• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

jennetics

I'm going to continue playing. I'm in Agrabah now and it's already much better than Tarzan world or Wonderland. Still very repetitive though and very little direction on what to do or where to go. I've heard it keeps getting better up until the end and the story seems interesting so far.

Wonderland, Deep Jungle, and
Monstro
were my least favorite worlds. Just all around frustrating, running back and forth, waiting for some cutscene or something. That said, I really liked the other worlds. It gets better!

Thanks for clarifying, that does make sense. Was this game badly optimized for the hardware? Because I know of other games released around the same time that seem like they did more with less, but it could just be nostalgia talking.

I'm going to continue playing. I'm in Agrabah now and it's already much better than Tarzan world or Wonderland. Still very repetitive though and very little direction on what to do or where to go. I've heard it keeps getting better up until the end and the story seems interesting so far.

I do think it gets better for what it's worth. Your criticisms are pretty on par with general criticisms of the series (empty world's being #1), but the first set of worlds in KH are easily my least favorite.

peronmls

Thanks for clarifying, that does make sense. Was this game badly optimized for the hardware? Because I know of other games released around the same time that seem like they did more with less, but it could just be nostalgia talking.

No the game was very well optimized. Like he said. Think of every spawnable enemy in an area. They are also not your typical NPC models. They all have realtime SFX and FX going on with each enemy. Though im sure they cache the spawn locations which helps. Also Im pretty sure they tell you where to go through text box scenes and sometimes you will hunt for things as the game showed you in the beginning on the island. Like "we need to find "so & so". You are suppose to explore at times in the game. You don't need to be told where to go to explore. You will be exploring a lot when you get to hollow bastion. You will not be told to go anywhere.

And this is exactly why I always say that KH1 really isn't the best place to start for newcomers, aside from ushering the beginnings of the plot in a very simplistic manner. It aged horribly in so many areas that a lot of returning players don't mind due to nostalgia. If Tarzan is giving you issues (understandably) a later world will make you pull your hair out.

People usually say that KH1 has the benefit of the most explorable and interactive areas in the whole series (which is true) but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of them are just sloppy to play in and easy to get lost in.

There is a lot to like about it and it has a decently strong endgame but if you do bail out, be sure to play at least KH2 and/or BBS to actually get what the series is about and to experience it at its absolute best. A lot of design choices you dislike are vastly improved.

Mikey Jr.

Man, once you get past the terribly aged KH1 and Com, then its all gravy from there baby! No, really, KH1 is NOT indicative of the series!! At least start with 2 if you are on the verge of bailing.

For me, I just picked up 1.5 2.5 for PS4, and gonna go through them.

I'm just really debating on what to do.

Do I go for the platinum in KH1? That means playing through that fucking thing twice (no, I am not going to speedrun and do proud in one go). And the hardest mode. And spending a bunch of time in that damn game.

Ughhhh. KH has some cheap shit bosses that I fucking despise, and that shit was hard on normal.

Or do I just say "fuck it", play on easy, get all the trophies I can within reason, and be done with that game?

Damn. Getting platinums in all KH games is really god damn tempting though....

Do I go for the platinum in KH1? That means playing through that fucking thing twice (no, I am not going to speedrun and do proud in one go). And the hardest mode. And spending a bunch of time in that damn game.

I am gunning everything, including KH1. While I criticise it a lot I don't dislike it and will enjoy going through it again, for old times sake.

I have plans to play a very detailed first playthrough on Proud, clearing mostly everything and a second playthrough on beginner as a speedrun to finish off the trophy. After getting plat I'm gonna work on stat boosting 'till max. I want to complete that game at 100% and then never touch it again. I played through it enough times and want to give it a deserving send off.

However, I started with BBS (chronologically) to start out strong and I am enjoying myself to no end.

EDIT: Oh hey, we got moved to community.

