• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue |OT| May our hearts be our guiding key

Exentryk

Daybreak Town won't even exist by that time. X has a cutscene where the player characters sees everything going to hell.

Seems like a good waste of resources if we don't get to explore it. Plus, the story has enough time travel nonsense to make it work.

Tsunamo

Daybreak Town won't even exist by that time. X has a cutscene where the player characters sees everything going to hell.
There was a KH event where people got to see a preview with a town world, the pictures and descriptions of it seemed really similar to Daybreak Town so it wouldn't suprise me in the least if they bring it back in 3. Could also be The Land of Departure restored though.
http://www.khinsider.com/news/khi-rendition-of-kh3-footage-4866

For those who play, the English version of KHUX updated today with the storyline leading to Master Ava's speech, seen in X Back Cover

C4NWMEyUcAAdVxj.png

Byvar

I'm not sure how I feel about Flowmotion being in KH3. It's cool sometimes but it also completely destroys the need for platforming in DDD and makes the world feel tiny, since you can jump all over the place.

The devs even seem to have made a lot of treasure chests on remote platforms accessible with platforming challenges, as if they had no idea you can totally skip that by bouncing off the walls.

Mediking

I'm not sure how I feel about Flowmotion being in KH3. It's cool sometimes but it also completely destroys the need for platforming in DDD and makes the world feel tiny, since you can jump all over the place.

The devs even seem to have made a lot of treasure chests on remote platforms accessible with platforming challenges, as if they had no idea you can totally skip that by bouncing off the walls.

I'm a bazillion percent sure Flowmotion has been turned down drastically in KH3.

Jeels

What do I do with all the bubbles laid out around the Hunchback world? I tried different button presses but nothing happens. They said I am supposed to be able to link between them or something?

Also, just reached the Tron world. Please tell me it's short and not as long as the Hunchback one. I absolutely hate Tron. :(

Azuran

Banned
What do I do with all the bubbles laid out around the Hunchback world? I tried different button presses but nothing happens. They said I am supposed to be able to link between them or something?

Also, just reached the Tron world. Please tell me it's short and not as long as the Hunchback one. I absolutely hate Tron. :(

Jump on them. They're magical grind rails.

And hating Tron smh. That's the second best world in the game.

I'll take flowmotion over the terrible platforming in these games anytime.
Progression gating still matters, though. It's good and important for the game to be able to stick chests in early worlds that you can't get to until you come back with High Jump (for example).

Psxphile

Jump on them. They're magical grind rails.

And hating Tron smh. That's the second best world in the game.

I do jump on them, I fall right through lol.

Well, first you have to activate them. It's a Reality Shift (all worlds have a unique RS) denoted by the pink marker when you get near them, you have to press Triangle+Circle together to launch into it and you can use it to grind around the map. You use the left stick to activate new ones ahead of you and "switch tracks". Enemies likewise can be grinded in this world if you attack one enough to make the RS mark appear.

Psxphile

I do find it annoying that the act of activating Reality Shifts will trigger whatever commands you have on-hand since they both use the Triangle button.

Azuran

Banned
I do find it annoying that the act of activating Reality Shifts will trigger whatever commands you have on-hand since they both use the Triangle button.

I find it annoying that if you change to control type B, lock on targeting is with R1 + L1, which screws you over because L1 also changes your command to the one you picked as a shortcut.

In the default setting, using the d-pad to control the command deck is awkward as hell.

corn_fest

The way Flowmotion breaks the platforming with the infinite walljump is unfortunate, but honestly given that half the levels in the game are massive mazelike caves that all look the same, I'll take whatever mobility I can get.

Seriously what the fuck.

Traverse Town back streets, Hunchback's city and caves, The Grid's everything, Pranksters Paradise's underwater section, Three Musketeers' backstage area and prison island thing, etc. - all godawful level design. I'll take KH2's flat boxes over that. It's like they took that terrible castle area from BBS and used it as a base for every level in the game.

Hachitora

The only way I've been going around this is putting the command deck on a command that's reloading. But if all of them are off reload, welp...

Pretty irritating, I wish they'd have you tap the touchpad or something to activate those

Luigi87

Loaded up my game, and in spite of playing this on 3DS, I only now just realized how they set up the world map sections to make up Mickey's head x_x

Vashetti

Banned
Absolutely no idea if it will help or change anything, but I sent SE support a small essay requesting a patch to allow 4K downsampling for 1080p displays on DDD, and received this response:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting the Square Enix Support Centre.

We appreciate your interest in Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, and that you have taken the time to write to us with your thoughts on how the game may be improved. We will pass your feedback to the relevant team.

Should you have any other questions or problems in future, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

The Square Enix Support Centre team

DDD is giving me a headache.

