• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue |OT| May our hearts be our guiding key

The Grid is absolutely kicking my ass on Proud mode in DDD. The programs deal too much damage too quickly against me. Hell, I've died after respawning 30 seconds later.
Despite the level requirement, think you're really supposed to visit Pranksters Paradise first instead. Easier nightmares to deal with.

Also makes more sense story wise

tr00per

Missed your edit:

After thinking about it more, I think you're right in that it may end up being more complicated than just a simple division of labor between Sora and Riku. I think the original plan was to have Sora do it, but because he not only failed the mark of mastery and didn't get the waking power, but also ending up losing all the power he had gained up to that point, his involvement with rescuing them was put on hold while Riku went ahead with it in rescuing Aqua. So I think its going to end up being more complicated with Riku being the one to rescue Aqua, but Sora having more involvement later on. Also, Sora probably isn't going to be the one to get all 7 princesses of heart, because I think that might end up being kind of boring if they repeat all of the worlds with princesses of heart. I think they're going to replace some of them, such as Alice, but also probably keep some because you can't lose Cinderella, Belle, Snow White, or Aurora. So Riku or maybe the Axel or Kairi will do the repeats. I wonder if Kairi still counts in that as well.

Never mind on that. I screwed that up. There are 13 dark locks. And 2 what looked like light locks to me that I thought repeated but I think its just a design because of the bottom of the chest has it to. Also I'm assuming they're locks, though I suppose it could entirely be just a design.

Side:
vhFrxqB.png

Back has no locks:
eUw3jYy.png

Other side and front:
pmBqd9S.png

Edited before reading your reply :p

agreed. So having 13 locks makes more sense but changes the purpose. And yes it appears that riku / mickey will go after aqua while sora and co will go after at least ventus after receiving the keyblade from aqua. And obviously the scene where aqua and ansem the wise meet was intro'd in the 0.2 ending. Of note, in the bbs secret ending, that scene is titled something like "two who weren't supposed to meet"...I'm trying to remember what the data yen sid was referring to is... I might have to read through the ansem's logs again.

It makes sense to me for the 7 lights to be
Sora
Mickey
Riku
(the above are pretty much a lock)
Kairi
Lea
Aqua

But the 7th could be ven or terra depending on where the story goes. You could argue the ven/sora joining if terra is rescued and not one of the 13. I doubt the 7th could be yen sid, roxas, or xion. I mean yen sid would make more sense than those other two. But the scary thing to me is we don't know who the 13 are. I keep having a nagging feeling that somehow yen sid will be evil in some bizarre twist of a yet again bigger master plan

I'd have a better handle on the lore if the releases weren't so spread out lol

Hexa

Edited before reading your reply :p

agreed. So having 13 locks makes more sense but changes the purpose. And yes it appears that riku / mickey will go after aqua while sora and co will go after at least ventus after receiving the keyblade from aqua. And obviously the scene where aqua and ansem the wise meet was intro'd in the 0.2 ending. Of note, in the bbs secret ending, that scene is titled something like "two who weren't supposed to meet"...I'm trying to remember what the data yen sid was referring to is...

We don't know much about what it is other than it being the summation of Ansem the Wise's research AFAIK. "A clue I hope, to finding yourselves or your lost friends in your hour of need" is how Ansem the Wise's data describes it in Sora's heart in DDD. I'm betting that that'll be a latent plot device, that Chip and Dale will work on throughout KH3, and they'll manage to figure it out at the exact moment its needed. That's generally how these things go. :p

tr00per

We don't know much about what it is other than it being the summation of Ansem the Wise's research AFAIK. "A clue I hope, to finding yourselves or your lost friends in your hour of need" is how Ansem the Wise's data describes it in Sora's heart in DDD. I'm betting that that'll be a latent plot device, that Chip and Dale will work on throughout KH3, and they'll manage to figure it out at the exact moment its needed. That's generally how these things go. :p

Ah. You're probably right. I'll rewatch the re coded ending

Edit:
Yeah as I remember, the data was basically to explain to sora how everyone was connected to him, but I guess we weren't shown ALL of the data. Maybe it will be what actually guides him to terra?

yunbuns

Finished .02. This was the first time I find Aqua interesting but this was enough to make me excited in KH3. I don't really feel like I got anything new out of that tbh. Every thing except the character models looked nice at least.