So this is my first time playing KH, and Deep Jungle might be the WORST designed area in any video game I've ever played. The platforming, especially vine swinging and jumping in that hippo area is beyond frustrating. Why does Sora jump like he's on a broken pogo stick? And there's no guidance, it's just blindly going to different areas hoping for a cutscene to appear. And wtf was with that Clayton fight? What even was that chameleon thing? Suddenly a wall disappears and Clayton starts flying around - am I supposed to believe that wall was an enemy the whole time?

My biggest complaint though is that so far the whole game just feels barren and lifeless (esp. Traverse Town, why are there no people anywhere?) and each "world" is maybe 5-6 small claustrophobic areas with terrible platforming. Feels like Epic Mickey in that way.

I really expected to like this game. I love Disney, I love Square of that era, and I love RPGs. But nothing I love about RPGs is here. The music is droning, 45-second loops. The combat is alright, pretty repetitive though. And don't get me started on the gummi ship. I can see why this game was well-received in 2002 but it has NOT aged well.
Don't feel bad. You're playing a game that's over 10 years with questionable camera controls. I mostly ignored the issues since it was one of my first PS2 game as a kid. I got fucking lost in Monstro back then. Hell, playing for the fifth time currently I almost got lost in Monstro. In regards to the vine, you don't actually have to pay much attention to the swing. As soon as Sora is at the height of his momentum, just keep spamming X. But the levels are indeed confusing at times. I'm breezing through the game but I know what to do. When I didn't, it took some time.

That's why I can't agree with people who say KH1 is the best. I wouldn't present this as the pinnacle of the series. The only thing it has going for it over the others is that the story is pretty straightforward and Disney villains being the main focus. That's all.

I can't wait to start KH2. So in your case, at least play that and see if you don't like the series.

Famassu

This is a hack 'n' slash action RPG. You don't see Diablo fields populated with hundreds of NPCs, not sure why people take issue so much with this particular game's environments not being populated by people. Enemies are what mostly populate these worlds being consumed by darkness.

And you did not just diss the OST of the game in your previous post, did you? D:< Some really great field & battle themes in this franchise, starting from KH1.

So this is my first time playing KH, and Deep Jungle might be the WORST designed area in any video game I've ever played. The platforming, especially vine swinging and jumping in that hippo area is beyond frustrating. Why does Sora jump like he's on a broken pogo stick? And there's no guidance, it's just blindly going to different areas hoping for a cutscene to appear. And wtf was with that Clayton fight? What even was that chameleon thing? Suddenly a wall disappears and Clayton starts flying around - am I supposed to believe that wall was an enemy the whole time?

My biggest complaint though is that so far the whole game just feels barren and lifeless (esp. Traverse Town, why are there no people anywhere?) and each "world" is maybe 5-6 small claustrophobic areas with terrible platforming. Feels like Epic Mickey in that way.

I really expected to like this game. I love Disney, I love Square of that era, and I love RPGs. But nothing I love about RPGs is here. The music is droning, 45-second loops. The combat is alright, pretty repetitive though. And don't get me started on the gummi ship. I can see why this game was well-received in 2002 but it has NOT aged well.

I had to use a guide when I played it when I was a kid because I ended up getting so lost. I think I came back to Wonderland way later because I had no idea where to go to finish that world. I love KH1 to death, but it has some serious issues. Before I replayed the remastered versions, nostalgia was telling me that KH1 was the best game in the series, but KH2 is far and away the best game, and I weirdly didn't appreciate it till now. If you end up not finishing the first game, I would strongly encourage you to give KH2 a shot.

Unknown is such an awesome fight in Kingdom Hearts 1. Too bad he isn't as badass in 2.

It really is. It was honestly the most pleasant surprise in the final mix version. Just a random fun KH2 style fight.

Unknown is such an awesome fight in Kingdom Hearts 1. Too bad he isn't as badass in 2.

Yeah, he's much more aggressive in KH1 than he is in KH2, and some of his KH1 moves (most notably the laser sphere thing) are omitted entirely in KH2. It's too bad; KH2 gives you a much more advanced skillset that could totally handle KH1's hyper-aggressive Xemnas.
Man this KHII opening is such a drag.
Look, if you tried being a gigantic weeb, you'd recognize it as the best part of the entire series and totally not a slog through like eight boring minigames.