It would be so much better with a script/dialogue that wasn't so friggin awkward all the time. I really hope they know what they are doing with KH3 and beyond if they ever wanna grab similar audience that KH1 did. KH3 has already a ton of baggage considering it's the last game of current ''arc'' but a bit westernized dialogue would go a long way to ensure newcomers enjoy the narrative too even if they don't know what exactly is going on with the plot.

I just finished the second Traverse Town visit. The idea of TWEWY cameos is cool but holy shit it's bad if you don't know the characters. Almost KH2 Cloud/Sephy bad.

Anyway, to not be completely negative: the remaster looks incredible. Better than I expected, there are way less low res textures than I thought. They could easily have gotten away with making a current gen/last gen console game with the artstyle if they removed fish faces, added more geometry and added a bit better textures.

Mediking

DDD is giving me a headache.

It would be so much better with a script/dialogue that wasn't so friggin awkward all the time. I really hope they know what they are doing with KH3 and beyond if they ever wanna grab similar audience that KH1 did. KH3 has already a ton of baggage considering it's the last game of current ''arc'' but a bit westernized dialogue would go a long way to ensure newcomers enjoy the narrative too even if they don't know what exactly is going on with the plot.

I just finished the second Traverse Town visit. The idea of TWEWY cameos is cool but holy shit it's bad if you don't know the characters. Almost KH2 Cloud/Sephy bad.

Anyway, to not be completely negative: the remaster looks incredible. Better than I expected, there are way less low res textures than I thought. They could easily have gotten away with making a current gen/last gen console game with the artstyle if they removed fish faces, added more geometry and added a bit better textures.

Kingdom Hearts 2.8's writing is pretty good.... trust me. That's way more indicative of KH3's writing should be than KH DDD.

And KH's writing has always been weird and off-sounding at times. It's part of the appeal. Lol

Vashetti

Banned
Absolutely no idea if it will help or change anything, but I sent SE support a small essay requesting a patch to allow 4K downsampling for 1080p displays on DDD, and received this response:

I've also contacted support for 1.5/2.5 on PS4 and suggested they have 4K downsampling ready for launch.

Kingdom Hearts 2.8's writing is pretty good.... trust me. That's way more indicative of KH3's writing should be than KH DDD.

And KH's writing has always been weird and off-sounding at times. It's part of the appeal. Lol
KH1, Chain of Memories, BBS, and BBS 0.2 have fine writing; even 358/2 Days does, as much as I give that game shit for playing so badly. Really, it's more KH2 and DDD that have problems in that regard.

botty

Banned

Where was the writing good? I think some of the stuff in the mirror world was interesting... but Kingdom Hearts has always been good with dealing with inner demons/self reflection (except with Sora).

Mediking

Where was the writing good? I think some of the stuff in the mirror world was interesting... but Kingdom Hearts has always been good with dealing with inner demons/self reflection (except with Sora).

The whole section with Sora at the end was pretty freaking good and a huge sign how KH3 is gonna be.

KH1, Chain of Memories, BBS, and BBS 0.2 have fine writing; even 358/2 Days does, as much as I give that game shit for playing so badly. Really, it's more KH2 and DDD that have problems in that regard.

Yeah.... true...

Haganeren

Just finished DDD for the first time.

Well... That was something.... The ending was hilarious but i just love when Nomura do confusing stuff like that. (
"I'M ALREADY HALF-XEHANORT"
)

I had a really bad first impression of DDD to be honest, especially after the REALLY good 0.2 game... Going back to Traverse Town, TWEWY guys which have nothing to do with anything (if at least we could visit Shibuya...), the writing during
Notre Dame was atrocious and i found Tron quite boring
.... But also, the gameplay was just really not as fun as the 0.2 just before and i didn't liked the whole "pet" thing. But well, at the third world
(Pinocchio)
, it started to change. I had more and more fun spell/move to use which is fine. I really liked the flowmotion thing and contrary to BBS, Riku and Sora start to really visit different part of the same world which is really cool and make those worlds feels really huge.

At the Musketeer, i was completly hooked, really liked that one, you can even visit an hilariously bad version of Mont Saint Michel which use asset of the equally bad Paris. (Seriously, seeing Paris with no people is almost depressing ). But at this point, i accepted those kind of flaws that Kingdom Hearts always had to be honest. (Still remember Pekin in Kingdom Heats 2....). Fantasia was cool, i mean, the whole movie is kinda abstract so i liked what they did there. And the idea of following an ennemy through worlds was kinda funny. REALLY too bad we fight the Gargoyles with that very annoying mini game.

And then there is the end... Always fun...
Yeah, i can see the fault of the game... The scenario is not really "there" until the very end, some people don't like the command system (i kinda like it, i tend to not overuse broken command by putting it several time that being said...) and the beginning is quite annoying... But somehow i really liked it at the end, a lot more than BBS at least. (The problem with BBS for me is that the worst part of Kingdom Hearts is always the beginning, when you can't do much... And BBS has three beginning... Also, visiting the same worlds three time really annoyed me to no end... But yeah, at least this one had an interesting story)

For the rest, i enjoyed KH Chi story far more than i anticipated, you have to think a little to understand what's happening and the characters were for the most part, quite interesting to follow... Even Amusing at time.
And yeah, loved 0.2. Let Nomura do as much retcon as he wants, that's just part of the charm of the serie at this point. I will never forget that whole Ansem thing from KH 2 ah ah.

