• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Groof

Realistically, I feel it's more the fault of their marketing department:

"When can you have the game ready?"
"For the honor of Square-Enix localization team 'Gamma'? I'll bet we can have it ready in 2 months!"
"Hm, no... that would put it squarely in summer. We need something to boost our 4th quarter earnings. Make it 6 months."
Crazy how much sense this makes.

Psxphile

Crazy how much sense this makes.

Probably because it's happened before. Some companies are not adverse to holding back finished titles in order to maximize their bottom-lines. Though I don't think releasing 1.5 during the already too-crowded holiday season is going to work in their favor. Or maybe it will?

Don't worry guys. Both Days and DDD suck.

In fact even my personal favourite KH1 sucks and I can prove it too!

This is what I call Lord Nomura-Sama does not understand Disney power levels. I think you know what I am talking about. We all know the group of Disney villains in KH1 and it was pretty cool to see them the first time playing and even recognizing them all. The first few worlds don't even involve them directly, they are above you at that point in the story and you just know ''Yeah, those are gonna be some badass bosses later on!''. Even Hades just kind of ignores you at the Coliseum. Of course he does, he is a fuckin god. He doesn't need to worry about junior heroes.

Then you finally get to Agrabah. And at the end you are all like ''fuck I am fighting fuckin JAFAR! He is gonna kick my ass! Oh god now he is a genie! I'm dead now!''

Well of course the boss fight was pretty easy but that is not the point. At this moment you realize that Jafar, quite possibly one of the most badass disney villains and probably one of the most powerful ones in his genie form was the first to fall. Of course Maleficent is going to be the last one since she is the boss of sorts but why the fuck is the last one of the others to fight you fucking Captain Hook? He should be the friggin pussy of the group. He is stupid and he is a coward and certainly not as powerful as any of the others exept maybe Oogie.

Of course I don't really care about this but hey, It's something to whine about while waiting for 1.5! <3

Vashetti

Banned
The day when Pooh gets a keyblade even the most diehard KH fans need to admit the series has jumped the shark.

TopWeekly-50.gif

LuuKyK

I played like one hour tops of DDD since I just got me a 3DS, and Im not feeling it yet. Im not sure why. I dont really like this time you have to use one character before it swaps it for you. I like to explore and waste time doing silly things. I cant do that with a fucking clock telling em to speed things up. -_- And I also dont like these monsters a la XIII-2. They are boring. I can already tell I will probably not like this as much as I liked BBS, would love to be proven wrong though.

I played like one hour tops of DDD since I just got me a 3DS, and Im not feeling it yet. Im not sure why. I dont really like this time you have to use one character before it swaps it for you. I like to explore and waste time doing silly things. I cant do that with a fucking clock telling em to speed things up. -_- And I also dont like these monsters a la XIII-2. They are boring. I can already tell I will probably not like this as much as I liked BBS, would love to be proven wrong though.

Drop system was stupid and it makes no fuckin sense at all from gameplay design perspective. I don't know what they were thinking. It doesn't add challenge or fun or fuckin anything.

I agree Dream Eaters are the worst of the 3 main baddies (heartless, unversed). I really don't like the designs of most of them or the colouring.

But hey I have whined about DDD enough anyway. Things I DID like about the game:
-Big open areas and technically impressive in almost every way. Does series justice.
-Some cool ideas with the touchpad for what I remember like using enemies as slingshots ect.
-Flowmotion is kinda cool but ruined by level design not being designed around it.
-Music is great. Minimal recycling of old music. Some great remixes and great original music.
-Sora and Riku are different in good ways. Too bad the shitty balancing pretty much ruins this one.
-Some dialogue, especially Riku.
-Liked the Drop into the worlds.
-Pokemon party members is interesting idea... kinda sorta. Lots of customization tho and that I like.

But the more I think about it the more it is clear it is the weakest of the 4 main titles.

LuuKyK

Drop system was stupid and it makes no fuckin sense at all from gameplay design perspective. I don't know what they were thinking. It doesn't add challenge or fun or fuckin anything.

I agree Dream Eaters are the worst of the 3 main baddies (heartless, unversed). I really don't like the designs of most of them or the colouring.

But hey I have whined about DDD enough anyway. Things I DID like about the game:
-Big open areas and technically impressive in almost every way. Does series justice.
-Some cool ideas with the touchpad for what I remember like using enemies as slingshots ect.
-Flowmotion is kinda cool but ruined by level design not being designed around it.
-Music is great. Minimal recycling of old music. Some great remixes and great original music.
-Sora and Riku are different in good ways. Too bad the shitty balancing pretty much ruins this one.
-Some dialogue, especially Riku.
-Liked the Drop into the worlds.
-Pokemon party members is interesting idea... kinda sorta. Lots of customization tho and that I like.

But the more I think about it the more it is clear it is the weakest of the 4 main titles.