Forgot to tell everybody I finally beat that section in KH2 I was bitching about. I had accidentally skipped the pride lands which is why I was so under leveled!

Philippo

Look, if you tried being a gigantic weeb, you'd recognize it as the best part of the entire series and totally not a slog through like eight boring minigames.

Eight boring minigames + boring area (not much to explore) +lots of basic dialogue + bad voice acting + lore elements i'm not grasping at all (wtf is Ansem doing with the guy who helped Riku? Why is Kairi not remembering Sora?) + its just so effing looooong

Mikey Jr.

So I finally decided I'm going to play Kingdom Hearts 1 on easy.

I'm going to skip the speedrun trophy.

My plan is to do all secret bosses, etc on easy. Then if I feel like ramming a few nails into my dick, maybe play proud again one day in the far future.

Quick question though: is there any content that is locked out to me by playing on easy?

I want to do every trophy possible, but I don't want to get to a point where I can't do something because I'm locked out by playing easy.

Bonus question: Does the same apply to com?

So I finally decided I'm going to play Kingdom Hearts 1 on easy.

I'm going to skip the speedrun trophy.

My plan is to do all secret bosses, etc on easy. Then if I feel like ramming a few nails into my dick, maybe play proud again one day in the far future.

Quick question though: is there any content that is locked out to me by playing on easy?

I want to do every trophy possible, but I don't want to get to a point where I can't do something because I'm locked out by playing easy.

Bonus question: Does the same apply to com?

Why not go for the speedrun, and then go back to fill in the gaps? If you rush on easy, you will have loads of time to get the speed run trophy.

I think the only thing you lock yourself out of is viewing the Deep Dive secret movie

Mikey Jr.

Why not go for the speedrun, and then go back to fill in the gaps? If you rush on easy, you will have loads of time to get the speed run trophy.

I think the only thing you lock yourself out of is viewing the Deep Dive secret movie

How much slack is there for the speed run? I don't want to skip cinematics.

How much slack is there for the speed run? I don't want to skip cinematics.

Hmmmm, you should be able to get cutscenes in, I think. I had just beaten the game on proud (so knew where to go in the worlds), skipped cutscenes, did every world, didn't do anything extra and had to do 5-10 levels of grinding for the ending, and clocked in about 8 hours.

Famassu

Eight boring minigames + boring area (not much to explore) +lots of basic dialogue + bad voice acting + lore elements i'm not grasping at all (wtf is Ansem doing with the guy who helped Riku? Why is Kairi not remembering Sora?) + its just so effing looooong
Play/watch Chain of Memories.

And it's not that long. The boring part of it, that is. It gets better near the end of the prologue.

I am getting my ass completely kicked on normal as Terra in bbs lol. I dont remember this game being this hard. I had to use exp walker just to get through radiant garden. (it works btw if you remote play, it doesnt stop your character running in circles)

Philippo

It's totally normal that i didn't understand a single fuck in KHII's prologue right? Aside from CoM events (Sora going to sleep to recover his memories), the rest is completely flying over my head.

Mikey Jr.

It's totally normal that i didn't understand a single fuck in KHII's prologue right? Aside from CoM events (Sora going to sleep to recover his memories), the rest is completely flying over my head.

Correct.

That's the magic.

Enjoy the ride.

Everything will make sense soon.

Psxphile

I hated it at first on 3DS but it seemed less of a problem when playing the Remix version. Drop-Me-Nots and the Drop Decelerator relay bonus keeps it from being too annoying.

I hated it at first on 3DS but it seemed less of a problem when playing the Remix version. Drop-Me-Nots and the Drop Decelerator relay bonus keeps it from being too annoying.