Byvar

Finally 100%d 0.2! That was an amazing ride.

Demon Tide on Critical was very hard though, even after I figured out his patterns and how to react to them. I don't think the boss was too bad compared to standard KH bosses, rather Critical mode in this game is brutal. It's pretty much the reason I won't even attempt Phantom Aqua in this mode. I hope the Osaka team is sensible enough to put Combo Master, Leaf Bracer, Second Chance/Once More back in Critical Mode in KH3 - just make these abilities optional so crazy fans can beat the game without them if they want.

Also, Back Cover was just weird, though the Master of Masters was a fun character.
One thing was very interesting to me though:
the eye in the keyblade that records events in the future. I knew Luxu's keyblade was Xehanort's, but then I remembered Riku's keyblade also has that same eye in it, and so do a few other "dark" keyblades... but Riku's still has it even though he's on the good side now. A plot point for KH3 maybe?

tr00per

Also, Back Cover was just weird, though the Master of Masters was a fun character.
One thing was very interesting to me though:
the eye in the keyblade that records events in the future. I knew Luxu's keyblade was Xehanort's, but then I remembered Riku's keyblade also has that same eye in it, and so do a few other "dark" keyblades... but Riku's still has it even though he's on the good side now. A plot point for KH3 maybe?

Really? It didn't switch? I know he has two versions. Brb looking into it

Edit : oh, shit....

Well
if he switches from one of the 7 to one of the 13, that could open the door for terra... It also appears in a couple of terra's keyblades

raven777

Is it just me or did they adjust some of the attacks for the last boss in 0.2 with the patch?
After the patch it seems to have longer/more often of the boss slowing down and doing nothing, and in the second phase the bullshit jump phase seems a little bit shorter than before? Or is the duration of the jump phase random?

aeolustl

My understanding is there wws no traitor, it was a device manufactured my the master to create a schism,and eventually the key blade war. Whatever his endgame is, it appears to have a conclusion in a predestination / free will confrontation
[

I watched it and also confused by his endgame. It seems that he just want to make sure things he foresaw will happen. The things he said stood out to me were that he wanted to make sure the keyblade war happens but at the same time, the light will live on...?

tr00per

I watched it and also confused by his endgame. It seems that he just want to make sure things he foresaw will happen. The things he said stood out to me were that he wanted to make sure the keyblade war happens but at the same time, the light will live on...?

Yeah, it lives on through the secret group that one of the leaders created. But there has to be a reason he wanted that to happen.

I was wondering if they cloaked him just to hide his identity or if there's some other reason. I did notice that they took the time to render an actual face for him but I'm not sure if doing any screenshor analysis will help

Also with s guy like that, who can trust anything he says?

Another thing I noticed is the book of prophecies looks a bit like the heart symbol on the wayfinder trio's outfits (terra's mark) . Not sure if that's intentional or significant

RocknRola

They should write a book at the end of KH3 properly explaining the whole plot of the series lol

The plot is pretty damn wild, and confusing too (especially for those coming in now with these new remasters). Hoping KH3 will manage to somehow explain things clearly and actually resolve (most of) them too.

Berordn

Another thing I noticed is the book of prophecies looks a bit like the heart symbol on the wayfinder trio's outfits (terra's mark) . Not sure if that's intentional or significant

Maybe it's just me but I thought the Clock Tower in Daybreak Town pretty closely resembled the keep in Land of Departure, and figured they'd make a link out of that.

But looking at it again, I'm second guessing myself.

Honestly Nomura just fucking loves clock towers.

KH1 basically has three of them (if we count hollow bastion, which is full of clockwork but lacks a clock face).

