• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Sephiroth in 1.5 is a lot tougher than I remember. I can consistently get him down to the yellow/green before he goes totally batshit crazy and I screw something up. This would be easy if I had Damage Asper and MP haste, but for some reason I haven't gotten them yet. Last leave doesn't seem to work in the battle either.

I love the port though, KH1 is still the only game in the series I've ever finished. I played KH2 for 5 hours before I got Sora, saw the title card and said 'NOPE' and never touched it again. :p Can't wait for 2.5 to give it a proper chance.
The assorted MP-gaining abilities are massively nerfed in Final Mix. Leaf Bracer is a huge help though.

McNum

The assorted MP-gaining abilities are massively nerfed in Final Mix. Leaf Bracer is a huge help though.
What about Goofy's MP Gift ability? That was awesome in the original. Run low on MP, and goofy spent one to give you three. Did it for Donald, too, letting him go all magic spammy.

I hope MP Gift isn't nerfed too hard in 1.5.

What about Goofy's MP Gift ability? That was awesome in the original. Run low on MP, and goofy spent one to give you three. Did it for Donald, too, letting him go all magic spammy.

I hope MP Gift isn't nerfed too hard in 1.5.

MP Gift costs 2MP instead of 1 in Final Mix. I don't think it's a big deal, tough.

Someone uploaded Re:Com's HD remix soundtrack and it sounds like only Lord of the Castle got the remaster treatment.
Oh well, I guess that was to be expected, but I was hoping that The 13th Struggle got orchestrated too. Not that I'm really disappointed about this.

And I'm not sure, but Namine's theme might be remastered too, I think?
The harp sounds different to me, but the piano sounds the same, so I'm not too sure. Of course piano is easier to "fake", no? I don't really have an ear for these things anyway.

Oh well. According to the interviews it was a small miracle they got as many tracks remastered as they did.

luka said:
I love the port though, KH1 is still the only game in the series I've ever finished. I played KH2 for 5 hours before I got Sora, saw the title card and said 'NOPE' and never touched it again. :p Can't wait for 2.5 to give it a proper chance.
Why would you quit just when the good part starts ;-; (sorry Roxas fans)

Then again you are in for a treat with KH2FM+BBSFM if you can deal with it this time. Unless of course you have played BBS too and didn't finish it. Shame on you if so!

Youngblade said:
HAH! I didn't, it's the normal Slim model with 120gb :|
I don't wanna wait 6 months man
Uhh well. HAH jokes on you! At least you didn't get the stupid sexy fat model! Thats the best one right guys? ;-;

Youngblade said:
This game has been recommended in almost every post in my PS3 thread.
Is it really that good? :p
Ies

Best killer apps for PS3 are of course LOTR+Hobbit Blu-Rays! Unless you had a player anyway :lol. If you have your PS3 hooked on a SD tv I'll come personally to smack you.

Uhh well. HAH jokes on you! At least you didn't get the stupid sexy fat model! Thats the best one right guys? ;-;
Sony followed its tradition of uglyfying its consoles with each new model*.

I miss my old fat PS3 with card reader, 4 USB ports and PS2 BC... Damn that yellow light!

*Does not apply to portables.

Sony followed its tradition of uglyfying its consoles with each new model*.

I miss my old fat PS3 with card reader, 4 USB ports and PS2 BC... Damn that yellow light!

*Does not apply to portables.

I knew I could count on you WK ;_;

I'm still rocking my MGS4 bundle fatty and still works like a charm. Tho the normal slim looks quite nice too <3.

I just have a nasty scrach on top of my fat so it ain't in perfect shape anymore :(.

I'm a lil jelly at people with slim/superslim tho when it comes to borken consoles. I swear to god if my fat PS3 dies before KH2.5 or whatever the last PS3 game I'll play is I swear I'll hang myself. I can afford another one but I'd REALLY rather use the money for next gen at this point ya know.

MP Gift costs 2MP instead of 1 in Final Mix. I don't think it's a big deal, tough.
Ah, yeah, that too.