In hind sight, I should of used a drop-me-not, but I wasn't expecting to have to chase Spellican down before actually fighting that teleporting ass bird

Famassu

Fuck the drop mechanic in DDD. What kind of assholes designs bosses designed to be annoying and waste time when you have a built in timer at all times
The drop mechanic is not a problem at all past the first world. You can slow down the meter so much that it takes forever to deplete and you can also extend your time infinitely with drop-me-nots. Basically just slow it down as much as you can and then just keep an eye on the meter and use a drop-me-not when you're about 1-1.5 meters away from it reaching zero (at latest) and you should never run into a situation where you are forced to drop, since bosses should not be taking you so long that 1+ drop meter gauges aren't enough to beat a boss.

I played the HD remaster through in, like, 8 drops and I'm not sure if even from those all were completely necessary.

The drop mechanic is not a problem at all past the first world. You can slow down the meter so much that it takes forever to deplete and you can also extend your time infinitely with drop-me-nots. Basically just slow it down as much as you can and then just keep an eye on the meter and use a drop-me-not when you're about 1-1.5 meters away from it reaching zero (at latest) and you should never run into a situation where you are forced to drop, since bosses should not be taking you so long that 1+ drop meter gauges aren't enough to beat a boss.

I played the HD remaster through in, like, 8 drops and I'm not sure if even from those all were completely necessary.

Yeah, I haven't been using the items much at all which is probably the reason I find it so annoying. Should probably start doing that. On a good note, I manged to get the drop point trophy by accident because of that

I'm usually the type of player who is a sort of a "procedural completionist" when it comes to these sorts of games. Which means I usually tend to complete pretty much every piece of content available at certain game points before moving further in the main campaign. To me, this is great fun because it both feels incredibly rewarding and usually yields great, long term results. It can also remove a lot of the tedium as you feel ahead of the curve and don't feel intimidated to clear big checklists as you're doing them in order of availability.

To illustrate my point, I am currently going through BBS with Platinum being my ultimate goal. I am 30 hours into the campaign and I have completed the following - I got all available abilities, melded/obtained every single command, got all the chests/stickers in available worlds, all ice cream recepies I could, leveled all D-links, cleared all Disney Town minigames (including getting the Ice Cream Beat trophy), beat all command boards I got AND got to arena lvl 27 (which means I got both Ultima Cannon and Ultima Weapon).

The thing is, I did all of that before even stepping foot into Neverland. That isn't even the endgame yet!

Even more amazing, after beating Neverland (and its content) I will get the last Command board possibly allowing me to reach lvl28 in the arena. Essentially, what this means is that I may be able to
fight and defeat The Master's Armor before actually getting to the story Eraqus boss!

NullKaze

I'm usually the type of player who is a sort of a "procedural completionist" when it comes to these sorts of games. Which means I usually tend to complete pretty much every piece of content available at certain game points before moving further in the main campaign. To me, this is great fun because it both feels incredibly rewarding and usually yields great, long term results.
Did you manage to get Trinity Limit before Radiant Garden?

I believe Nomura said that if you do, something special happens (most likely the other two of Aqua and Ven join in your Trinity Limit). I never had the patience to get enough medals for it on PSP.

Did you manage to get Trinity Limit before Radiant Garden?

I believe Nomura said that if you do, something special happens (most likely the other two of Aqua and Ven join in your Trinity Limit). I never had the patience to get enough medals for it on PSP.

I don't think I did. I am sure i didn't have it in my deck. While I had done a lot of the battles beforehand I left excessive medal farming alone until I unlocked the Monstro fight. It's really easy to consistently get 675 medals per 2-3 minute fight using mines. That's when I got all of the exclusive commands and managed to get all abilities due to easily available Abounding Crystals.

I might try that when I get to Ventus/Aqua though! Thanks for pointing it out.

yunbuns

Hmmm...I think I'm finally ready to buy this. I didn't get too far in KH2FM (had only just reached HB) so I'm willing to slog through Roxas' opening again.

I'd say Ventus is a much, much better character than Roxas, but Roxas is just amnesiac Ventus anyway.