I'd love to see KH3 use some kind of unifying-the-worlds plot excuse to basically bring Radiant Garden, Traverse Town, Twilight Town, Daybreak Town, Destiny Islands, Mysterious Tower, Keyblade Graveyard, and Land of Departure together into one massive 'main' world where it is also, incidentally, always easy to tell what time it is. For basic reasons of giving the series room to expand, obviously the Disney-property worlds will remain separate from each other forever.

Cruxist

So, watched back cover. Lots of great discussion here about the lore implications! I hate the idea that there's even MORE going on behind Xehanort, but whatever.

My question is, is there any relevant lore not in back cover that's in KHUx? I have it downloaded, but I've got a Gacha game that I already play and honestly I find it pretty boring overall. If there's anything significant, I'll play it, but still...

JayEH

Got all the trophies in 0.2, final boss on critical only took me 3 tries phew got lucky quite a few times. This game is so fun, really excited for KH3 now.

Luigi87

Really love seeing a Kingdom Hearts game running at 60fps with Dream Drop Distance. Makes me excited for 1.5 + 2.5.

Just bothers me that the cutscenes are still 30fps, lol

burgerdog

Is the average length of the worlds the same as that of world 1 and 2? I made the mistake of starting 3D over the weekend knowing that Nioh was out today. If it's a 25 hour game then I'll put Nioh on hold and just blast through 3D so that I don't forget the 15 tutorials the game hit me with in the first two hours.

Oh my god, the last world in DDD takes quite some time and boy is this hard. Much harder than the worlds before. I'm now fighting against
Xehanor
and this is one tough motherfucker. The bosses before were already hard and now this...This is too much. I had him nearly down, but then his "special ability" kicks in and I thought I will cry...

TheCed

Oh my god, the last world in DDD takes quite some time and boy is this hard. Much harder than the worlds before. I'm now fighting against
Xehanor
and this is one tough motherfucker. The bosses before were already hard and now this...This is too much. I had him nearly down, but then his "special ability" kicks in and I thought I will cry...

Yeah. his Second Phase is a pain !
IMO the worst designed
Final Boss
of the Kingdom Hearts games.

Exentryk

Aqua doesn't have a lot of aerial maneuverability. The block is also quite stiff, due to the recovery frames and fixed length. I wonder if it would be better to have it implemented such that the block works as long as you have the button pressed, rather than some fixed arbitrary length. They could still add recovery frames at the end, but I feel it could work better that way. The way it is designed currently means it might work fine against single enemies that are designed well, but against multiple enemies, there might be moments where you have to press block in quick succession, and that's where this design fails. Also, they should let us cancel out of a block at any moment (even when not hit).

Having said that, 0.2 is a small demo. Hopefully KH3 feels more robust since it should have a lot more abilities, and Sora at the helm.

Yea the block in this game is absolutely horrible. Up against the heartless that shoot 5 fireballs at you while also trying to fight others makes blocking near impossible.

I love how the ending of 0.2
basically confirms that 3D may as well have not happened as far as any meaningful progression for Sora goes.
I've seriously never seen a franchise jog in place for so long.

And I still can't get over the fact that Square put out 1.5 and 2.5, which each had 2 full games and a movie, for 40 bucks a pop, and are now selling 2.8, which has one full game, a 2-hour teaser, and what might be the most superflous addition to a series filled to the brim with superflous additions, for 60 bucks. KHIII better be mankind's crowning achievement, for all the BS fans are asked to deal with...

It's hard to say anything conclusive, but I believe that the master's secret revolves around the create he had given to Luxu. Perhaps, the crate contains something like the master's heart, and to restore it, Kingdom Hearts is required.

The master would then have to sow the seeds of dispute to ensure that KH eventually gets created, and Luxu is charged with ensuring the master's plan is carried out.

Aquova

basically confirms that 3D may as well have not happened as far as any meaningful progression for Sora goes.

"Ahhhh Sora, it seems after your last adventure you seem to have lost all of your abilities. This is due to your time spent on a Nintendo system, where the KH3 players may not have gone. But have no fear, with the strength of your friends, you can grind back up from level 1 once more."

