be told in KH3D. Everywhere he goes, a few people of the darkness turn up, like how Vanitas came out in the trailer.

Awesome. Glad it's explained. This will be a great game. Did you guys play it with Circle Pad Pro? Because I honestly don't want to shell out another 20 euros for something that looks as bad as CPP. So, is it much better playing it with the CCP or is it playable well enough without it?

Awesome. Glad it's explained. This will be a great game. Did you guys play it with Circle Pad Pro? Because I honestly don't want to shell out another 20 euros for something that looks as bad as CPP. So, is it much better playing it with the CCP or is it playable well enough without it?

I started with the CCP and then dropped it after about an hour. Maybe it's because I got so used to BBS, but I had no problems controlling the game past the silly KH camera doing its thing.

I definitely don't think it's necessary.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I started with the CCP and then dropped it after about an hour. Maybe it's because I got so used to BBS, but I had no problems controlling the game past the silly KH camera doing its thing.

I definitely don't think it's necessary.
This (although I just don't have CPP). L/R were enough as far as the camera controls go for me.

Yeah, I tried the CPP once or twice, but the game controls fine without it. (I wish scrolling through commands would have been mapped to the two left shoulder buttons ala Re:Coded, I probably would have used it more often if that was the case.)

Beat
Julius
today. That was a far fairer fight than I was expecting, especially considering how most of the optional bosses were in BBS.

Edit: I seem to have also gotten hit with a glitch where Riku gets stuck with 7 command slots instead of 8. Fun times. :/

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
If anyone is still interested, here's my review of the game. Polish only, but maybe google translate will make something out of it.

SoulUnison

Banned
The touch screen serves as a map and I think you're left with L/R only.

That sucks. The map-flick camera control was one of the things the DS Kingdom Hearts games really got right.
It almost felt like a tiny precursor to Kid Icarus: Uprising's control scheme.

The Fantasia and Hunchback of Notre Dame worlds more than make up for the others being pretty mediocre.

But I wanted some of the underexposed ones to be in this game. I mean, what's the chance of Basil the Great Mouse Detective world in KHIII?:(

Shawn6661

Gamekult.com Import Review

+ sumptuous graphics
+ magnificent animations
+ grandiose musics
+ a lot of answers regarding the script
+ the incredible Tron models
+ a dynamic combat system

- the forced characters trade system is stressful
- a lot of useless options
- Disney characters in the background
- the feeling of repetition in the worlds crossed

6/10

Gamekult.com Import Review

+ sumptuous graphics
+ magnificent animations
+ grandiose musics
+ a lot of answers regarding the script
+ the incredible Tron models
+ a dynamic combat system

- the forced characters trade system is stressful
- a lot of useless options
- Disney characters in the background
- the feeling of repetition in the worlds crossed

6/10

Sounds like thew same problem BBS had, can anyone say if the game acknowledges the fact that it is a handheld and tones it down? (is there anything to cause framerate drops?)

Top Bottom