Yeah, Im definetely liking the presentation overall, the music too. Riku seemed way more powerful than Sora from what I played. I am having a hard time in battle but thats probably because im not playing with that vile gigantic second analog add-on (as if the XL wasnt big enough already, but anyway, I will probably buy it soon), but thats a problem I already faced and overcame with BBS and PSP shitty analog stick. :p

Edit: Forgot to mention: What were they thinking with the sling shot attack? Wtf Its useless. Cant believe you thought it was a good addition. How am I supposed to hold the 3ds, play the game and to that weird movement in the touch screen while looking at the upper screen to see where the enemies are, all at the same time? No thanks, i will stick with the normal control scheme.

Psxphile

I played like one hour tops of DDD since I just got me a 3DS, and Im not feeling it yet. Im not sure why. I dont really like this time you have to use one character before it swaps it for you. I like to explore and waste time doing silly things. I cant do that with a fucking clock telling em to speed things up. -_-

It's a story gimmick shoe-horned into gameplay where it doesn't belong. Yeah, I don't like it. Stock up on those items that restore your Drop Gauge (fuck, forgot what they're called!) and just 'drop' one (lulz) whenever you run low or before a boss battle. Then, if you're so inclined, do a manual drop so you can clear the world with the other character. Rinse and repeat.

I agree Dream Eaters are the worst of the 3 main baddies (heartless, unversed).

Nobodies? Well, it's not like they exist or anything...

Edit: Forgot to mention: What were they thinking with the sling shot attack? Wtf Its useless. Cant believe you thought it was a good addition. How am I supposed to hold the 3ds, play the game and to that weird movement in the touch screen while looking at the upper screen to see where the enemies are, all at the same time? No thanks, i will stick with the normal control scheme.

You don't. The touch screen attacks are optional most of the time, just don't use 'em. Although, I don't recall having any trouble aiming the slingshot for the most part.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I know what's a Heartless (no heart duh) and a Nobody (shell of a Heartless or something) but how did the Unversed and Dream Eaters come about?

What are we going to have for KHIII?

Psxphile

I know what's a Heartless (no heart duh) and a Nobody (shell of a Heartless or something) but how did the Unversed and Dream Eaters come about?

What are we going to have for KHIII?

Unversed is kinda spoilery:
They are the unfettered negative emotions of Vanitas given physical form. They represent his pain and hatred and are basically extensions of himself that he controls.

Dream Eaters are beings of darkness that exist only in the Realm of Sleep. They come in two forms: Nightmares that feed on good dreams and Spirits that feed on the bad ones.

Heartless are no doubt going to be featured in KHIII. Nobodies? Maybe if one of the 13 Darknesses turns out to be a Nobody we might see more of 'em. Unversed depends entirely on whether or not a certain someone returns, and Dream Eaters may come into play if the Realm of Sleep comes back. Apparently Spirits can manifest in the real world, though.

Stock up on those items that restore your Drop Gauge (fuck, forgot what they're called!) and just 'drop' one (lulz) whenever you run low or before a boss battle. Then, if you're so inclined, do a manual drop so you can clear the world with the other character. Rinse and repeat.
This. It turns an awful mechanic into a minor annoyance. They're called Drop-Me-Not btw.

I was in NYC over the weekend and stopped by Video Games New York to pick up Kingdom Hearts 1.5. It has been pretty good so far, looks nice at 1080p.

I do not remember much about the first KH since I played it at release. I remember loving it though.

I was in NYC over the weekend and stopped by Video Games New York to pick up Kingdom Hearts 1.5. It has been pretty good so far, looks nice at 1080p.

I do not remember much about the first KH since I played it at release. I remember loving it though.

Wait, what? It's available for purchase in New York?

I drop only after each world is complete. I keep a stock of 15+ Drop-Me-Nots all the time.

I was so happy when I got an item named Drop-Me-Never, only to find out that it's just a stronger version of the other one...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Just beat Chain of Memories (GBA version).
Back when this came out, I ignored it after hearing about the card battling mechanics. Little did I know that it was absolutely crucial to play in order to understand parts of Kingdom Hearts II (like Sora in the pod, "Thank Namine", Mickey's black cloak, and Axel).

Also, whoever designed Riku's story needs to be smacked. Complete cakewalk and then the final battle with Ansem OH DEAR GOD HE'S KICKING MY ASS!

Maybe the remake will be easier, I found the 2D plain troublesome (especially when fighting Defenders). I'll play it when 1.5 HD Remix comes out.

Onto Kingdom Hearts II! Then 358/2 Days.

Bladenic

First boss was super easy, started with a double link and took out over half his half. I kind of wished I played on Proud, not only for the secret ending (at least I assume there is one as all KH games have one) but for the challenge. Then again I did hear this game was quite challenging so I guess I'll see.

First boss was super easy, started with a double link and took out over half his half. I kind of wished I played on Proud, not only for the secret ending (at least I assume there is one as all KH games have one) but for the challenge. Then again I did hear this game was quite challenging so I guess I'll see.

There are few bosses that are pretty annoying later on.

Top Bottom