JayEH

And I still can't get over the fact that Square put out 1.5 and 2.5, which each had 2 full games and a movie, for 40 bucks a pop, and are now selling 2.8, which has one full game, a 2-hour teaser, and what might be the most superflous addition to a series filled to the brim with superflous additions, for 60 bucks. KHIII better be mankind's crowning achievement, for all the BS fans are asked to deal with...

At least 1.5 + 2.5 on PS4 is only $50.

jeffyjaixx

Waiting for 1.5+2.5 remastered to come out before getting 2.8.

Never played Kingdom Hearts despite being a JRPG fan (I know). Hoping it will be a great experience!

Byvar

So after 100%ing 0.2 and watching Back Cover I figured I'd see what miracles 60fps is doing for DDD... so I started playing it. I've reached the Grid and haven't been able to stop yet. This game is drawing me in. The 60fps is only making the pull stronger. But I already completed it on 3DS, and I almost never replay games (though I did replay KH1 and 2 a lot in the past). Help?

Anyway, I hope Critical mode is immediately accessible in KH3. I believe it was in KH2FM? Forcing the player to replay a game to be able to 100% it is something so many games do, but I absolutely hate it, especially if it's a long game.
Plus, I already beat Critical on 3DS (it was my first playthrough - I borrowed the game and 3DS from a friend who'd already finished it), so it's all the more frustrating that I can't access it immediately.

Sayers

Playing Dream Drop for the first time. Is it just me or is the dialogue in these games actually getting even worse?

Andrefpvs

Playing Dream Drop for the first time. Is it just me or is the dialogue in these games actually getting even worse?

DDD is infamous for having some weirdly worded dialogue in some cutscenes. Just wait until you get to the last world, some parts of the dialogue there are near impossible to parse.

It was especially jarring coming from the somewhat straightforward Birth by Sleep.

Sayers

DDD is infamous for having some weirdly worded dialogue in some cutscenes. Just wait until you get to the last world, some parts of the dialogue there are near impossible to parse.

It was especially jarring coming from the somewhat straightforward Birth by Sleep.

I just saw the scene in The Grid where Xemnas talks about Tron and memories. Shit made no God damn sense, on top of being long winded and (from what I can tell) irrelevant to the plot.

beat DDD again, enjoyed it more than I did on the 3DS, did a really good job with the remaster

question:
young Xenohart is Terra right?

also do we know the full cast of the
"real" organizaion XIII?

we have

Master Xehanort
Young Xehanort(Terra?)
Xemnas
Ansem
Xigbar
Sai(Saix)

Xehomart pulling a Voldemort

as for 0.2 I really enjoyed it! the over world was amazing but the character models really need work other than Aqua,
Riku, and Sorra
everyone looked way off! espacially
Terra

Also do we know who Aqua
met in the realm of darkness....near that beach area?

Exentryk

Secret boss done on critical. Wow, try mashing your way through that, lol. You really have to learn her moves to make any kind of progress. But the boss is fair, and well designed; not cheap like Mysterious Figure in BBS.

All in all, I really enjoyed 0.2. Apart from some minor issues like aerial manoeuvrability, block design, and the lock-on issue where hard-lock doesn't automatically switch to next nearby enemy after targeted enemy is killed, it was a real nice experience. Neat little worlds, great music, good VA from Aqua, and beautiful art... all of which made it really enjoyable.

Now bring on KH3!
(aka wake me up from cryosleep in 2025)

Exentryk

Finished watching Back Cover. Master of Masters is really well done (VA and writing). The graphics looked really nice, and daybreak town should be fun to explore in KH3 if we ever get there.
Story/plot was whatever though.

Will start KH3D next. Going to be the first time playing this, so hopefully it's fun.

Azuran

Banned
Finished watching Back Cover. Master of Masters is really well done (VA and writing). The graphics looked really nice, and daybreak town should be fun to explore in KH3 if we ever get there.
Story/plot was whatever though.

Will start KH3D next. Going to be the first time playing this, so hopefully it's fun.

Daybreak Town won't even exist by that time. X has a cutscene where the player characters sees everything going to hell.

Top Bottom