Sami+

BBS writing was atrocious though. That's not a very high bar...

Terra's entire character arc was a complete mess because none of his decisions made any sense.

Burbeting

Banned
Gettung the platinum in dream drop distance is such a grindy endeavour. But I'm relatively close (just bunch of non-difficult grinds left), so might as well finish it. It would be my first platinumed kh.

Also whoever thinks KH 0.2 has good writing, lol. It suffers from exactly the same problems as BBS and 3D (keeps breaking show don't tell rule, inserts vague philosophical friendship monologues everywhere, clusters the lore with more and more retcons and is simply not charming).

KH writing tier list or whatever:

CoM
KH1
358/2 Days
Coded
BBS
KHII
DDD

As much shit as I give 358/2 Days, it has a genuinely charming script for the most part, even though I largely don't care for the Org. XIII melodrama. KH1's is simple, charming and to the point, and aside from the overuse of the word "DARKNESS" in the second half, CoM is probably the only time the series took on heavier themes without going (too far) up it's own ass.

I mean, KH is hardly a paragon of JRPG writing, but I think KH1 and CoM at least have competently written scenarios and characters.

Famassu

BBS writing was atrocious though. That's not a very high bar...

Terra's entire character arc was a complete mess because none of his decisions made any sense.
BBS dialogue suffers from the same awkwardness 2 & DDD do, but I feel the scenario itself is still compelling enough (especially where everyone ends up) that it's a decently enjoyable story.

Gettung the platinum in dream drop distance is such a grindy endeavour. But I'm relatively close (just bunch of non-difficult grinds left), so might as well finish it. It would be my first platinumed kh.

Also whoever thinks KH 0.2 has good writing, lol. It suffers from exactly the same problems as BBS and 3D (keeps breaking show don't tell rule, inserts vague philosophical friendship monologues everywhere, clusters the lore with more and more retcons and is simply not charming).
0.2 has some awkward & needless lines, but overall the dialogue generally flows a lot better and feels about as natural as it can in a game with these kinds of characters & stories/events. During 2 & DDD I grew to kind of hate or dislike Sora, but the scenes at the end of 0.2 made me not dislike him quite as much as I have in recent games, he felt a bit closer to KH1 Sora than the doofus Sora of DDD. Just seems that with the jump of technology, they've also needed to step up their cutscene direction and dialogue delivery a bit, which makes for... If not good, then at least a lot less awful cutscenes/dialogue.

I mean, one probably can't argue that the dialogue is good in any kind of objective sense, but it's not nearly as bad as KH dialogue has been in recent games and can even be somewhat enjoyable to follow.

Luigi87

Moment when I'm an Elixir->Shotlock combo away from beating the 0.2 final boss on Critical, and I cancel the item use animation by hitting Shotlock too early...

Edit: I really, really hate it's
attack where it just tosses Shadows at you. Staggering attack that is slow enough to cancel out Once More is bull...

abrack08

I was not expecting to really care about Back Cover but I just watched it and thought it was great. The Master especially was really well acted and animated, and very interesting. I dug all the union masters as well. I'm just mad it wasn't actually a complete story... I don't want to deal with the mobile game and I doubt they're making a sequel movie before KH3!

I still thought II wasn't too bad in terms of writing, yeah sure it's all whacky and nonsensical but I think after KH2 it's gotten a bit out of hand personally.

Psxphile

I'm noticing the same games people complain about having bad dialogue are the same ones where the main character(s) don't have companions around at all times to bounce lines off of. I can see most of 3D's writing would work (slightly) better if Donald and Goofy where there to take the idiot ball from Sora.

Maybe.

Vashetti

Banned
I'm noticing the same games people complain about having bad dialogue are the same ones where the main character(s) don't have companions around at all times to bounce lines off of. I can see most of 3D's writing would work (slightly) better if Donald and Goofy where there to take the idiot ball from Sora.

Maybe.

From what little I've played of DDD (I've stopped playing early into the Hunchback world in hopes for a downsampling patch), Donald and Goofy are sorely missed. Sora seems to have regressed beyond his KH1 self for no reason whatsoever.

Nose Master

Maybe.

The best part of 0.2s writing was not having Donald and goofy, imo. I like them as a Disney fan, but they completely drain every scene they're in that's supposed to be serious.
Sora isn't much better

I just finished 0.2. It felt like a tech demo for KH3. But I have really a problem with getting used to that new style. It feels as if KH has lost it souls, it just looks awkward in many situations.

Top Bottom