Final Mix also raises the MP cost of a few other special moves, right? I feel like it's generally altered to decrease the use of critical attacks and magic/special moves in general. In exchange, you get a bunch of handy additions to your basic combo starter/finisher toolset, so Sora gets a hell of a lot better at ordinary melee combat.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Why would you quit just when the good part starts ;-; (sorry Roxas fans)

Then again you are in for a treat with KH2FM+BBSFM if you can deal with it this time. Unless of course you have played BBS too and didn't finish it. Shame on you if so!

It wasn't that I quit because I liked Roxas, I just stopped because I was mindfucked that I just played a 5 hour prologue that seemed to have nothing to do with anything I remember from KH1. I didn't actively swear off the game or anything, but it did sort of ruin my desire to play it at the time. :p
And no I haven't played anything else in the series since then, so no BBS.

A question to anyone who has it, what are the specifics of the "unchanging armor" trophy. I'm thinking of doing a run on beginner to get that, speedster and undefeated in one go. Does that only apply to the beginning keyblade, or accessories as well? Can I change Donald and Goofy's equipment at all?

Psxphile

Fuck... a thought just occurred to me. Localized KH ReMix 1.5 is most likely going to have Attack and Jump swapped to X and O, respectively, again. After playing the Final Mixes, Days, ReCoded, and DDD pretty much in sequence I'm too used to playing with Attack on the circle or A button on the diamond.

I CAN'T GO BACK. I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK!

(stupid SCEA mandates)

Fuck... a thought just occurred to me. Localized KH ReMix 1.5 is most likely going to have Attack and Jump swapped to X and O, respectively, again. After playing the Final Mixes, Days, ReCoded, and DDD pretty much in sequence I'm too used to playing with Attack on the circle or A button on the diamond.

I CAN'T GO BACK. I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK!

(stupid SCEA mandates)

Western setup is superior. Come at me :3

We need to come up with a silly name for the 1.5 OT if Paddington-kun hasn't already. My giga witty suggestion would be:

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX |OT| Icecream Thread!

Get it? Cause it has icecream in it but it isn't icecream (user) thread? :D ;D

No? Ok then :(

Psxphile

Western setup is superior. Come at me :3

It didn't really bother me when playing KH1 (didn't know any better!), but I certainly felt something was off with the control scheme in KH2 after playing Final Mix. The game really relied on you hitting that Triangle button when needed, and it's a lot easier to slide your thumb over to it from Circle than from X.

We need to come up with a silly name for the 1.5 OT if Paddington-kun hasn't already.

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMix |OT| But who will I play Days with!?

Err... So do I PM you my address, Napalm?

t8F5M52.gif
ibkrzYu5406ktG.gif

Just... hook it on your PC monitor or something! Anything! You are physically hurting me :(.

Go steal a new TV if neccessary.

Jumping into Re:CoM after KH1FM... it's really apparent that most of the work in 1.5 went to KH1FM.

I get some framerate stutters now and again with a few sleights (Mainly the one where Sora & Donald pick up Goofy and run around the arena using him as a battering ram), there's a bit of loading before every single battle (Whereas you'd really only ever get that before a boss battle in the PS2 release), and going from KH1's nice looking in-engine scenes to the fuzzy looking pre-rendered scenes in Re:CoM is a bit jarring. Not a bad port overall, it just looks kind of shoddy in the face of KH1.

A question to anyone who has it, what are the specifics of the "unchanging armor" trophy. I'm thinking of doing a run on beginner to get that, speedster and undefeated in one go. Does that only apply to the beginning keyblade, or accessories as well? Can I change Donald and Goofy's equipment at all?

No equipment at all for Sora, Donald or Goofy. I'm in a middle of a Beginner Mode run to knock out the Beginner/Speedster/Undefeated trophies in one shot as well.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
the addition of special commands on triangle really makes getting 100 hits on the pink agaricus more troublesome because activating ragnarok also orders donald and goofy to attack it. can't figure out any way around this...