I was really prepared to dislike Ventus and in the end he was the only one out of the BBS trio that I liked and cared about in the end.

Philippo

Wow the jump in gameplay options, enemy variety and special actions has made a big leap in KHII. I really need to get used to these Drive forms, any tips? Just done the Beast's Castle for now, but the interiors where really beautiful in HD. The only things that bother me for bow are the map design (that seems less intricated, less jumping puzzle than 1) and and the voice acting, since everyone outside the main trio sounds particulary bad or forced imho.

Also, where was the city around Hollowed Bastion in KHI? Did it come back after sealing the keyhole?

Next up: Mulan's Kingdom i believe!

Wow the jump in gameplay options, enemy variety and special actions has made a big leap in KHII. I really need to get used to these Drive forms, any tips? Just done the Beast's Castle for now, but the interiors where really beautiful in HD. The only things that bother me for bow are the map design (that seems less intricated, less jumping puzzle than 1) and and the voice acting, since everyone outside the main trio sounds particulary bad or forced imho.

Also, where was the city around Hollowed Bastion in KHI? Did it come back after sealing the keyhole?

Next up: Mulan's Kingdom i believe!

Tips for Drive forms? Use them, because they are awesome!

Drive forms can level up and slowly grant Sora abilities that he can use outside of the drive form, such as the high jump from Valor.

Each drive form levels up differently. Valor levels up by landing hits on enemies, and you can look at leveling requirements of other forms in the Status menu as you get more forms. The max levels you can achieve for forms raises, too, as you get more forms.

Forms are a great way to get out of a bind, because they will replenish your HP and MP. They're also just crazy fun to use. If you use drive forms too often, though, something interesting may happen to you :) don't want to spoil what it is, though

Beat DDD finally. The most annoying thing late game this weird choice they made where if you died on a boss, all your commands would be on cool down when you tried the fight again. I'm really fucking glad they didn't have something like this in BBS. If I died during a boss, the next attempt would start with me dodging around for however long waiting for my cures to be usable.

Maybe I'm just getting fatigued with these games, but DDD felt like such a slog compared to the other games. I think the only game I liked less then DDD was CoM

It was....on the other side of the castle?

In my head, sealing the keyhole helped restore the world by removing all that water surrounding the castle and bringing back the land.

I really didn't like how the castle itself is much smaller in KH2 than in KH1.

yunbuns

It was....on the other side of the castle?

In my head, sealing the keyhole helped restore the world by removing all that water surrounding the castle and bringing back the land.

I really didn't like how the castle itself is much smaller in KH2 than in KH1.

Yeah a lot of the 'grandness' of the castle in HB has been lost in the sequels. I hope it's actually explorable in KH3 and not just a bunch of corridors like in KH2.

Yeah, KH1 Hollow Bastion is still the best world in the entire series by far. Occasionally a little bit frustrating, but full of details and puzzles and (by the time you've unlocked it all) multiple routes to get around the place. Artistically lovely and some seriously fantastic field/battle music. It's way more interesting than TWTNW. I'd love to see KH3 return to that kind of complexity.

Yeah, KH1 Hollow Bastion is still the best world in the entire series by far. Occasionally a little bit frustrating, but full of details and puzzles and (by the time you've unlocked it all) multiple routes to get around the place. Artistically lovely and some seriously fantastic field/battle music. It's way more interesting than TWTNW. I'd love to see KH3 return to that kind of complexity.

The complexity of the level design was pretty great in HB, but TWTNW still holds a special place at the top of KH worlds to me because of the atmosphere and gravitas it had.

HB felt clunky from a thematic sense, not really being convincing of people once having lived there, and I still have no idea why the castle sits on top of water the way it does.

TWTNW felt way more in line with what the theme of it was - a world in between existence and non existence. The music was excellent at invoking a sense of emptiness and threat, and it really felt like an endgame kind of world.

In KH2, didn't they only explore the basement of the castle? I think that's why the justified only having the basement corridors, and then fleshing out what was outside of the castle

Top Bottom