TheMink

^ we were talking about that earlier, are we sure that D&G attacking is a bad thing in HD? Because that wouldnt make any sense

It didn't really bother me when playing KH1 (didn't know any better!), but I certainly felt something was off with the control scheme in KH2 after playing Final Mix. The game really relied on you hitting that Triangle button when needed, and it's a lot easier to slide your thumb over to it from Circle than from X.

Hahahahahaha beautiful.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
not sure, but im having a really hard time getting more than 60 hits. sounds like an oversight by SE to me.

TheMink

not sure, but im having a really hard time getting more than 60 hits. sounds like an oversight by SE to me.

Yeah me too :/

Patch that crap dammit!!!

You dont technically NEED the 100 hits do you? Its just a 100% drop if you do it right?
Or was there like a certificate or something for doing it lol.

Yeah me too :/

Patch that crap dammit!!!

You dont technically NEED the 100 hits do you? Its just a 100% drop if you do it right?
Or was there like a certificate or something for doing it lol.
It always drops the material if you get to 100, but has about 20% chance if not.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
unknown was a great fight. his roulette got me a few times, but when i beat him he basically spammed it on me 10 times in a row once he got into the green. i was swearing each time it happened. :p that attack is really the only tough thing about him, but goddamn.

now i've basically done everything save the gummi missions and 100% synthesis, but i think that's where i draw the line for this game. :)

unknown was a great fight. his roulette got me a few times, but when i beat him he basically spammed it on me 10 times in a row once he got into the green. i was swearing each time it happened. :p that attack is really the only tough thing about him, but goddamn.
That roulette is BULLSHIT. I can't believe they decided to let Terra use it again in KH2.

I have whined about this before but I hope they go the extra mile with KH3 post game bosses.

And now that DLC is a thing... it could either turn out to be something great or something ugly. Hopefully at least it will be the end of traditional Final Mixes. I'd pay a few euros for a well designed superboss :p.

How bout Jenova as a secret boss with epic vocal boss theme?

Psxphile

GVf8urL.png

Never forget.

I have whined about this before but I hope they go the extra mile with KH3 post game bosses.

And now that DLC is a thing... it could either turn out to be something great or something ugly. Hopefully at least it will be the end of traditional Final Mixes. I'd pay a few euros for a well designed superboss :p.

New Game
Load Game
Data Install
>Access Mirage Network

New DLC content available!

-=Secret Episode: Mickey's Journey=-

>Download

That'll be $6.99 + tip

Tsunamo

Best I managed to get was in the 80's once. Good thing you don't have to get to 100 to get the drop, otherwise it'd be almost impossible.
I lol'd

Sorry YoungBlade
Never forget.
I wish we didn't get a taste of it in playable form, makes it even sadder.
That roulette attack was ridiculous, I had no problem with Unknown, but everytime that roulette attack happened I almost always died before I could break out of it.

What would everyone want to see in terms of a skill/ability/battle system in KH3? I think it's really hard to let go the sheer variety and fun that is allowed by the Command Deck system, but I miss the stronger sense of progression in KH1/2 where it's actually a big deal when you get far enough in the story to upgrade Fira to Firaga, for example. I'm not sure how these things would be best reconciled.

KH:BBS is definitely the best KH game in terms of gameplay, but it definitely has one big problem: you pretty much figure out a perfect skillet to use for each character about 75% of your way through the game and end up sticking to it for the rest of the game (mostly) because it kicks so much ass. I'd prefer a sense of progression that lasts for the entire game.

Soriku

What would everyone want to see in terms of a skill/ability/battle system in KH3? I think it's really hard to let go the sheer variety and fun that is allowed by the Command Deck system, but I miss the stronger sense of progression in KH1/2 where it's actually a big deal when you get far enough in the story to upgrade Fira to Firaga, for example. I'm not sure how these things would be best reconciled.

I'm hoping to see combos return in a big way. The command deck is nice, but makes attacks too fragmented. It would be cool if they made the battle systems more like Tales, and have you string normal attacks with a bunch of other attacks (from the deck) instead of just normal attack 1->2->3->deck attack and the combo ends. Things could be more interesting when adding in Flowmotion and maybe something like Drives in the mix.

I also hope they expand on aerial combos too and enemy juggling.

I'm hoping to see combos return in a big way. The command deck is nice, but makes attacks too fragmented. It would be cool if they made the battle systems more like Tales, and have you string normal attacks with a bunch of other attacks (from the deck) instead of just normal attack 1->2->3->deck attack and the combo ends. Things could be more interesting when adding in Flowmotion and maybe something like Drives in the mix.

Combos could be a good way to do it, yeah. Lots more specialty moves automatically executed during normal combat in KH1/2.

BBS's Style Finishers were a good answer to some of that, but not all of it.

TheMink

Yeah i agree, i love me some combos.

KH:BBS is definitely the best KH game in terms of gameplay, but it definitely has one big problem: you pretty much figure out a perfect skillet to use for each character about 75% of your way through the game and end up sticking to it for the rest of the game (mostly) because it kicks so much ass. I'd prefer a sense of progression that lasts for the entire game.

DBAcMf2.gif

Let's imagine KH3 where the main core of combat system is based upon the command deck system from BBS. Now let's think how we can improve it.

One thing I have been crying before yet again is customization. BBS did it well but as you said in the end it will usually boil down to pretty similar character every time. Thankfully at least BBS had 3 different characters so it made it a lil more interesting. However I have before suggested that KH3 could use a Skill Tree system in addition to command deck when it comes to customization.

Let's say there is 3 skill trees: classic sword, staff and shield. Your character would become very different depending how you spend your skill points in these trees (1 skill point per level or bonus level?) and then further customize the abilities you have thru the command deck. And the skill tree you choose to invest in would change your combat deck. There could be tiers where you would unlock a bonus deck slot but you could only put certain command in that particular slot depending what skill tree you are using (only attack command if sword, only magic command if staff and only item if shield for example. Also to improve the progression you could be locked out for equipping more powerful abilities till you were high enough in the skill tree. You could have tiered unlocks depending what tree you were using (another example: if you were in the sword skilltree you could only equip the most basic magic abilities but would have access to better attack commands earlier and vice versa for staff. Shield would give you more balanced options giving access to level 2 of both attack and magic commands while it would be level 3 magic commands and level 1 attack commands for staff. Then each time you get to the next tier in the skill three the level of abilities you could equip would increase by 1.

So even simpler example: lets say the classic spells Fire, Fira and Firaga would be abilities level 1, 5 and 10 for example. If you were in the staff skilltree you could use Firaga spell at the time when shield could use Fira and sword could only use Fire until even higher in the tree. And other way round when with staff you could equip something basic like Quick Blitz you could be rocking with Zantetsuken if you had sword.

And not to be a total bore and prevent using cool abilities depending what you were invested in there could be 1 special deck slot unlocked at some point that you could equip anything you wanted.

That was just a little ramble how this could be handled. I could speculate even more how the skilltree system could work in KH (who doesn't love skill trees?)

Let's imagine if drive forms made a return. Let's say there were the classic Valor and Wisdom form to represent sword and staff but introduce a new one for shield. Guard form or something, perhaps green or even keyblade armor? They would work pretty much the same way they do in KH2, maybe a little toned down.

Now imagine that the very last ability you would get in the skill trees would be you becoming playable in that form permanently. For example when you hit level 50 or something in the sword skilltree you could be in Valor form all the time. For Valor you'd become faster and able to dual wield, for Wisdom you could shoot instead of melee attack and your spells would enhance/you'd be able to cast them while moving and for Guard form you'd be able to stand more damage, regenerate HP, your guard ability would block from all sides and you'd get insanely sick counterattack move after a successful block!

Seda

I replayed the ending of KH DDD again because I was bored.

I'm actually surprised how much sense I was able to make out of it the second time around.

am i crazy

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I replayed the ending of KH DDD again because I was bored.

I'm actually surprised how much sense I was able to make out of it the second time around.

am i crazy

KH3D made less sense than XIII-2.

Top Bottom